IGNORED

Destiny: FIN

Gorf King

335 innit.

Aye, I'll be there Sunday evening around 8. Hopefully we'll make an efficient job of it and have plenty of time for an alt run just for the Golgo bit - the rewards should be worth the little extra effort. Not fussed about continuing on through the Hall of Cocks.

Have to say, now that the latest spurt of Destiny's over, I'll miss the summer drought that's just around the corner. I've been trying to get into some other games lately - gasp - and the big names, even the forum favourites, seem so massively inferior to this one I think I might just put the PS4 into semi-retirement until the DLC comes out. The D******* was promising until its mask slipped and it turned into the dullest, most bug-ridden grind ever, but even when it turned that way at least its core shooting was, while not Bungie-good, at least decent for a cover shooter. Everything else I've touched just seems so sub-par though, FPSs in particular. Gave that Overwatch a few goes today, but I just don't see what's getting people excited. As with most other games, it's the core combat that kills it - floaty, slow, vague, uninspiring, totally unsatisfying gunplay that is basically the be-all and end-all of the game, which is essential a deathmatch mode in a handful of small arenas. Is it just me, or has everyone given up trying to do shooters as good as Halo and just reverted to a 90s public domain sensibility? They just seem to have gone backwards. 

Anyway, yeah, bit of a moan there. I'm just kind of disappointed now the realisation's sunk in that no-one's ever going to do any better than Bungie at this online shooter business - unless you like the COD approach, of course. The situation's not even good for seasoned Destiny players, because if there are no real competitors and no great new ideas from them, there's less chance of Bungie making significant strides with Destiny 2 and not repeating their mistakes of the past. As it stands, Destiny 2 could be nothing more than a reskinned re-run of vanilla Destiny with a few new raid mechanics, and it'd still be head and shoulders above anything else out there. Because shooting them guns and solving them puzzles. No-one else seems to have a clue how to do either of those things half as well, let alone marry them up into a coherent, team-based whole.

Bah. See you at 8.

You don't have an xbone do you Gorf? Which is a shame as Halo 5 multiplayer is truly excellent and they just keep adding content to it. It's certainly something that I've gravitated back to after getting bored quickly of the Division and IB having finished in Destiny.

No, I don't. But in truth I'm not much of a PVPer. It's the various PvE parts of online games that are the main draw for me, and the RPG/MMO-ish looty raidy stuff in Destiny obviously helps with longevity. In fact, the only thing in Destiny I haven't 'finished' is Trials, cos I'm just not good enough to go flawless, and I don't return to play that any more because it's so obvious that I'll never get 9-0.

Xûr - Agent of the Irrelevance - is in the Reef, selling some more stuff no-one wants (Titan Alpha Lupi, Young Akahahahaha Spine, Heart of the PF, Suros Regime) and a really useful legacy engram for a Windows 95 gun. Plus the usual five packs of three ofs and the biggest bargain Bungie ever dreamed up, two strange coins for a mote of light (but not the right way round). Roll up, roll up. 

Where's my feckin arms, you cahnt?

15 minutes ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

How is Suros Regime "stuff no-one wants"?! I'll be snapping that up as soon as I log on tonight. I just wish he'd sell the MIDA again too.

I guess a lot of people would have it from drops or from the big iPad things in the hall of guardians by now.

I only buy 3oC from him now really

Ok - what I mean is, stuff no-one who's seen it so many times before wants. I accept that a few people are either relative newcomers or have played for ages but have unfathomably missed every one of the last five occasions on which he's sold Suros, so obviously there's always going to be an exception to 'no-one'. But Xûr used to sell stuff that was lookr@re, and everyone used to get excited about what fabulous gems he'd bring, and we simply don't any more. 280LL versions of guns that have been in circulation for a year and a half and which he's sold a few times himself aren't much of a draw, and they're not even good as infusion fodder these days as their light levels are so low. So yeah, the majority of us will grab a few three of coins and be on our way, because when it comes to shopping for guns, or even gear, many of the vendors offer better stuff, and their reward packages offer far higher light items essentially for free.

Xûr's masked slipped and he was revealed to be Gerald Ratner some time ago, I'm afraid. I suspect half of the 3oCs he sells are duds, the fucking fog-faced shyster.

