rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Gwynster

Alan Wake: Tramp gamers, take a hike!

American Nightmare is kind of hard to describe but it's basically just more of the Alan Wake story but which exists in its own little world. I think Remedy were aware that Alan Wake probably wouldn't be getting a proper sequel at this point so the ending is a hedge your bets kind of affair where it simultaneously leaves things open and acts as something of an ending.

Basically after finishing the main game you need to go The Signal - The Writer - American Nightmare if you want to get the most out of the series.

• Upvote 2

Ahh yes American Nightmare lol, what's Undead Nightmare? (powers on 360, looks through Aurora cover flow) It's only bloody Red Dead's DLC/expansion, Doh!. Something I was literally playing two days ago. Don't know whether that helps me with the reason for misnaming or makes me even dozier haha. Anyway, cheers for the tips. I'm actually just about to get on it.

I've started playing this (finished the far too long episode 3 last night) and am really struggling with it. I'm finding it very dull and whilst the central mechanic is decent, nothing interesting has happened with it. I also find all the forest looks pretty much the same so the environment isn't doing anything for me either. I'll finish it, mainly because I've got as far as I have, but I'm certainly not enjoying it a great deal. What am I missing?

59 minutes ago, Gabe said:

@Gizamaluke Ok, but why am I wrong? What do others enjoy about it?

I loved the atmosphere and story, and it gripped me from start to finish. One of my favourite games of the previous generation, and the last really good Remedy game. If it ain't grabbing you by now, then it's probably never going to grab you. 

• Upvote 1

For me it was the combination of 90s TV inspiration (X-Files, Twin Peaks, The Outer Limits reboot), Stephen King storytelling and that perfect episodic structure. Having Poe on the soundtrack didn't hurt either.

• Upvote 3

I think if you take a break between episodes you'll probably enjoy it a bit more. If you plough through them without breaks it does have a tendency to get a little samey.

The later episodes feature the town more prominently so you might find them a bit more enjoyable too.

Funny thing about Alan Wake is I didn't really get it on initial release on Xbox. Not sure why but something about the PC version clicked with me and I pretty much play through it every year. I've played through the game 6 times now I think. 

As Spacehost said, it's the closest we'll probably ever get to Stephen King the game.

• Upvote 2

I enjoyed the game overall, its atmosphere etc, but it was also pretty daft (and that's from me the Stephen King fan!) and imo overstayed its welcome a bit as it felt very repetitive down the line. I think it probably just hasn't aged that well, and so it will mean very different things to those who played it when it first came out than to those who play it years after release.

I'm just hoping that the fact Microsoft bothered to renew the music licenses for a 9 year old game that didn't sell too well means they're prepping a One X patch for it, and probably putting it on GamePass. I can't really see why they'd bother otherwise.

If there's a single 360 game that needs a One X patch it's Alan Wake. I want to replay it but not in 540p.

3 hours ago, Gizamaluke said:

As Spacehost said, it's the closest we'll probably ever get to Stephen King the game.

It's probably the closest we'll ever get to "I am very influenced by horror writers such as Stephen King and Stephen King. Did I mention that I liked Stephen King? Well, welcome to my game which might remind you of Stephen King".

7 hours ago, Gabe said:

I've started playing this (finished the far too long episode 3 last night) and am really struggling with it. I'm finding it very dull and whilst the central mechanic is decent, nothing interesting has happened with it. I also find all the forest looks pretty much the same so the environment isn't doing anything for me either. I'll finish it, mainly because I've got as far as I have, but I'm certainly not enjoying it a great deal. What am I missing?

I was pretty bored when I played it a few years back.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

23 hours ago, Gabe said:

What about the way that lights present in-game drive the player forward? Risk and reward set pieces?

Spoiler

the lodge?

The music stage?

the dam?

fuck the lumberyard though.

I don't really consider it risk and reward because there's no reason to stay in any one place anyway - enemies don't respawn and only appear at trigger points. I'd say when to focus your torch to slow enemies down vs trying to run and dodge is more of a risk/reward component.

As @Majora says, I might enjoy being around the town a bit more than the woods.

It's all building up for Control to be one of the books Alan's been writing whilst off getting high!

Very good news.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

Can't the tramp gamers come back now then?

Of course - even tramp gamers can play the game nicely these days! 

That said, Alan's wife always gives me nightmares - the rendering of her in particular always felt like the stuff of pure horror.

When she smiles at you...she's evil.

On 02/07/2019 at 12:09, Mike1812 said:

Can't the tramp gamers come back now then?

Judging by Control I’d say probably not. 

I'd really like to replay it but not in 540p...I was hoping it would get the X-Enhanced treatment but alas.

Maybe Remedy getting the rights back from MS will mean we'll get a remaster or something.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Yeah, using the disc. I then tried to buy the game on the store. "Not available in your area". :(

When you put the disc in it should ask you to install it when you select the disc tile on the homepage. To be frank I played the intro and it looked rough, really rough bearing in mind your drunk critiques of anything less than 1080p you're probably best letting it go.

3 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

When you put the disc in it should ask you to install it when you select the disc tile on the homepage. To be frank I played the intro and it looked rough, really rough bearing in mind your drunk critiques of anything less than 1080p you're probably best letting it go.

PC version at 4k also an option of course

4 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

PC version at 4k also an option of course

Yeah, I don't do PC gaming. Though I may soon...

8 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

I resent that accusation! It's anything less than 720p. ;)

So is this really 540p on Xbox? I tested Halo Reach this morning, the lighting is glorious, but the res is so low it looks rough as fuck on a 4kTV. :(

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Yeah, I don't do PC gaming. Though I may soon...

I resent that accusation! It's anything less than 720p. ;)

So is this really 540p on Xbox? I tested Halo Reach this morning, the lighting is glorious, but the res is so low it looks rough as fuck on a 4kTV. :(

Isn’t Reach X enhanced now?