IGNORED

Destiny: FIN

Gorf King

Sorry to piss on your chips (if you're thinking you can set the above weapon restrictions as options), but there aren't any weapon modifiers in custom games. You can, of course, just tell people what to use and not to use, but you can't enforce it. That might be what you meant anyway, but just in case anyone doesn't know the actual options available, they are:

• Game type
  • Map
  • Score limit
  • Time limit
  • Light level (enabled/disabled)
  • Time of day (morning/afternoon/night)
  • Vehicles (enabled/disabled - only on maps that currently support vehicles) 

If you could set attack-type options, I'd obviously be going for Benny Hell, my melee+super-only setup. But alas, no.

18 hours ago, Klaark said:

I'm up to 301 Light now, but have never had the pleasure of doing a Raid, apart from one aborted attempt with some people on here and a few ringers about 8 months ago. I can dedicate the odd weekday evening to it (PS4) if people are keen. I've not attempted a Nightfall Strike, either. Help.

I'd up for this. I've only ever done Vault of Glass and even then only a couple of times or so. I've never done Crota.

It's been a good while since I played but I've had a hankering to get back to it recently so would be up for jumping on and helping out. 

5 hours ago, Billy Brown said:

I'd up for this. I've only ever done Vault of Glass and even then only a couple of times or so. I've never done Crota.

It's been a good while since I played but I've had a hankering to get back to it recently so would be up for jumping on and helping out. 

Good stuff. Anyone else keen? I don't know how long these things take, so I wouldn't know how many evenings we'd need to put aside to play through it.

6 hours ago, LiMuBai said:

So what custom games are people going to make?

Sword hilts only - Only swords allowed, and no heavy ammo drops. Although that might be too similar to a melee only game.

Supers only - no weapons, melees, or nades. Everyone just runs around avoiding people with supers, collecting orbs until their super is ready to unleash

Snipers only

Rockets only

Pistols only

1v1 Elimination tournaments

6v6 Elimination!!

Well you have obvious things like Hide and seek and our clan are gonna do some leaderboard rumble but how could you miss the potential game changing mode of all time, I mean this if it works could end up being spin off game on its own and possibly bring world peace..

Nova bomb tennis.

drops the mike...

I'm getting back into this after not playing for 12+ months. Started a new character (Warlock) and enjoying the game for the most part, but am a bit overwhelmed with all the stuff -upgrades, collectibles, weapons, clothing, there's mountains of items already in my inventory.

Anyone know of a quick guide on the best way to deal with the inventory management part, please? What should I be looking for and upgrading, and how to minimise time spent in menus. Thanks for any pointers.

Preordered RoI on the PS Store today. Even though I haven't been taking an interest in new games due to my current pile of shame, my brother and I do a lot of team stuff and I know he'll be bugging me to get this.

Also pre-order bonuses. :blush:

24 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I'm getting back into this after not playing for 12+ months. Started a new character (Warlock) and enjoying the game for the most part, but am a bit overwhelmed with all the stuff -upgrades, collectibles, weapons, clothing, there's mountains of items already in my inventory.

Anyone know of a quick guide on the best way to deal with the inventory management part, please? What should I be looking for and upgrading, and how to minimise time spent in menus. Thanks for any pointers.

If you have more than one character, a 3rd party inventory manager like DIM (a Chrome plugin) or Ishtar Commander (an iOS / Android app) is more or less essential. As to the bigger issue of what you should keep/upgrade, that's hard to answer properly as a general question. What choices are you considering?

This is quite interesting:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/08/24/what-s-going-on-in-destiny-s-story-2016-edition.aspx

A Bungie-approved summary of the story and lore of Destiny. It's not perfect - it's very scant on the Vault of Glass, which is by far the most interesting bit of the story of base Destiny - but it's fascinating to see the story of, say, House of Wolves laid out. It actually seems quite coherent told like this, rather than in the form of the gibberish you ignore while impatiently waiting to start a mission. 

