Destiny: FIN

Gorf King

I'm relieved that ToO is a weekend only event as I felt pretty close to having a heart attack on several occasions.

I managed to go 7-3 after a lot of failed attempts but a few things that helped me:

2. Rush the other team on the Heavy ammo round if you have a super ready.

But if you hear a Super pop on their team, be careful! Unless you're Suchuu.

If you're downed, you'll see the silhouette of the player that killed you running around. Let the others know where they're heading to - we were referencing the control points / ammo spawns for the most part. It's also worth tapping down on the dpad to follow your teammates while you're waiting for a revive.

If you're using an exotic primary or secondary, switch out to Gjallarhorn or Truth for the heavy ammo round. Use proximity detonation over tracking unless you're out in an open space.

I'd like to give it a better go this weekend, need to get playing some of the HoW PvP playlist for coins as I have none.

Doubt I'll ever manage a flawless passage, but surely the boots are within reach, 5 wins required - with the buffs you can get that in 3 wins right?

So, there I am, desperate for the wean to get a Gjallerhorn, only exotic that would be of interest to me now would be a hawkmoon, so there I am, watching Bawwy soloing crota using ma account dragging the wean along...........

Yip, I got another fucking Gjallerhorn, she got the hawkmoon, both dropped at the deathsinger section.

Just did level 34 PoE with my mates. First time we've tried the 34 (we didn't bother last week).
We were all level 34 already thanks to ToO and it was a load of fun once we figured out the mechanics.

We had one person purely on Qodron's Eye duty. Calling out where he was, taking him down then grouping together when the shields began so that they could be taken down quickly.
The other two were Bubble Titans with Weapons of Light. We took turns dropping out shields (which would produce orbs) and then slowly whittled down Qodron's health and took out adds. Was pretty tense at times and required a decent amount of communication. Received the same bloody scout rifle from the chest as I did on the level 32 last week.

At the end I decided to take the gamble with the Weapon Core and Armour Core.
Received the fucking gauntlets from last week (Strength and Intellect instead of purely strength though).
Oh well, that's what I get for gambling.

Nor me :(

Also, my first post HoW Vangard package yielded me a new arc fusion rifle, looks pretty nifty but I've already got a maxed Murmur and another ledge arc fusion.

Don't think the game has ever given me a scout rifle, ever. Is there a decent one to buy?

The Badger Vanguard one looked good but its gone now.

Nor me :(

Also, my first post HoW Vangard package yielded me a new arc fusion rifle, looks pretty nifty but I've already got a maxed Murmur and another ledge arc fusion.

Don't think the game has ever given me a scout rifle, ever. Is there a decent one to buy?

The Badger Vanguard one looked good but its gone now.

I have two of the dead orbit ones it's pretty nifty and I like the look of the normal crucible one, pretty even stats for a scout rifle

I have two of the dead orbit ones it's pretty nifty and I like the look of the normal crucible one, pretty even stats for a scout rifle

Cheers, need a rank up in both Crucible amd DO to get one of those but will check them out.

What happens to the old vendor weapons? Can you still get them as drops although they're not available to buy?

We're not 34 yet in our team because we don't do ToO (I don't play the game for PvP as I've never taken to that play style) so, as far as I understand it, we consequently don't really stand a chance in the lvl 34 PvE content this week (or, I assume, in the lvl 35). What we'd be doing this week instead of that is the same content (Urrox) I did 3 times last week at lvl 34, but brought down to 32. And after doing it 4 times, the jumping up and down and banging your head off the ceiling bit, it's not something I really want to do another twice, as it's really just not very interesting, or very much fun.

