Banjo Kazooie: Nuts N Bolts

MS have released a statement (from NeoGAF)

?There is no truth to this speculation," reads an official statement. "Ken?s comment is in reference to rotating the left analog stick while hitting the X-button to move different things in the game.?

MS have released a statement (from NeoGAF)

?There is no truth to this speculation," reads an official statement. "Ken?s comment is in reference to rotating the left analog stick while hitting the X-button to move different things in the game.?

Riiiiiiiiiiight :) See you at E3, then.

We'll see. Ken's a pretty articulate bloke. I think he meant 'twist the controller'.

The whole contruction aspect of the game is crying out for a pointer. And Kazooie's role seem to be wielding a spanner which says motion controls to me. If there's any truth to the rumour of MS bringing out a motion control device then this game is going to using it.

We'll know next week anyhow.

Rare told Eurogamer there is no truth to rumours there will be motion control functionality in Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.

"While we are usually loathe to comment on rumour and speculation," the spokesperson said, "This is a red herring. The game does not feature motion control."

"It's good enough as it is, to be honest," he added.

[JPickford] got all excited after a video appeared on IGN. In it, Microsoft's Ken Lobb mentioned Kazooie's wrench is used for turning devices, adding, "You twist the controller around and it'll move different things in the game."

Turns out he was talking about twisting the left analog stick, not the whole controller. Ah.

Indeed. But if they don't have motion controls then it's one more thing for Sony to 'brag' about having, so in Microsoft's eyes it's essential.

They shouldn't bother.

If MS turn their hands to it, they'll certainly do it better than MS, who have had a long time to consider their move in this area.

Personally, I don't really see why it would be embarrassing for MS to at least partially engage in it, it makes complete sense to do so, and of course it could benefit us, the consumers.

If MS turn their hands to it, they'll certainly do it better than MS, who have had a long time to consider their move in this area.

Personally, I don't really see why it would be embarrassing for MS to at least partially engage in it, it makes complete sense to do so, and of course it could benefit us, the consumers.

Saywhaa?

I'm sticking with it.

And I'm not 'all excited' I hope it's wrong. It'll be an embarrassment for MS if they release a wiimote clone.

In the short term maybe. Everyone was loling at Sony when they unveiled the sixaxis as a rip off in concept and shoed in as a response to Nintendo but no one cares about that now. And how they said rumble was last gen- and yet people are getting excited and prasing the dual shock 3. No one really remembers in the long term.

The same way how people were laughing at the name Wii or how rumble. analogue controls, xbox live->psn have all been "following the innovater" at some point- all these things are accepted in due time and forgotten as long as there some good games to help us forget any embarrassment.

I'm all for copying good ideas as long as they copy them well.

I'm sticking with it.

And I'm not 'all excited' I hope it's wrong. It'll be an embarrassment for MS if they release a wiimote clone.

I still think they will.

From the previews of viva pinata 2, I wouldn't be surprised if that used a motion controller too.

Why? Did Nintendo nail the concept?

Wow. Nice try.

No, I think MS would be better playing to their strengths at this point. They should get the price down if possible rather than attempt to copy Nintendo. I think it would look embarrassing, doubly so if they fail at it. Releasing a new controller at this stage is always going to be risky.

Anyway, they seem to have denied this again so perhaps it is bollocks.

Wow. Nice try.

No, I think MS would be better playing to their strengths at this point. They should get the price down if possible rather than attempt to copy Nintendo. I think it would look embarrassing, doubly so if they fail at it. Releasing a new controller at this stage is always going to be risky.

Anyway, they seem to have denied this again so perhaps it is bollocks.

Thats true- it is very late in to try and pull it off.

I agree that this could be seen as a desperate attempt to cash in on Nintendos idea and if it's a complete flop the interwebs and the consumer aren't going to forget about it in a hurry. My doubts get pushed into the background though when I think about the potential of Live Arcade and the type of imaginitive titles that could appear if they MS got the controller in enough homes. As well as Viva Pinata 2 and Banjo 360 I was thinking that there could be a lot of potential for Halo Wars to be a compatible title.

Everyone was loling at Sony when they unveiled the sixaxis as a rip off in concept and shoed in as a response to Nintendo but no one cares about that now. And how they said rumble was last gen- and yet people are getting excited and prasing the dual shock 3. No one really remembers in the long term.

Well yeah the embarrasment might fade but it didn't get them anywhere either. The whole sixaxis thing has been a negative rather than a positive. Perhaps if the motion control side of things had been a roaring success for Sony then it might might justify the initial response.

Well yeah the embarrasment might fade but it didn't get them anywhere either. The whole sixaxis thing has been a negative rather than a positive. Perhaps if the motion control side of things had been a roaring success for Sony then it might might justify the initial response.

No doubt- that's half my point really- they tried and failed (mostly because it was crap) but no one really cares, and as a result games don't really focus on it. If MS pull off something decent- it could be really good for a couple of games and if not, it'll just go away after trying on a few games and not working and no one will care. No loss to us really the same way sixaxis isn't a loss to any PS3 owner.

No loss to us really the same way sixaxis isn't a loss to any PS3 owner.

I think it hurt Sony, maybe not massively but it was a bad move. The last thing MS need is *anything* negative at this point. They have an amazing console and the best range of gamer-type games yet there is a perception that they are falling behind. I think their real competition is PS3 and they'd be better off focusing on their strengths relative to that machine (tell people that their range of games is better, their online service is absolutely the best and point out that multiformat games tend to run better) and perhaps focus on doing what Sony can't - drop prices. Maybe they need to make Live free.

