PWiiorders

rubberducker

Why are you plumping for a US one?

It'll probably be only a little more expensive when shipping and everything works out, given NOE's rotten pricing. US games are significantly cheaper and available sooner. GC games have never been particularly cheap and easily available second-hand in the UK (unlike PS2 and Xbox). NOE are historically idiots. The US will most likely get all the significant full retail games and online goodies, whereas the UK has to trust to NOE. I already have a collection of US GC games. A US GC was the best choice (IMO) this time around, and I see no compelling reason to switch this time.

Bad things: slightly riskier, SVideo instead of RGB, mild concerns about online.

Poll thread

How many consoles would an average town's game shop get in for launch day? I am number 24 in my local Gamestation, but am worried that I wont get it on launch.

I thought Game had already been doing them for a while but spotted on here earlier that they only started today. Just popped in to the Trafford Centre and I now am pre-order number 3 in one of the 2 Game's there (the upstairs one, fact fans) :D

The chap that served me said they'd more than likely be doing a midnight opening.

Next step, book Dec 8 off work.

I will of course now be cancelling the Gamestation pre-order so that someone else can get it at launch if they do get enough

Edited by spicy.meatball

Just preordered mine at Gamestation, and came away with info that may affect anyone else who ordered there.

Basically, I filled in the form and asked what number in the queue I was, and the chap said that it was going to be first come, (with a preorder slip) first serve.

So basically, on the 8th, get there quick sharp!

Just preordered mine at Gamestation, and came away with info that may affect anyone else who ordered there.

Basically, I filled in the form and asked what number in the queue I was, and the chap said that it was going to be first come, (with a preorder slip) first serve.

So basically, on the 8th, get there quick sharp!

On that form you filled in, there's a line in the T+Cs stating that they'll hold your console for 72 hours before releasing it for anyone to buy. That contradicts what you've just said, surely?

It'll probably be only a little more expensive when shipping and everything works out, given NOE's rotten pricing. US games are significantly cheaper and available sooner. GC games have never been particularly cheap and easily available second-hand in the UK (unlike PS2 and Xbox). NOE are historically idiots. The US will most likely get all the significant full retail games and online goodies, whereas the UK has to trust to NOE. I already have a collection of US GC games. A US GC was the best choice (IMO) this time around, and I see no compelling reason to switch this time.

Bad things: slightly riskier, SVideo instead of RGB, mild concerns about online.

Poll thread

I wish peopole would give NOE a break for once. They've improved a significant amount recently. Has everyone here been asleep since the Lite launched here?

I wish peopole would give NOE a break for once. They've improved a significant amount recently. Has everyone here been asleep since the Lite launched here?

Even the DS Chunky was handled pretty well, with a couple of games being exceptions.

And even the GameCube didn't fare too badly, after they did their shakeup of the translation process.

Well, no. There's already enough doubt about the Wii launch to justify the minor extra hassle involved in getting a US machine instead, no matter how much they've improved. It's like saying a rapist is alright because he's doing fewer rapes these days.

Where's the doubts?

In the industry?

Retailers?

Or just the fanboys online?

I don't get it. Nobody's saying they're perfect, but have some faith.

I don't think I'm being all that unfair. I don't trust 'em, even if they are spending more on marketing these days. DS release dates have been OK, I guess, especially on the very biggest titles, but plenty of the second tier titles have been many months behind and some key GC titles came out very late indeed. Software prices are undeniably higher on both DS and GC (and now on Wii and Virtual console games).

It's always a punt, but I can imagine a relatively healthy installed base in the US and a more marginalised one in the UK (just like the GC), so I trust long-term US support a bit more. You couldn't even find this year's GC releases in the shops.

If they were region-free, even just on first party titles, then I'd be buying from NOE. But as it stands, I'm happier spending my money with NOA and Fedex, who have never let me down. I just don't see enough compelling reasons to make NOE my first choice instead of a last ditch backup option.

Likewise, I just know I'm going to get shafted in some way by buying a PAL machine. So I'll be importing a US one too. Even if it's only on game release dates, that's still reason enough to get a US import for me, and given that the cost will be similar, even with a customs charge, then there's no reason for me to wait.

Plus, I can't stand the thought of my mate having Wii Zelda and gloating at me for three weeks before I get the chance to play it :P

Now, come on VG+, get those preorders open :P

Nobody's saying they're perfect, but have some faith.

Faith that the hardware will be reliable and that I'll probably be able to drop it like an oaf and it'll still work. Yes.

Faith that it'll be host to some great games. Yes.

Faith that NOE won't shaft me on release dates, not release games at all, make me pay the same in Sterling as I would in US$ for games/controllers(with free P&P) etc. etc. No.

None of those are fanboyish or harsh, it's being realistic based on past experience of NOE. Yes, they're better than they used to be, but I'll still be buying an NTSC Wii.