rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Gwynster

Alan Wake: Tramp gamers, take a hike!

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Yeah, I don't do PC gaming. Though I may soon...

When you do, do like I did: hook the PC up to the same telly as the X and use an XB1 controller for ULTIMATE console gaming experience - 4k/60 on everything, baby! - and also hook it up to a decent monitor on a desk for certain m+kb games. Even better ifyou now have Game Pass Ultimate, which also includes a bunch of PC stuff. Old games like Alan Wake should run at max settings on a potato nowadays.

• Upvote 1

Reach is coming to MCC Halo 3 (360 version ) got enhanced for X.

Anyway Alan Wake remaster probably on the cards and multiplatform based on recent news, this of course has been declared to mean Sony buying Remedy and Alan Wake 2 to be PS5 exclusive by playstation youtubers desperate for some shit to throw at Xbox.

Edit: Negged by playstation youtuber desperate to throw shit at Xbox

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4
  • Empathy 1

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Yeah, I don't do PC gaming. Though I may soon...

I resent that accusation! It's anything less than 720p. ;)

So is this really 540p on Xbox? I tested Halo Reach this morning, the lighting is glorious, but the res is so low it looks rough as fuck on a 4kTV. :(

It's definitely sub-720p on Xbox, I remember there being a shitstorm about it on neogaf given the PC version had been cancelled and this was the only way to play the game at the time.

Even in 2011 I remember it looking a bit soft and blurry. Bet it still looks good cleaned up but I have no real desire to play it on a 4k TV in its current form.

Regarding my issues getting the game started. I am a twat. Spot the fucking difference:

image.png.005ce57c2676a4a7bfe207b0b2914b55.png

:facepalm: It's installing now. 

• Upvote 9
  • Empathy 1

They certainly wouldn't let me buy it. Also, you edited that little comment in, originally your post was just "Lol". You went and edited it to have a little dig. You fragile little fanboy. :lol:

• Upvote 1

I've been playing nice all day.

Lol's not a very good post. Kinda like negging with no words to back it up. Not aimed at you, just the fragile little fanboy's who still can't take winning the generation in good sport.

Looking forward to your OMG my eyes are full of dung assessment of the visuals once you're up and running.

• Downvote 3

Aaaaaaanyway. This actually looks alright on a 4k TV. It's a very soft image. But that's preferable to the jagged image from Halo Reach I saw this morning. What's really bad in this is the character models - they are terrible compared to today's games. But the atmosphere, the feel ... it's all there. :)

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Thor said:

They certainly wouldn't let me buy it.  

This thread made me buy it on steam. Apparently the game was removed from all stores several times due to a music license, and a song has now been removed from the game

The music industry:

this-fucking-guy.jpg.4e3db5d475896bd2d4969f6e0ba8c4e4.jpg

That article doesn't actually state a song was removed.

I just finished the game. Forgot how rubbish the final level was in terms of gameplay and cheap deaths, and the ending is a bit ... hmmm... still a great game overall.

I'd completely forgotten about Barry's christmas lights, and flaming eye of mordor. :lol:

The Writer DLC has a more satisfying ending than the main game if you didn't play it. The ending of the main game seemed too focussed on setting up a sequel that, of course, never came.

As gospvg said in his thread, this is free on the Epic Store for PC. I've turned everything up as far as it will go, and it's running at 4k60. It's amazing! :)

No need for a remaster if you got the PC version :D

And just to emphasize for those who've missed it: like Thor says it's currently FREE on the Epic Store. Even if you don't have a gaming PC right now, go to the website and create an account and get Alan Wake. It's yours to keep and being an older game even a potato PC can run it at 4k/60

The only thing that upsets me is Alan's wife. The facial animation obviously isn't the best these days anyway, but my god her ghastly image waking you up at the start is the biggest nightmare ever. The poor woman looks in constant pain whilst trying to smile.

Aside from that it's still a real good looker.

So there seems to be a bit of a rumour going round of this getting remastered for Switch, PS4 and Xbone with Virtuous handling the port. Would be nice, if true. 

• Upvote 1

I've been playing it on PC this week for the first time, I've no idea why I never got round to it before.  Such a great game. 

Do Quantum Break and Control go for the same sort of cheesy movie melodrama?

53 minutes ago, PK said:

I've been playing it on PC this week for the first time, I've no idea why I never got round to it before.  Such a great game. 

Quantum Break is nowhere near as camp or schlocky as Alan Wake, even though it deals with very b-movie-ish ideas. It's very slick and confident, and manages to take a ridiculous concept and make it seem believable - it's really well-told, and does a good job of putting across the terror you'd feel at the prospect of an experiment that caused time to stop - but the tone is quite different to Remedy's other games.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, mdn2 said:

So there seems to be a bit of a rumour going round of this getting remastered for Switch, PS4 and Xbone with Virtuous handling the port. Would be nice, if true. 

Tramp gamers hiking on current gen! :omg:

Switch tramps can take a hike while taking a hike :omg:

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Thor said:

I found it dull. But have it on good authority it gets better, so I may return to it.

It really doesn't. I'm a huge fan of Remedy's games and especially their style since the first Max Payne, but QB was a huge disappointment for me. Nowhere near their usual standards. I suspect that if, like me, you found it dull on first impressions, you will find it dull all the way through, like me. I don't know what authority you're referring to, but the game doesn't change at all as it goes on. The powers remain dull and uncreative, the story and characters remain flat, and the usual Remedy atmosphere remains absent. The only major shakeup is the final boss, who is surprisingly frustrating compared to everything that you encountered up until that point. 

• Upvote 1

Add me as another who didn't really rate Quantum Break. I played it a couple of years ago and it was that forgettable I would struggle to tell you anything about it today. I still think Alan Wake is Remedy's best game even though I haven't played Control yet. 

3 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Add me as another who didn't really rate Quantum Break. I played it a couple of years ago and it was that forgettable I would struggle to tell you anything about it today. I still think Alan Wake is Remedy's best game even though I haven't played Control yet. 

It's because you haven't played Control yet. ;)

Thought I have to admit, Alan Wake just has that little something which Control lacks. On the other hand, Control has the more satisfying ending.

4 hours ago, PK said:

Hang on, you’ve a dual-core cpu?

... maybe I shouldn’t have read this threat from the start...

• Upvote 1