Destiny: FIN

Gorf King

Haha dat butthurt. What is this? Gamefaqs? I've expressed both positive and negative feelings on the game. Get a grip guys.

Here's the tl;dr of the review if you didn't actually bother to read it, cuz' you know they facking gave it a 6 mate! How dare they?

Destiny suggests potential it never realizes

Let's wipe away Bungie's legacy with Halo, which put them on top of the world and in a position to make a game they've said they always wanted to make for ages. We'll step back from the whispers of giant budgets, of corporate politics. For now, Destiny is just another game.

As just another game, Destiny is a confusing combination of often at-odds elements — it presents itself as ambitious, almost boastful, while seeming strangely safe and reserved. It wants to eat its cake as a shooter, and have the longevity of an MMO — but it lacks the combat sophistication of the former, and the deep well of content native to the latter.

For all the wonder of its presentation, the swelling potential suggested by its (excellent) score and the basic foundational strength of its controls, Destiny often feels like a collection of its influences' biggest problems.

Defiance did MMO shooter better, Halo: Reach did tactical shooting AND story better, Diablo did loot better, Borderlands did loot better and had more character...

Yet, I'm still having a blast with this. I'm disappointed in many aspects of it - it feels lacking in comparison to even Bungie's own output - but, I dunno. I ventured down into the moon (I don't really know why, the game isn't giving us much of a driver to do anything at all) and the environments were stunning. Absolutely stunning. I ended up covering my ghost again while he decrypted something and that should have made me sad that the mission ended the same, but I loved horde mode on Reach and this is more of that so it's great. And I was headshotting knights at 10 feet with my sniper rifle and causing over 1,500 points of damage.

That arbitrary number was very exciting.

Back on Earth I went to do a patrol and it lead me into a high ranked area where I had to have a massive battle to scan the area, then it wanted me to head home. Screw that, I thought, and headed towards a light which took me to a cave entrance which took me underground which lead me to OH MY GOD SO MANY HIGH LEVEL ENEMIES RUN! RUN AWAY! These environment are huge.

PvP is a bit hit and miss but it feels better to me than Halo ever did and nova bombing a flag and killing 3 people as I got headshotted in my very first match kinda made me love it loads.

So, yeah, lacking. But what a base they have to build off over the coming months.

Defiance did MMO shooter better, Halo: Reach did tactical shooting AND story better, Diablo did loot better, Borderlands did loot better and had more character...

It's one of those weird games where it does a lot not as well as it should but when you put it all together it turns out to be really good fun. Maybe some reviewers are missing that.

Personally I think people are being naive if they think Bungie/Activision are going to add on lots amazing new content gratis (beyond the announced before launch single Raid) when they're hoping to flog paid 'expansions' at £20 a pop. But I hope I'm proved wrong.

Riiiiiight, That's it lads, I've been having a blast with this game and was looking forward to playing again tonight but all these bad reviews man, I must just be being fooled by some kind of evil bungie trickery. I can't play with it anymore. I have finally seen the light.

Reviews > Personal feelings.

Those expansions had better offer substantial new areas at that price, if they try to flog 5 new missions on the Moon for £20 then their (already somewhat underwhelmed) community is going to turn on them incredibly fast.

Considering they've confirmed that the first one is set on the Moon, I'm guessing we can already rule out entirely new planets for the game. Maybe The Hive will open up.

Right, take a deep breath. This is a discussion forum where people express their personal opinions about games, including talking about reviews. It's fine if you enjoy it, it's fine if others aren't enjoying it as much as you. Personally I like reading a range of views. But if opinions that differ from your own distress you so much perhaps you should just stick to dedicated fan sites where you can happily enjoy an echo chamber that will give you the comfort reinforcing your personal beliefs forevermore.

Riiiiiight. I'll keep that in mind next time I dare post a review.

To be fair, someone already posted that review three days ago. But cheers! Time to go to the Fifa 15 thread and tell everyone how I don't like the look it, how I'm not going to play it and how, this weekend, my mate was playing the demo and asked if I wanted a go, but I said 'no thanks'.

Right, take a deep breath. This is a discussion forum where people express their personal opinions about games, including reviews. If opinions that differ from your own distress you so much perhaps you should just stick to dedicated fan sites where you can happily enjoy an echo chamber that will reinforce your personal beliefs forevermore.

Actually for your info, it doesn't bother me if someone doesn't like the game. I made a post in light of all the people who are in here posting review scores and reviews and comments regarding a game they haven't even played in order to take a jab at it.

I have my share of gripes with this game but it's plenty fun to outweigh all of them.

I hadn't been collecting them much until I got my purple gauntlets and found one of the things required to level them up is Spinmetal!!

Aha! I will hold ontop them until I get something purple then.

