rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
tbb

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts N Bolts

Finally got round to playing this. Pretty much spent all weekend playing it. Been doing quite well up to a point, not failing any jiggie challenges, and not having too much trouble with the TTrophies either. But I've unlocked level 5 of Nutty Acres and, as I feared, it just got mad hard.

I struggled with pretty much all the challenges in that level, and I just couldn't do the big balloon dinosaur challenge. Took me ages, and I can't see how to easily shorten my time besides waiting till later in the game when I have some more powerful weapons/parts/blueprints (I've got quite a few already, been all over the hub world and snagged every box I could reach, including som where I needed to cheat a little by using boxes and fences as bridges/climbing frames to reach closed-off places).

Does it stay like this for the rest of the game? Getting progressively harder and requiring increasingly greater mastery of the vehicles? I really enjoyed the difficulty at the start but could see how it could easily get a lot harder with stricter limits and more sphere-bot enemies (which I fucking hate in every concievable way).

Finally got round to playing this. Pretty much spent all weekend playing it. Been doing quite well up to a point, not failing any jiggie challenges, and not having too much trouble with the TTrophies either. But I've unlocked level 5 of Nutty Acres and, as I feared, it just got mad hard.

I struggled with pretty much all the challenges in that level, and I just couldn't do the big balloon dinosaur challenge. Took me ages, and I can't see how to easily shorten my time besides waiting till later in the game when I have some more powerful weapons/parts/blueprints (I've got quite a few already, been all over the hub world and snagged every box I could reach, including som where I needed to cheat a little by using boxes and fences as bridges/climbing frames to reach closed/off places).

Does it stay like this for the rest of the game? Getting progressively harder and requiring increasingly greater mastery of the vehicles? I really enjoyed the difficulty at the start but could see how it could easily get a lot harder with stricter limits and more sphere-bot enemies (which I fucking hate in every concievable way).

It does get quite hard, especially on the final world, but the specific challenge you describe is one of the hardest in the game.

Sometimes you do need to wait till you have some better parts. The very best body and engine parts come very late on, well past the point where you can get enough jiggies to beat Grunty, so you may have to come back later (as I did with this challenge).

However, most of the later challenges can be subverted - throwing faster engines at a challenge isn't always the solution. There are some very creative solutions to a lot of the game's puzzles. Take a look at the leaderboard ghosts if you're truly lacking inspiration.

There's a hidden machine that I had to look up, perhaps that's the one you've missed. It's

in Uptown, if you climb up on the roofs and walk along, there is a bit where you can go down the back of one of the houses (by back I mean the side of the house facing away from uptown) on to a balcony which has a machine. I can't remember how far along the houses it is.

That was it. Thanks! :angry:

That's the lot, 131 in total! Although it wasn't the constant joy of Mario Galaxy's star-collecting (a few tasks were just tedious, frankly), it did a damn fine job of staying interesting, and the hub world is fantastic. I'd never have the patience or the desire to collect all the jiggies in previous Banjo games. This was just so much better and more rewarding.

There are ten notes around town that I will probably never find, but sod it, I'm done.

really starting to enjoy this, but im confused a touch (or just being thick) as i cant for the life of me find nutty acres act 4...

1, 2 and 3 are all pretty much next to one another so where is 4 etc???

really starting to enjoy this, but im confused a touch (or just being thick) as i cant for the life of me find nutty acres act 4...

1, 2 and 3 are all pretty much next to one another so where is 4 etc???

It's somewhere in that same square. Possibly at the other end.

So I let my friend borrow this from me, expecting him to hate it (I let him borrow both Super Mario Galaxy and Batman: Arkham Asylum, he hated those beyond belief), but he's actually in love with this game. He liked it so much he bought it the day after he borrowed my copy and he's simpyl in love with it. I'm really happy that he likes it and I think it's a great game myself, but how he likes it more than Mario Galaxy is beyond me.

So I let my friend borrow this from me, expecting him to hate it (I let him borrow both Super Mario Galaxy and Batman: Arkham Asylum, he hated those beyond belief), but he's actually in love with this game. He liked it so much he bought it the day after he borrowed my copy and he's simpyl in love with it. I'm really happy that he likes it and I think it's a great game myself, but how he likes it more than Mario Galaxy is beyond me.

Your friend sounds like he needs a taste transplant, nuts and bolts is great but not a patch on either of those.

I personally prefer it to Batman, but how anyone can say they even dislike Mario Galaxy a little is beyond me. His reasons make no sense too; he says that all the bosses are the same and the camera doesn't work with the controls. What?

I'm glad he likes N&B, it's a great game that is extremely underrapreciated.

Really enjoying this at the moment, but mainly just the messing about in Showdown Town trying to find crates etc.

I'm still struggling to get my head around the building your own vehicles bit for a specific challenge, and just end up using the existing blueprints, completely defeating the object of the game. I guess it's just a bit overwhelming being able to create anything you can think up and I'm not very creative.

For example, the challenge where you (not sure if this needs spoilering or not)

have to defend Clankers eyes in Banjoland

, I just can't do it at all and can't think of a vehicle to build that will help me. If someone could give me a hint to what they built for this challenge it would help me to see how the thinking behind it all works, but those gruntbot ball things are just the most annoying cunts in the world.

A handy hint (or cheat) for any level is - look at the videos on the leaderboards. Some of them will allow you to save the blueprint that goes with the video. That really is cutting a lot out of the game, but just looking at the videos will give you ideas.