Does ROI have much new story? It sounded initially like it was going to explain more about the iron lords, but I'd love a bit of ongoing story. What happened to the traveller after I woke it up at the end of the base game? All the DLC stories are "a bad alien is coming", but it seems a bit like they've forgotten all the traveller/darkness stuff.

It’s odd how the lore and backstory around the Traveller and the Darkness is so vague, given that they’re the supposed focus of the game. Even with all the updates that flesh out most of the other aspects of the universe, they’ve steered clear of saying much about the Traveller, except for the fact that the Fallen were once its beneficiaries. You never even see what the Darkness is, or how it manifests itself; it seems to exist in worm form, but even that was only added in The Taken King.

It’d be interesting to know whether the original 2013 version of Destiny was going to be more forthcoming on this sort of thing. As it is, it’s like the original Halo never explaining what Halo actually is, and never letting you go there.

What we know of the original story certainly seemed more explicit, including the revelation that the Traveller was the bad guy - which is kind of a super-obvious twist - but it was torn to shreds quite late on in development. If you watch the Bungie Twitch stream about sound design (the best one, imo: https://www.twitch.tv/bungie/v/53587434) you'll get an idea of how, for example, Mara Sov was completely rewritten, and also a sense of how her character has got a future planned out across the series, albeit one that's subject to change. I get the sense from this and other things that the 'rewrite' was mostly about them slowing the story down so it evolved over time; so it didn't give too much away in vanilla. (You could call this analogous to taking game content out of vanilla too.)

I think - or like to think - that Bungie intend to do the full storyline over the whole series of Destiny games rather than make one story (Destiny 1) and then some sequels, and I reckon the Traveller's true nature won't be revealed until somewhere near the end of that cycle. I think Bungie are maybe fearful of mistakes they made with Halo, where basically after CE the story was concluded perfectly well and everything else just piled unnecessary stuff on top because there was nowhere left to go from there.

Or maybe they just have no idea what they're doing.

44 minutes ago, Broker said:

Does ROI have much new story? It sounded initially like it was going to explain more about the iron lords, but I'd love a bit of ongoing story. What happened to the traveller after I woke it up at the end of the base game? All the DLC stories are "a bad alien is coming"

Grimoire mate. The story's in the grimoire, like it or loathe it. That's where the stuff in the link K posted is basically lifted from. TTK is definitely not just 'a bad alien is coming.' I mean, if you just watch the trailers it is. But the Books of Sorrow tell a very different, and far more interesting, story. I haven't got a problem with the grimoire-as-full-story approach myself, as long as the little snippets in FMV and in-game dialogue are dramatic enough to frame the immediate focal points as you go along (and I think they were in TTK). Better that than tons of lengthy FMV exposition on backstory. Then you unearth the detail from all sorts of different perspectives as you hoover up grimoire later. My big issue with that approach is that there should be somewhere in-game where you can read all that stuff.

10 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

What we know of the original story certainly seemed more explicit, including the revelation that the Traveller was the bad guy - which is kind of a super-obvious twist - but it was torn to shreds quite late on in development. If you watch the Bungie Twitch stream about sound design (the best one, imo: https://www.twitch.tv/bungie/v/53587434) you'll get an idea of how, for example, Mara Sov was completely rewritten, and also a sense of how her character has got a future planned out across the series, albeit one that's subject to change. I get the sense from this and other things that the 'rewrite' was mostly about them slowing the story down so it evolved over time; so it didn't give too much away in vanilla. (You could call this analogous to taking game content out of vanilla too.)

I think - or like to think - that Bungie intend to do the full storyline over the whole series of Destiny games rather than make one story (Destiny 1) and then some sequels, and I reckon the Traveller's true nature won't be revealed until somewhere near the end of that cycle. I think Bungie are maybe fearful of mistakes they made with Halo, where basically after CE the story was concluded perfectly well and everything else just piled unnecessary stuff on top because there was nowhere left to go from there.

