Destiny: FIN

Gorf King

I finally managed to connect to a few deathmatches and the experience was awful. :( Everything is way too fast for me to keep up with. I can barely differentiate between my own teammates and the enemy: by the time I've figured out it's an opponent, I'm dead. Only other FPS I've remotely enjoyed is Team Fortress 2 (loathe COD, Halo, Battlefield, dudebro shooters basically) which has loads of different, easily distinguishable classes and weapons (and, you know, BLUE TEAM versus RED TEAM - easy to spot) but this is just one indistinguishable blur for me. Any tips, or is it just not my thing?

Coop is really enjoyable though, when it's not disconnecting me.

Same for me. Too fast, can't tell between my guys and the bastard oppenent. Maybe I'm just too old.

I played and really enjoyed the first one. Perhaps not to the same extent as everybody else, but I played and replayed it a couple of times especially on co-op. I didn't really enjoy or finish the story in Halo 2, but I did like the multiplayer for a month or so until it got too hard. I only played a few levels of 3 and 4 and found them really boring. I'd had enough.

I don't usually play or enjoy shooters, but this reminds me why I liked the first Halo. It also reminded me why I liked playing PSO with people from Edge until some French teenagers mugged me online and deleted my character somehow and I never dared go back.

I feel like they've got something really right here, even if parts of the package are inexplicably sub-par.

Glad to see certian elements of the gaming community reacting to a reviewer giving this a whole 4 points less than a perfect score with the same tact and grace they took the suggestion there might be a problem with the representation of women in games.

Has the review been posted here?

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/destiny-review/1900-6415863/

Video version:

I played and really enjoyed the first one. Perhaps not to the same extent as everybody else

tumblr_lrslb8Mg9I1qm3d1x.gif

It also reminded me why I liked playing PSO with people from Edge until some French teenagers mugged me online and deleted my character somehow and I never dared go back.

I feel like they've got something really right here, even if parts of the package are inexplicably sub-par.

I really enjoyed PSO too, but the thing here is that right now I can only join in with friends who are a very close level to me, and it feels a too narrow band. I'm either powerless or I can destroy everything.

I do think it can continue to improve, it'll be interesting to see how they do it. Also with some big titles due before and after Christmas, it'll be interesting to see how many people stick with it.

Put me down in the 'love it' camp as well. And that's coming from someone who's favourite game of all time is Halo. Whether this will surpass it in time remains to be seen, but from what I've played so far it's fucking glorious.

Maybe the simplicity and derivative conservatism that's a turnoff for the jaded pros is part of why I'm finding it accessible and enjoyable.

I'm also in a good position because I have 428 rllmukers on my friends list, of which 100+ are usually online this week, so I've always been able to buddy up with someone of roughly the right level. I've sometimes found it a bit tricky to judge whether we're over or underpowered for a level, so the difficulty has been a bit uneven. Single player games are better balanced than this.

Thanks to Morrius, jimtendo-san, Ferine and Epcotman (you drew the short straw coming in at the end when we had pretty much given up!!) who joined me in tackling the weekly Strike. It ended in failure but it was a glorious failure!!

It was a pleasure chatting with you all and demonstrated that high level play on this amazing game requires not just communication but good planning. Hopefully when we attempt it again we will have our weapons set to Arc damage. That simple tweak of Bungie to take away the 30 second respawn timer changed the whole nature of the strike. (Well that and those pesky Level 22 enemies!!)

Apologies Banjaxed for leaving right at the death on the weekly event.

I think we had the route/ strategy all set on that final run, where once the waves came out in force we just bunkered down and just thinned them out.

I'll be around tomorrow if you still need to clear it, as I've found a couple of decent high level Arc snipers/ HMG to use.

Anyone posted this yet? Exotic weapon bounties (taken from Reddit) - At some point you may get a Vanguard Mentor Missive in the mail that you take to the bounty npc for these. Apparently it may have to do with fully maxing out one of your subclasses (such as Striker for Titans), and you get it in the mail. It may also be that it unlocks when you finish all the bounty leads you get from the postmaster as you level up. No-one knows for sure though.

That Scout Rifle and Shotgun though.

I'm also finding crucible matches Bastard hard. Think I may have to get a different rifle... The scout rifle is too slow and the maps too close quarters (from what I have seen so far).

How do you get a shield? Done full I pay against have a white energy bar before being to the red.

L

I'm also finding crucible matches Bastard hard. Think I may have to get a different rifle... The scout rifle is too slow and the maps too close quarters (from what I have seen so far).

