Destiny: FIN

Gorf King

It does seem like with the criticisms of this, I wonder if people are feeling like it's "a good game but I might get bored of it eventually" when people thought it might be a "brilliant game that I'll be playing for months and months".

Certainly it feels like that for me - that I am going to run out of content sooner than I expected to, when I booted up the game. I'll admit I knew pretty much zero about this game, so I didn't see any of the hype, but I also think that means I had some very specific expectations of it. I can't help comparing it a lot to PSO and WoW simply because they're the only other online games that I really got into.

I've never smoked but when I hear about ex smokers that haven't smoked in ages, but still have this low level of kind of fancying a cigarette? That's like me for WoW. I'm long since 'getting clean' but I always miss that good feeling I had. For me, this is like, I dunno, an e-cigarette to WoW.

Currently I've been a reluctant to do grouped missions - mainly because I've been hideously hungover this weekend and didn't feel like being polite or talking to anyone. But I can see how multi player is a lot like PSO. Maybe that's the problem? It's PSO, but people wanted WoW levels of loot, questing, and lore?

WoW was way more grindy, didn't have the same kind of combat, but levelling a character was a lot deeper, and social was easier to get into (probably because of keyboard anonymity).

I think I forgave a lot of really shit basic gameplay on WoW because the social and RPG aspects of it were fun. And exploring. But combat itself was kinda lame in and of itself. I've certainly thought this might feel a bit like shooty-WoW and I even picked a Titan because I felt like being a tank, but it's not at all like aggro / dps / heal and I'm having to adjust to my false expectations. So I think it's fine if people feel disappointed... as a side note: I was quite surprised when I saw Buzbybill's warlock in action - thinking that's the "spellcaster" to my melee tank, but really we've both got a melee, only his is purple. We've both got grenades. only his is purple. We both have a super AOE move. His is also Purple.

He's basically Prince.

Anyway, the thing is, I'm having to stop myself having 'proper' RPG like expecations of this, because the RPG elements are very light compared to other RPGs. Even offline ones. Similarly, WoW was light on gameplay (2, 2, 2, 2, push 3, 2 2 2). However this has really really excellent gameplay. So ultimately, it's a good thing. The gameplay and mechanics are so much fun, if it had the WoW levels of complexity, loot, stats, social...well I'd probably never detach my poopsock and after WoW I told myself I'd hung up that thing for good.

I am not far enough into judge due to lack of time I have to play it...

But loving the pick up and play simple nature to it... Feels like a Diablo fps and that works for me.

Understand I will get to stage where I need to team up and it will takes ages to kill a boss and I probably won't make it beyond that

Fun tho ;-)

Was immense fun jumping into patrol as soon as I could, sneaking past big foes fighting high level players to get to mission objectives...

Just been playing deathmatch on some Moon map where level 20+ people are jetting about in gun-mounted pike things gunning down everyone they drive past, while I'm attempting to defend myself on foot with a fucking handgun. This is such an unbalanced mess it's unbelievable.

Also, I can't figure out how to select which map you want to play, or at least deselect the maps you don't like.

I'm probably going to pick up a ps4 & Destiny bundle tomorrow. I've read a lot of the criticism and the reviews etc, but I enjoyed the few hours of the beta I got to play. With a young son I only get to play for maybe a hour a night if that, so I don't think I'll rinse through it all too quickly. Anyway.

Was planning to trade all my 360 stuff at Game, as they say that they price match to other trade in prices in the area. Do they have the best deal? Is the destiny game bundled a digital download?

I don't think you can.

I reckon well see a lot of customisation appear over the coming weeks, along with new story elements.

I read the barebones story was only to get people up to speed ( level 20 ) before they start rolling out chunks of story into the next year.

I don't know if it is unbalanced. It certainly has you asking questions every time you die, but instead of the ones Dave mentions from the guide it's, is it his higher level? His gear? His gun? Lag? Or was I just beaten fair and square? The fact those questions exist is enough, I think, and bungie just doesn't do enough to answer them.

At the moment it feels like PVP has been made for the endgame, when everyone's 20+ and knows all the classes and the playing field is more level. But they give you access to it at level 5. I've got a friend who loves Halo MP and has been playing crucible almost exclusively since he unlocked it and he's now madly overlevelled for the campaign. That's a problem too.

Well I've just hit level 20, total play time is 10h 47m according to the app (not sure if that is a good or a bad thing).

What I have noticed is that because I've got slightly addicted to co-op patrolling and the crucible I shot up the levels without tackling any story missions really and now even on heroic they are seeming pretty easy.

I can't help but think stomping through them so easily might detract from them so I'm considering starting a new character to play through the story (and before I do it with my lvl 20) to get the most out of it.

EDIT: Just saw Nate Dogg you've pretty much mentioned just this situation.

That's exactly what I'm planning, a 3rd character exclusively for the campaign.

Definitely agree that the Crucible should either have been held back until you finish the SP stuff, or not have it grant you XP (just crucible rep, gear, marks etc).. The balancing is just thrown way out otherwise.

OK then.

Solid weekend playing this with a cold. Cleared the Story, got to 20, etc. Have found some amazing highs - encountering the Vex and Cabal for the first time, seeing the Black Garden, the last boss battle, some of the creepier parts of the moon. Amazing visuals, gunplay, audio. Sure.

