Destiny: FIN

Gorf King

I did the Earth strike yesterday evening with some randoms, and while I realise that this is hardly an original thought, fucking hell that fallen walker thing takes a ridiculous amount of damage. Before anyone says "shoot it in the legs", we were shooting it in the legs, and it still seemed to take at least fifteen minutes of grinding to take it down.

The idea of the walker is pretty cool - balancing damaging the walker, avoiding its fire, and crowd-controlling the smaller foes - but none of it's very hard in itself, and it seems to go on for way, way too long. The other bosses I've done have felt a bit grindy as well, but this one takes the futuristic airbrushed space biscuit.

So played it a bit last night. Loads of friends online was nice, but I'm so far behind in levels already that I felt a bit isolated. Don't want to play with randoms.

Which left me dicking around on my own. Thought it was pretty dull. Not sure I can be bothered to persist with it really. Gaming is getting a bit like a long term relationship you stick with even though you're unhappy for me. Thought this might reignite the passion but it feels like a lot of hype and very little actual substance.

I've been trying to clear some bounties and one is to win 3 crucible matches. "How hard could that be," I thought, "just be on the winning side three times". 15-ish games later I have not once been on the winning side, and this statistical improbability isn't even because I'm that bad as I usually finish mid-way on my team. Utterly bizarre.

Also, I've got another bounty to do six patrol missions but I've no idea what or where they are.

I've been trying to clear some bounties and one is to win 3 crucible matches. "How hard could that be," I thought, "just be on the winning side three times". 15-ish games later I have not once been on the winning side, and this statistical improbability isn't even because I'm that bad as I usually finish mid-way on my team. Utterly bizarre.

Also, I've got another bounty to do six patrol missions but I've no idea what or where they are.

All of the planets have Patrol missions. Just move your cursor around the various missions until you find it - it'll say 'Patrol' in the description. Once you're there, you just need to locate beacons and finish the (brief) missions they ask you to do. It's rarely anything more than going to a particular place or killing a bunch of enemies and picking up what they drop.

I'm loving this. Just spent the last couple of hours mindlessly wondering around on Patrol levelling some of my guns and it never gets old. It's just on the right side of easy that it makes you feel like Dirty Harry, blasting aliens in the face. Great stuff.

Pvp is making me rage, one hit kill on me every single time while it takes several suprise headshots always to kill them. Fuck this.

I think the weapons where you charge them up (shock rifles?) are a bit OP in the PVP at the moment. Like you say I can unload half an auto clip into someone but they can seem to one shot me when they close in

Beginning to slightly regret picking Warlock as my class, because a high Recovery stat isn't actually that useful for PVP - your shield doesn't quite regenerate quick enough when you're getting fired upon. A higher Armour rating seems much more significant.

Recovery is very handy for SP, mind, so swings and roundabouts, I guess.

If anyone wants to add me on PS4, btw, I'm IgglePiggle. Looking for partners of 18 and above (ideally 20+) for post-10pm Strike playlists and similar on weeknights and the odd weekend.

I'm still very much on the loving it side of the fence. Patroling on Venus has upped the challenge nicely. I'm still yet to die from anything other than stupidity, but the more densely packed enemies and faster respawns on Venus have led to some properly close calls, scrambling desparately for cover like in vintage Halo. I fully understand the gripes, but I think I must just be cut out for repeated small scale firefights over big spectacle because I can't get enough of it. I've played pretty much every FPS under the sun and this is definitely scratching that itch.

The Attack and Defense stats are normalized in the Crucible - but your character's Armor, Agility, and Recovery stats aren't.

So if another character has gear that boosts their Armor stat, they'll survive more damage.

Hence the shields. ... :quote:

Yes so it's completely imbalanced until you're 20 with similar gear, it needs level brackets to work.

The Attack and Defense stats are normalized in the Crucible - but your character's Armor, Agility, and Recovery stats aren't.

So if another character has gear that boosts their Armor stat, they'll survive more damage.

Hence the shields. ... :quote:

I think this is, and has always been, my major gripe with destiny.

In Halo(s), the vast majority of my time was spent in Matchmaking - I spent over 400hrs in reach, which is crazy. So I'd hoped for a good multiplayer experience. However, they seem to have removed the good parts of Halo, and replaced them with this. What I, and I assume, many others liked about Halo was a combination of a level playing field, generous TTK, and a modicum of power weapon control which gave sense of focus to matches. Here we have no indication of whether we should or should not be taking on an opponent, and no time to really retreat if we do get out matched, either in skill, positioning, or level/gear. There is no consistency in expectation of what your opponent is capable of just down to what loot they have acquired.