As for Clankers eyes, you dont need a vehicle really! I started off with an egg gun equipped tank, but that only worked for the first few seconds as it was impossible to turn round and aim quickly enough. So I ended up jumping out and whacking the bots with the wrench, which worked fine.

As for Clankers eyes, you dont need a vehicle really! I started off with an egg gun equipped tank, but that only worked for the first few seconds as it was impossible to turn round and aim quickly enough. So I ended up jumping out and whacking the bots with the wrench, which worked fine.

Yeah I tried that a few times but got so over run with them that I didn't last long at all. I also tried a tank with the egg gun, helicopter with egg gun, a big wide pusher thing to stop them getting close to the eyes, all sorts.

I'll give it another shot tonight and also watch the videos as you suggested, thanks for that.

I did Clankers eyes with an egg turret. The rest of the vehicle just need to be built so you can move into a good position, jump out vehicle, get in turret and just sit there and shoot them until it's over. It's possible you don't have an egg turret yet, just wait until you do then come back to it.

Yeah, Clankers Eyes can be done on foot. Probably not that pretty but it can be done.

However, watch the top leaderboard video and somebody has built a vehicle that fires forwards and sideways, driven over to where the enemies appear from and just wasted them as soon as they come out.

Don't worry about being creative at the beginning, just get through the challenges, get the jiggies and get the main town open and your initial vehicle upgraded, then start to explore it and get more crates. That's when you can start getting creative with the vehicles for different challenges.

I did Clankers eyes with an egg turret. The rest of the vehicle just need to be built so you can move into a good position, jump out vehicle, get in turret and just sit there and shoot them until it's over. It's possible you don't have an egg turret yet, just wait until you do then come back to it.

Yeah not got the turret yet, I did think that it may come down to a part I don't yet have.

Don't worry about being creative at the beginning, just get through the challenges, get the jiggies and get the main town open and your initial vehicle upgraded, then start to explore it and get more crates. That's when you can start getting creative with the vehicles for different challenges.

Cheers for this, I've just gone back and read through loads of this thread and have seen alot of people saying the same thing, that the vehicle building really clicks around the 20 jiggies mark, I've only just unlocked the Jiggyseum world which from the sounds of it will really get me started on the creation side of things with some of the challenges.

To be honest though I am more than happy with this game just messing around in Showdown Town ;)

Reading this thread makes me think of the great times I had with this game, up until every challenge became a chore and had my arse handed to me in every single one of those "protect" challenges. Just thinking about that Clankers Eyes challenge makes me fill with rage! The weapon aiming in this game being utter tosh was my main gripe - quite a big gripe too as most challenges involved shooting stuff.

Such a shame, cos as binbam says above - I had a well good time at the beginning, and messing around in Showdown Town. ;)

I picked this up new nice and cheap for £7.49 so I thought I'd give it a go I'm not sure so far, I can't be bothered doing my own builds, so I'm just working off existing and bought in blueprints. It's quite a collectathon, and a bit dull with stock vehicles.. hoping it picks up soon

I picked this up new nice and cheap for £7.49 so I thought I'd give it a go I'm not sure so far, I can't be bothered doing my own builds, so I'm just working off existing and bought in blueprints. It's quite a collectathon, and a bit dull with stock vehicles.. hoping it picks up soon

It's one of those games where you really get out what you put in. The more you create, the more you enjoy the challenges. I'm still not very far into it but I love getting a new challenge and wondering just how I could have done it better.

Oh, and the Jiggyseum is one of the most graphically impressive things these jaded eyes has seen in a long time. After my argument about GOW2 being the best looking thing on the 360, I have now revised that decision. The levels in this are just jaw dropping.

got this from game.co.uk with my reward points but i just find myself aimlessly driving around, what the hell am i meant to be doing? i'm near the start, got my first little trolley car thing and that's about it.

the cows are absolutely hilarious though

mooooooooooo

You havent noticed the magical doorway in the centre of town (has a "1" above it)?

That takes you to a new map with some characters who give you challenges.

(I think you might actually have to read the instructions if you haven't got that far yet)

He's mentioning the cows, which I think you first see in the first level, so I think he's got that far.

Once you're in the level, just drive towards one of the holograms of the characters that you see and they'll give you a challenge. If you can't see a hologram, look on your map and head towards one of the jiggy symbols.

yeah i've done a few bits, a couple of races i think or something of the sort? just ended up driving around and then back again.. i think it's because the subtitles are so boring and slow/clunky i don't bother to read them really, i wish they spoke english.

some of the dialogue can be quite amusing though "sorry if it's an obvious question, but why are you sitting next to a ticking bomb?"

"this metal bird fell out the sky and i poked it with a stick, and it started ticking!"

that's the latest part i remember, or something along those lines. seems like a pretty decent game but just confusing, is it meant for kids? i never played any of the others either so that might be why i'm confused too.. going to stick it on later and just try and read the subtitles properly to see what i'm meant to be doing.

I think this is slowly becoming one of my favourite games ever now, it really has clicked now with the creation aspect and me and my girlfriend just can't stop playing it, started last night after work at about 7pm and the next thing we knew it was midnight, and still didn't want to finish as we had just unlocked another new act / got some more new parts etc which we immediatly thought ahh that will be perfect for such and such task.

It's utterly fantastic, and is also probably the best game to play with a few joints since Monkey Ball 1.