The HD/Blu-ray Thread

Quexex

I guess they wanted to have a "light side" and a "dark side" cover. The Vader one makes some sense given that he's arguably the most important character in the series, but seeing Obi Wan squeezed off into a corner by Yoda's giant face is ridiculous. Surely it should've been Obi Wan/Anakin on I-III, Vader/Luke in IV-VI?

My UK Blu-Ray/DVD combos of Laputa and My Neighbours The Yamadas turned up today. Optimum have renumbered them, so that Laputa now has a number 3 on the spine and Yamadas has number 4, where they were 6 and 12 before on the DVD releases. This is annoying me more than it ought to.

Ponyo and Nausicaa have both had BD releases and they are both brilliant transfers. I'm confident that all other Ghibli releases will be treated just the same.

Thank you so much for alerting me to the Nausicaa BD, I just checked for Cagliostro, Totoro and Whisper of the Heart then gave up on Ghibli stuff.

Momentum appear to have fucked up the UK release of The King's Speech.

It's a 1080i/50hz job.

Dickheads.

Also can't believe that EIV are still releasing MPEG-2 titles,(London Boulevard).

Erk - hope they don't do they same to The Fighter :wacko:

Anyway, I just looked on Amazon and The Incredibles is down for 27th of June. This makes me happy.

I saw that! Just after I started collecting the BD set of Pixar movies as well, now we just need a Nemo announcement and we're sorted.

The BR of Solaris will be released on the Tuesday after next in the States. It appears to make mincemeat of the current Artificial Eye transfer, but Criterion might have done better still by upping the bit-rate and moving most of the extras to a second disc - still, screencaps can lie:

3.jpg

Artificial Eye

large_solaris_blu-ray_3.jpg

Criterion BR

7.jpg

large_solaris_blu-ray_7.jpg

large_solaris_blu-ray_1x.jpg

large_solaris_blu-ray_6x.jpg

large_solaris_blu-ray_8x.jpg

The Solaris BR is region A locked, but the forthcoming American edition of The Sacrifice should be without any such restrictions. Shipping on the 5th July:

81VYzUFiGmL_AA1500_.jpg

Hmm... slightly unconvinced by those Solaris screencaps, Hulot, but I guess I'll find out soon enough as my copy shipped yesterday.

For anyone who was hovering indecisively over the Optimum BD release of The Man Who Fell To Earth, having braved the offputting packaging and got round to watching it I have to give it a hearty recommendation. The transfer is first rate, and although I haven't seen the now-unavailable Criterion I can't see how it could be noticeably better. It certainly looks much finer than when I saw it at the flicks. The extras are few, but quite engaging. Definitely worth a purchase, as you can pick it up for £11-odd at Amazon.co.uk.

Just watched Taxi Driver, and thought the transfer was really good. Although it did make spotting that the mohawk was a wig very easy in some scenes.

Was it? I always thought it was genuine (seems rather non-method otherwise). I've even seen the film at the flicks and not noticed.

Black Swan tomorrow. I wonder if it's even worth traipsing to HMV to see if they have it on the shelf at an approaching-reasonable price. I had a look for Laputa last week and it was £28, so I'm betting not. I don't know why I don't simply pre-order everything I want from Amazon.

Was it? I always thought it was genuine (seems rather non-method otherwise). I've even seen the film at the flicks and not noticed.

Yeah, there's a talk by the guy who made it on the making of (which I watched after my post). The extras are extensive but I found them worth watching. The making of has a nice section about the final showdown covering all the technical elements involved, and how they did the frozen aerial shot.

Black Swan tomorrow. I wonder if it's even worth traipsing to HMV to see if they have it on the shelf at an approaching-reasonable price. I had a look for Laputa last week and it was £28, so I'm betting not. I don't know why I don't simply pre-order everything I want from Amazon.

I saw the exact same thing, went looking for Laputa, £28? They are having a laugh!

Still haven't bit the bullet and ordered it online yet though either, £15-odd on amazon. Has anyone seen it anywhere cheaper?

Ooooooooooh. L'Atalante on Bluray would be lovely. I really need to get a multi-region player.

Anyway! Anyone know why Enter the Void seemingly hasn't been released on Bluray in the UK/Ireland? I've tried all the usual online stores, but there's no sign of it. The DVD is there, in stock, but nary a whiff of a Bluray copy. Odd.

Either Warner Bros. made a rather silly error in a press release or they've gone mental. Their press release for the Japanese live action movie of Gantz has it down as a 3 disc set containing BD, DVD and HD DVD. Or maybe it's a stunt to make people take a bit of notice of what's probably a shit film.

Although not a patch on the anime, I thought Gantz was okay.

Certainly better than some of the shite masquerading as entertainment, that has slipped out of Japan recently.

Tried to watch Goemon the other night. Stunning blu-ray, but what a load of old shit it was.

Should have known, coming from the chap that made Casshern.

August:

576_box_348x490.jpg

On DVD only: an Eclipse set of five films by Koreyoshi Kurehara (Intimidation; The Warped Ones; I Hate But Love; Black Sun and Thirst for Love).

Oh man Secret Sunshine I remember watching it about 3 years ago, its really a very depressing movie.

Pi is getting a French blu-ray release on 1st June. Reading a couple of forums, it sounds like there's a high chance of it having forced french subtitles though :( Wonder if it will ever get a UK release.