Or maybe they just have no idea what they're doing.

Where did the revelation that the Traveller is evil come from? I remember there being a lot of speculation on the subject, all of it apparently deriving from one guy who heard a Fallen captain saying "It's the darkness!" when he saw you, which nobody else managed to replicate, but I didn't think anything had come to light confirming it (or at least, anything that came from a Bungie or ex-Bungie employee).

1 hour ago, K said:

Where did the revelation that the Traveller is evil come from? I remember there being a lot of speculation on the subject, all of it apparently deriving from one guy who heard a Fallen captain saying "It's the darkness!" when he saw you, which nobody else managed to replicate, but I didn't think anything had come to light confirming it (or at least, anything that came from a Bungie or ex-Bungie employee).

You know, in a surprising conspiracy theory-related twist, although I read or listened to a source a few months back that seemed totally convincing, I can't remember what it was or locate it now. I can find the statement from someone claiming to be in a User Research Group in 2013 who said this, and piece it together with the E3 trailer with the Queen's brother/'Crow' holding the protagonist to gunpoint, and a piece of concept art of what appears to be the Black Garden inside the Traveller, and some other stuff, but... I can't find what it was that persuaded me it was likely true, which was none of those. Which is odd, because I distinctly recall thinking the 'Traveller is evil' stuff was all likely bullshit until I heard/read whatever it is I can't now find. 

What I can say, because it is entirely factual, is that the lead writer, Joe Staten, left in 2013, and that substantial rewrites were made (including to the character of the Queen - see that Bungie stream I linked to earlier), but, no, I can't say for sure that the Traveller was supposed to turn out not all it seemed to be. So things have been substantially rewritten - there's no doubt about that judging from what Bungie staffers have said publicly - but as to the specifics, we don't know for sure what those entail.

Although I do think in the Books of Sorrow we get the same 'the Traveller is evil' story anyway, just told from the other side. It does rather look as if he was a big part of planned genocide on Fundament, after all. But that's all part of the far more interesting non-black/whiteness in the way Destiny's story has ended up being told.

2 hours ago, K said:

As it is, it’s like the original Halo never explaining what Halo actually is, and never letting you go there.

I haven't played CE for years, but isn't the Halo the big ring planet thing you're on?

1 hour ago, Gorf King said:

Grimoire mate. The story's in the grimoire, like it or loathe it. That's where the stuff in the link K posted is basically lifted from. TTK is definitely not just 'a bad alien is coming.' I mean, if you just watch the trailers it is. But the Books of Sorrow tell a very different, and far more interesting, story. I haven't got a problem with the grimoire-as-full-story approach myself, as long as the little snippets in FMV and in-game dialogue are dramatic enough to frame the immediate focal points as you go along (and I think they were in TTK). Better that than tons of lengthy FMV exposition on backstory. Then you unearth the detail from all sorts of different perspectives as you hoover up grimoire later. My big issue with that approach is that there should be somewhere in-game where you can read all that stuff.

Sorry, I should clarify (a habit I clearly need to form in any thread where you post, along with getting some sleep and making 100% sure I believe what I'm saying :)). 

I enjoy the story in the Grimoire, but I feel that the overall stories of the DLC have been a pretty repetitive holding pattern. Whilst TTK is a better story than TDB, they are similar, and neither one of them does anything to advance the core story laid out in the original game. I know that story was changed a lot in development, but the basic story presented to me in the vanilla release (the traveller, the darkness etc) was at least interesting. I was ok with not really understanding how everything came to be this way, but was interested in some back story. What's happened since though, is that the main story of what is happening to us and the world now has not advanced at all. Crota escaped from the moon and we stopped him, the wolves prowled about and we stopped them, Oryx arrived, fucked a bunch of stuff up and at least made changes to the world, then we beat him. But the traveller? If we woke it up at the end of the first game, why hasn't it responded to repeated threats to us? Is the darkness related to Crota and Oryx? What are the Guardians and the speaker actually doing overall and why? We're just responding to threats, not actually progressing with anything.

