IGNORED

PGR 4

rubberducker

It's just me having my annual moan cos I'm rubbish at the game.

I have to say I'm in the same boat. For some reason this one series has a handling model that I just do not get. It's weird, because the more sim-like stuff is fine - Forza 2 I could manage (at least on the lower classes) and MotoGP took a little time, but that was fine too - you just really needed to brake a lot on that one. And I can do the arcade stuff too - OutRun? Sure. Sega Rally? Twitchy at first, but I'm great with bonnet cam.

This? I feel like it's veering between sim and arcade at will. I can make some turns fine, then I'll approach one in a similar manner and completely spin out, seemingly randomly. And it punishes you so severely for making the slightest mistake. You can brush a wall after a skid, come to a complete dead stop, and usually have to reverse (slowly) while everyone else overtakes you.

Like I say, every other racing game I can get used to, but somehow this hasn't clicked with me.

Okay.

Fastest Speed 238 (mph)

Longest Slide 5 ft

Longest Wheelie 3,481 ft

Longest Endo 270 ft

And it's a piece of piss to do way better.

My stats:

Fastest Speed 181 (mph)

Longest Slide 2 ft

Longest Wheelie 2,095 ft

Longest Endo 893 ft

Nice endo, poor slide.

What was your top speed in?

The demo is fantastic, i was always getting PGR4 but after 1 min you can feel its a better game than 3 ! Another early night lost, this time to a demo not halo3 !!!

Maybe it's because I've been hitting Sega rally so hard but the demo left me extremely cold. The snow is boring to drive in, no deep fields to plow through. The rain covered track doesn't feel slippy or have the fantastic sound design of Sega's racer. It just feels dull, PGR3.5 in fact.

Which is a shame as I've been a fan of the series since MSR.

Played a bit of the demo this morning- lots of fun.

Minor thing, far too late for Bizarre to change it but it bugs me nonetheless.

When you do a front-wheel-wheelie-on-the-brakes on a motorbike, it's called a "Stoppie".

An "endo" is what kids do on BMXes.

still, I duno if I'll be purchasing on friday as I need to save some cash for Mass Effect, Ace Combat 6, and Guitar Hero 3...

And the Orange Box, which is now seriously tempting me...

My son is home ill from School today and I'll be leaving work to look after him from about 12ish. I'm tempted to buy this from the Import shop for £45 should I?

Well, if you want to play quickly you could. Would be a bit stupid though when you consider you can import it yourself for almost half that price or wait one or two days for the PAL release and save a fiver/tenner.

Well, if you want to play quickly you could. Would be a bit stupid though when you consider you can import it yourself for almost half that price or wait one or two days for the PAL release and save a fiver/tenner.

Yes but I can hardly take it home with me today to cheer up my ill son then could I. I see your logic and my wallett agrees, my heart doesnt though.

The Post strikes mean importing and online ordering is a no no for me currently.

Finally got the demo downloaded last night during a PGR3 session.

The cars seem as solid as usual. The in car view being the usual hit and miss IMO. Some cars have great visibility over the dash, others, particularly the Ferrari in the demo obscuring half the screen. Realisitc maybe, but means it might hinder my plan to play the entire game in car. We'll see.

The bikes are twitchy has anything, particularly at slow speeds. Off the line trying to weave between a few cars I was all over the place, but after a couple of laps it's actually quite a rewarding model. Braking early, clipping the apex and pulling out fast is extremely satisfying, particularly when ducking inside a car as you exit. From the short period nailing the racing line on the bikes bike felt more satisfying than it does in the cars (although of course using the e-brake changes all that of course).

The big disapointment to me was the short 'ring track in the snow. Yes it looked amazing and all but it just didn't feel like as big a challenge as it should be. Maybe in high powered cars, maybe on the behemoth, maybe with other cars to avoid and be hit by (and almost certainly in little race cars with skinny tires). But in the demo it just felt a bit too easy to get round the track in an okay time. Although I'm willing to admit that given that I'm a Forza fan this could stand me in good stead for the more cautious approach required.

Finally got the demo downloaded last night during a PGR3 session.

The cars seem as solid as usual. The in car view being the usual hit and miss IMO. Some cars have great visibility over the dash, others, particularly the Ferrari in the demo obscuring half the screen. Realisitc maybe, but means it might hinder my plan to play the entire game in car. We'll see.

