Destiny: FIN

Gorf King

Revieed by Arthur "Sim City" Gies.

That review is the combined views of two different people, one of whom is Gies. He may have a bad rep but I think both he and the other guy give good explanations why the game bored them.

I read a mini review on the AV Club the other day which came to the same conclusion: poorly told story and boring game play lacking in variety.

It's not very encouraging really.

Also Polygon's SimCity review was by then-features ed Russ Pitts. Still Gies' signoff I suppose.

So conflicted about this game. I love it while I'm playing it, but when I stop and think about it it's absolutely riddled with problems, and specific problems that either Bungie or Activision (well, Blizzard mostly, but Activision too) should know enough about to have seen coming and dealt with. It's such a shame, and I don't think time-limited content and expansions is going to fix it, it's too fundamental for that.

Those strikes...they are kind of stupid bullet sponges but a whole lot of fun. Always seem so chaotic and a win is usually by the skin of your teeth, but I'm enjoying them a lot.

I just got notification that Strike duty list (?) is available to me, I'm lvl 17, whats that about? I don't see any options in menus anywhere.

And I will be around later if anyone wants to team up. Or I'll just gatecrash your fireteams.

Mike Bithell, "the chap who made Thomas Was Alone", wrote a blog post about the things that Destiny's menus and user interface do well:

http://mikebithell.tumblr.com/post/97214168242/what-to-steal-from-destinys-ui

Good read. He's a clever, articulate bloke. And I totally agree with his views on Bungie's UI choices - even the implementation of the cursor (though I could live with it being 20% faster.)

@wretcherd Nobody joins anyone as a group in the Tower, they just kick footballs around, dance and collect their rewards after a mission has ended.

It's Bungie's fault really though. Literally all you can do is send someone in the Tower an invite to join your group but with no context as to what you actually want to do.

Finished the main story and I really have no idea what was going on. Makes Halo look like Breaking Bad in comparison.

That aside, the combat really is just sublime. And I have more Strike missions and team deathmatch to keep me occupied (as well as constant Bungie updates). I can see this occupying my time for many, many months.

All the peripheral stuff that people have moaned about, the rubbish story, the endless Dinklage scanning, the various complaints about loading and online interfaces, fair enough, I get all that.

But the shooting and the environments and the people from my friends list dropping into my games and the numbers of people online I could join and the fun I'm having and how accessible I'm finding it, I still think it's exactly what I was hoping it might be.

I just feel really ignorant and ill-informed when the likes of Kerraig tell me it's terrible. He's forgotten more about a single room in Halo than I ever knew about the whole series.

Maybe it's dumbed down for a casual audience and that's me? Maybe all those other Halo games I never played are just so much better and I'm a fool, I don't know. At least I'm a happy fool.

I finally managed to connect to a few deathmatches and the experience was awful. :( Everything is way too fast for me to keep up with. I can barely differentiate between my own teammates and the enemy: by the time I've figured out it's an opponent, I'm dead. Only other FPS I've remotely enjoyed is Team Fortress 2 (loathe COD, Halo, Battlefield, dudebro shooters basically) which has loads of different, easily distinguishable classes and weapons (and, you know, BLUE TEAM versus RED TEAM - easy to spot) but this is just one indistinguishable blur for me. Any tips, or is it just not my thing?

Coop is really enjoyable though, when it's not disconnecting me.

What's your point?

I don't really understand why you're puzzled and/or bothered by Kerraig having a different opinion to you. It's terrible to Kerraig.

How could you be a 'fool' for having a different subjective experience to someone else? I just found your post rather strange.

My point is that I'm really enjoying myself. I get some of the complaints about how Thing X could be better, but the actual core of the game just seems really enjoyable to me, and just what I'd imagine fans of this sort of thing would want. But some of the biggest fans of this sort of thing say it's rubbish, which makes me think I just don't know what I'm talking about. Trying not to let that spoil my own fun.

So I got an Xbox One and destiny. Gamertag is CatOmar.

What really happened is buzbybill allows me play on his Xbox One. Tonight he's gone out for the evening woo. I'm a tauren druid on draenor. LF games fun maybe more????

Glad you're enjoying it buddy.

Race you to the level cap... Which is entirely unfair as I have monopolised the TV since I got back.

Loving the game and finally got a chance to play online today. Hits the right notes of loot, role playing and co-op for me. And every faith that Bungie will build on this.

My point is that I'm really enjoying myself. I get some of the complaints about how Thing X could be better, but the actual core of the game just seems really enjoyable to me, and just what I'd imagine fans of this sort of thing would want. But some of the biggest fans of this sort of thing say it's rubbish, which makes me think I just don't know what I'm talking about. Trying not to let that spoil my own fun.

Your subjective experience is what you're talking about, so it's impossible for you not to know what you're talking about. If the question is 'why' then reflect on the fact that these people probably play far more of these kinds of games (shooters, online, MP etc) for starters. Kerraig has spent an awful lot of time playing shooters broadly speaking and much more time playing online MP shooters specifically.

Have you really never played a Halo game, by the way?

Leaving aside all the other games people like Kerraig will have played, when you're talking about a game like Halo that is at the pinnacle of its genre and sets the standard, then someone like yourself (apparently) lacking experience of such a game is going to possibly have a different perspective on what's 'good' in this context.

I think the core gameplay is sublime and I couldn't give a shit about the story. Whenever bungie do narritive it's a fucking scarlet affair so I'm happy that it's such a small part of the game.

Just give me mans to shoot. The blog post by rab that's been posted before nails it for me.

As a regular FPS player I'd say the gun play feels nothing special at all, serviceable at best. The whole community feel of playing with friends which people seem to find a revelation, I've done plenty before, either co-op in Halo locally, or when I play with others in Battlefield, where it's a much more tactical affair, having to choose complimentary classes, weapons, gadgets and vehicles, plus all the chat and 'bants' that comes with it. In this, just blasting away at weak spots isn't blowing my skirt up.

I'm finding it fine, it's good, the worlds look nice, but really the hype for this was just too much. If you aren't someone who's used to a social game like this (And from the amount of people who've posted here asking if you have to play online etc, I'm guessing many are fairly new to something like this), this it's probably as cool as the first time I found friends to squad up with online. But the core game play and gun play doesn't feel cutting edge to me, sorry.