I loved the increased amount of character interactions in TTK, and I've enjoyed how they've fleshed out the other alien races through providing us with threats and allies from them. Opening the reef was a good story point that also played well into the design of the game, and parts of the grimoire stories are actually really good. But there's not been enough progress in the core story for it to be satisfying as a continuation of the original narrative, which on top of the narrative issues in the base game and first two expansions has made the overall story less satisfying than it could have been.

I'm not being deliberately 'funny' here, but although you say you enjoy the grimoire, have you actually read it? Because your second para suggests you haven't. The Books of Sorrow - which is the core grimoire in TTK - addresses exactly what you say TTK doesn't. It's all about 'the darkness and Oryx', and the Traveller, and the whole backstory of the Hive and how they are intertwined with the darkness. In fact, it goes far, far further in fleshing out the backdrop to a lot of what's happened leading up to the present day than anything in the game before it. There's even some Vex stuff in there - not exactly Vex origin, but stuff that explains their behaviour at the Black Garden in vanilla, for one thing. 

I appreciate that you can't have come across all the BoS grimoire during the game - because some of it's in the raid, which again is the culmination of the story (including a weapon you can only get in the raid which is a key part of the philosophy behind BoS and the Hive/darkness) - so although I've posted it before it his thread, I'll post it again just in case you missed it: PDF of the complete Books of Sorrow. Well worth another read. I doubt there'll be anything of that scope in RoI - we've already been told it's a smaller-scale story about a particular group of individuals, as opposed to the more sweeping TTK one, and is focussed on 'nostalgia' - but if D2 tells its story as well as TTK did, I'll be very happy.

Whether totally informed or not, I think Broker has a point in that what was believed to be the core narrative, that of the Traveller, hasn't really gone anywhere. The Book of Sorrows lays out a lot backstory but that's akin to a flashback episode of a TV series: it grants a better understanding of where things might be going but doesn't actually move them along.

Frankly I think the expansions are essentially filler and setup for the sequel. Not that there isn't plenty for lore nerds to get their teeth into, but if Bungie are going to drop major story beats it'll be in the sequel; my money's on some cataclysmic in-game event happening around this time next year, leading into the sequel and justifying a character reset.

I agree with the cataclysmic event and the reset for the sequel happening, but I don't think it's at all fair or accurate to call TTK 'filler'. The whole of vanilla and the DLC is part one of the story, which is the setup for part two. I suspect it'll be a three-act affair. D1 is the setup. D2 will be the confrontation, and D3 the resolution. So we're still in setup land. The core narrative of the traveller hasn't got any further than anything else. It's all still, essentially, setup. But the setup has been made, and fleshed out in those expansions.

A character reset for D2? That seems like it would be risky. Is that what MMOs do when they expand? I'd not thought about Destiny 2 all that much, but it turns out I'm thinking about it as essentially a big next-gen only expansion, rather than a new game starting at level 1.

They're obviously going to let you take stuff over, including characters to an extent; but we don't know to what extent. We do, however, know D2 is not an expansion. In February Bungie said 'Prior to the holiday break we mentioned a second, larger update slated for Spring. That content release will feature a significant Light increase, a bunch of new gear to earn and equip, and new challenges for PvE players seeking some more fun experiences and replayability. Beyond that, the team is focused on delivering a large expansion later this year, and a full Destiny sequel in 2017.'

To me, that's a marked break, is a full sequel, and very distinct from even the largest expansion. It won't be D1 with a huge extra component added on. VoG and all that lot - as we know them - will be gone forever. It's a new title, like Mass Effect 2 or summat. And we won't start at light level 400 or whatever, because obviously they'll want to get new players in, not just us lot - and we can't disadvantage them that much or it'll put newcomers off. You may get the essence of your characters transferable - a bit like you do in an RPG sequel sometimes - so race, class, cosmetics (to an extent), and I guess a character boost? Maybe. I've no idea really, as they haven't said. But they have said they'll let you continue your Guardian's journey, or words to that effect, so you won't be wiped out completely. But you must, to some extent, be reset. The whole place will be reset - I expect some of the same old stuff to be in there at least in name or location, but reworked considerably and just as accessible to newcomers as to vets, stuff like an exp buff or level boost aside.