We have discussed getting six of us together and doing the raids again, even though I've rinsed those so many times I have all the rewards I want from them - simply because we still enjoy the gameplay in them. And we might do that, because they are still fun. And that's the main thing, so there is some fun to be had from Destiny yet. But aside from that, I think I may be done with the game, as if you don't do the PoEs every week for several weeks you'll not get the armour you need to get to 34. And if you're not enjoying the content you have to play to do that, it's really not worth it. So yeah, I have to say I'm hugely disappointed with the PvE stuff in House of Wolves. This will come as no surprise, but it's surprised me by being even less engaging than I thought it would be: if they'd had PoE as the end game in the original release instead of VoG, Destiny would never have made it into my top ten games of last year, let alone been number one - and of course, I wouldn't have pre-ordered the expansions. It's just not much cop in my opinion - PoE is derivative, stacked with cheap difficulty tricks, and feels curiously claustrophobic and uninviting - and the rewards are uninteresting, just some crap guns and dull (but mandatory if you want to reach level 34) armour. The fact that the most exciting thing you can obtain, and only from the 34/35, are the items you need to get your guns from last Autumn up to the right attack level, says it all really. Because all the best content is from last Autumn, and the second best is from last December, and the dregs - in both senses - are stuffed into HoW, PvE-wise at least.

So I think I might come on just enough to scrape enough together to eventually get to 34 - maybe - and for the odd ancient raid we cobble together for old time's sake. But apart from that, I think I may be done. I'm genuinely surprised at how rapidly I've fallen from being a massive fan of the game to coming to the realisation, only a week after the new release, that it may be over for me. But I genuinely think the new PvE stuff is mostly just manipulative, cheap guff, and I'm starting to feel a bit of a chump for playing through it over and over again. And that's not a good feeling.

PS I do have a Gjallarhorn. I guess if I didn't, that might be a reason to keep playing, as it's a lovely weapon and everyone should have one. But I'd really prefer to be using it in new content that I actually enjoyed.

/flounce

6 weeks ago I didn't have a Gjallarhorn, now I have 4 of them. I'm convinced the RNG routine has a built in check to increase drop rates dependant on what you have already.

They've definitely done some RNG tweaking. Heavy ammo and glimmer buffs drop more consistently than they did before.

I've had 4 drop. One from the Cryptarch back in the day, one a couple of months later. Third and fourth dropped recently.

Another scout rifle I managed to pick up was called NL Shadow 701X not sure which vendor it is but re rolled it for full auto and firefly it's pretty decent in PvP and pve plus it's got the 21 clip which is always handy

I have two matadors I want one for PvP with decent range what's the best perks to go for?

We're not 34 yet in our team because we don't do ToO (I don't play the game for PvP as I've never taken to that play style) so, as far as I understand it, we consequently we don't really stand a chance in the lvl 34 PvE content this week (or, I assume, in the lvl 35). What we'd be doing this week instead of that is the same content (Urrox) I did 3 times last week at lvl 34, but brought down to 32. And after doing it 4 times, the jumping up and down and banging your head off the ceiling bit, it's not something I really want to do another twice, as it's really just not very interesting, or very much fun.

We have discussed getting six of us together and doing the raids again, even though I've rinsed those so many times I have all the rewards I want from them - simply because we still enjoy the gameplay in them. And we might do that, because they are still fun. And that's the main thing, so there is some fun to be had from Destiny yet. But aside from that, I think I may be done with the game, as if you don't do the PoEs every week for several weeks you'll not get the armour you need to get to 34. And if you're not enjoying the content you have to play to do that, it's really not worth it. So yeah, I have to say I'm hugely disappointed with the PvE stuff in House of Wolves. This will come as no surprise, but it's surprised me by being even less engaging than I thought it would be: if they'd had PoE as the end game in the original release instead of VoG, Destiny would never have made it into my top ten games of last year, let alone been number one - and of course, I wouldn't have pre-ordered the expansions. It's just not much cop in my opinion - PoE is derivative, stacked with cheap difficulty tricks, and feels curiously claustrophobic and uninviting - and the rewards are uninteresting, just some crap guns and dull (but mandatory if you want to reach level 34) armour. The fact that the most exciting thing you can obtain, and only from the 34/35, are the items you need to get your guns from last Autumn up to the right attack level, says it all really. Because all the best content is from last Autumn, and the second best is from last December, and the dregs - in both senses - are stuffed into HoW, PvE-wise at least.

So I think I might come on just enough to scrape enough together to eventually get to 34 - maybe - and for the odd ancient raid we cobble together for old time's sake. But apart from that, I think I may be done. I'm genuinely surprised at how rapidly I've fallen from being a massive fan of the game to coming to the realisation, only a week after the new release, that it may be over for me. But I genuinely think the new PvE stuff is mostly just manipulative, cheap guff, and I'm starting to feel a bit of a chump for playing through it over and over again. And that's not a good feeling.

