Destiny: FIN

Gorf King

Our team has been struggling to finish off Crota, which seems boil down to not enough tracking rockets. Which seems a bit shit. Anyone have any good guidance/advice on how to kill the bugger. We've got the basics. One sniper to take on knights in the one tower, sword bearer calls when we have to fire, we call when shield down. Just doesn't seem to be working. As mentioned, I've got nothing with tracking so I normally just spam icebreaker shots. The slightest Crota movement seems to make the dumb rockets miss. It is really frustrating when we are pretty much there, but not all the way.

Christ, we even tried the net disconnect trick which seemed to do absolutely nothing.

I dunno if anyone wants another go tonight, but if not I've got a checkpoint at Crota himself if anyone wants to get some loot? I've got a poor level 30 who needs to go through as well Jerec if you want a hand Friday.

I'm going to say this but you are on the right path to victory but having played with a lot of different groups to kill Crota there is one thing many groups do that just hinders you and no matter how hard you try will probably result in failure.

You need the power to take Crota down like turning on or off a light switch, that is the key. Anything else is no good. The sword user is too exposed to stay alive if they are dancing in front of Crota waiting on him going down. As a half decent sword bearer (Lyrical and Jim taught me well :D) I rely on my team to take him down when I say and instead of waiting for him to go down then jumping up to hit him you actually are taking a leap of faith otherwise you will only have time for one hit.

Last night I played with a group and I was a level 32, ideal for taking down Crota quick but the rest of the team didn't have heavy ammo synthesis and were struggling to take him down because of it.

Luckily there was a guy (Muz's bro) who is really good with the Sword but is level 31. We switched roles, I used Gjallerhorn and made sure Crota went down instantly every time and we got him no issue.

It's all about functioning as a team here.

Here are the only two important points, in order, for taking down Crota's shield:

1. Consistency

2. Speed

The first is far more important than the second. Consistency is essential, speed desirable. You have to know that when someone says 'damage him', you will take x seconds to bring the shield down, every time. The sword guy can then time his attack (with a bit of variation available to him according to his skill set, e.g. if he can go invisible he can be looser on the timings).

Then when you have that x seconds down, you can add weapons with more instant damage to the mix and reduce the gap between pulling the trigger and the sword guy attacking. Ideally the gap is tiny and there is barely a pause between the damage team opening up and the sword guy attacking. But a constant 4 second gap is better than a gap that varies between 2 and 4 seconds. We started by using, as Mike says, a mix of HMGs and guided rockets (they must be guided - there's no room for missing shots). Then as more of us acquired guided rockets we switched to those and dialled down the pause between the gun team's attack and the sword guy's attack accordingly. So now we get him down quicker, but depending on who we have as sword guy, we start the damage at a different point in the sword guy's run, because different sword guys prefer different routes to the boss. Ideally, as Barry says, it's like flicking a switch - but if that switch turns the light on after a 4 second delay you can still make that work, as it is consistent and the sword guy can adjust when he calls for the attack to start to take account of that.

This is also what makes it tricky at first to play the end section in different teams: you have to adjust timings to what damage the gun team put out, and the route/attack type favoured by the bloke with the sword. Once you have that figured out for your particular mix of players and weapons, you've got it nailed. The trick is simply to be constant every time - same weapons, same number of shots. And don't miss. If you do miss and/or don't take the exact same amount of time every time, you are likely to fail.

That's all it is.

sword bearer calls when we have to fire, we call when shield down.

NB This won't work imo, if I've read you right. Calling for the sword man to attack only once the shield is down is too late. You can't have a gap between the shield being down and the sword guy attacking: the sword guy has to time it so he is on top of Crota at the moment he goes down, otherwise he won't have enough time to put sufficient damage on him each go. So the call for damage, if there is one, must allow for the sword man to make his final move to Crota as the damage is being applied so that he reaches Crota as he is going down - or, if he is invisible, he can even be beside/behind him before he is down. There should be no need for you to call when the shield is down, as it should be implicit from the initial call for damage (like Barry's light switch: immediate) or like the sword guy knows the delay anyway and is on his way up to the platform during that damage phase - he shouldn't be waiting to be told Crota is down before moving next him to deliver his blows.

