IGNORED

Destiny: FIN

Gorf King

There are loads of them. Xp boosts, glimmer boosts, you name it. So you can actually buff and improve your character by chasing ranks in the grimoire cards too.

One thing I didn't notice about this 'til now, a lot of the text says things like:

"All characters will earn weapon experience faster for weapons of this type."

All characters? Does that mean the Grimoire cards and levelling is per account rather than per character? Or is referring to the buff being also applied to someone you're teamed up with if you have it?

Am I playing it wrong then? Currently descending into the library on level 7 (at level 7) story mission on the moon, and truly getting my ass kicked. Am I meant to go back and grind until I get to a level where I can obliterate, or should I be playing with mates?

Tempted to trade this in. I'm either missing something or it's not for me.

Halo combat - are you serious? I'd still be playing if this had anything like. Maybe on the lower difficulties the game has a Halo-esque feel to it. It's also incredibly easy. On higher difficulties, when the enemies become bullet sponges to add some challenge, it's nothing like Halo. Had more satisfaction against one particularly devious elite last night in Halo: CE than my whole time playing Destiny. The AI doesn't hold a candle to Halo, either.

I really fail to see it doing anything better than any other game, combat wise. Whats the hook for you?

Now I've finally got to Mars and seen most of the enemy types, I'm really enjoying the different approaches you have to take to put the different races down. If you compare that with the Prometheans from Halo 4, for example, it shows that Bungie have the knack for making the combat really satisfying.

Throw in some cool grenade types and my ridiculous special, along with all the upgrading of the different weapon types and it becomes properly amazing.

I've yet to see the AI perform as well as Halo on Legendary, but I've seen glimpses of it and I expect it'll happen once I start doing the higher level strikes/raids/etc.

It's also got that intangible magic that only Bungie can seem to produce. (A bit of hyperbole for Radish, there).

Halo combat - are you serious? I'd still be playing if this had anything like. Maybe on the lower difficulties the game has a Halo-esque feel to it. It's also incredibly easy. On higher difficulties, when the enemies become bullet sponges to add some challenge, it's nothing like Halo. Had more satisfaction against one particularly devious elite last night in Halo: CE than my whole time playing Destiny. The AI doesn't hold a candle to Halo, either.

Bosses aside, they're only bullet sponges if you're using the wrong elemental weapon to take down their shields, or enemies have scaled up accomodate your fireteam and you're not communicating with your team to focus on targets. The only major enemy without a weakspot is the Minotaur as far as I know, so they're a bit bullet-spongey if you're trying to take one down by yourself.

Many of the enemies in Destiny have the same AI patterns as enemies in Halo, or variations of. They're really good at running into cover to regenerate shields and finding a new angle from which to hit the player. Depends which enemies you're fighting and in what combination. The Vex mostly do the borglike mindless encroachment thing, the fallen captains are basically a copy-paste of elites with a teleport instead of a dodge, the dregs work like grunts by cowering in fear with the hands over their ears in the middle of a fight if you kill their captain, which always makes me feel a bit guilty. The servitors buff enemies around them, giving them extra health, regen and armour. Shanks don't have weak points and fly over stuff to flank you, flushing you out like a hovering grenade if you don't take them down quickly. Hobgoblins require a precision shot to the chest or they raise their shields, but you can also use this to your advantage by spraying at a pack of them to put them out of action for a few seconds. The cabal are really good (most of the time) at jetpacking from one place to another to chase you down or escape.

The only problem I have is boss AI, they need more patterns. Most of them simply do the same thing all the way through the encounter.

Also don't confuse level with difficulty. The difficulty in this goes normal > heroic > mythic > nightfall. The "hard, very hard" etc stuff only relates to level. Playing a "very hard" strike on normal (i.e. no skulls) just means you're underlevelled, the AI and enemy placement is still in "normal" mode. The main difference I've seen is some enemies are more aggressive and others are more defensive.

They also have some funny modifiers on the dailies, for example where enemies are extra aggressive.

I thought it looked too good to be true. Makes sense I suppose.

I'll be attempting it later if any PS4 lot wanna help me.

If you and Moz can hold off attempting it to 6:30 I'll join too. Need those three strangers coins to get something nice for the weekend!!

How does the loot drop mechanic work when playing with others? Say for instance an enemy drops a nice new gun and I pick it up, is it still available for the other fireteam members to pick up or is it a case of whoever gets there first?

