IGNORED

Destiny: FIN

Gorf King

I was only joking with the Mike thing - we do (did do) other things as well. And yeah, wiping the strikes out - esp the Nightfalls - in super-quick time is great fun. The removal of arc burn from the Sepiks Nightfall this week caused me to weep many a tear. Used to be such a good laugh, did that.

On the Exotic upgrade piece - I'd not been putting the last shard into stuff. Turns out this was a great move - putting it in now moves the item straight to 365.

Really I thought you needed two for old exotics. One for the finally upgrade and then one to ascend it? If not that's great as my Mida-Multi Tool and my red death are both on the final upgrade which required the shard.

Bearing in mind I no longer have any (old) weapons/armour that need upgrading, is it worth just going to the Speaker and getting rid of all my Shards/Energy for Motes? At least then I can get the Exotic Shards and/or any fun new stuff from Xur..

Yep, motes have a legitimate use now. You can also trade for glimmer if you're skint.

Played this again for the first time in six months. The new story missions are pretty meh but the PoE seems more fun than Crotas raid was at first glance.

I like the fact they finally have a way to save progress on exotic and legendary items when upgrading them with the use of shards and energy but I'm still fucked off that some of my exotic weapons I 'upgraded' after the first level increase have wasted an exotic shard and I still need to grind the XP and materials again to get them to 365. I should have simply not bothered to login for 7 months and I could have upgraded them to 365 damage instantly for the same exotic shard without the grind.

Might play now and again as the combat is still aces but even with two expansions the game still feels pretty light on content. Do people still run VoG or Crota anymore?

Don't forget that the Gunsmith in the tower always sells telemetries which will help ease the pain a bit, just make sure you've got a load of bounties to hand in (and the right weapon equipped!).

I was only joking with the Mike thing - we do (did do) other things as well. And yeah, wiping the strikes out - esp the Nightfalls - in super-quick time is great fun. The removal of arc burn from the Sepiks Nightfall this week caused me to weep many a tear. Used to be such a good laugh, did that.

:facepalm: I thought you were serious ha, serves me right for skim reading. It just surprises me just how much difference a few perk changes can make to how a character can be used, its a deceptively deep system that looks quite limited on the surface, clearly a lot of thought went in to the design process of the subclass perks and exotics that complement them. Its interesting how exotic armour perks have been toned down quite a bit from vanilla too, see Helm of IL vs Eternal Warrior for example.

:

I mean, that's it, isn't it? Bubble up straight off the bat and fire as many rockets as possible to kill the bosses before the adds or mines or whatever even spawn, because no-one wants to go through the actual mechanics of the boss fights. I just think - know - there's a lot more to it than that in VoG (or even Crota), which is what the earlier poster was asking about. But anyway, whatever floats your boat.

I've done VoG without any cheese, I've done Crota without any cheese (even doing the bridge as intended) so I'm not adverse to following the flow of the fight as intended, but Bungie have been getting less imaginative (ooh, lets add a few Wizards or Ogres in!) and the mechanics getting more and more punitive as they go. I suspect they hit their zenith with VoG and we're gradually sliding down the slope. Whether that is due to lack of quality ideas, or publishers rushing them or something else, I don't know but I don't think anyone would argue that the two bits of DLC are up to the quality of the original game.

Anyway, I feel the 'blast him to death' routine is going to be tweaked within an update or two anyway.

Well, that's what I mean - I'd bubble and blast that boss myself, because the alternative just doesn't look much fun. In VoG and Crota, we'd invariably play through the sections more or less as intended - e.g. the bridge - because the variety of interactions was interesting, dynamic, fun. Say someone fouled up his swordplay against a gatekeeper and failed to kill him, and you were up next, it was a bit more of a challenge to down two of them, which you relished. Or if a couple of new guys joined and both failed to kill the first two gatekeepers, you'd have to kill three, then revive your fallen teammates before activating the bridge - and you'd relish that even more, and there'd be a cheer, and a sense of proper achievement, and it'd be fun. You'd prefer to do that than just cheese over the bridge - though we have done that on occasion, we'd almost always do it the proper way, because it's involving, and dynamic, and fun. But I have to admit, I think in the 34 and 35 PoEs this week I'd just pop a bubble and try to prevent the game mechanics from ever getting going in the first place.

Anyway, enough of me going on about this, as it's probably getting a bit wearing. I'm just very disappointed with the end game here and its uniformly dull rewards, and also surprised at how quickly this has put me off a game I played avidly for months. As I said earlier though, I'd be up for more VoG or Crota - entirely cheese-free - even though there's no material gain to be had from them. They're just much more engaging to play through than the new stuff.

A few of us ran Crota hard last night it was fun except the only one who got anything decent was Mikeylrocks who managed to get fang but Mr Ben made an awesome attempt at being the sword bearer

Yeah loved that. Thanks for nursing my 32.5 hunter and his peashooters through it all. The gun is great, perks ain't all that but has great stability to just knock out headshots over and over. Makes we wonder why I've been fighting against a Ghelons Demise all this time.

