Alan Wake: Tramp gamers, take a hike!

:blush: In all seriousness with the assets in place and all the hard work done i reckon they could ship a sequel in the next 18 months. I hope so, Wake is still my breakthrough game of the year and only Mass Effect 2 is up there with it. I love everything about it, the music, the writing, the lengthy DLC, the post chapter music choices, the smooth responsive gameplay. Not to mention the amazing score by Petri Alenko which has been whizzing off the hard drive for months. It has been the most criminally overlooked title of the year in my opinion, i'm seriously hoping the fact the it's in the holiday hardware bundle will give it a major boost both from gamers who have not seen or heard anything about it and those on the fence who are upgrading to a slim 360. I don't know how anyone could not be impressed by the graphics. The lighting is flatout hands down the best i have ever seen in a game. Everything has such a perfect tone, no rubbish post processing bloom or anything like that. Also how Remedy made shining a flashlight at enemies such a visceral and satisfying effect i'll never know. The one two punch of the flashlight pop followed by the boom of the double barrelled shotgun is my favourite gameplay mechanic this year. Ramble ramble ramble! :blah:

Have a +1 good sir :)

Wow so i just finished the Writer, now that's how you do DLC. It was tons better than the Signal, the level design was superb, the balance between combat, story and exploration was just perfect, and the finale was just genius, the

Kill Your Darlings

part had my jaw hanging. And the ending? AW2 simply has to be on the way. I don't think i can deal with it just ending like that.

But still yeah, The Writer, a fiver for nearly 2 hours worth of quality SP content. Highly recommended.

Wow so i just finished the Writer, now that's how you do DLC. It was tons better than the Signal, the level design was superb, the balance between combat, story and exploration was just perfect, and the finale was just genius, the

Kill Your Darlings

part had my jaw hanging. And the ending? AW2 simply has to be on the way. I don't think i can deal with it just ending like that.

But still yeah, The Writer, a fiver for nearly 2 hours worth of quality SP content. Highly recommended.

just finished both the signal and the writer today.

what. a. game.

:wub:

bring on a sequel!!!

:D

superb game, superb writing, style and graphically quite something in places.

• 2 weeks later...

I was about to ask if this is worth picking up as I see it can now be had on Amazon for £15.

I'm guessing from just reading the last page that the answer is: YES

Yup. Its sure is. The gamepaly can get a bit repetitive, which really is aboutt he only complaint i could level at the game. But its designed in an episodic format, each level is a new 'episode' of alan Wake, so if you paly it as 1 episode per day you wont get bored with the combat. Hell, some of the later episodes are a good 3 - 3 hours long so you probably wouldnt even manage them in a sitting. Oh and dont liten to the people wholl try and tell you deadly premonition is better than Alan Wake :lol:

Just picked up a copy of the limited edition for £11.50 on eBay. The DLC has been used, so if I like it i'll need to splash out on that, but given the low price I've paid for the game, I'm happy enough to do that!

Although having just started Mass Effect 2, and still wanting to go back to Red Dead Redemption and Assassin's Creed, I could be glued to my Xbox for some time!

With regards to a sequel, for those who have completed the game and the DLC, and keeping it spoiler free, does the story have a natural ending, or is it set up already for any follow ups?

The story was interesting, but I think its scope exceeded the writers’ ability by quite some margin. The dialogue in particular was absolutely woeful; the characters continually came out with classic bad videogame dialogue, and the characters themselves were pretty much all stereotypes. The performances were pretty bad as well, although the phrase “you can type this shit, but you can’t say it” springs to mind, and the wonky lip-synching doesn’t help.

It’s a bit of a shame, because it’s obviously had a hell of a lot of passion and effort and clever ideas poured into it, and that passion often carried it through the more inept parts. Plus, there are a handful of good jokes.

But yeah, for the most part you watch the cutscenes with the same kind of sinking feeling you get when watching most videogame storylines. They’re just shit, they wouldn’t even pass muster in a straight to DVD sequel.

I thought one of Alan Wake's strongest aspects was the storytelling. I'm not saying it was amazingly written or that the dialogue any of the other individual components were amazing but I do think the sum of parts somehow added up to something really good.

Remedy Entertainment, the creator of Max Payne® and Alan Wake®, and one of the leading independent game studios in the world is now looking for a Programmer for a AAA console project.

We are looking for a skilled programmer with a passion for game programming to join our team. You will be working on the next iteration of Remedy’s unique game engine that was previously used in Alan Wake.

Requirements:

* Passion for games

* Extremely strong C++ skill set (MS Visual Studio)

* Strong teamwork skills and a proactive attitude

* Strong 3D math skills

* Minimum two years of software development work experience

Appreciated additional knowledge and experience:

* Experience on motion-control technology (e.g. Kinect)

* Console game development

* Multithreaded programming

* Optimization experience with console games

* Tools and pipelines programming

* Audio system programming

:sherlock:

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got round to buying this the other week, and it was money well spent!

Really enjoyed the atmosphere (occasionally ruined by Alan throwing in cheesy pop culture references) and the game is stunningly beautiful at points. The wonky lip-synching in cut-scenes was pretty jarring but easy enough to overlook in the end. The story is good IMO but the dialogue wasn't always up to scratch. Will be buying the sequel I think.

Can't see myself playing it again though (already gone through it twice to hoover up all the manuscript pages) so i've stuck it up in the trading folder if anyone fancies it for a tenner.

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got round to buying this (cheers Dunx) - absolutely loving it and the mrs has never insisted I play something so she can watch ever.

I'll be back when I'm done.

I expected mine to be dead keen on it too but she wasn't fussed. She did enjoy watching me play Arkham Asylum, however. Every cloud and all that.

Started a new game on Nightmare difficulty so that I may find the missing manuscript pages that are only available on Nightmare. It annoys me though that all the other manuscript pages I've already found on my first playthrough, that they still show up in the game. Is there a way to avoid that? That the pages show up again makes it a little hard to guess which ones I've already found and which ones I haven't.

I really only just want to find the ones that are only available to find on Nightmare difficulty.