Bad Beats

Poet

thanks bud i was well happy. it had 566 ppl it was on vcpoker, it was a rebuy so i guess loads of ppl rebought lol i said i wouldnt though i just wanted experience.

The good thing is my xbox is broke thats the reason ive been playing hehe it comes back this week, i may not be able to quit poker now ha i stored the 700 away in my bank to pay for xmas and stuff and played with a tenner im on £108 now :) so its not going too bad.

i really wish i had won though, when i got to the top 80 i was really happy saying i made $20 then 10 places later $30 etc... lol and it just kept going up so i cant really argue hehe my mate was watching me aswell he only just started also but he is down a few quid :( i wont go daft

Excellent stuff. It's also good to know that you're keeping your feet on the ground by withdrawing a big chunk of the money and keeping at it with sensible buy-in events. Too many people go crazy when they win a big score and end up losing it all quickly by playing above their level (I'm not suggesting you could play successfully at higher levels, just that it's always a good idea to play a good sample size at your original level and make sure you can make money consistently before moving up). Bankroll management is absolutely key as you move forward. I look forward to reading how you get on!

its nice of you to show interest hehe :) i dont play on big tbles, just 3-5 dollar sit and goes and build form there. i really just enjoy playing. if i was even i would be happy, winning is a class bonus :( ill play more big tournys now tho lol only cheap ones

That's exactly how I started building my online bankroll. I deposited $50 at Ultimate Bet and played $1 SNGs (!), telling myself that I wouldn't move up until I had $100 in my account. It took a long time to get there, but once I made it past $100 and moved up to $5 SNGs I was away. Those games on PokerRoom and Full Tilt were insanely profitable when I was playing them, and by grinding it out there and playing the odd big tournament here and there I was able to build up quite a nice little bankroll. It's all about being disciplined though: definitely move up the levels if you're crushing the opposition consistently, but don't be afraid to step back down temporarily if you have a bad run -- it'll help you restore your confidence as well as your bankroll. I stepped back down to $10 SNGs after a disgusting run when I first tried out the $20 SNGs (I think I cashed three times in about 20-odd games) and it really helped me re-focus.

Nice to see you're doing well Baring - must make a nice change to win something :P

Give me a shout when you've got the 360 back and you can give me some online poker pointers over a couple of games of '09.

i sent u pm bud ill be on later :rolleyes:

Oh man, the play at these low stakes omaha tables is getting funnier and funnier. I managed to get stacks in on the turn with top set, on a fairly nondescript board against some complete idiot, and he turns over a gutshot and a 7-high flush draw (which he had turned). The flush draw hit, of course. I hadn't even slow-played, it was pot bets both times. These guys are insane! My only complaint is that there's hardly any omaha action at bodog above .10/.20, so you can't make big money off the fish.

• 2 weeks later...

Just look at this utterly filthy hand. I only played it so fast because I'd seen how bad the villain was, and had an idea that she was drawing thin by omaha standards. I can sympathise with the turn play, just, but the flop play is disgusting. Other guy had mid pair, gutshot and a k-hi flush draw on the flop.

Dealt to johan glans [Jd As Ts 6s]

maggjack: raises $0.10 to $0.20

FastMachine: folds

toi doi: folds

NORDCORE88: calls $0.10

gellissystem: folds

johan glans: calls $0.20

Mr. Midas: folds

Charleywest: folds

LunaG23: calls $0.10

*** FLOP *** [Ac Tc 9s]

LunaG23: bets $0.30

maggjack: folds

NORDCORE88: calls $0.30

johan glans: raises $1.75 to $2.05

LunaG23: calls $1.75

NORDCORE88: calls $1.75

*** TURN *** [Ac Tc 9s] [2s]

LunaG23: bets $0.40

NORDCORE88: raises $1.35 to $1.75 and is all-in

johan glans: raises $9.60 to $11.35 and is all-in

LunaG23: calls $4.30 and is all-in

Uncalled bet ($6.65) returned to johan glans

*** RIVER *** [Ac Tc 9s 2s] [8d]

*** SHOW DOWN ***

LunaG23: shows [6h Qs Js 3h] (a straight, Eight to Queen)

johan glans: mucks hand

LunaG23 collected $5.60 from side pot

NORDCORE88: mucks hand

LunaG23 collected $11.70 from main pot

I wasn't involved in this hand, but look. It is the most astonishing slowplay in history, I think.

