Destiny: FIN

Gorf King

Farking ell. Did the moon strike with mansizerooster and a higher level guy, I died 35 times, took forever. Got there in the end. I'm not very good, and it doesn't let you cower in the start room as it spawns a big purple spinny bastard to spike you if you try. The other guys must have figured it out in the end while I tried to die a bit less often. I'm not really used to games where you're not sure if it's even possible for you to finish a mission as maybe you're under levelled or have the wrong gear or in my case are a bit too rubbish. You can't really drop out as you don't want to let down the people who've got you that far, but I really thought it wasn't going to happen for us.

Sorry I was on mute, I don't always have the living room to myself.

A few tips for the Moon Strike:

The boss's weak point is a pustule on their torso, just below the neck.

You can whittle the boss down whilst largely ignoring the other enemies if your team spreads out and keep circling around its 'enclosure', taking pot shots when it's targeting another player with its eye lasers; naturally you should take cover if it's blasting at you. The biggest threat is the explosive bolts fired by the Wizards and Knights, but they're easy enough to outrun if you keep moving.

If all else fails, the additional enemies do seem to stop spawning if you want to focus on clearing them out. Presumably some more will appear if everyone's guns are close to running dry, but for the most part you're left to take out the boss in peace.

Now I can't connect to the game at all. Error code marionberry. So, because of some obscure connection problem, possibly to do with portforwarding or NAT shit, I cannot play the game I paid for, not even in single player. What a wonderful always online future we have in store.

The threadbare plot and activate Dinklebot>wait nature of the missions wouldn't be so much of a chore if there was more A>B combat/traversal, rather than being thrown into a room and being rushed from all sides by suicidal enemies. This repetitive, stale conclusion to almost every level is really dated and it's just straight up weird that Bungievision considered this a satisfying way to close out a level.

The patrol missions are great and deserve to be developed with a more random element to the encounters to make the world feel less stiff and more unpredictable. Throw some danger and tension in there. The respawning enemies in the patrol levels are understandable and necessary, but at least randomise their placement and enemy type a bit. Maybe randomly flood the earth level by a tidal wave, have a volcano erupting, just some kind of environmental impact that totally changed the way you play and introduced new gear/weapons etc. I'd gladly see this side of the game developed like an open world horde mode and just abandon the campaign completely as that side of the game is clearly on a hiding to nowhere.

There must be a really interesting/depressing story about how and why the campaign ended up as it did. Some of the meetings as the game got nearer to launch were most likely the stuff of nightmares.

I really hope that Bungie can turn this around and free the clearly brilliant core of the game from the cruft that's dragging it down. The 6/10 reviews are harsh and hopefully premature. We'll see.

Did the moon strike earlier with a mate and a random and the random quit on the boss. Meaning we died lots. Second attempt with a communicative friend meant we owned him and I got the bounty for not dying on a strike. So much fun. Oh and he's easier if you tske out all the waves first think there 3 ships that drop the wizards and knights then it's just him left. Much easier. Nearly 20 now.

I'm having a lousy time in the MP with my Hunter and invariably come near bottom.

So...all weapons are normalised and do the same damage, but an auto rifle totally outguns a handcannon with rate of fire yeah.

How come some players have a white shield bar as well as health, by the time i've whittled the shield down, they've killed me.

Abilities - Titan slam ability is instadeath for me yet my hunters knife ability only takes a percentage off.

I can put loads of yellow shots into a player, yet he shoots once and I die. Cant all be headshots.

To qualify this moaning, i'm pretty good at Titanfall and I never swear at the screen as it all feels fair,

this though has me constantly shouting "that's bullshit", then pressing 'x'

This could almost be me posting with how i feel about the crucible. Running Hunter class as well.

Enjoyed the PvP in the beta with Titan.

It might be just take tme to get into a rhythm.

Biblical fight in Old Russia earlier that must have lasted a half hour. Just swarms of Fallen / Hive / Acolyte twats trying to take me out. Thank FUCK for my sexy Crucible armour.

Had a laugh at the level fives just watching the carnage from a distance and not helping a brother out. The fuckers.

I did the Moon strike with randoms yesterday, didn't have any comms unfortunately which was frustrating when it came to the final boss.

I assume you are meant to get into the main summoning chamber and not just wait in the doorway area? I rushed in a few times but teammates insisted on hanging back which just kept bottle-necking Knights and Wizards including those Shriekers that spawn behind you.

Must've taken us about 40 mins that section

The first time I did the moon strike I died something like 35 times and we all stayed in the first room - killed adds and shrieker then nuked boss when we could. I've heard going to this room basically causes mobs to spawn infinitely.

Best way is to get straight into the main room, ignore boss until all mobs dead then nuke boss while circling the room around the pillars. Weak spot is his stomach iirc. The adds will stop spawning after a while.

