IGNORED

Destiny: FIN

Gorf King

Loadouts app?!?!

In case you're being serious it's an iOS app when you can define and save exactly what you want on your character (weapons/armours etc) and save configurations such as "Fuck up everything with void".

Then you can just load the app and one touch "load" that setup. The app handles figuring out removing it from your other characters and passing it through the vault.

It is glorious.

In case you're being serious it's an iOS app when you can define and save exactly what you want on your character (weapons/armours etc) and save configurations such as "Fuck up everything with void".

Then you can just load the app and one touch "load" that setup. The app handles figuring out removing it from your other characters and passing it through the vault.

It is glorious.

I have downloaded both of them now.

I'll give them a try. Cheers.

You are xurn legend!

Atheon's my bitch now.

(Although word has it better not to use launchers)

I've just popped on for the first time this week, just to do the Weekly Heroic, Queen's bounties, etc, and have ended up taking my semi-levelled Suros Regime for a spin in Crucible for the first time.

I am now insanely jealous of all of you that had one before the nerf. I mean, damn. It's actually still decent now, even with the general state of ARs, so what it must've been like back the day...

For Oracles, Corrective Measure's the best, and Atheon's Epilogue the second best, if you have them. Super Good Advice isn't a bad shout if you have neither, as it saves reloading, but both those Vault weapons have more than enough ammo to see you through - Corrective Measure especially.

I've never really used Gjallarhorn in either raid, to be honest: rockets just aren't needed in VoG and can sometimes be positively dangerous (though if you don't use the relic shield thing on Atheon, and all run around spamming rockets at him instead, that's a viable strategy. It's obviously not what 'the devs intended' though, and in any case is a bit inelegant). For Crota, I always use a different launcher - in a full fireteam you should have no need for the extra damage that Gjallarhorn brings, and something like Hunger of Crota (or almost any one of the many tracking launchers these days) is perfectly serviceable. These also have the benefit on Hard of freeing up an exotic slot for something like Red Death, which used to be far more useful in enabling health regeneration - although admittedly that's not such an issue now everyone's over levelled. At the same time, though, needing the extra shield damage Gjallarhorn gives is even less necessary than it was.

I always thought people who 'required' someone to have Gjallarhorn to take part in a raid seemed not to really understand how the raids work. Or should work. Which makes Bungie's LFG-derived reasoning for nerfing it seem a bit odd. (I think the real trigger for the nerf wasn't either of those things - it was The Skolas Experience, Burn Version. But Bungie put that 'right' anyway without resorting to shafting Wolf Pack rounds.) Gjallarhorn's an absolutely fantastic weapon in its current incarnation - by far the best launcher out there for most PvE encounters - but it's not the raid killer essential kit that it's sometimes made out to be.

That would be Fatebringer.

If I was to try and get into Crucible what'd be the best weapon setup to use?

I had a game earlier and was using a scout rifle as my primary (one/one synesthete), with this I just didn't seem to be able to kill anyone even if I started firing first.

I had some crappy sniper as my secondary, and again this was useless, mainly because of the level design being massively enclosed without any open areas. Plus, everyone was moving around too fast to get any time to line up a shot.

I didn't even get chance to use my heavy, as the drops were taken before I had chance to get to them!

What kind of setup should I be looking at the ? I like to play a more attacking game and take the fight to the enemy really, so I'm thinking a pulse rifle for primary and a shotgun for secondary, with rockets for heavy.

It all seems so fast compared to Halo though, so I'm probably approaching it all wrong anyway. Any advice would be really helpful.

Thorn/Shotgun/Launcher. Or Hopscotch Pilgrim, apparently, if you have one of those.

Perhaps surprisingly, I rarely use that combo myself these days. On the rare occasions I venture into the Crucible I've been using my Hunter's speed build, and a MIDA, and that glorious BTRD machine gun. It feels nice and clean - gone are my dirty scrub ways of old - and is sometimes very effective. Although I must admit I still cling tightly to my Matador and refuse to let go, only rarely substituting a sniper for it on one or maybe two of the maps.

If I was to try and get into Crucible what'd be the best weapon setup to use?

I had a game earlier and was using a scout rifle as my primary (one/one synesthete), with this I just didn't seem to be able to kill anyone even if I started firing first.

I had some crappy sniper as my secondary, and again this was useless, mainly because of the level design being massively enclosed without any open areas. Plus, everyone was moving around too fast to get any time to line up a shot.

I didn't even get chance to use my heavy, as the drops were taken before I had chance to get to them!

What kind of setup should I be looking at the ? I like to play a more attacking game and take the fight to the enemy really, so I'm thinking a pulse rifle for primary and a shotgun for secondary, with rockets for heavy.

It all seems so fast compared to Halo though, so I'm probably approaching it all wrong anyway. Any advice would be really helpful.

At the moment and until the Taken King launches use an exotic hand cannon if you've got one, either Thorn, Last Word or Hawkmoon. They're all pretty beastly at any range and have high impact.

Scout rifles can be OK as a primary, but if you've got Mida Multi-tool that's the best of them. The exotic pulses are decent too once you unlock some of the later health/ammo regeneration perks.

For secondary I'd use a shotgun, but here Legendaries such as Party Crasher or Matador 64 (both of which can drop post-match) tend to be better than some of the exotics, especially if you re-roll them at the gunsmith for some of the better perks.

I like a Heavy Machine Gun for Crucible. I nice low rate of fire/high stability/high impact one. You've basically got a crazily high impact auto rifle then.

By the way, if the Heavy Ammo is gone when you get there, that's on you. You need to be there waiting for it, at whichever one your team went to.

