Quexex

The HD/Blu-ray Thread

On 06/08/2018 at 13:30, cassidy said:

Superb little ghost story that one is. 

Agreed and one that does not get mentioned very often.

Trailer:

On 22/09/2017 at 00:08, Sabreman said:

Maybe I'm the only one who cares, but Friedkin's Sorcerer is making its UK bloo debut soon (I'm pretty sure it's never had a home release over here):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sorcerer-Blu-ray/dp/B075SL1YN1?tag=bluraycom-21

The movie is superb, a remake that's better than the original as far as I'm concerned.

Nowhere near better, but a wonderful film in its own right.

I prefer it. I might struggle to argue it's better objectively, but Sorcerer's blend of 70s bleakness, Tangerine Dream synth and jaw-dropping practical effects make it utterly fabulous to me. 

The original being The Wages of Fear, right?

Great movies - I think I must have seen Sorcerer first, because I remember that soundtrack.

9 hours ago, Treble said:

I prefer it. I might struggle to argue it's better objectively, but Sorcerer's blend of 70s bleakness, Tangerine Dream synth and jaw-dropping practical effects make it utterly fabulous to me. 

It is utterly fabulous. It’s a perfect lesson in sumptuous film-making.

It can’t match the original for the examination and suspense of the journey, though - and Friedkin chooses to strip the ‘assassin’ character of any real meaning, most likely just for sake of time due to his alternative character building (which I love, by the way). He creates some issues with this when compared to The Wages of Fear, and that in particular is a real misstep in my view.

Of course, Friedkin wouldn’t consider it a remake anyway.

Neither would I, as it's not one ;) They're both adaptations of the same novel. 

I remember in Easy Riders, Raging Bulls, Siskind recounts a tale where supposedly Friedkin invited Clouzot to a screening (the first? Can't remember) and fauned all over him, calling him 'master' with Clouzot lapping it up like a massive narcissist.

Neither of them come out well from that particular anecdote, but as most stuff in that stuff is meant to be bollocks, I choose to ignore it :)

Absolutely no idea if they're any good, but Third Window's blu-ray release of Osamu Tezuka's Animerama: 1001 Nights / Cleopatra is currently 14.99 on Amazon.