Quexex

The HD/Blu-ray Thread

Which is exactly why I'm not sure that price is right, they've said for a long time the price combined will be cheaper than a PS3. Admittedly them bundles are but that is a bit harsh on the early adopters.

So everyone complains that the PS3 costs £425, but nobody cares that the combined cost of the 360 premium plus HD-DVD drive is actually more expensive?

Unlike Sony, Microsoft are not foring you to buy a HD-DVD/BR drive with the console.

Just want to play games? Then the 360 is still shitloads cheaper, and available now.

So everyone complains that the PS3 costs £425, but nobody cares that the combined cost of the 360 premium plus HD-DVD drive is actually more expensive?

*SIGH*

Well done. You won the predictable response award.

One, the bundle may actually be cheaper than 425, and two, this is the important but, ITS FUCKING OPTIONAL.

I dont want blue-ray or hd-dvd, but at least with microsoft you can pick up a player seperately at a later time if you want.

I always have considered myself as an early adopter, but the blu-ray / hd-dvd war really has me on the fence.

for one thing, I don't want to have to purchase two players (1600usd) since some of the studios have taken sides and are supported one format or the other and second, if I had to pick only one, I don't want to end up with the one that ends up being the "loser" of the bunch.

however, having looked at products from both camps, if I did have to pick a single format to support, I think it would be hd-dvd from the stand point of being able to accommodate 2 video steams at the same time (makes for some nice picture-in-picture bonus stuff like visual commentary!) as well as the fact that blu-ray appears to be cropping the images by about 3% and hitting the menu button has you staring at a flipping hourglass icon for a few seconds while the player decides what it needs to do.

There's no way I'm paying 2 or 3 times more for DVDs just because they're in HD.

Ehhh since when where hd-dvd's £42 ???

New releases on dvd are generally £12.99 + and lots being £14.99, mates are importing discks for under £25 delivered so no way are they 2 or 3 times more expensive.

Well unless you mean bargain basement old movies ?

Also my TV has a DVI-D connection, no HDMI, so as far as I can understand it I'm basically screwed by the HD-DVD / Blu-ray copy protection. :)

Not until 2011 or something and even then they might not bother with it.

EDIT: Actually no, is that just for the down-scaling thing?

Not until 2011 or something and even then they might not bother with it.

EDIT: Actually no, is that just for the down-scaling thing?

What down-scaling thing? :) Does the player downscale the movies to SD for non-compatible TV's or something?

I thought there was some wierd HDCP copy protection thing where your TV had to support a later version of the HDMI protocol or it wouldn't play HD-DVD / Blu-Ray movies without the player getting an authentication code from the TV.

I don't understand any of this. :)

*SIGH*

Well done. You won the predictable response award.

One, the bundle may actually be cheaper than 425, and two, this is the important but, ITS FUCKING OPTIONAL.

I dont want blue-ray or hd-dvd, but at least with microsoft you can pick up a player seperately at a later time if you want.

Oh yeah I understand that it's optional. But considering the PS3 also has a bigger hard drive, the fact remains that if you want to upgrade, and it seems a lot of people here do, then the PS3 offers better value for money. Which is why I can't understand the same people moaning that the PS3 is oh so expensive will happily buy an ugly add on for the 360 which will cost more then the PS3 in total.

The PS3 is good value if you want a next gen. games console and a BR player. If you want just a games machine, it's way over priced. That's the way I see it. Anyway, hopefully we'll get an official price soon, until then it's just speculation.

Considering that the 360 HD-DVD is connected but not attached, nope.

Oh yeah I understand that it's optional. But considering the PS3 also has a bigger hard drive, the fact remains that if you want to upgrade, and it seems a lot of people here do, then the PS3 offers better value for money. Which is why I can't understand the same people moaning that the PS3 is oh so expensive will happily buy an ugly add on for the 360 which will cost more then the PS3 in total.