I had hoped there would be a completely bare bones matchmaking option, with standard weapons and weapon pickups to appeal to the Halo crowd. I can kinda guarantee it would be the most popular playlist. Not to say it isn't fun in a way, but it is more frustrating, and hasn't got the legs that Halo had.

Yeah I'm a long time FPS player that considers Halo to be the pinnacle of its genre, subjective as that is (welcome back Smitty...), this is an absolute beast of a game.

I've been solo'ing mostly due to the lack of Boners playing but have still been loving the shit out of the combat and just enjoying not having to think too much about plot.

One question, how do you level your weapons up? And what benefits does this have over just buying new ones?

I played a bit of Crucible this morning, and levelled up to 12 from 11 when I started. But the last thing I did before I turned it off last night was go to the Quartermaster in the shuttle bay, and pick up some much better guns.

Played two rounds of Control. Was on the losing team both times, but they were close matches, and I topped the leaderboard for my team on the second game. I do find the 20-plus guys are still at significant advantage (as macosx above notes, everyone with a significant level gap has a significant kit superiority) but I think once you get to 10 plus, you can start to play.

Also, last night, all my games had multiple 20-plus dudes. This morning I was being matched with a selection of mostly mid-teens, so that made it fairer. But yeah, I don't know how it's matchmaking, and it seems a little broken.

I like Control and Salvage modes quite a lot.

If anyone wants to add me on PS4, btw, I'm IgglePiggle. Looking for partners of 18 and above (ideally 20+) for post-10pm Strike playlists and similar on weeknights and the odd weekend.

Love that the end of your post sounds like a little Destiny Dating advert.

Hi I'm BlueWilliam, I'm a level 12 Warlock who enjoys: shooting The Hive in the face, long walks around Old Russia, and dancing around trees in the Tower. :)

So I got to level 20 with a wimpy 'assist' but made up for it by immediately busting out the golden gun, killing a couple of dudes, and then winning the game with a flying knife throw to the head!

This game serves up some phenomenal moments. 6/10 lol...

Really warming to the auto fifle for rumble matches, and generally for close-to-mid range. Couple that with a sniper rifle and heavy machine gun and it's a well balanced set up. I still prefer scout rifles overall but it's nice not having to rely on accuracy as much.

It's ridiculous how broken the balance in pvp is, more testing showed at level 13 I had to hit a pvp lvl 26 Titan with a grenade, thrown knife, and six melee hits. He was just dancing. Then he punched me and I died instantly.

Absolute shit.

i wouldn't really go toe to toe with a high class titan as a hunter to be fair. Ranged combat works better.

Whatever you do, don't click on the credits option on the destination map. You can't back out of them, they take bloody ages and you have to listen to Paul McCartney's terrible song.

Of all the questionable decisions made in the planning of this game, that's the one that sticks out for me. McCartney has always been an overrated hack, and this turgid shite proves it. How anyone could listen to that and think it's appropriate for this game is beyond me. It's sub 80's bond film levels of awful. Awful, awful song.

I keep hearing that Slash song on the radio where destiny is mentioned all the time and thinking that's the kind of song that should be playing out this game, not the weak crooning of an old man trying too hard to stay relevant.

Of all the questionable decisions made in the planning of this game, that's the one that sticks out for me. McCartney has always been an overrated hack, and this turgid shite proves it. How anyone could listen to that and think it's appropriate for this game is beyond me. It's sub 80's bond film levels of awful. Awful, awful song.

I keep hearing that Slash song on the radio where destiny is mentioned all the time and thinking that's the kind of song that should be playing out this game, not the weak crooning of an old man trying too hard to stay relevant.

Criticise McCartneys output these days all you like, he's in his 70s after all. But he's never been a 'hack'.

All the peripheral stuff that people have moaned about, the rubbish story, the endless Dinklage scanning, the various complaints about loading and online interfaces, fair enough, I get all that.

But the shooting and the environments and the people from my friends list dropping into my games and the numbers of people online I could join and the fun I'm having and how accessible I'm finding it, I still think it's exactly what I was hoping it might be.

I just feel really ignorant and ill-informed when the likes of Kerraig tell me it's terrible. He's forgotten more about a single room in Halo than I ever knew about the whole series.

Maybe it's dumbed down for a casual audience and that's me? Maybe all those other Halo games I never played are just so much better and I'm a fool, I don't know. At least I'm a happy fool.

I totally see where you're coming from. When you're all the same level and just going on a hunt and a blast it is really good fun. The core gameplay is entertaining and it looks stunning. I think for me I just find it frustrating that the architecture behind the game is going to become prohibitive to easy play. Maybe i'm projecting too much. After 2 weeks of Borderlands 2 being out there was nobody I could play with where we both have a good time, one of us is always handicapped due to the levelling. It's a personal preference thing I guess, rather than it being a bad game. I just don't like games that are designed this way.