Destiny: FIN

Gorf King

I enjoy the game because the mechanics are excellent, but it seems pretty clear that they've tried to make up for a lack of content with a compulsion loop. And I don't think that's how the game was envisioned when development started, or pitched to consumers upon announcement.

This trailer is one of the more telling, but there's plenty more evidence both in and around the game that its focus shifted during the last year of development; in hindsight, Joseph Staten's departure around that time seems even more conspicuous.

A few notable examples of things that might have been: the game was going to have an episodic story structure, presumably continually expanded post-release akin to Guild Wars 2; Factions were more of a commitment, or at least far more prominent a gameplay element; Saturn and Mercury were destinations, as was the Rift as a Tower-like social hub.

I don't know why things changed and it's likely no one will be able to say for a good 10 years. And I don't feel ripped-off, per se, as I have got my money's worth from what was released even if I don't think very highly of the DLC. But it isn't the game I wanted, and I can't imagine it's the experience people at Bungie intended when they sunk 5 years of their lives into it. That's the real shame: it's a good game, housing a lot of elements the developer should be proud of, but it feels gutted, compromised, and whatever 'expansions' they release aren't going to be enough to remedy that.

Probably never, as Weavus hasn't fallen for it taken advantage of this generous offer yet, and I've just discovered that another of the guys turns out to be ill. Tomorrow night would be a good alternative, but I'm not sure about K then. It'll come together though, I'm confident of it!

Might just try the nightfall this evening instead, to prepare my body for all the shiny new armour our crack team is going to liberate from Scrota's End later this week.

If anyone needs a hand with weekly or nightfall let me know

Still??? Yev done it aboot 6 times that I know of (me and baz this afternoon, cheers byraway).

Me and Baz wur doing crota with just us 2 today, piece a piss. I play dead, he killed the bad guys, i got shitty rewards.

Hot fix:

1.1.0.2 : The one that followed Expansion I.
This update corrects some issues that were introduced to Destiny with the release of The Dark Below. We are also continuing to support the Destiny sandbox with changes that were identified prior the launch of Expansion I.
General
  • Fixed a typo in the German word for 'Radiant Energy'
Weapons
  • General
    • Fixed an issue in which some weapon projectiles were improperly penetrating Hive shields
  • Pocket Infinity
    • Rolled back changes induced by a previous Exotic weapon update
    • Charge up and deactivation now work as originally designed
    • Players may again encounter a previously known issue which prevents charge up
Gear
  • Both existing and future Raid gear obtained in Crota’s End now begins at Level 30 with an upgrade path to reach Level 32
  • Raid helmet obtained in Crota's End now drops on Normal Mode and will be a more frequent drop on Hard Mode
  • Fixed an issue in which Dead Orbit Hunter cloaks awarded reputation gains for both Dead Orbit and Vanguard/Crucible
Activities
Added a replayable node to the Director for the ‘Fist of Crota' mission

I wonder if this means Machine Guns won't get through shields, as I'm adamant this wasn't meant to happen, as with Pulse Rifles.

Still??? Yev done it aboot 6 times that I know of (me and baz this afternoon, cheers byraway).

Me and Baz wur doing crota with just us 2 today, piece a piss. I play dead, he killed the bad guys, i got shitty rewards.

Yeah I saw that just the two of you were raiding and I thought it was just to get the first chest but then you were still in the half hour later!

Got the bad juju bounty so racking up the strikes whilst trying to be helpful :)

I think the biggest issue with the game is how inaccessible it is. Most players aren't going to have access to 5 other friends in order to tackle the Raid (the best the game has to offer IMO) and a lot of people are not into PvP. If you fall in to both those categories then I can see how certain criticisms are absolutely viable, there certainly isn't much meat in The Dark Below outside of that, that's for sure. But if you are able to get involved in both, then suddenly it seems like a much more enticing package.

Having played only a few hours (I'm level 6 or 7 atm) little of what I'm reading is inspiring me to continue putting time into it, exactly because it seems so inaccessible - the Raids are apparently the best bit, but I need to be highly levelled before I can play one, and I need to level myself higher before I can play a Hard Raid. It sounds like a load of hassle judging by the slog to Lvl30 many people seem to have experienced.