de*joa: posts small blind $0.05

baronaking: posts big blind $0.10

johan glans: sits out

*** HOLE CARDS ***

KRAMPUSZ1: folds

wiggi04: calls $0.10

77Araya77: folds

de*joa: calls $0.05

baronaking: checks

*** FLOP *** [As 6c Kd]

de*joa: checks

wiggi04: checks

*** TURN *** [As 6c Kd] [3d]

*** RIVER *** [As 6c Kd 3d] [7s]

*** SHOW DOWN ***

de*joa: shows [Qc 9h 9c 4c] (a pair of Nines)

baronaking: shows [9s 2s Ks 8c] (a pair of Kings)

wiggi04: shows [Ad 5d Qh Ac] (three of a kind, Aces)

Found a little cash in my Party affiliate account. Sat down at tiddlywink levels at 25NL. Then this happened:

***** Hand History for Game 7527048043 *****

$25 USD NL Texas Hold'em - Monday, November 10, 15:25:47 ET 2008

Table Table 126301 (Real Money)

Seat 2 is the button

Total number of players : 6

Seat 4: Poet ( $47.29 USD )

Seat 3: And09 ( $33.58 USD )

Seat 1: TrainmanDK ( $26.67 USD )

Seat 2: rainbow1958 ( $25.75 USD )

Seat 5: ELANKA ( $25.04 USD )

Seat 6: Ammadoit ( $30.42 USD )

And09 posts small blind [$0.10 USD].

Poet posts big blind [$0.25 USD].

** Dealing down cards **

Dealt to Poet [ 2s 2h ]

ELANKA folds

Ammadoit folds

TrainmanDK folds

rainbow1958 raises [$1 USD]

And09 calls [$0.90 USD]

Poet calls [$0.75 USD]

** Dealing Flop ** [ 2c, Jc, Js ]

And09 bets [$1.42 USD]

Poet calls [$1.42 USD]

rainbow1958 raises [$4.26 USD]

And09 folds

Poet is all-In [$44.87 USD]

rainbow1958 is all-In [$20.49 USD]

** Dealing Turn ** [ 6h ]

** Dealing River ** [ Jd ]

rainbow1958 shows [ Ac, Ah ]a full house, Jacks full of Aces.

Poet shows [ 2s, 2h ]a full house, Jacks full of Twos.

Poet wins $21.54 USD from the side pot 1 with a full house, Jacks full of Twos.

rainbow1958 wins $51.23 USD from the main pot with a full house, Jacks full of Aces.

These retards are hilarious. How anyone can call that bet there with anything less than AJ, I don't know.

that is shit, how can you go all in knowing the if some has a J they have lost big time. thats quite a scarey flop for pockets aces anyways. maybe he didnt care and was determined to go all in from the start, its really bad luck though. i usually hate aces anyways (against more than 1 opp lol), you lose more than win with them.

on your last bit, you done the right thing tho. you got all his chips in, theres on 2 jacks that would beat you.

Wish I'd recorded the hand number to show you guys but I lost a bit during a heads-up, NL cash game at PokerRoom against a LAG a couple of weeks back.

0.15/0.30 Blinds

Cards dealt: KK on SB

I 4x raise and my opponent calls.

Flop:

Rainbow T K A

My opponent bets $1.50 and, figuring him to be something like A-rag (I'm pretty sure he would have re-raised PF with AA) I push (around $25). Opponent calls with A9o.

Here's the killer, he has a 1% chance of winning the hand.

