IGNORED

Destiny: FIN

Gorf King

Even back in the day PoE was the sort of thing only worth playing once or twice a week. To base this update around its 'return' is odd. I can't believe it's something the community demanded. 

Should have been a vastly increased loot table and the updating of the old raids to make them worth playing. 

Destiny is a case study in how to create a coherent mmofps and then sabotage your own creation. Bungie don't seem to listen to what their fanbase want. Anyway, this genre is now well established so hopefully another dev will have a go. 

I like the new loot system. Basically any "endgame" loot seems certainty to be a few levels above your current average. Same with faction packages and exotic engrams it seems. 

Levveling is is now just a matter of playing what you like, and in time you'll increase. 

7 hours ago, vezna said:

Even back in the day PoE was the sort of thing only worth playing once or twice a week. To base this update around its 'return' is odd. I can't believe it's something the community demanded. 

Should have been a vastly increased loot table and the updating of the old raids to make them worth playing. 

Destiny is a case study in how to create a coherent mmofps and then sabotage your own creation. Bungie don't seem to listen to what their fanbase want. Anyway, this genre is now well established so hopefully another dev will have a go. 

This criticism is unfair.

The community was demanding a PoE update because it was part of an entire paid DLC addition that had been made totally irrelevant. Bungie did listen to what their fanbase want in this regard. Other requests have included updating the raids, more multiplayer modes and updated vanilla exotics. I think Bungie are trying to do all they can with the resources they have considering Destiny 2 must be on the boil, but the damage has been done with the consistent double RNG souring so many players and such a dearth of activities to warrant playing otherwise.

And, for what it's worth, Ubisoft have been having a go with The Division. So far, their first major update is a cock-up too, and they're also sabotaging their player community with negative changes to the metagame to increase grinding. Someone earlier in this thread or The Division thread has pointed out that devs always underestimate how much their players will play their game, so when a growing number of people start to rinse through their content, the devs panic and move the goalposts. This is what creates the gulf between top-tier players and normal folks, as for normal folks it gets ever harder to progress, whereas the top-tier players continue to stomp forward with their stockpiled items and currency.

To ring this back around, 'normal' Destiny players have finally been afforded a better opportunity to finally get to top level with the improvement to the infusion system and an updated end-game activity to afford more opportunities for gear. Regrettably, many, myself included I think, find it too little too late. An introducing a new gear set the debuts at light level three? I mean, what the hell...

32 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

If that's true then its pretty good. I have seen a few people saying they still get low level loot though while being over 300 light, so I dunno what to believe.

Its not all loot that's above you, but the loot you get from specific rewards such as FF, weekly crucible bounty, faction packages and exotic engrams. Random blues are still random blues.

Some armour (forget the name) drops at 3 light, but whether it's 3 or 310 isn't an issue with 100% infusion. I'm pretty sure that armour set is meant to be cosmetic. 

31 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

That's good to hear then. That was the main gripe a lot of people had prior to this update.

Do exotics still decrypt at 310 if your over 311 now, or do they go higher?

Haven't had one yet and I am all out of 3OC - roll on Xur on Friday.

The retooling of the infusion system & light-level drops is great & means that pretty much everything you do will contribute to your character & gear growing. I just hope the modifiers in future weeks provide more of a challenge because this first one is an absolute breeze (intentionally, I'm sure).

So I come here from the Division thread with a genuine question. If I was to pick up Destiny, having never played more than a couple of hours of Vanilla waaay back at launch, how bad would the learning/gear curve be? 

I'm a big MMO player, and as much as I enjoy The Division, the prospect of grinding away levels in the DZ isn't particularly appealing at the moment and as such, I'm curious as to whether I could satisfy that looter shooter itch by playing Destiny as well/instead. 

Learning curve would be fine. Progression is fairly self explanatory -though you'd find yourself asking the odd question here or looking at Reddit. 

Like most things, you'd get a lot more enjoment out of it if you play with friends. 

Yeah, there isn't a huge amount of new stuff to do. But they've made what content there is (and to a new player, that's a lot of content) more rewarding.

I ran through Challenge of Elders last night. It's not going to set the world alight, but I enjoyed it -it's pretty easy, but there's a large amount of scope for that to change week to week.