I get that the gear is part of the overall gameplay design, and that more hours invested translates to better gear, but as someone who's never played an MMO it seems like an odd design, because I can't play the aforementioned Raids with friends who have been playing since release because I'd be pulverised by the enemies. However, getting half-decent gear requires stacks of time investment, followed by further time to level up for the current DLC stuff, by which time some more DLC (no doubt requiring a higher level) will be out and everyone will be playing that instead.

At least that's how it seems from where I am right now.

Probably never, as Weavus hasn't fallen for it taken advantage of this generous offer yet, and I've just discovered that another of the guys turns out to be ill. Tomorrow night would be a good alternative, but I'm not sure about K then. It'll come together though, I'm confident of it!

Might just try the nightfall this evening instead, to prepare my body for all the shiny new armour our crack team is going to liberate from Scrota's End later this week.

Can't do tomorrow night, unfortunately. Definitely up for the nightfall / weekly, as I've got that exotic bounty that means you have to do nuff strikes.

Yeah I saw that just the two of you were raiding and I thought it was just to get the first chest but then you were still in the half hour later!

Got the bad juju bounty so racking up the strikes whilst trying to be helpful :)

When I say I played dead, that is essentially what my role was. No real time for starting raid proper, cant commit the hours as we learn the ropes.

On the plus side, doing quite well for raid upgrade materials for when I start properly.

Cheers to Ben and Banjaxed for the Nightfall, the latter got Hawkmoon! Also thanks for helping me test out my new router, seems to be crystal clear. So if there's any NAT issues in future, its you lot, not me! ;)

Me and baz got shafted as usual.. Though I do now have a full set of new rocket launchers to upgrade to 331,void done, arc up next.

the game is no harder at level 32 for a level 32 player than it is at level 26 for a level 26 player. No new skills were added, nothing changed apart from a number next to your name, so why even bother raising it?

You can make that argument at any level though, I mean pretty much all the enemies in VoG are the same as you faced at level 12, why bother making it level 26, Why have leveling at all? If you are happy with levelling which I presume you are considering the amount of time you have put into the game then I really cannot understand this argument at all. (I realise this is an argument many have made about the game).

Just face it it's a game about raising a number next to your name/weapon/armour, that is what it is. The fact it is fun while doing that is the great thing about it.

So a hotfix. So they fix Pocket Infinity by reverting it back. In other words, we have no idea what the fuck we did and we have your money so fuck you. Oh god, you don't think they fixed (mild raid spoiler follow)

the solo raid chest do you?

10847692_980499151965040_465976394826977

NOPE.

You can make that argument at any level though, I mean pretty much all the enemies in VoG are the same as you faced at level 12, why bother making it level 26, Why have leveling at all? If you are happy with levelling which I presume you are considering the amount of time you have put into the game then I really cannot understand this argument at all. (I realise this is an argument many have made about the game).

Up to about level 30 you were gaining skills though. By the time you get to level 30 you would have maxxed out both classes skill tree. There was little point in going to 32 imo apart from padding a meagre DLC.

Up to about level 30 you were gaining skills though. By the time you get to level 30 you would have maxxed out both classes skill tree. There was little point in going to 32 imo apart from padding a meagre DLC.

Well considering I never got to 30 that isn't true. I'd maxed both out by 23, but again that's only because of the amount of xp it took to get those skills, they could have made it so you were fully levelled by 12 if they wanted. It's a completely arbitrary number you are holding on to.

Well considering I never got to 30 that isn't true. I'd maxed both out by 23, but again that's only because of the amount of xp it took to get those skills, they could have made it so you were fully levelled by 12 if they wanted. It's a completely arbitrary number you are holding on to.

You must have been a bit unlucky with legendary/exotic drops then as I don't even think I was ever level 23 (or certainly not for very long at all) I only maxed both skill trees once I'd got to 29 or 30 (but 30 was pretty quick for me as I had some lucky raid drops).

Or put it another way, there should have been no level 30 players who had not maxed both skill trees out. Any that had not must have just forgotten to switch to them when handing in bounties.

Given their imo broken level/light system, I'm still convinced they would have been better keeping that cap at 30 for the first DLC and just open more options for people to get the gear they needed with the new raid/vanguard equipment etc. What they did was really stupid as it just removed a large swathe of equipment from the pool and everyone ends up using the same guns and armour again so they lose most sense of individuality or customisation. It also pissed me and a number of other people off enough to make us stop playing.