PS I do have a Gjallarhorn. I guess if I didn't, that might be a reason to keep playing, as it's a lovely weapon and everyone should have one. But I'd really prefer to be using it in new content that I actually enjoyed.

/flounce

Chap I know has two characters at level 34 and has never been on PvP ever, pretty sure he hit 34 within a day or two of the DLC hitting and commented its trivial and takes away any challenge to hitting top tier unlike the previous game/DLC - ToO seems to be about the hardest way to get to 34.

I have to say the DLC has driven me to the PvP arena as I have been getting sweet FA in the game for so long now that I needed a change, I can not be bothered to grind out keys even if the bounties are not too bad and I quite enjoy PoE - Having got into the PvP side I freaking love it, will defi hit ToO this weekend and fully expect to get my ass handed to me but I will still be having fun.

Back to the grind next week, well maybe I will try my luck at some PoE for keys...

All I want more than Etheric Light is a Hawkmoon. Will it drop? Will it fuck.

I wouldnt mind another Gjallerhorn either tbh, just because its a pain to swap back and forth all the time between 3 characters.

If I had 2 other people I consistently play with that like PvP that would be great, as it is it feels like a good chunk of the game is closed off to me.

We're not 34 yet in our team because we don't do ToO (I don't play the game for PvP as I've never taken to that play style) so, as far as I understand it, we consequently we don't really stand a chance in the lvl 34 PvE content this week (or, I assume, in the lvl 35). What we'd be doing this week instead of that is the same content (Urrox) I did 3 times last week at lvl 34, but brought down to 32. And after doing it 4 times, the jumping up and down and banging your head off the ceiling bit, it's not something I really want to do another twice, as it's really just not very interesting, or very much fun.

/flounce

I'm quite enjoying HoW so far but I can definitely see why it wouldn't appeal to everyone.
As a horde mode PoE isn't particularly hitting the mark, as it has an end to it, and I think the appeal of these gamemodes is usually to go back each time and beat your previous best (see Nazi Zombies/ODST Firefight), whereas this has been designed purely as a means of getting rewards. It doesn't stand on it's own two feet as an exercise you'll want to repeat (once you have what you need from it) in the way that a Raid does. That doesn't mean I'm not enjoying it, I'm loving it right now, but I can see it losing it's appeal once I have all my characters to 34.

If people want to do better in Trials the best thing you can do is start playing some skirmish and salvage during the week with two other people, learn the maps, the flow of 3v3, each others games, how to use the radar to locate accurately and feint the opposition. Also have at least one sniper, shotguns are good but they are trade weapons, staying alive is far more useful than trading, drop people out of shotgun range then push the remaining two in to panicking and making mistakes.

Gorf. You could have got 2 characters to 34 last week without doing any trials, just move etheric light around, ascended a pair of boots and a chest, so long as you beat 34 and 35 at least twice.

Chap I know has two characters at level 34 and has never been on PvP ever, pretty sure he hit 34 within a day or two of the DLC hitting and commented its trivial and takes away any challenge to hitting top tier unlike the previous game/DLC - ToO seems to be about the hardest way to get to 34.

Completing PoE level 32 3 times (assuming he has 3 characters) + 2 exotic ascensions would only have got him to 33 with 2 characters, so he must have done 3 PoE 34 runs as well and used the etheric lights from them to ascend 3 old armour pieces, putting 2 on one character to get them to 34 and one on the other to get to 33.5 (I could have done exactly the same by the end of week one), and then using the 34 character to beat level 35 PoE and using its etheric light to ascend another old armour piece to get the second character to level 34.

If he's done all that, after doing all the story missions and level 28s for each character, within a day or two of launch, good for him - but he must be playing all day and all night, I'd suggest, which is hardly trivial. And he's also not been doing what most people would - ascending their favourite old weapons to 365 using the EL. Of course, it's perfectly valid to do that - and it's a more efficient way of getting stuck into the 34/35 content than waiting each week for the armour to drop - but when after 3 weeks you'll get all that armour anyway from the 32s + one exotic, it's not the most fun way, I'd suggest. Because those great old guns are most of the fun - for me, at least, and you're still gong to want to ascend them anyway, because what use or fun is a 34 character with shit guns? So you'll have to keep playing PoE to do that in any case.

