With my launch Wii

I'm thinking of putting Zelda off until after Christmas. I want the Wii to be inclusive this year, rather than me disappearing to play Zelda on my own for hours on end. Zelda can wait 'til the new year, I think.

With that in mind, I'll probably get another couple of remotes, and maybe Monkey Ball. I want WarioWare but it's not out for launch. I could wait until it's out, I guess. Excite Truck is a definite purchase.

Its a funny one launching with a Zelda game, as once a new Zelda game goes in one of my consoles, it usually doesn't come out again until its finished several weeks later.

If the machine comes with the sports compilation as part of the package I could see myself getting one with just Zelda - maybe an extra controller - and nothing else

Otherwise I imagine there'll be enough mess about stuff with the avatar editor and weather stuff and internet-in-the-living room fun to keep me entertained inbetween playing Zelda and the sports games

Got to say I agree with this. On the very rare occasion when there's a release heavy week and a few titles I've been looking forward to all come out together, I usually end up buying just the one and devoting my time to that.

Buying more than one quality title at a time doesn't work for me - i end up feeling guilty that I'm preferring one over the other, and can't enjoy that title as I wish - then when I play the other game, it's more because I feel i should be than because i want to, and I can't enjoy that because I'm really wanting to play the better of the two. Err, if that makes sense :)

However...

I must say that Red Steel game holds no interest for me whatsover. It looks like a dull, ugly, bog-standard Xbox game - the exact opposite of the sort of game I buy Nintendo consoles to play.

This I'm inclined to disagree with. Red Steel looks ace imo, and I'd happily get it on launch - except i don't see the point when it will just end up ignored for a fortnight while I plough through Twilight Princess.

Having more than one singleplayer game to play at a time just distracts me and i can't enjoy either properly. This is only exacerbated when it's launch software for new hardware, so I'll stick with just Zelda initially.

So then, me (or Mii?) with a Wii on day one:

*Wii (with obvious bundle: WiiSports/ Remote / Nunchuk) - £180

*Zelda: Twilight Princess - £40

*If I've moved house and am living with my mate as planned, then I'll also get an extra remote for Wii Sports multiplayer. If I'm still renting a room and gaming on my tod, then I won't bother.

£220, plus a possible £25 on top of that. Still under £250 for a machine with a true triple-A classic that won't be available anywhere else on day one. I haven't been this excited about a hardware launch since getting my Dreamcast with Sonic Adventure back in 99 :)

I'll not be pre-ordering my Wii online as I'd like to pick it up in person (midnight opening please). I'll probably limit my purchase to a Wii and Zelda.

I'll order other launch titles (max two) and accessories online (remote control and USB-Ethernet adaptor). The games I get will depend on reviews after the US launch. But candidates at the moment are Elebits, Red Steel, Rayman, and Monkey Ball. I'm hoping that if I order online they'll arrive on launch day. What has the experience been like with this in the past? Did anyone get 360 launch titles from online retailers on or before the console launch day?

Also, did you save any money on launch titles? I've noticed Play are selling Wii games at RRP. (at least the controller is a bit cheaper).

What a weekend to be away from a comp. Ive spent the morning looking over all the Wii reports and am pretty excited about whats coming up.

Think i will be picking up..

Wii

Extra controller and nunchuck (Dont think its worth having one with out the other)

Zelda

Excite Truck.

Im reading that the games are region locked though, bit of a bugger as im going to be in the states when the US launch happens and i was thinking of taking some back.

I take it peripherals will be ok though ?

Anything else i should look out for that might be worth taking back ? Im still playing catch up here.

Thought I'd revive this now everybody has calmed down a bit about the price and more importantly, now that I'm guaranteed one for launch.

I'll be picking up a PAL Wii + Zelda, possibly some VC points, a classic controller, Component/RGB cable, Wii play ( mainly for the extra remote) and dependant on reviews I'll grab one of these too:

Super Monkey Ball

Excite Truck

Red Steel

Well excited now, 8th december seems miles off all of a sudden.

The wii is going to make me back to read Edge and GamesTM. I need to read reviews about those games. I don't feel like i know what i am getting.

I just know that Wii Sport will be great (even single player/training).

I am getting an extra controller and a classic controller.

The wii is going to make me back to read Edge and GamesTM. I need to read reviews about those games. I don't feel like i know what i am getting.

I just know that Wii Sport will be great (even single player/training).

I am getting an extra controller and a classic controller.

Zelda's pretty much a stonewall guarantee of absorbing aesthetic, ingenious game design and peerless playability (providing the Remote control scheme holds up that is).

Wii sports is fun if shallow, but can't complain for getting five instantly playable multiplayer games to show off the motion sensitive controller to your mates with your extra remote.

The rest is all a much of muchness, to be honest - it's a Nintendo machine, so it's a safe bet that the typical Nintendo franchises are all going to do the business over the next few years - Mario, Metroid et al will all retain their typically high quality - while third party games like Red Steel could range from inventive novelties to ouright innovative must-plays.

Either way, at under £200, the machine's not much of a gamble as far as I'm concerned. The fact that Zelda looks set to be (for however short a time) a Wii exclusive, only makes it all the more appealing.

Wii

Wiimote + Nunchuck

Classic Controller

Zelda Twilight Princess

Rayman 4

That will be all unless Monkey Ball gives favorable reviews. Wario Ware just before christmas would be a damn great thing as well.

Are there any Zoo Keeper-like games on the way?