rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Gwynster

Alan Wake: Tramp gamers, take a hike!

You can replay specific bits of chapters from the main menu iirc.

Really? That'd be helpful if true.

Might just give up on manuscript pages and see if it's any fun when you just run through as quick as possible without trying to take anything in.

I enjoyed AW much, much more when I played through on PC recently on easy mode and just took it all in. And yeah, the last thing this game ever needed was gotta catch em all thermos flasks. The story pages kinda fit, but it never really bothered me when I missed a few.

Maybe they are just remnants from when it was all supposed to be a free roam deal or something...

The thermos' are kinda stupid but I like the random manuscripts - they go with the whole head fuck story.

I really like this game, finished Chapter 4 earlier. Just take it all in, it's not particularly difficult.

Alright i'll bite

Let's fill the game with tiny near-invisible collectibles.

You don't need to collect anything to enjoy the game, it's just added replay value.

Let's give them to the player in a random order so it's impossible to know if they've missed one.

What does it matter? Watch a youtube collectables video if yer that bothered. Or finish the game once and go for a collectables run through, where the ones you've already collected don't reappear

Then let's make every area look so alike that the player has no idea if they've explored it fully.

Well that's the problem when you set your game in a dark forest enviroment, those bloody trees! Besides the 2nd chapter is set in a national park with bloody signs everywhere. Rediculous complaint

Then let's just make it impossible to see much anyway.

Yes, the game teaches you that the dark is bad and head toward the light. Head toward the light and this isn't a problem, Or turn the brightness up on your monitor.

Then let's blur the screen so that it's even harder to see anything.

This doesn't even make sense.

Then let's fill the areas with enemies that respawn so frequently it's literally impossible to explore.

Again, that's your choice. Enemies only respawn well off the beaten path in dark areas, stay in the light, activate generators, run away, dodge. They do stop coming eventually. The whole point of the game is to make you feel unsafe at all times.

Oh, and then let's close off old areas so if the player does miss something, they have to replay the entire fucking chapter.

You can only miss collectables, no non-essential items.

When a player encounters an enemy, let's fuck with the camera so they're completely disoriented.

The camera zooms out to show you where the enemy will attack you. Anticipate attack and dodge, weigh up your options, flight or fight?

Let's have enemies spawn basically right on top of the player, but always behind them.

Load of bollocks. Never happens. Enemies WILL flank you but never just pop up.

Let's have enemies attack them from off-screen in a manner that makes it impossible to react.

THAT'LL BE FUN.

Surely they are only off screen if you aren't looking at them? Don't turn your back on an enemy?

This is what makes Wake exciting. You are vulnerable at all sides from any time. You have the tools to survive. Getting bombarded? Light a flare. Run for a save haven. You can drop the flare at your feet (let go off the button the moment you light) and do a 180 and leg it. Get enemies to follow you. Flash them briefly to stun them. Crowd control them until you've popped the darkess off, and shoot them. Save flare gun (the 'win' gun) for when you feel completely overwhelmed with no escape.

Once the combat is mastered and you master the dodge, and your inventory you can take on waves of enemies without being hit and that is a big buzz.

Or maybe you should play another scripted linear corridor shooter instead? :P

• Upvote 4

Alright i'll bite...

The problem is, then, that most of the advice you offer me in how to enjoy the game is "don't play it the way you want to play it." The manuscript pages feel important to the plot, so I wanted to collect them. The game makes this very difficult to do, but in a way that makes the game not fun, rather than just difficult.

I'm going to give up on them and just run from light place to light place as the game desires, I'll probably get more enjoyment from it that way but I'll be missing the parts that I wanted to enjoy. I wanted to play it for the story (because I've hardly ever liked games with guns in) and that's being kept from me.

That there were signs everywhere doesn't make it a ridiculous complaint, it just shows that you haven't really understood the complaint. I could find the end of the level easily, but once you go in to the trees it's incredibly difficult to keep track of where you've looked and where you haven't when you're looking for pages. Irrelevant now, I'm skipping them. They're just horribly implemented, and I never should have bothered in the first place. Collectibles in games are always shit and I should have remembered this.

And did you really not notice the weird warping effect the game does when you're in dangerous areas?

(By the way, I hate CoD, GoW, etc, so it's not like I'm hating this because it's not like them. I'm hating it for what it is ;))

• Upvote 2

You'll probably find more manuscript pages than you think without realising, most of them are on the main paths and like you say the order of the ?????? on the stats page is deliberate, so you might think you've missed one but haven't.

By the time you get near the endgame you'll be godlike at the combat and want to dive back in on the hardest difficulty ready to find those pages and collectables. That's how I went about it, normal play through, then a nightmare collectable run, have 1500/1500 points on this one and i can safely say it was by far the most enjoyable 1500 points I earned.