How do you get a shield? Done full I pay against have a white energy bar before being to the red.

L

I just assumed I had a shield automatically, otherwise ... that'd be kind of unfair? Also assumed the weapons are all the same level, deal the same damage etc.

All the peripheral stuff that people have moaned about, the rubbish story, the endless Dinklage scanning, the various complaints about loading and online interfaces, fair enough, I get all that.

But the shooting and the environments and the people from my friends list dropping into my games and the numbers of people online I could join and the fun I'm having and how accessible I'm finding it, I still think it's exactly what I was hoping it might be.

I just feel really ignorant and ill-informed when the likes of Kerraig tell me it's terrible. He's forgotten more about a single room in Halo than I ever knew about the whole series.

Maybe it's dumbed down for a casual audience and that's me? Maybe all those other Halo games I never played are just so much better and I'm a fool, I don't know. At least I'm a happy fool.

It isn't quite as good at combat - Halo wise, nor is it quite as good as borderlands or diablo in terms of loot and mission structure. It's a weird mix of all of those games without quite hitting the best of any of them.

However, I just finished a strike mission on Earth with two randoms and had a blast. The guns feel great - the game works fairly well and overwhelms you with enemies (in a manageable way if you get some decent team mates and you are the right level range) and some fucking epic music kicks in while yellow numbers pop out of a big hand cannon.

feelsgoodman_display.png

6/10's be damned. I know the game is flawed- but I like it.

I can barely differentiate between my own teammates and the enemy: by the time I've figured out it's an opponent, I'm dead.

there's no harm in shooting first and asking questions later, and your team have tag things over their heads i think. but yeah i agree it should be more obvious like blue v red (nice and bright like halo 3).

I've been able to get a massive battle to happen between the Fallen and the Hive in Skywatch by just dicking around and trying unlock stuff for my guns. Normally in this area you just get the usual enemy respawns, but if no other players are around and you can get them shooting each other, each side will start sending out stronger and stronger units. It was getting really intense until some lower level guardians turned up, then all the wizards, knights and captains buggered off!

I'm in two minds about Destiny. Bits of it I unreservedly love - like exploring the world, the setting and the tone in general, the combat (for the most part), the hunger for more weapons and loot - and bits of it I'm less keen on. I think the main problem for me is that the flaws cut right across the stuff I really liked about Bungie's previous games. Like, I love the idea of an open world game in the style of Halo, but the speed that the enemies regenerate at means that I can never really relax and explore an area I've just cleared out. The combat is head-poppingly satisfying as well, but the balancing means that I've continually felt slightly over-levelled when playing alone, so that I only occasionally get those knife-edge skirmishes you used to get all the time in Halo. Even with the difficulty pumped up to hard, I still feel that I can headshot my way through pretty much anything.

The thing is, those two flaws are more like side-effects of the open world stuff, so it's not so much errors that Bungie have made so much as compromises they've made in fusing the Halo style with an MMO. Maybe they could have balanced the game more to my liking, but I would have thought balancing a game of this scale is probably not that far off balancing a medium-sized economy, so anything that improved things for solo nerds might well fuck stuff up for the group as a whole.

My only real complaint with the game so far (I'm about halfway through the Moon) is that the combat seems to be almost exclusively based on popping off heads. I understand that changes a bit later, and the head-popping is super satisfying in the classic Bungie style, but man, I could do with an enemy or two where you have to, I dunno, shoot them in the armpit or something.

So Poet came over tonight, and we spent a good chunk of the evening playing story missions on the Moon, and Salvage Crucible matches.

The sorry is obviously awful, and awfully acted throughout. And I have issues in Crucible with everyone looking alike, so recognition of the enemy is a problem.

But the levelling out of damage that is supposed to happen on the Crucible seems ineffective. It's definitely much harder for a level 8 guy to kill a level 22 guy than vice versa.

Having said all that, we had loads of fun on it tonight, and got up to mid-level 11. Getting some decent unlocks now, and starting to understand how to play.

That Moon mission where you

end up with a sword

is cool.

Apologies Banjaxed for leaving right at the death on the weekly event.I think we had the route/ strategy all set on that final run, where once the waves came out in force we just bunkered down and just thinned them out.I'll be around tomorrow if you still need to clear it, as I've found a couple of decent high level Arc snipers/ HMG to use.

