rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Quexex

The HD/Blu-ray Thread

While all this pure conjecture is deeply fascinating, why should I as a consumer give two tugs?

Well, if you have a 1080p telly, you'll be able to watch games upscaled to 1080p, as a free upgrade. And DVds upscaled too. And that's about it.

Not on Component, not sure on VGA but its not allowed - set by the dvd forum peeps and why you dont get upscaling players on component (without hacks)

That doesn't come in until 2011 (at the earliest) though does it?

Well, if you have a 1080p telly, you'll be able to watch games upscaled to 1080p, as a free upgrade. And DVds upscaled too. And that's about it.

We'll be able to get '1080p' (or something pretty similar) on a monitor though right?

Not on Component, not sure on VGA but its not allowed - set by the dvd forum peeps and why you dont get upscaling players on component (without hacks)

So you can upscale DVDs to 1080p but not 720p? that's just stupid.

Part two: a software update this year will enable 1080p output on the friggin' Xbox 360! Your rig will finally benefit by pushing the full 60 megapixels per second of visuals to your compatible HDTV. Sorry, no HDMI cable yet (or ever?), though, this is only over component and VGA. Users can expect 1080p upscaling immediately on current games and DVDs

Thanks Captain Obvious.

I'm not sure I believe you.

There hasn't been any official confirmation on a European price for the drive has there?

As for moaning about MS back tracking on 1080p support (assuming they are) who gives a crap? If the lie is in the consumers favour, then fair play to be honest.

I'm not sure I believe you.

Well its true.

Did you know you can also download games for free, its called piracy i hear :( :(

Just because something is not allowed does not stop people doing it on the sly, No Major brands will do it as they would get done. Microsoft being a big name would surely not go against the dvd forum.

Ever wondered why the 360 does not upscale over component ?

So you can upscale DVDs to 1080p but not 720p? that's just stupid.

No only 576p officially on component, nothing above.

Unlike Sony, Microsoft are not foring you to buy a HD-DVD/BR drive with the console.

Just want to play games? Then the 360 is still shitloads cheaper, and available now.

In which case, why buy a 360? The has the biggest catalogue out there, still supported with new releases and the graphics are hardly anything to be sniffed at. The only worthwhile reason I see to get a 360 is the online service, which really is the only thing next gen about it. THe PS2 will save you £200, and provide a lot more fun.

Did you buy a PS2 then?

What did you get one of those for when the PS1 had the biggest catalogue out there? The graphics are hardly anything to be sniffed at. The only worthwhile reason I see to get a PS2 is the DVD player, which really is the only thing next gen about it. The PS1 will save you £200, and provide a lot more fun.

Sorry not sure I understand this. let me see:

If I play DVDs on my 360 via component it won't upscale them.

If I play DVDs on my 360 via VGA it will upscale them to 720p and soon to 1080p?

is that correct?

I thought when the VGA cable was plugged in it just allowed resolutions to be set not 720p or 1080p.

I thought when the VGA cable was plugged in it just allowed resolutions to be set not 720p or 1080p.

No, the 360 upscales DVDs over VGA to 720p since the last dashboard update. Not sure I see much of a difference myself, but it's another feature to tick on the back of the box.

No, the 360 upscales DVDs over VGA to 720p since the last dashboard update. Not sure I see much of a difference myself, but it's another feature to tick on the back of the box.

Thanks, and are we saying that it will soon upscale to 1080p?

Did you buy a PS2 then?

What did you get one of those for when the PS1 had the biggest catalogue out there? The graphics are hardly anything to be sniffed at. The only worthwhile reason I see to get a PS2 is the DVD player, which really is the only thing next gen about it. The PS1 will save you £200, and provide a lot more fun.

Because the visual difference between the two actually affected gameplay, and certainly justifies the price. In addition to the shift in games that produced new experiences; the huge open end environment of GTA, cinematics of MGS, art direction of Ico... somehow, super glossy polygons hasn't captivated me as much as it has some of you.

Oh yeah, why would I get one anyway with 99% back compat with the PS2?

Just playing devil's advocate here, because as good ol' Peter Moore has confirmed, only your die hard gaming addicts who want a fresh bit of console or tech are getting the 36 atm.

That's an exaggeration Toothy, but it's interesting to see them apparently abandoning their "games for everyone" approach. Either they think Nintendo have that market sewn up or they're just not seeing enough profits from it.

From biz.gamedaily.com:

Sony: We've Got the Real 1080p

In the wake of yesterday's 1080p news from Microsoft, Sony has responded by downplaying the Xbox 360 upgrade. Sony also said it is "unfortunate" that the upcoming HD DVD player for 360 won't improve gaming on the console. [update: Microsoft responds]

Yesterday we reported on Microsoft's HD DVD plans (in Japan) and the somewhat surprising news that with the fall software update the Xbox 360 will be 1080p capable.

Many industry observers have viewed these moves by Microsoft simply as "me too" announcements. Sony has invested a lot in the PlayStation 3 and Blu-ray, and you can bet their marketing team will soon be emphasizing the Blu-ray functionality and 1080p output. Microsoft surely doesn't want to be buried by all this talk, and so they can now claim to have a high-definition movie player and 1080p output as well—at least that seems to be the general thinking.

So what is Sony's reaction to this latest Microsoft news? Brian Crecente of the popular Kotaku blog heard from Dave Karraker, senior director for corporate communications at Sony Computer Entertainment America, who harped on the fact that the HD DVD player won't improve the gaming experience on the 360 (MS still insists it won't be used for games).

"It's unfortunate that Microsoft's external HD-DVD drive will not enhance the experience at all for the gamer," said Karraker. "Sony realizes that to truly take gaming into the next generation requires a larger data format for both games and movies. PS3 uses the Blu-ray format for gaming, giving developers 50 GB of high-definition storage on a single disc, while Microsoft's 9 GB DVD gaming format is an obstacle for storing HD content."

As for Microsoft's 1080p announcement, Karraker noted that the software update still doesn't enable true HD on the Xbox 360. "Furthermore, Microsoft's announced HD games patch is really just a compatibility feature -- upscaling lower-resolution content does not make it Full HD (1080p), something that PS3 can do out of the box," he said.

[uPDATE] After getting word of Sony's comments Microsoft told GameDaily BIZ that contrary to the SCEA statement, "The facts are that with this software update, video and game content developed for 1080p will be output at 1080p -- native, not upscaled. Only content developed for lower resolutions will be upscaled."

:)

That's an exaggeration Toothy, but it's interesting to see them apparently abandoning their "games for everyone" approach.

It seems that Peter Moore has more power than I gave him credit for.