Destiny: FIN

Gorf King

I use to play Phantasy Star Universe. For hours. Hours and hours and hours.

Base Game: £40

Subscription: £15 a month for at least two years = £360

Eventual expansion pack: £20-40

Is Destiny cheaper than that? Oh god yes.

Does Destiny offer anywhere near the amount of content in that game? Nope - and PSU still ended up constantly grinding the one mission for xp, spells for xp etc.

Is Destiny as much fun to play as PSU - Oh god it is miles better

Based on all that, you might say Destiny is a good deal. Different kind of game of course. Better off comparing it to something like maybe Path of Exile or Diablo 3. Path of Exile is free to play and beats pretty much anything you could every think of content wise. Pay nothing, get a full game. Want cosmetics, pay for stuff. Diablo 3 is probably closest thing. I had D3 on launch. It was fucking terrible, couldn't get onto the servers at all. Good loot super rare in a game all about getting good loot. Constantly got a barbarian sword with something daft like +256 magic. Not magic damage, just a boost to magic. Best way of getting stuff was auction house. Then the expansion came out. Maybe a little cheaper than a full game, but pretty close in price. Apparently the expansion makes everything excellent along with a few other changes. Everyone I have spoken to since I dropped D3 like it was hot have said how good it is now, completely different game.

So here is the question. Is Taken King going to do as much for the game as the D3 expansion? As the PSU expansion? Hell, does it even have as much content as those old expansion packs for stuff like Red Alert? No, it is going to have maybe a planets worth of missions and will fill in empty sub class box that has been there from day one.

Personally with the amount of time I have spent, I am happy with my Destiny outlay. The type of game it is suits my gaming hours now, I can play for a few hours, normally accomplish not getting a Word of Crota, then bed. Being happy with my outlay does not excuse the lack of content in the base game, let alone something charging the same price for what will at best be 1/3 of what is in original game.

PSU was generally (and specifically by me) regarded as rubbish though; it just traded on the PSO name and fucked it up with a lot of unnecessary and ill-thought-out extras and complications. PSO was godlike, and PSO Ep 1 was, and remained, by far the best part of that game, eclipsing its successors easily - and (in the UK) there was no sub for it at all. So it was the cheapest of the lot, and in its Challenge Mode (which was added, for free, during the course of the game, as were many extra missions and modifiers and remixes) had the best end-game content, later copied but never equalled. And it had the best weapons.

Make of that what you will.

The XP stuff doesn't bother me as it will only level people up faster however offering special exotics to people who fork out the extra cash is very dangerous territory and a big fuck you to all the players who work their ass off and play week in and week out.

Throwing in exclusive emotes is kinda meh and I'm sure people will get excited but to be honest if you are on comms then it shouldn't matter - however creating emotes only for a specific group of new users (or forcing loyal players to rebuy the game and DLC) is a wank move by Bungie/Activision and has given me second thoughts about investing anymore time in this game.

The emotes in the game were a joke from day one, how many does Bloodborne have or loads of other games? Apparently a 500 person dev team and a ludicrous budget gets you 4. Worse still they're not particularly useful, remember it launched without voice chat so having meaningful emotes to interact with other players could have been useful, not hahaha look at me do the same canned dance animation on a loop, which is funny for about 10 second. So Bungie/Activision paywalling more of them behind an expensive special edition (which would involve re-buying content for the existing playerbase) seems to add insult to injury.

Sadly not surprised by that interview, everything I've read involving Luke Smith makes him sound like a raging bellend.

PSU was generally (and specifically by me) regarded as rubbish though; it just traded on the PSO name and fucked it up with a lot of unnecessary and ill-thought-out extras and complications. PSO was godlike, and PSO Ep 1 was, and remained, by far the best part of that game, eclipsing its successors easily - and (in the UK) there was no sub for it at all. So it was the cheapest of the lot, and in its Challenge Mode (which was added, for free, during the course of the game, as were many extra missions and modifiers and remixes) had the best end-game content, later copied but never equalled. And it had the best weapons.

Make of that what you will.

I didn't know any better. All the guys I ran with told me as much. We all played it anyway. I even spent time levelling crossbow bullets as my main was human, I didn't get a fancy beast mode or a cannon strike or whatever so I may as well go full ham and be most useless class as well (guntecher).

Ah, memories. Including having to phone up live to cancel the sub, and half the time they thought I meant cancel the entire xbox live sub. As there was no option to unsub via the 360 dash - despite being an option to sub on there. Yeah, and you people think Destiny has it bad.

I loved PSO but times have changed as has our gaming habits. Yes it's not as bad as PSO but it's still bad.

I bought the Ghost edition for $200 and they expect me to fork out another $70 to get the content I already have plus some emotes and faster XP cloaks etc. That's really quite fucked in more ways that I can begin to imagine. It's daylight robbery and a very quick way to alienate the people who have helped grow your game and who are the community around your game.

I have the $70 but I really don't want to give them the money for something I already paid for.

I loved PSO but times have changed as has our gaming habits. Yes it's not as bad as PSO but it's still bad.

I bought the Ghost edition for $200 and they expect me to fork out another $70 to get the content I already have plus some emotes and faster XP cloaks etc. That's really quite fucked in more ways that I can begin to imagine. It's daylight robbery and a very quick way to alienate the people who have helped grow your game and who are the community around your game.

I have the $70 but I really don't want to give them the money for something I already paid for.

I don't think they expect you to and you certainly don't need to - my take was that he was taking the piss out of the interviewer for 'needing' to buy the collectors edition for emotes!?!?!

Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick...