Speaking of rares, whenever I get a blue drop, it's always low level for the area. For example, the Moon strike, level 12/13 greens were dropping, but I got a blue sniper in the final room that was level 7 (still had as good DPS as the 12/13 greens though). I've noticed this with all the blue drops I've had.

Right, take a deep breath. This is a discussion forum where people express their personal opinions about games, including talking about reviews. If opinions that differ from your own distress you so much perhaps you should just stick to dedicated fan sites where you can happily enjoy an echo chamber that will give you the comfort reinforcing your personal beliefs forevermore.

As far as I can tell, it's just that no one gives a fuck what Polygon or VN1X thinks.

Right, take a deep breath. This is a discussion forum where people express their personal opinions about games, including talking about reviews.

Is a bit weird that people refer to reviews as if that means anything though. Like a review is authoritative so backs up their opinion. Doesn't happen anywhere else really.

If I hated kit-kats I'd say why I hated them. I wouldn't link to someones review of a kit-kat and just quote a paragraph.

I can understand (but not agree with) someone who had never eaten a kit-kat doing that but that's more ridiculous than someone who had eaten a kit-kat doing that.

edit: want a kit-kat now.

Question about loot - it's been fairly thin on the ground for me so far. I picked up a bunch of it doing patrols on Venus and the Earth Strike, but otherwise it's been patchy.

I know there's the Golden chests I can find, but the green ones, I've only seen (I think) the one in the tutorial mission, and one in a Story on the Moon. Are they really rare?

The fantasy novel-type maps on the mission selection screen show areas that you don't visit in-game, so I would guess that the expansions will be more likely to open up new locations on the existing planets rather than provide entirely new ones.

I’d be interested to read a post-mortem on this game, if only to see what happened with the story. I struggle to believe that it’s the way it is on purpose. Like, last night I reached a mid-game location that appears to exist solely to host a lengthy cutscene, with full face-acting, mo-capped animation, and attempts at building character and story intrigue; this is in such stark contrast to the first half of the game, where you have very short cutscenes involving characters that are wearing helmets or masks, that it makes me suspect that the big mid-game cutscene is the remnant of something much grander and more elaborate.

The early cutscenes, with their complete lack of any facial animation, look like last minute replacements for stuff that Bungie had to scrap, especially given how much effort and resource they put into the story bits in the last few Halo games. Plus, there are all these name actors who seem to have been employed solely to say “What can I do for you, Guardian?” in the Tower (which is also weirdly elaborate given that it’s basically a fancy menu). All wild speculation of course – maybe Bungie just decided to change focus on the game. Joe Staten was the key driver behind the cinematic stuff, and he’s left Bungie to work at Microsoft, so maybe that explains it.

But there’s also the fact that the original Halo had a fairly bobbins and minimalist story - I was quite disappointed at the time, given that it was Bungie and their previous stab at an SF FPS was the Marathon trilogy. It wasn’t quite as bobbins and minimalist as the story in Destiny, but I remember a fair bit of criticism at the time for being so basic. Halo’s story was the result of Bungie having to rip out so much stuff to get it released, and this seems to be a bit of a running theme for Bungie – colossal ambition, tempered by immovable release dates. Maybe the same thing happened with Destiny.

This has been running through my mind as well. Going back to Marathon Bungie have always excelled in grand sci-fi narratives seeped in lore, but back then it was literally written down and delivered to the player, they never had to deal with direct storytelling. Over the course of five Halo games they still never really got much better at that stuff, the cutscenes were fairly rudimentary throughout the whole series (ironically enough 4 was better in this regard, outrageous mid-game info-splurge aside). If the quality of the cutscenes that remain here are indicative of their original story then I wouldn't be surprised if they had cut their losses, because they feel like a Perfect Dark Zero-esque relic of dated shonkiness in an unflattering contemporary dressing.

Question about loot - it's been fairly thin on the ground for me so far. I picked up a bunch of it doing patrols on Venus and the Earth Strike, but otherwise it's been patchy.

I know there's the Golden chests I can find, but the green ones, I've only seen (I think) the one in the tutorial mission, and one in a Story on the Moon. Are they really rare?

I've found a couple. They always seem to be tucked away hidden. There's one in the first Earth zone near to where you enter the building for the very first story mission. It's right at the top of one section of the outer wall. You need the double jump to get to it. I spotted another one on the moon tucked away under a ledge at the end of a mission.

The fantasy novel-type maps on the mission selection screen show areas that you don't visit in-game, so I would guess that the expansions will be more likely to open up new locations on the existing planets rather than provide entirely new ones.

I'm sure a load of pre-release stuff went on about planets and locations not in the game. Mercury, derelicts in the asteroid field etc.

Are there two different types of paid expansion to come? Smaller DLC and larger-scale expansions? I'm not used to this type of game. I'm so confused.