You don't need the armour from PoE or ToO to get to 34, do you?

Can't you just ascend with shards/etheric light?

You can get etheric light from IB and Nightfalls as well. I have no idea about IB, but the drop rate for Nightfalls doesn't seem great. My team have done 6 since release - and I've done it additional times with others - and I've not seen one drop for anyone. I know people here have had some - I know someone who's had two drop - but to ascend the full set with three characters, discounting your exotic piece, you'd need 9. In the unlikely event that you get one EL drop each week from a Nightfall, that's 9 weeks. You'd have hit level 34 before then (in fact, in week 3) using PoE armour.

So yes, it won't take long to get to 34. But if you don't do PvP, it really does require playing PoE over and over. It's just not very exciting/interesting/fun, in my opinion. And once you've done that, it's not something you'd choose to do again in the way that many people have played raids over and over again just for the fun of it, and for the sake of showing others how to do them. The gameplay mix and the scenarios are just hugely less involving and entertaining, and level aside, the items that drop... well, they're no Black Hammer/Fatebringer/Vex Mythoclast/Corrective Measure, are they? It's third-rate equipment, and third-rate content. IMHO.

Glad folks are responding to my post in a good way.

Bobby, that would make a lovely post in the Destiny online folder with a little bit extra explaining The Trials of Osiris mode.

If you are happy to do great, if not I will do once I have completed the Raid guides.

I reckon taking my post, adding the other contributions that came after mine with you adding structure to it would be great. I say go for it :)

I think Etheric Light is a guaranteed drop in IB at rank 3 and 5.

Rank 3 wouldn't be more than a evening or two work with the purchased buffs but I'll bet you'll only get 2max per event/character and they're not all that regular.

Completing PoE level 32 3 times (assuming he has 3 characters) + 2 exotic ascensions would only have got him to 33 with 2 characters, so he must have done 3 PoE 34 runs as well and used the etheric lights from them to ascend 3 old armour pieces, putting 2 on one character to get them to 34 and one on the other to get to 33.5 (I could have done exactly the same by the end of week one), and then using the 34 character to beat level 35 PoE and using its etheric light to ascend another old armour piece to get the second character to level 34.

If he's done all that, after doing all the story missions and level 28s for each character within a day or two of launch, good for him - but he must be playing all day and all night, I'd suggest, which is hardly trivial. And he's also not been doing what most people would - ascending their favourite old weapons to 365 using the EL. Of course, it's perfectly valid to do that - and it's a more efficient way of getting stuck into the 34/35 content than waiting each week for the armour to drop - but when after 3 weeks you'll get all that armour anyway from the 32s + one exotic, it's not the most fun way, I'd suggest. Because those great old guns are most of the fun - for me, at least, and you're still gong to want to ascend them anyway, because what use or fun is a 34 character with shit guns? So you'll have to keep playing PoE to do that in any case.

You can get etheric light from IB and Nightfalls as well. I have no idea about IB, but the drop rate for Nightfalls doesn't seem great. My team have done 6 since release - and I've done it additional times with others - and I've not seen one drop for anyone. I know people here have had some - I know someone who's had two drop - but to ascend the full set with three characters, discounting your exotic piece, you'd need 9. In the unlikely event that you get one EL drop each week from a Nightfall, that's 9 weeks. You'd have hit level 34 before then (in fact, in week 3) using PoE armour.

So yes, it won't take long to get to 34. But if you don't do PvP, it really does require playing PoE over and over. It's just not very exciting/interesting/fun, in my opinion. And once you've done that, it's not something you'd choose to do again in the way that many people have played raids over and over again just for the fun of it, and for the sake of showing others how to do them. The gameplay mix and the scenarios are just hugely less involving and entertaining, and level aside, the items that drop... well, they're no Black Hammer/Fatebringer/Vex Mythoclast/Corrective Measure, are they? It's third-rate equipment, and third-rate content. IMHO.

AFAIK he hasn't done 34/35 PoE as yet - he got etheric light from the nightfalls and whats her face in the reef - he is lucky I guess!

Still no more keys for me, quite a few chests opened both on PoE and the patrol events :(