What I suggested might be what you're doing anyway, but it didn't read like that to me.

Got a VoG Hard starting at 8pm, need one player hopefully someone with experience as taking a first timer through. (First time on VoG hard but not VoG itself)

I'd love to Baz but probably won't be able to get on till 9ish. I'm sure you won't have trouble finding someone but if not I'll join you guys as soon as I get on to give you a hand

I'd love to Baz but probably won't be able to get on till 9ish. I'm sure you won't have trouble finding someone but if not I'll join you guys as soon as I get on to give you a hand

Might end up having to start a bit later anyway but obv if I havent got anyone by then you have the spot mate.

Can anyone help with a Crota kill? Me and my bro are at him now. We will need ideally some level 31's as my warlock is a 30. Feel free to just join/add me and join.

We will be running the first half of it after as my bro hasn't done that if anyone wants to join for that too. That should only take 10 mins as he's a hunter with those exotic gauntlets

First attempt at Crota Raid & we manged to get past the first section & I got rewarded with new gauntlets :)

Next section we were close but only managed to get two across the bridge.

It seems tougher than vault of glass but it was our first attempt & I expect it will become easier once we know what to do in each stage.

Bungie Weekly Update - 01/08/2015

Below is a preview of changes being made to Crota’s End and a little bit of a love tap for the Vault of Glass. (patch is next Tuesday, January 13th)

Crota’s End – Updates
  • The existing Pit treasure chest reward moved to killing Ir Yut, the Deathsinger. She has a chance to drop Exotic weapons and armor, class pieces, and Radiant materials.
  • The Pit treasure chest will now contain Radiant Materials.
Pit Encounter
  • Removed the physics impulse caused by exploding lanterns.
Bridge Encounter
  • Players will now be required to cross the bridge in order to complete the bridge encounter.
  • Players will now be required to wait for the bridge to be completed prior to crossing with the sword.
Deathsinger Encounter
  • Fixed a rare case where the Shriekers would not spawn, preventing players from reaching the Deathsinger.

Crota Encounter
  • Two Swordbearers will no longer spawn at the same time at the outset of the encounter.
  • Crota will now recover from his kneeling state after a player quits.
  • Fixed a bug that allowed players to remove the “Presence of Crota” using a Radiance Warlock’s Fireborn ability.
  • Fixed a bug that made the Oversoul appear destroyed to some players in a Fireteam when it was actually still active.
Vault of Glass – Updates
  • Exotic weapon drops in the Vault of Glass are now Level 32.
Getting Swole in the Crucible
The Raid crew wasn’t the only team readying tweaks heading into and out of the holiday season. Our Crucible designers have a few things in the works to add some spice to the early goings of 2015.
  • Asylum, The Anomaly, and The Burning Shrine maps will be added to existing Clash and Control playlist rotation.
  • Iron Banner will return, with updated rewards, running from January 13th through January 19th.
Full and final details for Raid, Crucible, and Iron Banner updates will be provided as patch notes next week.
No mention of a Black Hammer (raid sniper rifle) bug fix for the Hive Disruptor stopping White Nail working (annoyingly I upgraded mine without thinking :facepalm:). White Nail wont work on Hive Majors (yellow health non-boss Hive) if you do upgrade it, but works fine on anything else (including Phogoth as he's an ultra not a major, and I assume Omnigul, but good luck getting 3 headshots on that bitch) so it isn't a complete fail if you accidentally do that, but its still shit that it didn't get caught in testing.

Good updates to the raid so we can now crack on doing it properly and have fun doing so.

The best time we did Crota was our first time, when the first section took 3.5 hrs then the next took a few hours and in the end we got over the bridge with only 4 to take down the Ogres.

Looking forward to Tuesday now :)

Good work on them having Deathsinger reward you.

I've just started playing this and hit level 5 yesterday.

Is there a decent beginners guide anywhere? I have no idea on if I should stay on earth and do those extra mission things and what they get me?

There seems to be a level 8 strike thing that I've not tried yet.

I don't understand vanguard marks either.

All the guides I've looked at haven't covered these things