rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Quexex

The HD/Blu-ray Thread

Waste of money.

I've got Sky HD.

I've got DVD

The leap from DVD to hddvd aint worth it.

Dvd is fine, more than fine, its brilliant.

Sky HD is poor mans HD in all honesty (not in the monetary way naturally :) ). The difference between Sky HD and HD-DVD is vast. Sky HD i can pick holes in all day long, movies esp are nothing special and not much above a DVD + Scaler. HD-DVD is in a diff league and its hard to find fault - infact the only fault i could see was the boot up time !

Most people who have a HDTV now must have invested around the £1000 mark or more. So £200 to use your TV to it's full potential must be worth it.

Most people spent much less on the Sammy screens and even less on the no branded screens etc. The amount of goodmans and brands i didnt know existed screens i see when repairing the pc is staggering.

I think in that cass the 200/400 investment is actually alot.

What i still dont get is how people are seriously going to buy the 360 drive when the unit is as loud as it is. Having the 360 fans on in a film is not an option, maybe if the revised kit is silent it could be. But then i fully expect the 360 hd-dvd will be wank compared to even the cheapest standalone player.

I agree the 360 is damn noisey when you're playing a game, but otherwise it's really not that bad. Louder than a proper DVD player sure, but not enough to be annoying. Especially once you have the sound going.

Yet you bought an HD screen and pay for Sky HD every month? I can understand people without an HD set to be apathetic about HD-DVD / BR but for someone who has forked out a substantial amount of money on a TV, surely you want to get the most out of it?

Because watching a lot of sport on SD on a 42" tv is shit.

Sky HD makes it looks so much better.

HDDVD simply isnt a big enough leap on from DVD.

Sky HD is poor mans HD in all honesty (not in the monetary way naturally :) ). The difference between Sky HD and HD-DVD is vast. Sky HD i can pick holes in all day long, movies esp are nothing special and not much above a DVD + Scaler. HD-DVD is in a diff league and its hard to find fault - infact the only fault i could see was the boot up time !

When they actually start brodacasting proper HD versions of films then its worth it. At the momnent its just upscaled shit.,

I've got a premium 360, £280. That's paid for, taken care of, end of story. I bought it only for the games. If I want the HD-DVD add on when it launches, my only concern is the £200. I won't be looking back and thinking "Christ, this has cost me £480 in total. I could have a PS3 for that."

You can't do that because there was no option for HD-DVD at the time we all bought our 360s. Once the add on is out then it's time for MS to sort their pricing out and offer the two as a viable package vs the PS3.

Waste of money.

I've got Sky HD.

I've got DVD

The leap from DVD to hddvd aint worth it.

Dvd is fine, more than fine, its brilliant.

You haven't seen HD-DVD, have you? Pisses all over Sky 'HD', and shafts standard DVD good and hard.

Judging by the 360's ungreat DVD playback I wouldn't expect much from this.

What i still dont get is how people are seriously going to buy the 360 drive when the unit is as loud as it is.

Not that I plan to get one given the price, but what makes you so sure it's going to use the fans? Why can't it run like it does in the dash, or when playing an Xbox game?

It's so clear that it seems 3D. If a proper HD-DVD is better than this then I'll be beside myself!

seriously its not that good. i watch BBC HD all the time and yes its nice, but most people wouldn't see a massive difference.

Well, that may be so.. but this Xmas is where the userbase will skyrocket.

there's no reason ( apart from the PS3 launch ) that they can't put it on sale in February or March.

Indeed, there isn't. I don't get your point. If they launch it before New Year, that means it will be on sale in February and March. But it also comes with the added bonus that people who want one for Christmas can get one.

Like me.

Silly questions alert - If HD movies became available on the xbox live marketplace would they be they same quality as a HD-DVD/BR disc ? If so, would this mean that in the near future the actual drives will not be needed in consoles to play HD movies. If this is the case, I'm not sure what the fuss is about having a HD-DVD/BR drive, I'll just hang onto my DVD's and wait for the HD movies to be available to download Ipod style.

BTW is there anyting in the works as far as MS/Sony are concerned with regards to downloadable movies via their respective online services.

When they actually start brodacasting proper HD versions of films then its worth it. At the momnent its just upscaled shit.,

They do already, some is upscaled but lots is HD - Sin City + LOTR being the best examples - still not a patch on true HD-DVD films. Sky simply do not have anywhere near the bandwidth that HD-DVD runs at.

Not that I plan to get one given the price, but what makes you so sure it's going to use the fans? Why can't it run like it does in the dash, or when playing an Xbox game?

Im talking about when its in the dash or in the terrible dvd mode. Its still far too noisy for films.

seriously its not that good. i watch BBC HD all the time and yes its nice, but most people wouldn't see a massive difference.

BBC HD is generally better than Sky HD but still not as good as HD-DVD.

Because decoding a HD-DVD stream takes a lot of CPU & GPU power, plenty more than for DVD, so those fans will have to work overtime.

The file size would be pretty huge and then 360 hard drive is very small.

jesus. downloadable HD content is MS's trump card. infact i would wager its MS's trojan horse.

do you think thoses drives are removable no reason? pretty easy to upgrade when they are plug and play.

jesus. downloadable HD content is MS's trump card. infact i would wager its MS's trojan horse.

do you think thoses drives are removable no reason? pretty easy to upgrade when they are plug and play.

But a HD to cater for downloadable HD content will have to be huge, and judging by the extra price a mere 20gig hard drive put on the premium pack, how much would a bigger hard drive cost?

MS will have bigger drives sooner rather than later.

Yes, but at what cost? The current 360 hard drive is £65 on Play and it's 20gig. A decent size for storing HD content must surely be 300gig to avoid having to constantly delete stuff. How much will that cost?

Hmmm, it's not ideal is it? That said, it's the only time they can get away with it. The vast majority of people don't own a HDTV, so the decision to release the 360 at the price they did was the right one. It allows those who are interested in HD to buy a HD player for only £200, and those who haven't got a HDTV or have any interest in one to not have to pay through the nose for something they won't use.

I think it's an ugly add-on though, and a sub £200 price point would have been ideal.

I simply cannot see Microsoft's thinking with releasing an add on HD-DVD player that isn't attached to the 360 console apart from by a video cable. I mean, why would anyone buy it? You have two separate boxes, console and DVD player, both having to be plugged in and switched on at the same time, both having to be connected to each other by a presumably messy cable, and add on top of that the infuriating fan noise of the console. The 360 can't charge the controller without a fan, let alone play HD video.

So back to the point I was making; why buy this when you could wait about six months until some reasonably priced cheap brand dedicated HD-DVD units are released - which, judging by Microsoft's poor performance in the DVD playback field - will likely be superior to Xbox 360's HD playback quality. It's not like you're getting the convenience or neatness of an all-in one - you still have to buy an extra machine, and with a standalone player, the only thing you'd have to connect it to is the back of your telly. None of this daisychaining rubbish.