IGNORED

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts N Bolts

Thread Owner

Obviously there's one or two exceptions across the whole of the genre but I'd say the hit rate for 3D platformers is 95% +.

To clarify - they weren't totally shit, and were reasonably enjoyable. Also, there's more classics than average games in the genre.

Oh, and Vexx was brilliant!

How did I know Vexx was about to be mentioned.

You crazy mofo!

SM64 was to me like eating at a well respected chain restaurant, like Loch Fyne, you sortof know what you're going to get, and its really enjoyable. BK is The Fat Duck, you're just bombarded with amazing micro-tastes, the christmas tree conveyor-belt with the hammer was my first, and all the rest, just awesome. And like Do and Paradime mentioned the game-board of fun, which was insane, and brilliant followed by the show-down with Gruntilda. RARE.

The only thing that is better on Mario64 is that you can replay each 'star'. On Banjo, once you get a jiggy you can't go back and play that one again. (I loved the races against Boggy on Freezeasy Peak so much that just before I got to the end, I'd automaticaly lose just so I could do it again)

Also, the aural goodness of the game.

Rascal...Toy Story...Vexx...

Nah, Spyro is actually pretty good. I've 100%'d the first two and only played Spyro 2 for the first time last year and really enjoyed it.

The three PS1 Insomniac developed Spyro games are excellent; especially the second and third one. The current gen ones are crap though.

Why are we looking forward to this? Because i think everyone knows that BK was better than mario 64 but people are just too scared to say it!

I loved Banjo, i thought it was amazing. I remember the first time i played through it. The music grabbed me, the characters were fantastic. Things that spring to mind straight away are Turning into the washing machine for the first time, the haunted house level, Flying for the first time, shitting eggs into the bucket, the four seasons level, the music fadeing in and out depending on where you were in a level, the mole and kazooie arguing, oh oh and the game show ending was fantastic oh and selecting your game... banjo on a gameboy

Also do you remember all the talk and rumours about what you do with the final couple of puzzle parts. And that door that wouldn't open.

A can't believe i never played tooie... regret it to this day.

He's right though, it's better in every way. Every level in BK is so perfectly streamlined as to defy belief. There's so much going on in each level and everything is wonderfully balanced and laid out. The puzzles are hard but doable at every stage. There's loads of humour. The music's miles better, as are the graphics. BK's range of abilities is better and the collecting aspect is handled perfectly because you don't need everything to complete the game. Mario 64 never really had any must-tell anecdotal moments. BK is chock full of them.

Everyone remember the first time they flew? Ahh...

He's right though, it's better in every way. Every level in BK is so perfectly streamlined as to defy belief. There's so much going on in each level and everything is wonderfully balanced and laid out. The puzzles are hard but doable at every stage. There's loads of humour. The music's miles better, as are the graphics. BK's range of abilities is better and the collecting aspect is handled perfectly because you don't need everything to complete the game. Mario 64 never really had any must-tell anecdotal moments. BK is chock full of them.

Everyone remember the first time they flew? Ahh...

i remember the first time i flew in Mario 64 more.

Mario64 is only better to those who like to see Mario the character. If Mario64 has a different playable character you wouldn't like it as much. It's still a good game. But there's no magic

TRUFAX!!

Banjo Kazooie is Mario 64 with a different playable character, just like every other cartoony 3D platformer.

I think if both Mario 64 and BK came out at the same time people would be praising BK more then Mazza.

I think its because those who are judging M64 to be better is because, quite rightly, your first experence with that game is so amazing, so good and a first of its kind (at the time) that no other 3D platformer can compare to M64's first experence.

But even gamers who were PSone owners and played M64 later on said they didn't see what all the fuss was about. M64 was more about getting us used to a new generation and having a excellent time in the process.

If you compare BK and M64 side by side, I really would judge the former as a overall better game. We've all played both to death, getting 100 jiggies or 120 stars over and over, doing speed runs and just being facinated over the games. But Banjo really did try more. Music and moreso charecter is where Banjo takes the lead. The gameplay for all collect-em-ups is around the same (as long as its not a jumbled mess like DK64).

I want to go to Gruntys lair and listen to her rhymes again.

Can't wait, but like many have stated: Can Rare do justice?

Yeah. Also with better levels, better design, better sound, MORE FUN...

Earth has it right... see above

Anyway.... theres been too many threads like this already in the past. Banjo Threesixteeei then?

I rather it be called Banjo-Threeie as intended. (And as a running gag to the endings).

I think if both Mario 64 and BK came out at the same time people would be praising BK more then Mazza.

Mario 64 still stands up to scrutiny today in fact it is still by far the greatest 3D platformer. on the other hand BK has juddering frame rates, and is ultimately just about collecting. i believe the term collect-a-thon was born from this game.

Mario 64 still stands up to scrutiny today in fact it is still by far the greatest 3D platformer. on the other hand BK has juddering frame rates, and is ultimately just about collecting. i believe the term collect-a-thon was born from this game.

People who judge any game by the number of frames per second annoy me to hell and back. Nevertheless if you want this a graphics match BK had much more as stated in previous posts by other members.

Are you saying also that Mario 64 is not a collect-me-doo? Wrong-me-answer.

EDIT:Put on Mario 64 on the PAL console after playing the DS version. You will cry. (fraaaaaaames!)

Mario 64 wasn't wholly reliant on meaningless collecting to progress, so it's better if only for that.

You needed 70 stars to fight the last Bowser battle in M64.

You needed 94 Jiggies (and 880ish notes if memory serves) to fight Gruntilda.

Even though the difference is vaster in more things you need, neither of these games were forcing you to do specific Jiggies.

You want to know the one advantage M64 has? Having all your moves from the start, whilst the levels being like tests to see if you're learning those skills.

It doesn't make it the better game.

People who judge any game by the number of frames per second annoy me to hell and back. Nevertheless if you want this a graphics match BK had much more as stated in previous posts by other members.

Are you saying also that Mario 64 is not a collect-me-doo? Wrong-me-answer.

EDIT:Put on Mario 64 on the PAL console after playing the DS version. You will cry. (fraaaaaaames!)

well i'm happy to annoy the hell out of you. who are you anyway? in any case, unstable frame rates break the illusion and remove control from the player. BK is gulity of this on quite a few occasions.