^Sbrandon- up for 32 PoE

Well, that's what I mean - I'd bubble and blast that boss myself, because the alternative just doesn't look much fun. In VoG and Crota, we'd invariably play through the sections more or less as intended - e.g. the bridge - because the variety of interactions was interesting, dyamic, fun. Say, if someone fouled up his swordplay against a gatekeeper and failed to kill him, and you were up next, it was a bit more of a challenge to down two of them, which you relished. Or if a couple of new guys joined and both failed to kill the first two gatekeepers, you'd have to kill three, then revive your fallen teammates before activating the bridge - and you'd relish that even more, and there'd be a cheer, and a sense of proper achievement, and it'd be fun. You'd prefer to do that than just cheese over the bridge - though we have done that on occasion, we'd almost always do it the proper way, because it's involving, and dynamic, and fun. But I have to admit, I think in the 34 and 35 PoEs this week I'd just pop a bubble and try to prevent the game mechanics from ever getting going in the first place.

Anyway, enough of me going on about this, as it's probably getting a bit wearing. I'm just very disappointed with the end game here and its uniformly dull rewards, and also surprised at how quickly this has put me off a game I played avidly for months. As I said earlier though, I'd be up for more VoG or Crota - entirely cheese-free - even though there's no material gain to be had from them. They're just much more engaging to play through than the new stuff.

I thought you were taking a contrary position to me, but I agree with your post 100%.

I think, for me anyway, the aspect of 'cheese' only comes into consideration if the game is stopping your progress via bugs, or you're trying to complete the content in a way not intended (don't have enough fireteam members/want the challenge of soloing it ect.). I mean, Crota still misbehaves (had him down to no health and he still gets up and twats you) and I doubt Atheon will ever be bug free, but they're fun to keep trying regardless; very little in PoE is what I'd call fun (although I do like the burney floor man and haven't done 35 yet so can't comment on the content in there).

I also saw the Kell Titan helmet for the first time today in PvP and it looks absolutely ridiculous on the female model :lol:

I should be on for Nightfall, PoE 32 or anything else tonight from 9 if anyone has some spare time to help my lowly level 32 titan out (not even going to bother with my warlock or hunter anymore I think). I need an amour core and a chance of the energy from the nightfall it seems to progress any further... I did the PoE 28 with some randoms but it I might as well have been playing on my own for all the help they gave.

I should be on for Nightfall, PoE 32 or anything else tonight from 9 if anyone has some spare time to help my lowly level 32 titan out (not even going to bother with my warlock or hunter anymore I think). I need an amour core and a chance of the energy from the nightfall it seems to progress any further... I did the PoE 28 with some randoms but it I might as well have been playing on my own for all the help they gave.

Me and my bro will be on between 9-9.30pm to run poe 32 and nightfall if you fancy joining mate

ACD/0 Feedback Fence get! One engram, one set of cool looking arms.

Much better than my luck last week. That's basically all I wanted armour wise though so pretty pleased.

Anyone for some PoE and maybe a practice on Trials in a bit?

Just had a bit of ToO. Went a bit better than the Titan debacle last week, but still lost in (almost) straight sets. I didn't have any passage coins to buy any of the buffs though and two of the game we lost were 5-4 to them ones; plus I was only 33 and any other excuses I can think of but overall it went OK. Unfortunately, one of the people I do the ToO with is getting very, very disheartened with the whole thing so if anyone needs a +1 to fill a team, PSN is Scruff75 ;)

Apologies to Mr McStevus. Personally up for some vog, but had promised the wife not to go to bed late tonight.

Unfortunately, her capacity to make my life miserable far out ways the pleasure of running the raid. Some other time, hopefully.

Iron Banner next week with the chance to get 2 etheric light per character (1 at rank 3, another at rank 5). So everyone's going to be playing Iron Banner like crazy next week, right? :lol:

I've not played IB before.

Can anyone post a little guide please for beginners. I believe there are buffs you can use to speed up levelling?

You can get the same amount of etheric light as IB by doing Trials. It's more fun and takes much less time!

Unless you dont have 2 other players to do it with. Plus trials is only for a few days, whereas IB will be for about a week I'm assuming, and can be done on 3 characters now as theyre introducing a buff for your lower ranked characters so they can play catch up (this is in addition to the buff you can buy for the motes I'm assuming).

Not sure if this has been asked so apologies if I'm re-reading but does anyone know if you dismantle a piece of equipment that has been levelled with Etheric Light, do you get it back with a shard/mote/materials/whatever? I need to level my Titan Crota legs to get to 34 but I loath the aesthetic of them and I know as soon as I level them, I'll happen across a pair of decent looking legs with heavy ammo on them and it'll be a waste of the precious Light.