Also I can understand the negative reviews for this even though I love it. The story is ok but presented very badly, no character development and the world is incredibly bland. But when actually in combat it's just brilliant, strikes are my fave. I love levelling and looting and improving gear and the game is great that. I'm doing *ok* at PvP but not really enjoying it, very frustrating getting nuked before I can react, I guess it's my age though :)

Oh my god you are so right. Randonly generated baddie placements, a mixture of different AI levels in one room as well as a good mix of jackals grunts and elites. oh my god it would be perfect. I'd still be playing it in 5 years time.

I cant help but feel that in 3 months time none of us will be playing this.

How depressing that in 2006 this was the pinnacle of gaming nirvana for me, and then 8 years later we're still falling waaaaay short

The first time I did the moon strike I died something like 35 times and we all stayed in the first room - killed adds and shrieker then nuked boss when we could. I've heard going to this room basically causes mobs to spawn infinitely.

Best way is to get straight into the main room, ignore boss until all mobs dead then nuke boss while circling the room around the pillars. Weak spot is his stomach iirc. The adds will stop spawning after a while.

I was going great, until my fireteam pussied out at the last hurdle and left me to run around for ten minutes, before dying horribly.

The threadbare plot and activate Dinklebot>wait nature of the missions wouldn't be so much of a chore if there was more A>B combat/traversal, rather than being thrown into a room and being rushed from all sides by suicidal enemies. This repetitive, stale conclusion to almost every level is really dated and it's just straight up weird that Bungievision considered this a satisfying way to close out a level.

The patrol missions are great and deserve to be developed with a more random element to the encounters to make the world feel less stiff and more unpredictable. Throw some danger and tension in there. The respawning enemies in the patrol levels are understandable and necessary, but at least randomise their placement and enemy type a bit. Maybe randomly flood the earth level by a tidal wave, have a volcano erupting, just some kind of environmental impact that totally changed the way you play and introduced new gear/weapons etc. I'd gladly see this side of the game developed like an open world horde mode and just abandon the campaign completely as that side of the game is clearly on a hiding to nowhere.

There must be a really interesting/depressing story about how and why the campaign ended up as it did. Some of the meetings as the game got nearer to launch were most likely the stuff of nightmares.

I really hope that Bungie can turn this around and free the clearly brilliant core of the game from the cruft that's dragging it down. The 6/10 reviews are harsh and hopefully premature. We'll see.

You've torn the game apart and then said that the 6/10 reviews are harsh...

I'm loving this so much.

The gunplay mixed with the special abilities feels so good and the weapons feel and sound great. I'm still only on Earth as well. Spent the afternoon teamed up with a mate just doing a bunch of patrol missions and although it was just a bunch of A to B missions involving firefights it just never got boring. Wish there was a bit more loot though, I've only come across 2 loot chests in about 5/6 hours of play. Is it quite rare or am I missing something?

I can totally see this keeping me well occupied for quite a while, even in its current form.

The loot is bollocks in this game. That's my only proper complaint.

Nothing more annoying than fighting an end guy for 30mins only to get two pieces of dick hair or whatever it is you collect for no real reason.

And I'd like more visual differences between the weapons and armour because without that you're just collecting the same thing that you already have but with a slightly higher number.

You've torn the game apart and then said that the 6/10 reviews are harsh...

I did say that the core of the game is brilliant and that the patrol/horde stuff is great and deserves to be expanded - patrol is easily the highlight and more than justifies scores above 6/10. Didn't mean to sound overly harsh on the game because there's clearly a lot to love in there. I'll most likely continue with it, despite its flaws.

I'm loving being on all the planets, and I'm nearing the end. It's so much like Halo, and I've had some hard battles on Mars. I'm upto level 18 now, and I'm getting some powerful weapons/upgrades etc..

The only bit that sucks is the death matches, I always suck on them.

Hmm. I have three gripes about this, level 13 or so now.

1 given that the general structure of the game is so damn similar to Diablo I wish the network options were as easy to adjust on the fly and the effect of increasing / decreasing party size as transparent on enemy difficulty.

2 the lore is accessible only through another device. I know someone posted earlier a link to a blog where the guy described in detail how he felt it could be accommodated within the overall design and I would agree with that.

3 I feel the numbers of players per area could be higher; I've abandoned the bounty concerning gold standard in public events partly because they are so few in number but also because the necessary critical mass of players simply hasn't been available. In this respect at least I felt Defiance did a better job.

Having said that, I still dig the game, combat is so damn sweet and I am happy to patiently progress.

Thanks to Morrius, jimtendo-san, Ferine and Epcotman (you drew the short straw coming in at the end when we had pretty much given up!!) who joined me in tackling the weekly Strike. It ended in failure but it was a glorious failure!!

It was a pleasure chatting with you all and demonstrated that high level play on this amazing game requires not just communication but good planning. Hopefully when we attempt it again we will have our weapons set to Arc damage. That simple tweak of Bungie to take away the 30 second respawn timer changed the whole nature of the strike. (Well that and those pesky Level 22 enemies!!)