Turn comes in:

A

Giving me the house.

And what's the river?

A f*cking 9.

I'm there jumping around the room, screaming profanities. I was too f*cking mad to bother recording the hand, I just logged straight out and haven't played online since.

Disgusting. Calling a push with A9o on the flop there is nothing to do with being a LAG and all to do with being a terrible player. Which, incidentally, it what LAGs usually are at low levels. I really don't get why you would even want to play poker if you sucked that much at the game. Sure, to have "fun" but it's not fun when you're so bad at a game people take your money most of the time. Is it? I dunno. But let's all be thankful for them or we wouldn't be taking all their money most of the time! Get back in there and punish those fish!

Disgusting. Calling a push with A9o on the flop there is nothing to do with being a LAG and all to do with being a terrible player. Which, incidentally, it what LAGs usually are at low levels. I really don't get why you would even want to play poker if you sucked that much at the game. Sure, to have "fun" but it's not fun when you're so bad at a game people take your money most of the time. Is it? I dunno. But let's all be thankful for them or we wouldn't be taking all their money most of the time! Get back in there and punish those fish!

Yeah, I think it's a problem with with playing heads-up games; I find that many players believe they have the best hand with mediocre hands and want to 'keep you honest' as Sklansky would say. Maybe my push was excessive but I anticipated (and indeed hoped) that my opponent would call. Regardless, he would no doubt have pushed when the ace arrived on the turn even though I would still have had the best hand.

I think it was just one of those hands where no matter what one does, they cannot win it. I will return to the tables soon no doubt but I figured it best to leave them alone for a bit as I'm not very good at taking a beating.

Found a little cash in my Party affiliate account. Sat down at tiddlywink levels at 25NL. Then this happened:

***** Hand History for Game 7527048043 *****

$25 USD NL Texas Hold'em - Monday, November 10, 15:25:47 ET 2008

Table Table 126301 (Real Money)

Seat 2 is the button

Total number of players : 6

Seat 4: Poet ( $47.29 USD )

Seat 3: And09 ( $33.58 USD )

Seat 1: TrainmanDK ( $26.67 USD )

Seat 2: rainbow1958 ( $25.75 USD )

Seat 5: ELANKA ( $25.04 USD )

Seat 6: Ammadoit ( $30.42 USD )

And09 posts small blind [$0.10 USD].

Poet posts big blind [$0.25 USD].

** Dealing down cards **

Dealt to Poet [ 2s 2h ]

ELANKA folds

Ammadoit folds

TrainmanDK folds

rainbow1958 raises [$1 USD]

And09 calls [$0.90 USD]

Poet calls [$0.75 USD]

** Dealing Flop ** [ 2c, Jc, Js ]

And09 bets [$1.42 USD]

Poet calls [$1.42 USD]

rainbow1958 raises [$4.26 USD]

And09 folds

Poet is all-In [$44.87 USD]

rainbow1958 is all-In [$20.49 USD]

** Dealing Turn ** [ 6h ]

** Dealing River ** [ Jd ]

rainbow1958 shows [ Ac, Ah ]a full house, Jacks full of Aces.

Poet shows [ 2s, 2h ]a full house, Jacks full of Twos.

Poet wins $21.54 USD from the side pot 1 with a full house, Jacks full of Twos.

rainbow1958 wins $51.23 USD from the main pot with a full house, Jacks full of Aces.

These retards are hilarious. How anyone can call that bet there with anything less than AJ, I don't know.

The thing with this hand is, the guy on the other end may be a smartish player and has just decided that you are some idiot who's playing KK, QQ, or even TT as if you've flopped trip Jacks. Or that he's an idiot and couldn't get away from Aces if his life depended on it.

The thing with this hand is, the guy on the other end may be a smartish player and has just decided that you are some idiot who's playing KK, QQ, or even TT as if you've flopped trip Jacks. Or that he's an idiot and couldn't get away from Aces if his life depended on it.

