PWiiorders

rubberducker

I was 31 on the list at my Gamestation, but I'm adament that 31 people haven't paid the £20 deposit. They gave precedence to those who "Registered interest" first.

Gahh. Here's hoping.

shit, that gives me the fear, i didnt bother to 'register interest', you lot tend to know more than the people in my local stores.

Mind you, there wasnt day one shortages for the GBA, Cube or DS round these parts so maybe im worrying about nothing; fingers crossed, huh?

Preorder cancelled.

How many preorders did you have? ;)

I rang my local Game last night to ask if I could preorder. They said no. They also didn't know when they'd be taking preorders, and were adamant that no Game in the country were taking preorders yet (even though I know that isn't the case).

I only want to preorder with them as I can't get it delivered (if I get it sent to work, you can guarantee I won't get it until the Monday, and if I get it sent home you can guarantee it will arrive when I'm at work, so I won't get it until the Monday) and Game give points.

Wii pre-orders snapped up on Amazon

Posted Sep 18th 2006 9:01AM by Alisha Karabinus

Filed under: News

On September 15th, Amazon began taking preorders for the Wii ... and on September 15th, Amazon stopped taking preorders for the Wii. No, Nintendo didn't announce manufacturing troubles or delays. They didn't move the release date back. There was no crisis reported.

They simply sold out.

Analysts, both armchair and professional, have been all over the place when it comes to the Wii since the revolutionary new console was first announced. Predictions have ranged to impossibly enthusiastic to cautiously optimistic ... and down to those who swore the concept was too gimmicky and the Wii would fail. Even fans reacted to the recent announcements of price points and world launch dates in a somewhat lukewarm fashion, and even so, people are still rabid to ensure they'll get a copy of the system on launch day.

Wiiii! Here's to the "underdog." Looks like Nintendo is moving up in the world.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...6280567-0472403

Amazon haven't officially started taking pre-orders yet, so I presume there must have been some sort of error.

From Eurogamer:

Yarnton promises 'biggest ever launch for Wii"

Nintendo UK boss David Yarnton has thrown down the gauntlet to his gaming rivals, promising more stock for Wii this Christmas than any previous launch in the company's history - but warned that shortages were inevitable, boasting that "20 million wouldn't be enough" such is demand for the console.

Speaking in an exclusive interview with Eurogamer TV, broadcast today, Nintendo's UK general manager made the bold pledge while stressing the increasingly key role Europe is now playing in realising the Japanese firm's ambitions to expand the reach of gaming.

"We've sold close to six million units of DS hardware since launch and four million Nintendogs, so Europe is a very important market for our company and growing," Yarnton insisted.

Advertisement

"[With Wii] we're looking at about four million units before the end of the year globally and Europe will get a reasonable proportion of that," he added. "The stock that we're looking to get we believe will probably be more than we've ever had for any console launch. But from the feedback we've had from our retailers, whatever we have won't be enough as the demand from people is really heating up for it."

Asked if this meant he expected shortages of Wii hardware this Christmas, Yarnton clarified: "Most definitely. I think if we could produce 20 million it wouldn't be enough on a global basis because it's really something that's going to appeal to people who are not gamers as well. We're expanding the market so there's going to be a lot of demand from people who wouldn't normally be buying videogames."

However, Yarnton was unable to elaborate on the "reasonable proportion" of units he expects for his own territory, stating: "At this stage we haven't broken it down into territories yet because of the timing and also production." Yarnton confirmed that Nintendo UK plans to hold meetings with retailers in "mid-October" by which time it expects to have more concrete territory-specific information.

Meanwhile, Yarnton also defended the UK price tag of Wii - which is set to launch for GBP 179 on December 8th - following cries that the relatively high SRP compared with other territories was another example of 'Rip-Off Britain'.

"GPB 179 is actually really good value because you also get Wii Sports with it as well," he argued. "We don't actually set a price, it's up to retailers what price - it's a recommendation."

Elsewhere in the interview, the ebullient Australian describes how the Wii Points system will work, explains why Nintendo believes people will want to use the console for browsing the Internet rather than a PC and reveals which games the company hopes will achieve its goal of attracting new audiences to gaming.

The full, exclusive video interview is now showing on Eurogamer TV.

Does any of this smell like hyperbole?

ninetndo never sell out at launches, so if they have more stock them ever before - i guess there will be loads.

i don't believe yarnton's guff about demand from non gamers. since when has a non-gamer ever preordered a console for themselves?

EDIT:

Is it just me or does David Yarnton seem like he's winging it. He just sounds like a bad second car sales man or would be better suited to promoting the gizmondo.

Word on Amazon Preorders...

Amazon speaks on quick Wii pre-order "sell out"

Posted Sep 19th 2006 5:25PM by Kyle Orland

Filed under: Nintendo Wii, Business

Certain portions of the Internet were all atwitter last Friday when word broke that Amazon.com was taking pre-orders for the Wii. Then the buzz got even louder when word broke that the offer had been pulled after only a few hours. Had Amazon sold out of their allotment that quickly?

Not quite. According to Amazon Video Game Editor Jon G., the offer was pulled from the site because the rate of pre-orders "dramatically outpaced what we had anticipated." The popular web store doesn't yet know how many systems they'll be getting from Nintendo, so they temporarily stopped pre-orders to avoid over-promising the system.

The company has pledged to honor pre-orders from those that were lucky enough to get them in, and has fixed their e-mail alert system so that those who sign up will be told about further pre-orders beforehand.

Preordered in Gamestation in brum, im number 70ish on the list. Still, they should hopefully get a load in, plus being there for a midnight launch should mean i get one. Besides, Nintendo have never sold out before of a console on launch day because unlike other companies, they make sure stock is around.

Just received a reply from them regarding the shipping prices:

We are currently experiencing some difficulties with calculating the cost for shipping. Not to worry it wont take too long for this to be sorted out. Thanks for your patience.

So hopefully it's a mistake...

Preordered in Gamestation in brum, im number 70ish on the list. Still, they should hopefully get a load in, plus being there for a midnight launch should mean i get one. Besides, Nintendo have never sold out before of a console on launch day because unlike other companies, they make sure stock is around.

Do you not remember the N64 launch? :(