Destiny: FIN

Gorf King

McCartney has always been an overrated hack, and this turgid shite proves it. How anyone could listen to that and think it's appropriate for this game is beyond me. It's sub 80's bond film levels of awful.

If only bungie could have spawned a level 24 Lennon...

Afternoon.

New to the forum but thought I'd post up as I'll be hanging around on Destiny a fair bit over the next few weeks and would be happy to help out on some strikes/raids/patrols/crucible teams.

PSN (PS4): FiveFootNinja

Level 19 (nearly 20) Hunter

I'm definitely on the 'loving it' side of the fence too at the moment. Only up to the second Moon mission in the story but have spent a fair bit of time patrolling or in PvP. It's certainly got a few flaws and I wish they would use the excellent level designs a bit more (e.g. jonamok and I spent a long time trekking through Venus last night to find some lovely looking areas but with nothing to actually do in them). All in all though it's been nice to scratch my Halo itch on the PS4.

It's interesting hearing the level vs. damage vs. armour issues people are having... I jumped into the Crucible first at level 3 to begin with so felt the pain initially having no special abilities, but since about level 5-8 I haven't found the balance too bad once you get used to the play style. I've generally found that a couple of shots with a scout rifle and a throwing knife kills pretty much everyone no matter their (or my) level, same with sniper rifle headshots.

My biggest bugbear has been the Titan jump-blast-smash thing... on some levels (and specifically in Control or Skirmish) it feels massively overpowered as there is so much cover you can't hope to get a shot at them before the special move has started by which point the entire team has died.

Apologies / Thanks to vezna who dropped in and helped me out on patrol on Venus.

Unfortunately for them I seemed to have wandered into part of the map where barely any enemies respawned which made collecting salvage annoying! Then a long trek back to find some things to kill and then when we finally completed it I had to shoot off for a bit to get some food.

I'm still loving it at the moment, but it's also painfully obvious there are lots of areas it could be improved, but I just find the core running around shooting things gameplay so enjoyable I don't care about them all that much at the moment.

I guess the concern with the game apparently showing substantial core weaknesses at an early stage is that this is meant to be a game that you will be grinding in for years to come. It's not an auspicious start for a consciously long-term kind of game in a series that's meant to span the next 10 years or so.

Anyway. How is the game when playing by yourself?

It's fine. I've played a good amount of the story missions solo. Adds some nice tension in the non re-spawning sections as you can't be revived.

So with bosses are you just required to grind on them for much longer because you're not doing 4x damage or what have you?

I'm still rather confused about the structure of the game really.

So with bosses are you just required to grind on them for much longer because you're not doing 4x damage or what have you?

It's like an RPG, some levels/baddies you're better going back to later. As a general rule if you are at or above the Story Level you'll be fine. Strike and Raid missions cannot be played alone.

The 'sponge' bosses are a bit of an anomaly. The rest of the game doesn't suggest that they're necessary, if you know what I mean.

I've been enjoying this much more after leveling up to 14 and getting to know the game's ways.

It's very strange how little is explained though; it hasn't helped with the game's impression.

Neither has the really basic and silly story.

Just completed the moon strike at the second attempt, it probably would have been down first time if my controller hadn't decided to fail for some reason as we were entering the final room. I would say the definite way to go is to keep moving and mop up the dropship mobs as quickly as possible, they stop spawning sooner or later and then the three of you should be able to slice up the boss fairly efficiently. Oh, and keep moving. Tasty chest piece reward too with more sniper and auto ammo capacity, but only level 10 which is a bit weird (level 14 now).

It's very strange how little is explained though; it hasn't helped with the game's impression.

Neither has the really basic and silly story.

I'd agree. When you first drop in to the tower and you are basically just some guy with a basic gun and nothing else, all the various cult/gang ranks and marks seem a bit crazy/unlinked and completely inaccessible.

It was only after getting past level 18 that it actually starts explaining how it works. Not the friendliest introduction to the game world, I just decided to ignore it all until it made sense. :)

I initially thought the story was inoffensive at worst and thankfully unobtrusive, that is until you get to the first 'proper' cutscene at Venus at which point it instantly descends into the biggest load of puerile, hokey, mumbo-jumbo bollocks I've ever seen. Flash Gordon is lower in camp than this the cast of characters they've pulled out for this.

I initially thought the story was inoffensive at worst and refreshingly unobtrusive, that is until you get to the first proper cutscene at Venus and meet the other 'characters' at which point it instantly descends into the biggest load of puerile, hokey, mumbo-jumbo bollocks I've ever seen. Fucking Flash Gordon was less camp than this cast.

That's the bit that did it for me too. Suddenly they try to develop about five characters at once.

And my Awoken hunter was treated as if she wasn't actually Awoken herself.

Shit and broken story. Don't care though. I've found that since venus began, the fun factor has been ramped up. Really enjoy the crunchiness of the robotic enemies.

OK I have to admit that I was very surprised and a bit disappointed that I finished the "rich" storyline last night. Especially as Lyrical Donut and I did it all without dying once and were being very silly by dancing where the corpses fell before I realised that there were other 'bosses'. I also didn't even realise he joined for a while cos it was stupid o'clock in the morning.

I'm still not level 20 yet which I'm about to rectify and I can't fault how much fun the game is to play but the story is bobbins.

I found myself in a random fireteam from here on Venus just now. I have no idea how I joined it, or even that I was in a fireteam for a few minutes, but it was good fun! We beat one public event together, and held or own on a second before it got a bit nuts.

Sorry for the hasty exit after that. If I realised what was going on I'd have stuck around for longer, but I'm an idiot. :P