Only retards think like that for full stacks given the preflop and flop action. No decent player is pushing there without at least a Jack, and anyone calling off their stack with AA there is a tool. He's an idiot, simple as that. This is a cash game, not a tourney.

I just dropped 5 buyins playing the same dull 25NL, against the same damn idiots. People calling 2/3rds pot on flop and turn in a raised pot to hit a gutshot on the river (no other draw) AND THEN CHECK when he hits, KK vs AA once, 2 sets under set, and various other horrible beats with rivered two pair to my TPTK with all the money in, etc. What a lovely little session. I was only playing because I found some Partypoker money in my account. Should have just bought in properly and moved to 50 or 100NL straight away anyway; 25NL is a waste of time for me one way or the other.

I've forgotten what it's like to run standard, let alone good. I know it's only 5 buyins and I shit that variance in my sleep, but it's so dull hemorrhaging cash like this.

If it's any consolation, you're not alone. I made a return to the cash tables yesterday for the first time in a while only to be rammed hard up the arse by variance. On top of set-under-set for full stacks, I also had the delight of being on the receiving end of the following hands:

Full Tilt Poker Game #9037433610: Table Costa Mesa - $0.25/$0.50 - No Limit Hold'em - 7:15:06 ET - 2008/11/18

Seat 1: DerkaDerka808 ($31.45)

Seat 2: Vins2va ($24.25)

Seat 3: Test81 ($50.95)

Seat 4: Der fette Panda ($19.50)

Seat 5: befuddled32 ($50.85)

Seat 6: trendthrift ($63.10)

Seat 7: MartaZitio ($23.95)

Seat 8: primepride ($56.65)

Seat 9: purebase ($53.45)

MartaZitio posts the small blind of $0.25

primepride posts the big blind of $0.50

The button is in seat #6

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to trendthrift [Ac Ah]

purebase folds

DerkaDerka808 calls $0.50

Vins2va folds

Test81 calls $0.50

Der fette Panda has 15 seconds left to act

Der fette Panda calls $0.50

befuddled32 folds

trendthrift raises to $2.50

MartaZitio folds

primepride has 15 seconds left to act

primepride folds

DerkaDerka808 calls $2

primepride stands up

timtiger stands up

Test81 has 15 seconds left to act

Test81 calls $2

Der fette Panda has 15 seconds left to act

Der fette Panda calls $2

*** FLOP *** [5d 5c 6d]

DerkaDerka808 bets $9.50

Bradcc sits down

Bradcc adds $10

Test81 adds $1.55

Test81 folds

Der fette Panda folds

trendthrift raises to $60.60, and is all in

DerkaDerka808 calls $19.45, and is all in

trendthrift shows [Ac Ah]

DerkaDerka808 shows [Kh Kc]

Uncalled bet of $31.65 returned to trendthrift

*** TURN *** [5d 5c 6d] [Kd]

*** RIVER *** [5d 5c 6d Kd] [2c]

trendthrift shows two pair, Aces and Fives

DerkaDerka808 shows a full house, Kings full of Fives

DerkaDerka808 wins the pot ($65.65) with a full house, Kings full of Fives

Full Tilt Poker Game #9037525160: Table Carter - $0.25/$0.50 - No Limit Hold'em - 7:28:09 ET - 2008/11/18

Seat 1: trendthrift ($67.70)

Seat 2: flounder44 ($68.30)

Seat 3: MartaZitio ($10.40)

Seat 4: Vampyr9 ($10.35)

Seat 5: bwonder1978 ($41)

Seat 6: Dramadame ($17.30)

Seat 7: ewertz ($45.15), is sitting out

Seat 8: edgetrader ($10)

Seat 9: Slevin Kelevra3 ($50.75)

flounder44 posts the small blind of $0.25

MartaZitio posts the big blind of $0.50

The button is in seat #1

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to trendthrift [Qh Qd]