They finally made Prison of Elders fun. Challenge of the Elders is exactly what the arena mode should have had from the start, score attack boss rush with (for now) decent rewards that improve your light level and takes 15-20 minutes to run through.

Berties, I've read that some people have managed 50k... Doing stuff like two people bodyshotting, then the 3rd head shotting to give 2 x assist bonus (50 points) on top of the precision bonus.

You're right though -original PoE should have been this.

I popped on to Destiny last week whilst waiting for Dark Souls 3, safe in the knowledge that I would never get sucked in to the number-chasing RNG buttfuck ever again...but man, it's still such a thrilling game to just play. I did a couple of dailies and strikes with no real care for what the rewards were and the gunplay is still peerless. The final TTK mission with Oryx is a brilliant fight. 

I stopped playing in November after the hard raid grind just got too much but I can certainly see me unwinding with a score attack mode in PoE next time I get stuck at a soul-crushingly hard bastard boss in DS3. It looks a lot of fun and this update looks to be the catch-up in the same way HoW was last year where it's giving everyone the chance to get on an equal footing just by playing whatever they like. 

Yeah, I sometimes have a quick fag in the pub and never feel like smoking again, I can handle 'casual' Destiny. Right?

That new sword does look really sweet though....

PoE Challenge (with this week's modifiers at least) is actually fun. Yes, they should have made it more like this from the start. It's very, very easy to hit the targets though, so obviously this is one way, along with the other activities in which 320+ gear can drop, to give players a choice of activities to get to the new level cap before the next paid update hits. And they've been quite clever about it in terms of giving you something just that little bit higher-levelled for each week's completion of each activity. So you'll inch your way up to max light, but it's a far more certain path than the previous mechanic, where a successful King's Fall raid would often leave you with a full set of drops of a lower level than you already had. That should really, really never have been allowed to happen, and their correcting it now makes me feel like running KF again.

@Varsity - you'll find the RPG mechanics a lot more, uh, 'streamlined' in Destiny than in most MMOs, or in The Division. For one thing there's no real crafting at all, and precious little customisation - you basically get the item that drops and you're stuck with that roll unless you get another, better, one. They did experiment with a simple form of rerolling but I don't think that was successful, and they dropped it. The way it works right now gives a pretty smooth exp/gear progression up the storyline, and then through endgame the gear mechanic I described in the first para kicks in and it looks like another fairly smooth route all the way to cap (RNG aside in terms of giving you an item you already have - not sure that there's any intelligence in that yet). The main stumbling blocks are likely to be the plethora of confusing, unrelated currencies and materials for different things, earned in different ways - with every expansion they just piled one new one on top of another until it made little sense; and the redundancy, in terms of progression, of some of the best content - mainly the two older raids, whose drops are now pitifully out of whack with the actual endgame and which are laughably easy to complete even for someone who's only at or near the end of the basic storyline missions. So the narrative/progression route is a bit misshapen. But for an MMO-lite, those issues aside it's not a complex game in terms of numbers, dice rolls, crafting etc.

And it does still hold the distinction of being the best-feeling shooter out there. The feel of Destiny's combat is still second to none.

Really feel like a KF now. The appeal of the teamwork that requires, with guaranteed good loot at the end of it, is so much higher than doing an Incursion. God, Massive really dropped the ball on that one.

Jumped back on this last night for the first time in a while.

Not tried the new PoE/CoE yet, but I like the changes in general. 1:1 light level Infusion is excellent, and how it should always have been. And I'm seeing drops and rewards with 300+ light, which is great for me as I've been stuck on 296 for ages as I've still never been Raiding. It'll also be good to have a new (well, old) Strike in the Heroic playlist, as I really got bored of Shield Brothers > Fallen SABRE > Sunless Cell > Shield Brothers > Fallen SABRE > Sunless Cell > Shield Brothers > Fallen SABRE > Sunless Cell... (Hell, it often ended up being Fallen SABRE > Fallen SABRE > Fallen SABRE ...).

3 hours ago, Gorf King said:

Yes, but on a Thursday (tonight). Dunno who'll be on, of course - but it's Golgo Challenge, so maybe just up to him.

I'd be up for that. What time you thinking? (assuming you have the space of course)

I'll be able to get on way earlier than last time too btw, as I finish at 5 now rather than the ridiculous 8 it was last time.