But now they are demanding that I grind. And grind and grind and grind some more. To make up for their lack of real content.

The first raid is level 26? They can do one.

its defo got something weirdly addictive even though I sound like ive done nothing but moan and grumble.

Maybe the vagueness and confusion is all part of the plan and Bungie are quietly smirking with the bomb drop with this raid.

Either that or were all off to get another beige helmet and kill 4 waves of seagul sounding walking sieves, for the 48th time

All I know is it's kept me up past 1am every night for the past week, resulting in me being a total useless wreck at work .. But atleast I've got a Lvl 17 warlock and a Lvl 12 Titan to show for it!

Same. For all its flaws, I'm playing this with every spare moment and at it's best I haven't had adventures like these since WoW launched. I think time and Bungie's long term plans for this game will be a lot kinder than the launch reviews suggest. This is a classic for me.

I can't help but think stomping through them so easily might detract from them so I'm considering starting a new character to play through the story (and before I do it with my lvl 20) to get the most out of it.

I wouldn't bother, it's woeful. Destiny's universe might have a lot of potential, but as far as actual story goes what's on display so far is badly paced, lacks any sense of suspense or direction and... well, it's just baffling poor all around, really.

That isn't to say the missions themselves are bad, although they do generally lack for variety, but if the game's offering a "cinematic experience" it's of the kind you'll find buried in the schedule of ITV3.

There's a lot of great stuff in Destiny, and I'm having a great time with it, but the ways in which it falls short are so incongruous with the rest of the package that it really leaves you scratching your head.

I don't know if it is unbalanced. It certainly has you asking questions every time you die, but instead of the ones Dave mentions from the guide it's, is it his higher level? His gear? His gun? Lag? Or was I just beaten fair and square? The fact those questions exist is enough, I think, and bungie just doesn't do enough to answer them.

At the moment it feels like PVP has been made for the endgame, when everyone's 20+ and knows all the classes and the playing field is more level. But they give you access to it at level 5. I've got a friend who loves Halo MP and has been playing crucible almost exclusively since he unlocked it and he's now madly overlevelled for the campaign. That's a problem too.

Yeah, it seems mad that playing the Crucible actually makes the campaign easier. Even after playing for a couple of hours, I could feel the difference coming back to the story missions, and there's no way of closing that gap between your level and the mission difficulty once you've started. Surprising that there's not more in the way of detailed difficulty modifiers for missions, either.

I suppose what I mean is being able to play the levels as they have been designed to be played.

It's easy to go back later and jetpack into a big situation like cyber-rambo once you are higher level, but you can't easily go back and feel vulnerable in the corner of the level very easily once you've surpassed it.

I have always planned to have at least a character of each class anyway so think a new story mode warlock may be in order. :)

I am a tad confused about the point of the second talent tree. Is it even worth spending effort and time on? It took me story completion and a boatload of grinding to max out the default tree (Voidwalker). I'll be buggered if I do that all again just for a sepia version of the spells I have now.

Whether rightly or wrongly I think the game has been left deliberately vague on purpose. I'm almost through Venus now and I've had an amazing time all the way, wanting to see what my next load of upgrades bring. It's definitely addictive stuff because the combat is so satisfying.

I can't say I've found a lack of content so far, in fact I'm enjoying exploring as much as when I first fired it up in the Beta. New areas with new enemies have kept things moving along nicely.

I just hope that once I reach level 20 and I start getting exotic gear, the content doesn't start to run out. Hopefully Bungie have it covered.

So, no complaints from me so far. It's everything I wanted it to be and I hope it finally reveals itself to be as amazing in the long run as Halo was.

I personally think it's a slow burner that'll unfold over time and that most people who are moaning about it are rushing their way through without really taking it all in.

I am a tad confused about the point of the second talent tree. Is it even worth spending effort and time on? It took me story completion and a boatload of grinding to max out the default tree (Voidwalker). I'll be buggered if I do that all again just for a sepia version of the spells I have now.

I use the other subclass in pve and small team-based pvp as the super helps with your teammates cooldowns while buffing you up. If you're mainly a lone wolf then stick with voidwalker.

I just hope that once I reach level 20 and I start getting exotic gear, the content doesn't start to run out. Hopefully Bungie have it covered.

haha! your hope will turn to despair I'm afraid. once you hit 20 you have a long long way to go before even getting a sniff at some exotic gear.

I use the other subclass in pve and small team-based pvp as the super helps with your teammates cooldowns while buffing you up. If you're mainly a lone wolf then stick with voidwalker.

That makes sense, never saw it is a separate spec. Thanks :)

Phogoth aside, you can put me in the still loving it camp. My initial impression of Venus was 'meh', but it boy does that location come good. Had an epic battle just out on patrol with some lvl 24ish guys, tense as fuck. And the actual story missions on Venus are superb (if you just forget there's a story).

Phogoth is an excellent fight I think. I force myself to be on "intercept the adds" duty which means I keep an eye out for the drop ship (always lands on the edge of the area with the nice view) and lay down the law (Nova Bomb and/or the grenade) as soon as the reinforcement land. This makes the battle so much more manageable.

Just ranked up to level 5 with the Cryptarch and got a level up reward in the mail - contents were 2 legendary items! OMG I thought....

Decrypted then and got a blue rocket launcher ( :unsure:) and.....

A Hunter pair of legendary boots - wtf, I don't even have a Hunter :lol: