PGR 4

rubberducker

I don't understand the problem with the Cone Challenges - they are an integral part of the game and they test car control - they break up the endless 'going around in circles' etc. etc.

The final event in PGR2 - the GT40, Edinburgh Cone Challenge - is just amazing :wub:

They won't work with bikes whatsoever tho...

I'm also confused as to how they're going to make bikes a viable multiplayer option - in theory they should be MUCH faster accelerating but slower in the corners - which means they'll get lunched by other racers at every corner - and given that PGR has always been a 'barge-fest' of a game, it's hard to see why you'd choose one for racing against cars...

As for 'throwing the cars around more' - I can't actually think of a game which encourages you to oversteer cars more - other than Ridge Racer (which makes no attempt at realism whatsoever). I've always loved MSR/PGR for it's 'enchanced' reality handling - not getting bogged-down like GT, just bending things to the point they're interesting.

MSR/PGR remains - for me - the driving GAME of choice - GT is not a game, it's a simulator/slog.

Had a gander at that bike video - I still think it's pretty inconclusive yet, the only thing that concerned me was the fact that the bike appeared to float through the air whenever it left the ground!

I think we need to see some footage of someone caning it though - that video just looked like someone was coaxing the bike around the track and as a result not really showing the capabilities and limitations of the bikes. Jury's still out I guess.

I've never been mad about the series. To me, it feels like a series of games that's trying to be different for the sake of it instead of being the same as every other racer but excellent (Forza 2.)

Weaving through cones is license test material in most other racing games but in PGR it's a main feature. WTF! :)

The cone challenges are pure heart in your mouth seat of the pants gaming. They're pretty much the best thing to happen to driving games in years for me. Cant get enough of em.

I cannot for the fucking life of me work out what we are supposed to benefit from having bikes in PGR4.

The cone challenges are pure heart in your mouth seat of the pants gaming. They're pretty much the best thing to happen to driving games in years for me. Cant get enough of em.

I cannot for the fucking life of me work out what we are supposed to benefit from having bikes in PGR4.

I agree, except in 3 were you couldn't see the 'cones' :)

Just what are they doing?

Because Forza 2 is so ace, and the bike stuff in PGR4 puts me off I say, shockingly (I loved PGR3)

Preorder Canceled

The 'benefit' is that if we want to race bikes, we can race bikes, and if we want to race cars, we can race cars.

Predictably, the 'benefit' is choice. It's not as if they've REPLACED all the cars with bikes.

One thing I enjoy with the latest racers is the extra detail in the track surfaces, the bumps, cambers and nuances. Thing is though is it still isn't anywhere near the reality, they should realyl start to work in detail on the surfaces, watching the bmw williams driving simulator the wheels are forever bumping and moving about and that's on a F1 circuit, street tracks should have a hell of a lot going on.

The 'benefit' is that if we want to race bikes, we can race bikes, and if we want to race cars, we can race cars.

But with the time they spent adding bikes, they could have put more cars/tracks in it... :)

And having 'choice' is silly anyway - should the next MotoGP game add some cars to it, for those people who want them? I mean, it's already stuck an extra mode, racing on street tracks in it, so it's clearly not bothered about sticking to its licence.

Jesus Christ. Look, just don't fucking buy it, then.

Metal Gear Solid 4 has a little robot you can control in it. Why? They could have spent the time they used to make the little robot in making Snake's moustache bushier. Snake can just shoot people anyway. The public want more 'tache.

Jesus Christ. Look, just don't fucking buy it, then.

Come on, I know it's not a huge deal, but I've always liked the PGR series for what it was - pure car fantasy. How many people posted that after playing PGR3 "well, it's alright, but I wish it had motorbikes in it as well"? I didn't see a single post like that, though I did see plenty of posts complaining about how they wish they had car X or location Y in it.

I would have loved a much more comprehesive car and track list far more than the addition of bikes. If I wanted bikes, I'd buy the latest Climax MotoGP game, but I don't, so I didn't (and not many other people did either). I can't believe that the opinion of the forum hive mind is that 'Jack of all trades' games are a great thing - is it just me who likes games tight, focused and are polished as much as they can be?

And no, I don't think Kojima should have put that pirouetting little robot in there - they really should focus on the flaws of the base mechanics of the game before they start adding stuff like that. See: Stroker Ace in the MGS4 thread bitching about "lousy controls, robotic movement and piss-poor animations".

Yes, but Tom B, you could say, if you want more choice of cars/tracks then go buy a differnet racing game..

I think the addition of bikes is going to be good; from the sounds of things Kudos is playing a major part in the gameplay mechanic again (thank god) which therefore means doing risky shit on bikes is going to net you a ton of K. The taunting/swearing/poncey sticking leg out thing just feel very PGR to me, at least.

It's a game about showboating, and if their 'focus' for the polish is on the showing off, then why not have bikes?

Yes, but Tom B, you could say, if you want more choice of cars/tracks then go buy a differnet racing game..

Hey, if there was a street racing game that was as good as the PGR series, I'd be all over it. But there doesn't seem to be at the moment. Maybe that new Juiced game and that new Need for Speed could be cool, but they focus heavily on the cutomisation and tuning of the cars. But hey, I'm sure everyone will approve of the Pimping of Rides in PGR5... ^_^

...actually, in truth, I'm not too bothered about this. I'll still buy PGR4 and I daresay I'll enjoy it, but now I've made a couple of posts denouncing the addition of bikes, I've got to show I believe in my convictions, right?

Predictably, the 'benefit' is choice. It's not as if they've REPLACED all the cars with bikes.

Stroker is, of course, right.'..

But for the 'real' bike experience, I'd rather play MotoGP or SBK, thanks. :)

If they nail the controls on the bikes it could be the best thing ever.

If they don't we'll just stick to the cars.

At least it's something new, and it might work very well. It adds to the franchise, after all it's Project Gotham Racing, not Project Gotham Cars Only. If it were only cars and new tracks, people would complain that it's "just Project Gotham 3.5" or something like that. Probably the same people that now complain about the bikes too.

I for one am looking forward to be doing wheelies on a rain soaked Nurburgring.

All I want, is it to capture what was so special about PGR 2 online. :)

Amen. I remember playing PGR2 online almost every night back in the day. Some of my fave online gaming moments were racing in PGR2 with the RLLMUK gang. I remember some classic racing with virtuapimp and spacedog uk around the streets of Edinburgh in the wet. Bliss. I really hope PGR4 is a return to the glory days. PGR3 just felt flat in comparison. PGR2 was almost perfect. Awesome tracks, superb/fun handling model, and excellent online integration. Edinburgh, Sydney, Stockholm, Moscow, Hong Kong (like a rollercoaster). All individual yet brilliant tracks in their own right. The tracks in PGR3 were just...uninspired and forgetful in my opinion. C'mon Bizzare Creations. Let's have another belter!