rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Gwynster

Alan Wake: Tramp gamers, take a hike!

I'm saying it's held back nothing.

It's held back control in PC games. Sure some people find it ok but going from something like Halo where you can adjust your speed with pinpoint precision to Half Life 2 where it's run or walk it just seems so backwards. God knows how Splinter Cell works with a keyboard.

Even that ruins FPS games though as they require no skill. Pointing and clicking on enemies gets old fast. It's far more accurate of course but that doesn't mean it's fun. Unless it's a game like Quake 3 which is all about insanely fast reaction times and is just awesome.

Even that ruins FPS games though as they require no skill. Pointing and clicking on enemies gets old fast. It's far more accurate of course but that doesn't mean it's fun. Unless it's a game like Quake 3 which is all about insanely fast reaction times and is just awesome.

The mouse ruins fps games? :wub:

;);):wub:

Technically it's not 'pointing and clicking' as when you move the mouse the whole world moves around you. The Wii's FPS control system is like pointing and clicking, which I think will get old very quickly.

The mouse ruins fps games? :wub:

;);):wub:

Well he's right - and spot on about Quake 3 too. It's better for a few but not for most.

Have you ever played Halo with a mouse? Christ, it's awful.

I prefer dual stick FPS controls to mouse + keyboard myself, but I can see why PC gamers tend to prefer the other way round. Going from mouse + keyboard to sticks feels like you're playing covered in glue I can imagine.

Yeah, it does. But it's less fun with a mouse as everything's so easy.

For example, Counterstrike is great fun with a mouse and everyone's deadly accurate with one - but it'd still be more fun if everyone was using dual-analogues.

Personal opinion, obv.

[i think this old debate always gets stupid and people shouldn't get involved, but -] That's not true at all! Come on man, so much skill is involved in competitive games, as with any control system. Pretty much all shooters are about fast reaction times, everything since Q3. Why the hate?

I wouldn't say keyboards have held back games but I would like one with analogue keys or something, so you can walk at variable speeds. I think not many PC games (apart from Splinter Cell) have required you to walk at anything other than a preset speed up until now, so the problem has just been ignored :wub:

To me, the perfect control would be Mouse for right hand, and like half an analogue controller for the left hand, with a few more buttons. Yes I know such things already exist, but I think they should be made more standard.

Kind of like a PC version of a Wii nunchuck, but without the cables.

Anyway, we're going off topic. That Alan Wake game looks pretty flash eh?

God knows how Splinter Cell works with a keyboard.

I actually tried this a few years back, and the solution was decent, but no replacement for analogue control.

Basically, you use the mouse wheel to change your running speed (a small icon would change accordingly). There was about 5 or 6 differents speeds.

Despite the amount of stuff I've seen on the game I'm yet to actually understand what it is you're supposed to be doing in it.

I'm still rather excited by the game though.

When is the end of Remedy's financial year, or was that quote regarding Microsoft? I assume they're publishing it anyway, their logo is on the official website.

Couldn't find a thread that wasn't ancient, if I'm in the wrong here please scrub this and don't hold it against me...

Videogaming247 has unearthed confirmation that Alan Wake is confirmed to show at TGS. The snippet of news reads:

At long last. A Windows Vista promotional flyer has confirmed Remedy’s excellent looking - but elusive - psychological adventure, Alan Wake, for this year’s Tokyo Game Show.

The flyer includes a competition to get your face in the game. All you have to do is “watch the Vista gaming demo and you could appear in the latest Remedy blockbuster, Alan Wake, a psychological action thriller with an intense cinematic look.

“Let the games begin with a trip to Finland to be digitally mastered into Alan Wake’s world, then jet off to Tokyo to the 2008 Tokyo Games Show to be on the scene and on the screen!”

Some of the best news we’ve had in a while, this. More through the link

Anyone still excited? I loved the Max Payne titles, love spooky survival horror stuff, and love Twin Peaks/Lynch, which is constantly cited as a reference for this. Bring it on!

Finally some more news on this game. Although I'm pretty sure I read some time ago that MS itself did insist the game was released before the end of this year, which is usually not a good sign. Hopefully further info at the TGS will spur a renewed interest is this one.

I remember being wowed by a tech demo a while back, but I know nothing about the game.

Any other solid info? gameplay mechanics etc?

Gameplay

The dark-forces (enemies) coming to 'take care of' Alan Wake are vulnerable to light. So the most useful weapon of all is actually the flashlight. You will be able to place booby traps which will illuminate when executed, etc. Light will weaken or hurt Wake's enemies, and creatively taking advantage of any and all light sources within Alan Wake's grim world ought to be one of the interesting aspects of play.

Like Max Payne before it, the title Alan Wake has a double meaning. Combining the main character's first initial with his last name forms "A.Wake," or "Awake".

Remedy Entertainment also promised a free-roam 3-dimensional city, similar to the Grand Theft Auto series.

"The basic idea with the free-roaming world is that we give the player goals, and then the player can go about achieving those goals in the way he chooses. Alan Wake is more tightly character-driven and story-oriented. Meaning that the player’s goals and missions are closely focused around Alan Wake and his story. Also, the setting, the tone and the game being an action thriller all set it clearly apart from the GTA games." – Sam Lake

"Intense cinematic action is something that we love to do, and Alan Wake features tense combat gameplay as well, but all things considered the game has a lot more emphasis on adventure and exploration than what Max Payne did. Driving is an integral part of the game" - Petri Järvilehto.

There will be no multiplayer in this game. "We'd much rather give the players a great single-player game, than a mediocre single and multiplayer game." -Petri Järvilehto.

(Nicked wholly from wikipedia)

Thanks for stopping by. The Windows Vista “Wow” Prize Draw closed on 30th March 2007. If you entered before this date and are one of our lucky winners we’ll be in touch soon.

Let the games begin with a trip to Finland to be digitally mastered into Alan Wake’s world, then jet off to Tokyo to the 2008Tokyo Games Show to be on the scene and on the screen!