Sounds good. Have my equipment sorted too. Played the Strike playlist with Morrius tonight but we decided to save the weekly Strike until tomorrow. (need to be fresh to attempt it again!!) I should be on around 10ish for a while and then after 4. Look forward to trying it again.

Graham_S makes a good point, my usual friends couldn't join in on certain strike missions because of the level difference.

So this raid lark is going to be a tough one as you have to find 5 friends who i presume will have to be level 20. I wonder how its going to work as IGN said some are 6 hours long? Can you save, are there checkpoints?

I feel they might have over complicated the level up stuff after 20, this whole light lark is a bit confusing and certain strikes after the cap have to have maxed out light gear and weapons. Also the price of the vendor gear at 20 is insane. Ive played an obscene amount since launch and even at 20 still cant buy anything.

Its hard not to come off negative, but for all the shortcomings and criticisms I cant stop playing it and really enjoy it. And really do hope as it develops the game will truly show itself.

I've capped twenty yesterday and pushed on into some rumble and skirmish. Considering there's a lot of Destiny I feel is half-baked and lacking there's definitely something that is keeping me playing it and for me it's just the feel of shooting things, yellow numbers and head shots. Even dropping back down to Russia there's still fun to be had on the mobs which scale to some degree and still give good xp.

What I find strange about the game is obviously a huge amount of time and resources has been spent on the world building. Some of the environments and landscapes are absolutely beautiful, with loads of little details. But it's strangely all underused. You just rattle past stuff in the closed environments and even outside to get to the next white waymarker. There's nothing to interact with, no fauna to collect and more importantly no story to flesh out.

How much better to create a history for the places you visit by visiting them rather than the odd flat interjection by Dinklage. I know K you said you liked exploring and that the mobs got in your way of doing it. If you took them out, the world would be dead. A beautiful, barren Foss painting. I'm not advocating a Rare style collectathon, but just something.

As it is, I feel Destiny delivers in the mechanics and rewards of a good shooter but fails to match in design ambition the heights it reaches in its art.

Maybe that's enough?

I don't know if I'll click with the MP and the strikes so far are fun but just tests of attrition and toilet breaks, hopefully the quest for loot will be a sufficient pull to keep me playing.

I'm playing this Solo and, now I finally seem to have everything in place (super, heavy weapon, grenade perk, melee perk) the combat options are opening up and I'm really enjoying it.

Whereas at the start it was all a bit put put put from range whittling down health bars, now i'm running in, doing a double jump with an electric slam dunk on the end, cyber punching the next poor sod with an electric fist, chewing up enemies with a heavy machine gun and mopping up the rest with a nice gold shotgun.

The moon levels look and sound spectacular and to be honest it's like a nice chill out game, punctuated with heavy violence.

I like it enough I want to see all the planets and the story (hahaha) to the end.

To be honest, the poor storytelling does not surprise me one bit. Always thought the Halo games plots were absolutely shit with terrible writing, when the best character you've got is a carbon copy of Apone from Aliens, things are in trouble. They never made any goddamn sense either.

I'm so disappointed the game isn't more mmo , I thought we'd be all meeting up in a some space city with the entire of muk wandering around pushing out and exploring the borders en masse, protecting villages and picking up dynamic quests as you, it's such a shame it's just instanced levels devoid of characters, bring on Borderlands the pre-sequel to fill that gap.

I think I was expecting Planetside scale battles.

However the combat is still absolutely thrilling and I can't say I'm not still loving it.

I'm reallynlookingvforward to how this develops over time.

I had a bit more play on the moon, going from beacon to beacon killing manz and exploring. Really love this location. Best bit was when some kind of event happened and Dinklage told me to get over to a part of the map and hold it. I rushed over to find a lone Gaurdian standing in a circle by some sort of downed satellite thing, as I joined them drop ships started appearing and enemies jumped down for some shooty fun. Was pretty intense with the two of us back to back defending the circle. We three gold starred it and the best bit was when it was all over I did the cheese bow gesture and they saluted. So much was communicated in those simple movements and I was surprised at how well that element can work when used at the right time.

Also just love being on the moon.

post-12949-0-29738000-1410683210_thumb.j

I'm so disappointed the game isn't more mmo , I thought we'd be all meeting up in a some space city with the entire of muk wandering around pushing out and exploring the borders en masse, protecting villages and picking up dynamic quests as you

Yeah, I think Jeff Gerstmann (Giantbomb) put it perfectly when he said it feels like an MMO designed by people who don't know how MMO's work.