A bigger hard drive? Ok, if they show much use for it- my 360 one does nothing but hold demos I get bored of in 10 minutes thats besides the point.

You use the word if, which implies choice, and in sony's case, there is none. Its blueray, or fuck off.

People are moaning because to play the PS3, base pack minimum- 350 quid. To play the 360, as little as 199, if high def movies mean fuck all to you, you have to pay for the people who will get it. Ah well. They might want an ugly add on now because they want HD-DVD now. As it is, Microsoft beat Sony to the UK in terms of HD playing content, and it wasnt a factored cost when they bought their 360's. The way they look at it, they're buying a hd-dvd player for less than 200 quid rather than having to wait till march with the better sum of 500. Like I said, I dont want either, and begrudgingly Ill end up using blueray because its simply built in, but if I had the choice of buying the ps3 for 299 without it, Id tell it to fuck off.

I'll buy one at that price for sure. And people moaning about needing to replace their collections are talking rubbish. It's not like DVD perishes like VHS, DVD will still look good, just not very very good like HD-DVD. So what, buy one more player that plays both your old and new discs, and buy new discs from now on? Oh Noes!

I would assume that a lot of people /wouldn't/ want to upgrade and for most people it won't be a difference between blu-ray and HD-DVD, it'll be the difference between one game console vs. another.

Toshiba have announced their HD-DVD drives: the E1 €599 and XE1 at €899, for November/December. So, comparatively, the Xbox360+HD-DVD drive seems quite competitive, but then I guess it depends on the capabilities - DTS HD MA, DD True HD, 1080P etc. Are there any more details on the specs?

the 360 mission statement does seem to be about choice. i find it hard to believe people are complaining about the option to have HD DVD on their 360. you don't want it, don't buy it.

pretty simple, huh?

having said that i hate the idea of a fugly plug-in HD drive, i won't be buying one. i think MS need a luxary model that is an all in one unit that retails for £50 less than the PS3. you only need a HD-DVD for playing movies afterall.

suppose its not bad if you already own a xbox 360. But to be honest im gonna wait this one out - i was an early-ish adopter of DVD and prices fell steaply after a year or two. I have a HDTV but im not in too much of a rush to go out and buy a load of movies just to have better resolution.

That's the whole problem with HD movies. The move from VHS to DVD was a huge leap; far superior and noticable improved picture quality, no more rewinding tapes, no more degrading tapes, no more wobbly images that went B&W or noisy or showed glitches but a super crisp steady picture with the ease of a CD.

Now you basically get the same but then in a higher resolution.

Which is great ofcourse, but not worth paying loads of money for unless there's a big supply of good cheap movies.

To be honest, I dont even need dvds.

I use the 360 as a wireless media player. I stream divx, xvid, dvd iso's without having to burn them, and occasionaly a downloaded hd movie from usenet, but its nice having 200 gigs of media that streams to my big hdtv at the touch of a button. That use of the 360 is worth more to me than a hd dvd drive.

Waste of money.

I've got Sky HD.

I've got DVD

The leap from DVD to hddvd aint worth it.

Dvd is fine, more than fine, its brilliant.

Yet you bought an HD screen and pay for Sky HD every month? I can understand people without an HD set to be apathetic about HD-DVD / BR but for someone who has forked out a substantial amount of money on a TV, surely you want to get the most out of it?

Dumb fucks should be concentrating on getting more 360's out rather than diluting the message with HD-DVD bundles. People seeing that might think fuckit for 50 quid-ish more I can have me a PS3 in a few months.

Yes.

Unfortunately, they wont be able to find any!

Yet you bought an HD screen and pay for Sky HD every month? I can understand people without an HD set to be apathetic about HD-DVD / BR but for someone who has forked out a substantial amount of money on a TV, surely you want to get the most out of it?

I think he is saying he can get his hd movie fix from sky movies and anything else from dvd's. There no need to "justify" your hdtv. Running games in 720p is already great, but I paid 950 quid for 50 inches and hdtv was a lovely bonus to that.