People keep using the word 'force', as in "forcing me to pay $70". Who exactly is forcing you to do anything? If you're pent up about brand new players getting a couple of (fairly redundant) exclusive items/emotes/whatever as thanks for buying the game, then you really need to take a minute and do a reality check. lol! I know the game is addictive and whatnot, but throwing your arms up in the air because you think you're missing out is rather childish, wouldn't you say?

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, just the general backlash to that rather messy interview.

Look at it from the perspective of a new player and it looks a lot different.

You can buy the game for £15 now, in a few months the dlc we have been playing will largely be an irrelevance, just a few extra stories and modes, certainly not the same experience, and everyone will be onto the new shit. Who would you pay more than £15 for that? It's not like you have a choice, you would be forced into buying the game and dlc to get involved.

The tk could be cheaper, but again that damages the value proposition of the full title.

I'm not defending that guy, the interview is awful and he's coming across as a dick, but the person asking the questions is doing no service to his readers by pushing that one point like an entitled child instead of talking about the game.

I won't buy a collectors edition, because they are a waste of money, and I do think the add on should be cheaper but a misstep that pisses off the existing user base might be less costly than alienating new users by making the game difficult to get into, complicated to buy or perceived as overpriced.

Reset time

Nightfall is Valus Ta’aurc with Brawler and arc/solar burn

Weekly is Shadow Thief

PoE 32 – Valus Trau’ug as per last weeks 34

PoE 34 – Urrox with Solar and the jump up and down floor fire nonsense.

PoE 35 – Skolas

Variks is selling Wolfborne Oath (solar shotgun) and chest piece with Intellect

....and yet still all I really want is Vision of Confluence :(

I use to play Phantasy Star Universe. For hours. Hours and hours and hours.

Base Game: £40

Subscription: £15 a month for at least two years = £360

Eventual expansion pack: £20-40

PSO didn't have a subscription price in the UK; it was eventually introduced for the free-to-download PC version at £7.50/month, which also featured Ep4. Ep1 and Ep2 were £30 each, but that's about as far as it went.

On-topic, £40 for The Taken King is fucking shocking, and I genuinely wonder what the split is for would-be players as to whether they've got the much cheaper US version, or did stupid like me and ponied up for the UK edition.

I've voted with my wallet and deleted Destiny from my hard drive. It feels good.

The Eurogamer interview was the straw that broke the camel's back. But...what made me want to quit was the E3 Giant Bomb interview with Luke Smith. In that interview he jokingly mentions scientific terms for dopeamine rewards and stuff. It was then I realised that's all that Destiny is...a fucked up psychological experiment in getting players addicted, giving them just enough to get them hooked whils screwing them out of as much money as possible. The time when it was about gaming is long gone. Anyway, that's what I think...and I'm glad that I'm out.

PSO didn't have a subscription price in the UK; it was eventually introduced for the free-to-download PC version at £7.50/month, which also featured Ep4. Ep1 and Ep2 were £30 each, but that's about as far as it went.

On-topic, £40 for The Taken King is fucking shocking, and I genuinely wonder what the split is for would-be players as to whether they've got the much cheaper US version, or did stupid like me and ponied up for the UK edition.

As people keep doing this, I shall make it clear. Phantasy Star UNIVERSE.

I don't yet have a next gen console but will be getting a bone for my birthday - so the super bundle DLC pack works well for me.

I read the Eurogamer piece on it earlier, the Bungie guy seems a complete tool - very tone deaf.

For what it's worth, I'm enjoying having just started this and will almost certainly get 40 quids worth out of the game and the two expansions. It was probably worth it just for the hoverbike thingies, which just have the most remarkable feel to how they handle. So satisfying.

That interview does make me glad I'm not the sort to get seriously addicted to games and start fiending after loot too much, though. Can't imagine I'll still be that bothered by the time TTK comes out.

As for loot, I have a question about Engrams. Should I just be decrypting these when I get 'em or saving them up? This game basically explains nothing, really. It's weird.

Sorry, how does this work?

join me and you should load up at the templar...then you can leave and you have the checkpoint so you can run it from there without the hassle of doing the spire and defending confluxes...instant fatebringer runs

once someone has it i'll need to log out and take it also at some point :)

I'll leave it on for a few hours

That interview is an amazing car crash, I can't think of any other developer looking quite as money hungry and delighted to the degree with which they can exploit their hooked players as Bungie.

Like I'm sure a bunch of F2P games are similarly motivated and cynical, but they sure as shit don't let the ARPU crunchers do PR!

I don't yet have a next gen console but will be getting a bone for my birthday - so the super bundle DLC pack works well for me. I read the Eurogamer piece on it earlier, the Bungie guy seems a complete tool - very tone deaf.

This is the thing, new players are getting an amazing deal off the bat. I think that's great. I paid more but I got the chance to play it for a year, that's fine. What I don’t get is why Bungie think that new players would be in the slightest bit interested in emotes and shaders before they even know what they fuck they are. You might even say that its existing players that would be more inclined to purchase the content again just to get this extra stuff and that the collectors set is for them and NOT new players.

1293657_o.gif

join me and you should load up at the templar...then you can leave and you have the checkpoint so you can run it from there without the hassle of doing the spire and defending confluxes...instant fatebringer runs

once someone has it i'll need to log out and take it also at some point :)

I'll leave it on for a few hours

Cool thanks for the answer

Deej chipped in.

Bungie community manager David "Deej" Dague has said that fans should expect details this Thursday in the developer's weekly Destiny blog update.
"Year One players won't get the same perks as people who buy a collector's edition," he told Forbes. "They'll get something better. Tune into the Weekly Update for more."