7 hours ago, Kryptonian said:

I guess a lot of people would have it from drops or from the big iPad things in the hall of guardians by now.

I only buy 3oC from him now really

I gave up on Destiny very early on in Year One, and didn't come back until Year Two and The Taken King, so never got the Year One versions of SUROS Regime and MIDA Multi-Tool etc. and so couldn't just buy the Year Two versions.

Never seen them in drops, either. The majority of Exotic engrams I've had have been for the same small set of items again and again, with the exception of the awesome Red Death that I got last week or the week before.

Xur's inventory has also been rather poor (for me) most of the time since I came back, with various items repeated a few times. Had some good things from him, but not very many. And then I foolishly missed out on MIDA at Christmas and the Regime a while after as I didn't have the SC :-(

I'd assume there are a fair few people like me who came back (or joined fresh) because of TKK, and so don't have the same kind of Exotic collection that old-hands do.

Nah, just play everything. 

Challenge of the Elders, strikes, crucible, court of oryx, nightfall, vanguard and crucible packages all now drop up to 335 (that's the new max) light stuff. 

I've done one or two nights a week on one character since the update just doing a mixture of the above and I've gone from 316 to 332. 

I haven't done a raid since November but I should imagine it will shoot your light up pretty quick. 

The best thing is the new 1:1 infusion. You get a shit 335 weapon, don't worry, just stick it in one you do like. 

They've pitched it perfectly for the casual player now in the run up to any new stuff. There's no grind or pressure to do stuff every night like before. Just enjoy shooting monsters and you'll get some character progression. 

I am really enjoying this again of late and our little crew are pretty much all back in the fold, we have even started playing a bit of trials and having loads of fun - getting to 5-0 at 2am after a long days work is some kind of miracle esp as we were all on our second characters having only got to 4-0 on our mains!

I take it Xur has just stopped selling year two exotic engrams these days?

So far, yes. It wouldn't altogether surprise me if he started again at some point, as it's clear that Bungie want everyone to get to 335 with relative ease before the next, and last, expansion. It'd just have been a bit *too* easy if you could buy your way there; and, of course, it'd have made you that bit less inclined to play the reward-enhanced activities. Eventually, though, yeah - I get the feeling that Bungie want Destiny 1 to leave its audience on a literal high, to make them feel good about the prospect of 2.

And then, of course, the grind can begin again in earnest. Tell you what, though - it'll be difficult now for them to put the genie back in its bottle. I can imagine they've learnt compelling lessons not only from their own experience with this game, but from the fate of The Division, to which Destiny's spring update stands in marked (and some might say deliberate) contrast. I doubt they'll be making progress quite so one-activity and punitively grindy as they did in some earlier incarnations of the endgame. Variety, choice, and a sense of fair reward must surely be high on Bungie's list when designing progression mechanics for the sequel. 

I've not played Destiny for nearly a week now!

The spell may have been broken.

Just picked up BF:Hardline on PSN and I'm enjoying the MP.

Star Wars BF is pretty cool too.

No doubt I'll be back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm still doing plenty of trials on the weekend but haven't bothered with anything else. 

Uncharted 4 has been a great diversion though... Made me less annoyed with the game when I had something else to play alongside it 

Did anyone watch Bungie's Twitch playthrough of KF last night? It was interesting (if you find this sort of stuff interesting) for the developer/writer commentary in parts, which revealed the reasoning behind a few of the design choices that were made, and provided a bit of a backdrop to the lore. The gameplay itself wasn't that engrossing, as it was a bunch of Bungie guys and play testers doing NM at LL >330. It's at https://www.twitch.tv/bungie/v/67188129 if you fancy a watch.

The most interesting thing, though, was the raid designer seemingly confirming that the autumn expansion will have a raid in it. He didn't confirm it fully, but when jokingly offering to tell viewers about 'the next raid' and being told not to, you have to assume in context that he was talking about Destiny, not a raid in the next game. So yeah, this is definitely confirmation that we'll be getting a full raid in the autumn DLC - doubtless priced at only £29.99! - and that's a nailed-down fact, not something I just inferred from scant evidence under the influence of a growing, gnawing desperation.

It is true though. You wait and see. /E3