Vampyr9 folds

bwonder1978 folds

Dramadame folds

Slevin Kelevra3 raises to $1.75

trendthrift raises to $6

flounder44 folds

MartaZitio adds $5

MartaZitio folds

Slevin Kelevra3 has 15 seconds left to act

Slevin Kelevra3 calls $4.25

*** FLOP *** [8h 3s 8d]

Slevin Kelevra3 has 15 seconds left to act

Slevin Kelevra3 checks

trendthrift bets $8

Slevin Kelevra3 raises to $44.75, and is all in

trendthrift calls $36.75

Slevin Kelevra3 shows [7s 7c]

trendthrift shows [Qh Qd]

*** TURN *** [8h 3s 8d] [Js]

*** RIVER *** [8h 3s 8d Js] [7h]

Slevin Kelevra3 shows a full house, Sevens full of Eights

trendthrift shows two pair, Queens and Eights

Slevin Kelevra3 wins the pot ($99.25) with a full house, Sevens full of Eights

And my absolute favourite, a hand I'll fondly remember as the 'runner-runner motherfucker':

Full Tilt Poker Game #9039066125: Table Passionate - $0.25/$0.50 - No Limit Hold'em - 10:39:42 ET - 2008/11/18

Seat 1: djoolone ($23.20)

Seat 2: trendthrift ($53.35)

Seat 3: E-Dog 18 ($56.75)

Seat 4: Gangstachic ($45.80)

Seat 5: RJ0912 ($11.50)

Seat 6: primepride ($52.75)

Seat 7: Slava1985 ($38.25)

Seat 8: Terinee ($30.65)

Seat 9: Baggira ($64.80)

Gangstachic posts the small blind of $0.25

RJ0912 posts the big blind of $0.50

The button is in seat #3

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to trendthrift [Ts Th]

primepride folds

Slava1985 raises to $1

Terinee calls $1

Baggira folds

djoolone folds

trendthrift has 15 seconds left to act

trendthrift raises to $5

E-Dog 18 folds

Gangstachic has 15 seconds left to act

Gangstachic folds

RJ0912 folds

Slava1985 calls $4

Terinee folds

*** FLOP *** [8s Td Kd]

Slava1985 bets $11.75

trendthrift has 15 seconds left to act

trendthrift raises to $48.35, and is all in

Slava1985 calls $21.50, and is all in

trendthrift shows [Ts Th]

Slava1985 shows [Kc Qc]

Uncalled bet of $15.10 returned to trendthrift

*** TURN *** [8s Td Kd] [Ks]

*** RIVER *** [8s Td Kd Ks] [Qs]

trendthrift shows a full house, Tens full of Kings

Slava1985 shows a full house, Kings full of Queens

Slava1985 wins the pot ($75.25) with a full house, Kings full of Queens

I never like to see a friend run bad, and those types of hands feel very familiar, but it's also if not nice then at least a little comforting to see that I'm not the only winning poker player out there who's being battered by the variance fairy.

The 77 hand is redonkulous and that last hand is disgusting. Stuff like that just annoys me so much when it happens to me, mainly because when I played full time it very literally meant having to work more. Stupid gambling.

Another classic runner runner beat:

***** Hand 1329121878 *****

0.25/0.50 Texas Hold'em (No Limit ) - 20 November 2008 19:27:36

Table TH 118 (Real /Cash Game )

Seat 1: nils413 (58.45)

Seat 2: Shawy (33.81)

nils413 post SB 0.25

Shawy post BB 0.50

** Deal **

nils413 [N/A, N/A]

Shawy [9d, 8h]