Eventually the dodge timing will just 'click' and you'll be fine mate trust me. And turn up your gamma setting :)

I'll second the opinion of 'enjoy your first playthrough and go back for pages later' You really will adapt much quicker to the combat than you think and before you know it in your second playthrough you'll be weaving and dodging and cackling at how crap they are at hitting you whilst you're looking for the manuscript pages.

Update 1.04 out now on steam

As promised the 3rd update (v1.04) is available now and adds support for Nvidia SLI and also some major improvements to Stereoscopic 3D support.

See below for full release notes and as always you can see the full patch roadmap here:

http://forum.alanwak...read.php?t=7978

Update 3 - Alan Wake v1.04 release notes:

• Added support for Nvidia SLI. This requires an updated profile from Nvidia (available March 20-21st).

• Major improvements to Stereoscopic 3D support.

• Added Direct Aiming to control options (previously a command line parameter, that still works and overrides the menu setting).

• Added command line “-freecamera” that allows toggling between normal and a gamepad controlled free camera by pressing right thumb stick (overrides the camera side toggling). This was added as many fans said they want to see the whole world that we have built. Use at your own risk.

• Added Czech text only localization.

• The floating particle words in The Signal and The Writer are now correctly localized for all languages.

Fixed the controller Back button to resume correctly from viewing manuscript pages.

• Added an experimental mouse sensitivity adjustment command line option “-sensscale” for users with very high DPI mice. By adding e.g. “-sensscale=0.2” command line parameter, that number is used to scale the in-game mouse input. You can use still use the slider in the menu, which will get multiplied by the number defined.

• Please see our forum for up to date troubleshooting and update information: http://forum.alanwak...read.php?t=7759

Remedy :wub:

Downloaded this in the steam sale and just completed episode 2. I loved the first episode, but I didn't like 2 much as I never had enough bullets and was getting swarmed by enemies. Also there seems no easy ways of killing them. Sometimes a simple shot to the head would end someone, others you'd have to do about 5 shots. Does it get more story based again?

Downloaded this in the steam sale and just completed episode 2. I loved the first episode, but I didn't like 2 much as I never had enough bullets and was getting swarmed by enemies. Also there seems no easy ways of killing them. Sometimes a simple shot to the head would end someone, others you'd have to do about 5 shots. Does it get more story based again?

You are making sure to remove their 'shield' with the torch before trying to shoot them, right?

Anyway, I only came in after wondering if there was some news on Alan Wake 2. Thanks for getting my hopes up, only to be confronted with details of a PC patch. Thanks a fucking bunch.

Shield? What shield?

Alan Wake 101: the taken are protected by the darkness, you shine your torch on them until the darkness that surrounds them 'pops' and then you shoot them. You know, the core gameplay mechanic and also what the entire story is about - no biggie ;)

• Upvote 2

Shield? What shield?

Aw man, it's a great mechanic and really satisfying when you pop a load and leave them all vulnerable.

I suggest you start again now you know how to play it, it'll make it much more fun for you.

How on earth did you miss that?

I got this in the steam sale also. Not usually my type of game, but am enjoying playing through it. I think I'm on chapter 3 (just been through the mine?) - love the torch mechanic and find the shooting very satisfying. I've only really struggled on one part so far where a big guy and about 4 smaller guys spawn on the way to Lovers Peak. I had the exact number of bullets required to kill them all, had restart about 10 times.

Liking the scares too. Mostly just jumps but I've found one part so far genuinely scary:

The posessed dumper truck! :omg:

How on earth did you miss that?

Because I'm an ignorant idiot who pays no attention when playing games. I completed Dead Space 3 times (including Insane) before I found out you could automatically heal by pressing the square button.

Like I said. Ignorant.

Alan Wake is ace though, just getting to the end of Episode 3.

I fucking love Alan Wake.

EDIT:

I think American Nightmare is a step in the right direction combat wise. I love the way they insert video, radio blur the lines between cinema, games and books. I'm so impressed that they've pulled it off again with an XBLA game.

If Remedy are making Alan Wake for the next Xbox as has been suggested, I'm gonna have to be there day one.

I was thinking about possible scenarios for Alan Wake 2 while watching Twin Peaks again recently. I loved the game but more weather effects would've been highly welcome. Imaging running through a forest in a thunderstorm with scores of taken following, briefly vulnerable during the flash of thunder.The best rain effects yet seen and the wind creating genuine problems, felling trees in your path, making it difficult to see ohmygod where is Alan Wake 2 remedy!

Be nice of they bring in some open world element when the games finished, allowing you to drive round and sightsee free from the narrative. Would've loved to do that in the first one.