Quexex

The HD/Blu-ray Thread

Pretty pricey imo -

The Premium Xbox 360 won’t benefit from a price cut this Christmas - but instead a HD-DVD and console package is due, spearheading a marketing drive of console bundles available from November.

Retail sources have indicated to GamesIndustry.biz that Microsoft is currently planning to price the standalone HD-DVD drive at GBP 199 (293 Euro), and to package it with two HD-DVD movies. The sources also suggested that Microsoft will bundle the Premium console and next-generation movie player together for under GBP 400 (589 Euro) – and that the price could even be as low as GBP 375 (552 Euros).

Next-generation movie support is considered a unique selling point of the PlayStation 3, but Microsoft’s HD-DVD bundle could retail around GBP 50 (74 Euro) cheaper than Sony’s machine, which features the rival Blu-ray movie format.

ripped from EuroGamer

Pretty pricey imo - premium + hddvd drive = £480

Cheap though really,isnt it?

These standalone HD DVD BLUE RAY players are pretty pricey.

Should have launched with some such anyway if they feel the need for an add on but its all relative to the market its aimed at no?

Cheap though really,isnt it?

These standalone HD DVD BLUE RAY players are pretty pricey.

Should have launched with some such anyway if they feel the need for an add on anyway but its all relative to the market its aimed at no?

see my edit I noticed that they are bundling the Premium and HDDVD drive for £400 or less, yes cheap for a HDDVD player.

Dumb fucks should be concentrating on getting more 360's out rather than diluting the message with HD-DVD bundles. People seeing that might think fuckit for 50 quid-ish more I can have me a PS3 in a few months.

Dumb fucks should be concentrating on getting more 360's out rather than diluting the message with HD-DVD bundles. People seeing that might think fuckit for 50 quid-ish more I can have me a PS3 in a few months.

Witha bigger HDD, Wifi, memory card reader and HDMI port as well - If the reports fo HDMI cables costing $100 on the 360 it could be quite a saving - if your after tha kind of thing.

Good news IMO. The HD-DVD movies have been getting better reviews quality wise than blu-ray. So before Christmas it's a Wii and a HD-DVD player. Cool. mmmmmm new stuff!

Bit more than I would of liked to have paid but assuming it does the job I'll be picking one up. Presumably this is still speculation though at this point?

Good news IMO. The HD-DVD movies have been getting better reviews quality wise than blu-ray. So before Christmas it's a Wii and a HD-DVD player. Cool. mmmmmm new stuff!

true if you have a 360 already for the cost of a PS3 you can much in the way of new toys - shame I can only affored a Wii!

Nah, Goatie. The 360 will have been out for almost a year by the time this player hits the market.

Well, that may be so.. but this Xmas is where the userbase will skyrocket.

there's no reason ( apart from the PS3 launch ) that they can't put it on sale in February or March.

FUCK HD.

I'm not replacing my dvd collection for the inevitable HD versions...

Just wait until you see the same films in HD :wacko:

Seriously i will replace a few faves but just bu new films in HD format.

Well hopefully the HD-DVD playback from this thing will be a bit better than the standard DVD playback on the 360 which looks a bit like watching a VCD on a CD32.

Also my TV has a DVI-D connection, no HDMI, so as far as I can understand it I'm basically screwed by the HD-DVD / Blu-ray copy protection. :wacko:

Wow... all those acronyms...

Yeah, they're going to be expensive on release- just like everything really. DVDs were £20+ when they first came out remember :wacko:

I'll hold out until next year sometime when the box and the discs are a little cheaper, I'm happy playing HD films from the newsgroups through WMC for now.