*** Bet Round 1 ***

nils413 Raise to 2.00

Shawy Call 2.00

*** Flop(Board): *** : [Ks, 9c, 8s]

*** Bet Round 2 ***

Shawy Check

nils413 Bet 3.00

Shawy Raise to 7.00

nils413 Call 7.00

*** Turn(Board): *** : [Ks, 9c, 8s, Jh]

*** Bet Round 3 ***

Shawy Check

nils413 Bet 6.00

Shawy All-in 24.81

nils413 Call 24.81

*** River(Board): *** : [Ks, 9c, 8s, Jh, Ac]

*** Showdown *** : Rake: 3.00 Total Pot: 64.62

nils413 [Js, Ah] Two pair aces and jacks Win: 64.62

Shawy [9d, 8h] Two pair nines and eights Win: 0.00

Once ive raised the flop and they have hit nowt, why cant these cretins realise that their AJo is way behind. I cant see the thinking behind the calls at all. For all he knows, I could have hit the king, 2 pair and been miles ahead going in to the turn, equally if ive managed to spike a set, he is well beaten. I know in the long term, these kind of players are where the easy money is at, but I genuinley cannot believe some of the stuff i see at times. Its not as if he's pot commited stack wise either after calling my raise on the fLop with NOTHING but ace high......

Annoyed ! :)

That is ludicrous.

Maybe because you check raised every time he may have thought you were on a bigger bluff than him. It's still fairly inexcusable though, espcially with his call with Ace high, as you say. Maybe he just has loads of money to throw away on stupid calls?

I know this is standard fish chasing flush, but I've been being utterly raped by shit like this recently and it's getting very old.

Dealt to johan glans [Kh Ts Jd Qc]

BigHit12: calls $0.10

brokeass_fin: calls $0.10

TwinCities3L: calls $0.10

holtsboy: folds

johan glans: raises $0.50 to $0.60

VINNY20O4: folds

BigHit12: calls $0.50

brokeass_fin: calls $0.50

TwinCities3L: folds

*** FLOP *** [Kd 2d Th]

johan glans: bets $1.90

BigHit12: calls $1.90

brokeass_fin: folds

*** TURN *** [Kd 2d Th] [9c]

johan glans: bets $5.55

BigHit12: raises $2 to $7.55 and is all-in

johan glans: calls $1.95 and is all-in

Uncalled bet ($0.05) returned to BigHit12

*** RIVER *** [Kd 2d Th 9c] [5d]

*** SHOW DOWN ***

johan glans: shows [Kh Ts Jd Qc] (a straight, Nine to King)

BigHit12: shows [3s 6s Td Qd] (a flush, King high)

BigHit12 collected $19.80 from pot

And it continues. Look at this beauty.

Table 'Diphda' 6-max Seat #2 is the button

Seat 1: LiamJO76 ($54.75 in chips)

Seat 2: Pekjo ($2.75 in chips)

Seat 3: Chooch1010 ($9.90 in chips)

Seat 4: ZachCope ($7.85 in chips)

Seat 5: johan glans ($10.40 in chips)

Seat 6: hedleyuk ($12 in chips)

Chooch1010: posts small blind $0.05

ZachCope: posts big blind $0.10

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to johan glans [8h Kc Kd 8c]

johan glans: raises $0.25 to $0.35

hedleyuk: folds

LiamJO76: raises $0.85 to $1.20

Pekjo: folds

Chooch1010: folds

ZachCope: calls $1.10

johan glans: calls $0.85

*** FLOP *** [2d 3d 8s]

ZachCope: bets $3.50

johan glans: calls $3.50

LiamJO76 said, "10 in a row ends............"

LiamJO76: folds

*** TURN *** [2d 3d 8s] [Ah]

ZachCope: bets $3.15 and is all-in

johan glans: calls $3.15

*** RIVER *** [2d 3d 8s Ah] [Ac]

*** SHOW DOWN ***

ZachCope: shows [9d Jd 3s Ad] (a full house, Aces full of Threes)

johan glans: mucks hand

ZachCope collected $16.15 from pot

the only reason i called as opposed to jamming the pot there was that the guy who acted after me had been raising literally every pot he was in for ages, and i was hoping he'd try and push us both around or something. I realise the diamond draw is out there, but if he hits then we get it in on the turn. runner runner just stings.