Everything is completely seperate. They don't see any of the loot drops (ammo, engrams etc,...) that you see. They will have their own independent drops that you can't see.

EDIT: or as above!

You know something that has annoyed me since day one, the first mission, the laser trip mines, I haven't seen them since. I thought they were cool.

That was to teach you how to crouch, but mines would be really cool for defending Dinklebot for the 9000th time.

I just noticed, according to the lore, the house of wolves reside in the reef. Given that the second expansion is called house of wolves, I would guess that's when the next playable area opens up?

Had a real clusterfuck of an experience doing the Moon Strike last night.

Started off badly when there were just two ships on the loading screen. So the two of us ran around getting royally destroyed and reviving each other, as you do, until I jumped backwards off the ledge at the back, as I do, and then tried to double jump my way back up the rocks to safety. This actually worked but put me under the ledge with no obvious way to get back in the action, aside from shooting enemies that fell right back into that section across the way. I could hear all sorts of hell breaking loose above me and, with my team mate needing a revive, all enemies where drawn towards me but couldn't get to me. I decided it best to just hide there like a coward until my team mate could auto-revive, so I heroically crouched there waiting for him to come save the day...which he didn't. He quit. With nothing to lose I made a giant leap off the rock and to my surprise (and probably the surprise of the two knights, two wizards, Giant Angry Beast, and all the other hell spawn waiting to kill me) got back to the main arena. This caused me to jump backwards again (I really need to stop doing that) but this time I landed behind a small group of rocks on the left hand side which protected me from the lazor death barrage that followed. Its a great place that is, apart from the occasional sneaky knight on a ledge above and the odd inquisitive wizard, pretty safe if you crouch. So I spent the next 30 minutes or so popping up to shoot the Giant Angry Beast in the balls (from what I could tell is his yellow number sweet spot), legging it out to get ammo and then back over and over until he was almost done. At that point two new team members joined the game, one hit killed him and that was that. When I went to turn in the bounty for killing the Giant Angry Beast it was still active...

That was to teach you how to crouch, but mines would be really cool for defending Dinklebot for the 9000th time.

I just noticed, according to the lore, the house of wolves reside in the reef. Given that the second expansion is called house of wolves, I would guess that's when the next playable area opens up?

Fuck crouching. I just shot my way through.

Nobody else can see it, its all yours.

Loot is individual. Everything dropped is yours

Everything is completely seperate. They don't see any of the loot drops (ammo, engrams etc,...) that you see. They will have their own independent drops that you can't see.

EDIT: or as above!

Thanks, good to know I can hoover it all up guilt free :D

In the planetary map (or whatever you want to call the thing) I've got a load of stuff down the left hand side, in a column. No explanation, of course. Seems to be various things - but why are they there?

I think its like a quick click option for stuff, the first should be crucible event, the second is the weekly story thing, and the third should be the weekly strike

I haven't offered any opinions, I'm just speaking to the comments like "it's fun if you like it" and "it's not grindy" in response to complaints about it being grindy.

I kinda thought we'd all gotten over this whole "why does this review not concord with my own view" years ago?

Did you though..? Did you really?

Because it feels like you've come into the thread, disagreed with some of the people talking positively about the game, expressing you know, their opinions. Every time anyone's said "well I've not found it grindy because I think it's fun to play" you've gone on some rant about how people enjoying the game aren't letting people that aren't express opinions. It seems to be a fairly balanced discussion in here from what I've read.

Makes sense, I did actually shoot them though ha ! Yeah I really think it would add to the game by having them appear in more missions or if you could use them against enemies.

I haven't offered any opinions, I'm just speaking to the comments like "it's fun if you like it" and "it's not grindy" in response to complaints about it being grindy.

I kinda thought we'd all gotten over this whole "why does this review not concord with my own view" years ago?

It's not grindy because it isn't.

I wasn't really saying this in defence of me enjoying the game, it was more for people who haven't yet played to not be put off.

Basically playing through casually (a few hours a night) on NORMAL mode with my standard shooting skills got me up to the magic lv20 before wrapping up every mission.

Jon played a few hours less, and has usually been in fireteams with people 4-5 levels above him (so getting less kills naturally) and he'd hit 18 last night. None of us have had to grind and grind and grind to either level up or be 'strong enough' to clear a level.

Not about views matching my own, it's just straight up not grindy!