3 hours ago, K said:

Ah yeah, I remember now... it was Shimmy.

20 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

A character reset for D2? That seems like it would be risky. Is that what MMOs do when they expand? I'd not thought about Destiny 2 all that much, but it turns out I'm thinking about it as essentially a big next-gen only expansion, rather than a new game starting at level 1.

I think ideally — and originally — it would just be a massive expansion, but in this case a reset makes more sense.

In addition to what Gorf said, I tend to view it like so: vanilla Destiny was a bit of a mess, being a cross-generation title that was heavily reworked during its final year of development. That isn't a foundation you want to keep building on, especially with several years of fresh experience working on a live game under your belt; the Bungie of today should be far better positioned to design and support a game like Destiny.

Whether it's not having to worry about the PS3/360 or revamping their production pipeline now they have a better idea of the issues they're going to run into, they aren't going to want to be tied down by legacy decisions forever. Maybe Bungie have learnt enough that they can continue to expand on Destiny 2 for the life of the franchise, but for now I think something of a clean break is required if the game is to be adaptable as it needs to be.

I'm sure players' Guardians will survive in some form, but I'm expecting a reset so extensive that you're essentially playing a new character that looks like your old one. Handling it any other way comes with too much baggage, whether that be years of stockpiled resources or a bank full of exotics that need to fit in amongst any mechanical changes you hoped to make. Some people will moan about it at first, but chuck them a few exclusive cosmetic items, let time do its thing and everyone will have forgotten about the reset by the time the first DLC is out.

I'm happy to have a full reset of the levels and systems and stuff, but if they didn't build on the assets of the first game and reutilise as many of them as possible (in addition to new content) I'd be pretty disappointed. But I don't know game dev, maybe if they sort out their production pipeline so they can actually make new content at a more reasonable speed (assuming the rumours about their slow engine impacting upon development are true), then they will have to literally throw away all the maps and armour and gun assets they've ever built. I have to say though, I think there's a balance to be struck between attracting new people and wiping out all of the progress that everyone who plays your game has ever made. If you lose all your weapons and ships and armour and even the cosmetic shit then surely a lot of people will feel like there's no point in continuing to play? 

They really never should have used the phrase MMO when describing what they wanted to do with this.

But they didn't use the phrase MMO to describe it. They deliberately avoided ever calling it that, saying it was a 'shared-world shooter.' In answer to a question asked in late 2014 - 'Do you guys ever get tired of people calling it an MMO?' - they said, 'Not at all. Do you guys ever get tired of us insisting it’s not an MMO?'

And this 'reasonable speed for new content' thing... releasing a main game, then one expansion a year (or two in year one of D1) isn't reasonable? I'm not sure just what's considered 'reasonable' here.

I agree that a full reset is most likely. Every time Blizzard put out a WOW expansion slightly fewer people come back than did for the previous one. Whereas if they released WOW2 tomorrow it'd be a very different story. Much as I'd like the game to be expanded indefinitely over time I can't see Activision letting it happen - and given the apparent state of the toolset and the creaking codebase destiny is built on, I can see bungie preferring a clean break too. 

As for story, yes, I'm quite sure the Traveller stuff is being teased out over the series and it will once again be the focus in D2. The bits in between are just episodic side stories to me - like, there's a Death Star to deal with, but that doesn't mean you can't sort out Jabba first. I've never read a line of the Grimoire, so maybe there is more to it than that, but ignorance is bliss to an extent. I'd rather have little episodes in between with different tones and themes than the same old portentous stuff about some mystical moon-thing all the time.