Speaking of Thorn...

Having only recently got back into Destiny, I wasn't aware of its importance, so when the exotic bounties came up I chose the one for Bad Juju. I do like my pulse rifles, so I hope it's a good one, but I guess that means no Thorn for me. I don't know how it compares with Hopscotch Pilgrim though. Or where I'd even get one of those from.

Which shotguns are considered the best for Crucible then?

Oh, and I do have a Thunderlord heavy, which is pretty sweet. I'll give that a bit of a rotation with my Gjallahorn (Xurned not earned), to see which I'm feeling.

As for the Crucible itself, in Halo objective games were always my favourite. I'd much rather be trying to complete some task as team, rather than just running around shooting the shit out of everything, but there only seems to be Control here from what I can see. Is that it, or should I really be looking at different game types with it playing so differently than Halo?

Bad Juju is great if you use a Void Warlock with Obsidian Mind and want to keep pumping out those space magic supers. Otherwise, Red Death may be a better exotic choice for the pulse rifle connoisseur.

You'll most likely get Pilgrim as a Dragon strike playlist drop. But apparently it is a rare one - I expect it'd take longer to play for than it would to do lots of bounties and wait to be offered the Thorn one (and complete it).

Matador 64, Party Crasher +1 and Fellwinter's Lie are generally considered the best shotguns. The first two drop regularly from Crucible games. You need to reroll for Shot Package/Rangefinder, and (I'd say) Aggressive Ballistics, for the optimal impact/range ratio. Third perk's up to you. Failing any of those, the VoG shotgun's a good un.

I think a legendary launcher is better for Crucible to free up the primary slot for the exotic. Unless you have Pilgrim, I guess. If you do put an exotic launcher in there, consider Truth instead of Gjallarhorn. Personally, most of the time, I don't think you need tracking on a Crucible launcher anyway. Velocity and blast radius (and Grenades and Horseshoes) are probably more important. I dunno, I prefer machine guns anyway, and there are some exceptional legendary ones (BTRD, the one I like best, is another common Crucible drop - in fact, Crucible rains legendaries like confetti since HoW).

I'm not much of a PvP player, but I only really enjoy Control - I, too, much prefer the bigger team, objective-based stuff. TTK will bring in a variant of Control (points for zones only, not kills), and another game type that's a little bit like mobile Capture the Flag, sort of, kinda.

EDIT: But from what little I've played, there is Salvage as well - that's at least nominally objective-based. But I didn't care for it as much as Control, and it's not always on the playlist anyway.

Thanks for all that. Looks like I need to play a few more Raids/PoE to see if I can get any of those to drop, as I'm just not tooled up enough yet.

Back to the grind!

Which shotguns are considered the best for Crucible then?

Matador 64 or Party Crasher +1, they're both pretty common drops in crucible too.

Re-roll at the gunsmith to get the Shot package perk (which will reduce bullet spread when using ADS) and something to boost range (hopefully)

Corrective Measure for Oracles surely?

The thing about SGA is that any shot missed comes back to the ammo so you can just keep on shootin'

Try it honestly it's ace, also ace for shooting off Containment bubbles (Templar, Atheon and Quoron in trials) shooting shields takes 0 ammo :)

True, but Corrective Measure kills Oracles far more quickly, and with 300 rounds (and 100 in the chamber) you shouldn't have to reload anyway if you hit them quick enough.

Thanks for all that. Looks like I need to play a few more Raids/PoE to see if I can get any of those to drop, as I'm just not tooled up enough yet.

Back to the grind!

You don't need PoE for the weapons - the best shotguns don't drop there, they drop in Crucible itself (and quite frequently). The best primary exotic - Thorn - is a bounty reward, so if you're going to grind anything, grind Vanguard bounties to get another shot at that. You're better off doing almost anything else than PoE for exotics, and I don't think the PoE weapons themselves are any good - apart from Shadow of Veils, which Variks sometimes sells and is a good high-impact sniper with lots of aim assist (though crappy perks). So just play some Crucible for the shotguns, and almost anything other than PoE for the others.

Ok, cool. So, it just means I'm at a double disadvantage from lack of skill and lack of weapons. They don't make it a very enticing prospect, do that?

Basically any weapon is viable in the regular Crucible. Just pick something you like the feel of and match your approach to its strengths.

If you can learn to break line of sight when someone gets the jump on you, rather than sticking around for a straight shoot out, and can get a feel for where enemies might be coming from based on the radar and where your team's markers are, you're already better off than 50% of the people playing.

Some guns are better than others, I'm not disputing that. The differences are fairly negligible given the scope for improvement in most people's game, though; that goes for me too if you think I'm being condescending.

Ok, cool. So, it just means I'm at a double disadvantage from lack of skill and lack of weapons. They don't make it a very enticing prospect, do that?

Weapon levels are balanced so its only perks that are better on better guns - they do the same damage.

As a FPS goes 10 months down the line its pretty good for n00bs as it matchmakes you with lower skill players and there is no real weapons advantage - try playing COD after 11 months....

Weapon levels are balanced so its only perks that are better on better guns - they do the same damage.

As a FPS goes 10 months down the line its pretty good for n00bs as it matchmakes you with lower skill players and there is no real weapons advantage - try playing COD after 11 months....

Ah yeah, it's only Iron Banner where your levelled guns matter, isn't it?

I just basically need to get some decent weapons that have a good starting level for regular Crucible, which I can then level for Iron Banner, right?

It just all seems so fast and immediate after playing Halo for all those years. I'm sure I'll settle into it if I give it a good crack.