Moving into Nintendo territory is a big step and I don't think it's something they can do as a side project.

I think it hurt Sony, maybe not massively but it was a bad move. The last thing MS need is *anything* negative at this point. They have an amazing console and the best range of gamer-type games yet there is a perception that they are falling behind. I think their real competition is PS3 and they'd be better off focusing on their strengths relative to that machine (tell people that their range of games is better, their online service is absolutely the best and point out that multiformat games tend to run better) and perhaps focus on doing what Sony can't - drop prices. Maybe they need to make Live free.

Moving into Nintendo territory is a big step and I don't think it's something they can do as a side project.

Agree completely. I was just thinking on our terms as a consumer that a company funding a risk on their behalf that could lead to another way to play games is fine, but for them it's a very risky move and that's moving their focus away from their core strength ("hardcore/traditional gamers").

The only way I think they can pull it off as long as they don't define it as Nintendo territory or make it feel that way. You can already get wii type mice for the pc now-and following in that vein simply more of an extention of a mouse seeing as games for windows/pc games and the 360 share a lot of the same library and type of games. On the wii its there to simulate a remote that translates natural actions into the game- if on the 360 they use it to emulate simply deeper control for a certain element/genre of games it could work fine. Banjo Kazooie, Halo Wars and Alan Wake sure ain't wii sports/play or carnival games and even if a copycat remote is used I'm sure it will feel different enough because of the software.

Obviously they're biting after some of the wii cake though so everything I've said is probably crap

I also think that as neat as it would be to play viva 2 or banjo using a wii remote the problem additional peripherals always face is long term support by other developers.

The Wii Remote can be used by all developers (as can the motion controls, however bad they are, on the PS3). If the 360 gets a Wii Remote bundled with one or both of the above great. But then how many developers will make games which make exclusive use of the Remote?

Not many. If you chose an additional peripheral you are chasing a sub-set of a sub-set. IE loads of people may buy banjo and the remote, but how many of that loads will buy your game? Is it enough to justify making the game? Probably not.

You can see the same happening with the Wii Fit board which many games are supporting, but none to my knowledge exclusively. Skate it uses Wii Remote, Wii Remote and Nunchuk or Balance board, the recent Namco skiing game is the same. Why? Because why appeal to just the Wii Fit audience now when you can appeal to all Wii users.

The problem MSoft face in my option (and, for phelan, I love my 360) is they lack originality. They have loads of good games but most of them are the pinnacle of an existing genre. Which there is nothing wrong with inherently but I think there is a systemic problem in MSofts approach to approving games. They seem to need to tick boxes.

Look at Scene it (phelan and I were looking at it in a shop today and talked about this), it is a MSoft peripheral with one game supporting it. It is purely made to jump on the me too Buzz band wagon. At least Sony follow through and support these brands and build them up. There are a lot of rumours at the moment of other big Sony style family franchises being 'emulated' on the 360. My worry for MSoft is they are not carving their own nieche. They are trying to have doppelganger versions of other titles on their hardware in the mistaken belief that it will bring people to their machine.

The thing that both Sony and Nintendo have is uniqueness. Now Sony have lost a lot with the PS3 and the various mistakes they have made, but at least they invest a lot in creating unique and new types of franchises. Buzz, Singstar and Eye Toy are all great, new and unique forms of entertainment. Nintendo clearly have done the same.

Microsoft (and phelan this is for you, cos I know you think I hate 360 atm) have an amazing machine, and some really great games and they have LIVE which to me is their biggest innovation (which with achievements and gamertags makes 360 so cool and intertwines all your games with your friends and your life). But they need to stop worrying about the competition and start forging their own path. They need to stop using focus groups to make decisions and take risks. They out of all the big 3 have the most cash to spend on taking risks.

I really hope this E3 is their best but if it comes down to a Singstar rip off and a Wii Remote rip off they might get worse publicity than they imagine...

The problem MSoft face in my option (and, for phelan, I love my 360) is they lack originality. They have loads of good games but most of them are the pinnacle of an existing genre. Which there is nothing wrong with inherently but I think there is a systemic problem in MSofts approach to approving games. They seem to need to tick boxes.

Look at Scene it (phelan and I were looking at it in a shop today and talked about this), it is a MSoft peripheral with one game supporting it. It is purely made to jump on the me too Buzz band wagon. At least Sony follow through and support these brands and build them up. There are a lot of rumours at the moment of other big Sony style family franchises being 'emulated' on the 360. My worry for MSoft is they are not carving their own nieche. They are trying to have doppelganger versions of other titles on their hardware in the mistaken belief that it will bring people to their machine.

The thing that both Sony and Nintendo have is uniqueness. Now Sony have lost a lot with the PS3 and the various mistakes they have made, but at least they invest a lot in creating unique and new types of franchises. Buzz, Singstar and Eye Toy are all great, new and unique forms of entertainment. Nintendo clearly have done the same.

This sums up my view perfectly :)

Microsoft's lack of major first-party development really harms them in this regard. They are way more reliant on third parties for titles than Sony so the the creativity needs to come from outside. However with the way they have backed themselves into the "hardcore" demographic it makes it harder for third parties to see creative, risky games as viable. In contrast Sony can produce games like Afrika from one of their own development studios. Even if a third party does create a unique game it is likely to go multiplatform anyway to cover costs.

Of course there is Xbox live Arcade but that isn't going to have the same effect as the phenomona of Buzz! OR Singstar.