Which region Wii?

Graham S

Wii  

319 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Prices and Dates:

USA on November 19th priced $ 250 (EUR 197 / GBP 133), bundled with Wii Sports.

Japan on December 2nd, priced 25,000 yen (EUR 167 / GBP 113) (Wii Spots is another JPY 4,800 ( EUR 32, GBP 22)

Europe on December 8th 2006 EUR 249 / GBP 179 (bundled with Wii Sports)

Some other things that will influence my decision:

• Many games will be region-free according to Perrin Kaplan (VP of NOA). Possibly not all games from all publishers, though. Is this definitely true for PAL consoles anyway, with the 60Hz / 50 Hz issue, I wonder? Will it be true for that must have game you really, really want: the next Animal Crossing or Resident Evil 4?
  • NOE always, always, always screw us over somehow, on price, release dates, not releasing at all
  • Compatibility with your existing Gamecube games (US in my case)
  • Possible problems with using the online service outside the country of origin
  • Price of console
  • Price of games
  • Additional costs of importing: shipping, possibly customs
  • NTSC consoles might well not include RGB outputs, and my Saurian GC cable presuambly won't work.
  • Being able to return it if it goes wrong

I guess I'm likely to plump for PAL as the easiest option, forget about GC compatibility and hope that the region-free thing works out.

How about you? Anything I've forgotten about?

US for me. Why? Cheaper games, earlier release dates, compatibility to US cube games.

Being able to return it is no issue because Nintendo console don't break (at least mine never did). Region free is nice so it'll be possible to get some PAL bargains later in the console's life.

Tricky one this.

I've never imported a non-handheld before, but having bought cheap import games for my Cube (Freeloader), Xbox (chipped) & DS it's very tempting to go along the US route. The only real decider is whether the US box can play UK GC games, since pretty much all of the ones I've got are UK - since I'll be travelling to the US on 9th Dec anyway, I can pick up one over there (along with games, etc).

Having said that, I reckon I'll get the UK one anyway, just in case it goes wrong!

US Model.

Most of my GC games are US and since I'm living in Korea for a year, hopefully the customs won't be too high. (I should check that!)

I'm pretty sure it'll actually be cheaper to get from the US as well and cheaper US games in future etc.

Until we know more, it seems likely that the format of your Cube collection will be the thing that makes your mind up. I've got a PAL Cube so I don't think I'll bother importing. I'm happy enough that I'll be able to still take advantage of early US releases without importing.

I think I'm changing my vote from PAL to USA. I was really happy with importing from the US last time. I don't trust the region-free comments. US Games are cheaper (£27 instead of £40).

£179 is a lot more than I was expecting, and might mean the console is less popular over here than I hoped. You'll always have plenty of support in the US for a Nintendo console.

RGB and online worries bother me a little.

tbh which ever regions cheapest, apparently the wii is gonna be region free

Wii Region-free says Nintendo VP

First-party games unrestricted says Nintendo, third-party games up to individual publishers.

Posted by Greg Wiggleton on 09-15-06

First-party games for Wii will be region-free, according to NOA's vice president of marketing and corporate affairs, Perrin Kaplan.

Speaking to Wired News' Joel Johnson, Kaplan happen to confirm that, like the DS, Wii gamers will be able to play titles from different territories without restriction. The news is likely to be welcomed by import fans, eager to get their hands on games as close to initial release as possible. Though, Kaplan also suggested that region-locking on third-party games would be left up to individual publishers.

Kaplan also revealed that downloaded Virtual Console games would be tied to an individual user's account. So you will never have to worry about losing a game after buying it with the VC.

Could this mean that imported Gamecube titles might work on any Wii regardless of where it came from? Perhaps.

US version for me. I've been slightly surprised recently by quite how much cheaper (i.e. miles) DS games are from the US from places like movietyme, and how convenient it is, and I can't see that being any different for Wii stuff. There's no way I'm paying £35-40 for UK games when they're the equivalent of £25 in the US and out months earlier. If the region-free thing is true (and I'm still sceptical) and the online stuff turns out to work irrespective of region then there is almost zero reason to get a uk machine (only if you had a stock of PAL cube games would it make any sense).

There's no way shipping will be £40 on a US Wii and probably even being hit by customs wouldn't take it over the £180. Weirdly, at the moment it's cheaper to get a DS sent here from Australia (from dvdcrave) than it is to buy one on the high street, and the signal this price decision sends is Nintendo Europe's not going to improve here any time soon. And I was all ready to get a uk machine.

What about the online stuff, hows that gonna work in Europe on a US machine. Probably best to wait for a EU model but I'll end off caving in and getting a US one no doubt.

I'd imagine it'll be more in line with Xbox than say Dreamcast, that is the same interface wherever you are but different servers, so can't see it being a problem.

PAL

Reasons:

* Have loads of PAL GC games

* Don't want any problems with online stuff and WiiConnect 24

* No hassle replacements should the unit be faulty

* First party games are region free, so I can still import them if need be

But it's going to be agonising when peeps on here get their US models and start hyping up Zelda.

US version here, i think mainly based on my existing GC collection. I do hope its region free so i can pick up a few bargains over here and I'm hoping that with the machine launching in all regions at pretty much the same time that the internals will be the same with regards rgb output on a US machine, however i'll probs be going through component so it shouldnt really be an issue.

The main problem with PAL Nintendo consoles is you are usually stuck with a very irratic release of games (many of which don't even make it here).

NOE have already shown by launching the system at a price which takes it out of the main impulse and 'new gamer' range that they (unfortunately for the product) don't deserve much support and won't give consumers the best option.

Well, I'm not paying £50 extra for a pal machine over a US one, and I'm mighty tempted to go for a japanese one depending on what play asia etc add on for themselves. If yesasia do them for £160 inc shipping and customs, then I might just go for it.

I can wait for one however, as I'm trying to pay off my bills and so games purchases are naturally not a high priority - new machine or not. I'll probably wait and not make a decision until they've physically launched and I've seen the launch games list and people confirm region free etc. I'll survive if GC games aren't backwards compatible, as it's probably not going to be worth selling a pal cube, and I doubt anyone will pay the price I want for my japanese one

NOE can go to hell though for games

UK for me, it's where I live. I have no reason to be confident about the region issue post-360 (I'd want all or nothing to tempt me into that), I have a stack of UK Cube titles and I make a lot of use of trade-ins and preowned. If the region business does work out then I'll be fine for "must have" games that get an earlier US release and that'll be nice, but it's not really any more than a little bonus as far as I'm concerned. And I'll have plenty of time to get feedback from importers about how well the games play.

I wonder how the region-free stuff will work with games that have different publishers in the different regions? The first publisher that releases the game would piss off the other region's publishers if they made theirs region-free, as they'd be taking sales off them.

I wonder how the region-free stuff will work with games that have different publishers in the different regions? The first publisher that releases the game would piss off the other region's publishers if they made theirs region-free, as they'd be taking sales off them.

It would work by them locking the region for that particular game. The console has region locking available, if the publisher chooses to use it.