The bikes are twitchy has anything, particularly at slow speeds. Off the line trying to weave between a few cars I was all over the place, but after a couple of laps it's actually quite a rewarding model. Braking early, clipping the apex and pulling out fast is extremely satisfying, particularly when ducking inside a car as you exit. From the short period nailing the racing line on the bikes bike felt more satisfying than it does in the cars (although of course using the e-brake changes all that of course).

The big disapointment to me was the short 'ring track in the snow. Yes it looked amazing and all but it just didn't feel like as big a challenge as it should be. Maybe in high powered cars, maybe on the behemoth, maybe with other cars to avoid and be hit by (and almost certainly in little race cars with skinny tires). But in the demo it just felt a bit too easy to get round the track in an okay time. Although I'm willing to admit that given that I'm a Forza fan this could stand me in good stead for the more cautious approach required.

Agree with pretty much everything here, especially the driving-in-the-snow thing. I've driven in heavy snow with my own car a couple of times, and it's very exciting and exhilirating. This is hardly captured in the snow challenge level of the demo, as it isn't really that slippery at all. When driving in real snow, you really have to take in account the inertia and weight of the car because it'll slide all over the place.. Here it seems more like driving on sand or during rain.

When it comes to the in-car view, I find it too narrow to really be of any use, even on widescreen. It looks great, but compared to 'real driving', it's like steering your car while looking through a letterbox. I find the bonnet-cam usually the best option when it comes to sense-of-speed/realistic feel and still having a wide enough viewpoint to see what's going on.

When it comes to the in-car view, I find it too narrow to really be of any use, even on widescreen. It looks great, but compared to 'real driving', it's like steering your car while looking through a letterbox. I find the bonnet-cam usually the best option when it comes to sense-of-speed/realistic feel and still having a wide enough viewpoint to see what's going on.

CRW_304020cropped.jpg

Mmmm

one of the challenges in the career is the whole Nurburgring in the snow in a vintage race car.

If your looking for a challenge here it is.

Over 9 minutes of white knuckle racing 1 big mistake and it's over.

That is easy, and a load of fun. Stick on Wagner and get your power sliding hat on.

I hope so. The fully ring is a complete beast even in the dry (both in PGR3 and Forza). Having a clean lap requires complete concentration with the high speeds.

But the snow should invoke eyes wide panic at least the first time you drive on it. A week after I passed my real driving test it snowed and I was so scared it was untrue. Getting to junctions and feeling the car slide up to the line, preying it didn't keep going. Yes PGR is an arcade racer (although one with a confused position at times), but it could be a bit more, scary. Requiring, very smooth steering.

Anyway, not sure why I'm complaining, I liked it, but I supposed I just wish Forza had weather like this to see the kind of experience I expect from it. Although I'm not sure many track racing sports actually hold races in the snow :wub:

Tried the demo last night. I've lost a lot of my PGR skills, but I wasn't too bad in the cars. In the bikes, though, not good. Especially on the snow.

Very good stuff, though I was a tad underwhelmed and I'm not sure why. I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off with Sgea Rally instead.

if I can just mention my specific PGR3 garage situation?

I filled the four-slot with ferraris

F355

Enzo

F50

Testarossi

the barn with "exotics" you know, the palmer and all the other "non-production" models

and now I'm filling the desert one with US muscle

one of the benefits of having stockpiled 6 million credits I guess...

Having played through PGR3 all in one car (the GTR I think) the first time I had loads of credits, and ended up blowing them on Ferraris, Lambos and Exotics to get three of the achievements.

Never really bought a car because I "wanted" it in PGR3, it just never felt necesary or like it enabled me to do anything more. Maybe that's a symptom of playing it years after release and doing most of it in one weekend. Although might have to get Rank 1 now before PGR4 on Friday.

if I can just mention my specific PGR3 garage situation?

I filled the four-slot with ferraris

F355

Enzo

F50

Testarossi

the barn with "exotics" you know, the palmer and all the other "non-production" models

and now I'm filling the desert one with US muscle

one of the benefits of having stockpiled 6 million credits I guess...

That's great Sean. Welcome to 2005. :(