rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
The Liberal Elite

Exciting Wiitails

That isn't any kind of argument. So if there was a better package that would make the standard Playstation which was a massive worldwide success, a shit console?

I'm buying a games machine, not a computer and I don't care for online gaming. I don't need a headset or a HD connector.

Just because there is a version with more features doesn't make the core redundant as it still plays the same games.

Ummmmmm...The Wii is perfect because I don't want an extra controller. I just want one. Plus the only game I will ever want is Wii Sports.

Yay! :(

That's the basics of what the 360 offers for the smallest amount of outlay, and that's £285, give or take a few pence.

Bullshit, I can walk into Tesco and walk out with a Core pack and Test Drive for £220.

Plus there are other offers doing the rounds.

I could pick up mem card online for £10-15

So that's £235.

It's more about the extra controller/game pushing the total cost beyond that £200 price point.

The bundle is perfect for Christmas, though, IMO.

Parents get the console, a controller and a game out of the box.

The kids can then use their Christmas money for extras afterwards. I think it would do very nicely...were it not for the late release.

They can hardly complain if we all also take stock of the global picture and import the machines from cheaper regions, then.

you'll be lucky to ge an import machine for less than £180 taking into account courier fees and import duty.

No! How could you say that.

Wii Sports is...is...is a bloody tech demo! I don't give two hoots if it's a game that looks great fun! It's a filthy tech demo.

Unless it's got a perfectly Roger Federer it's no good for me.

The PS1 T-Rex thing was a tech demo. Wii Sports is a game.

Sorry, but you're completely overlooking the fact that the Xbox 360 core pack is artificially priced - to actually get any use out of the machine you're looking at another £20 or so for a memory unit, and then £40 on top of that for a Live subscription, plus another (at least) £25 for one of the older games.

But you don't *need* a live Gold subscription. The majority of people buying Wii won't play online (and there's nothing coming out immediately which would require them to), the memory card - I'll give you that, but you can buy Cores with two games from Toys R Us for £200.

...and then £40 on top of that for a Live subscription...

I watched my gold subscription expire and didn't blink an eye. A Gold Live subscription hasn't impacted my enjoyment of the 360 one jot, and with silver offering all the marketplace stuff, you can really knock £40 off that total.

Bullshit, I can walk into Tesco and walk out with a Core pack and Test Drive for £220.

Plus there are other offers doing the rounds.

I could pick up mem card online for £10-15

So that's £235.

And you'll miss out on the main feature of TDU the fact it's a MMOR - decide - maybe I'll get live, think damn I need a headset to talk back, realise you need a HDD for the downloadable content and spend closer to £400

' date='Sep 15 2006, 03:19 PM' post='3405367']

So why announce you were buying a 360?

Oblivion, Dead Rising, Saints Row, PES 6, GoW...

£180 is a joke! So much for the Wii being the first console I buy at launch. Unless I get a decent import deal.

£179 is a bit on the steep side considering the Wii is just a jazzed up Gamecube, but the real shocker here is that it's almost £45 for the remote & nunchuck!! :(

Shocking.

(I'll probably still get one though. Nintendo, you are complete bastards.)

Shit, that's expensive. Esp. considering that second controller is going to be near essential.

£179 is a bit on the steep side considering the Wii is just a jazzed up Gamecube, but the real shocker here is that it's almost £45 for the remote & nunchuck!! :(

That's not true, is it? Please tell me it's not over £40 for a fully functioning controller. £35 MAXIMUM for remote and nunchuk, surely?

wii sports could be the next tetris - if nintendo play it right.

shame they have priced nearer to £200 than £150 though.

depends how you look at it. who here wasn't gonna get wii sports? i know i was. so even if the machine was £150 i'd still have to pay £35 or whatever for that.

Ummmmmm...The Wii is perfect because I don't want an extra controller. I just want one. Plus the only game I will ever want is Wii Sports.

Yay! :(

Wii sports was the game born for another controller. All the big demos have been of multiplayer fun. Bundling it with tennis but not an extra controller is kinda cynical. Imagine buying the sonic 2 megadrive pack with only one controller. I thought nintendo wanted to go back to those days.

That's not true, is it? Please tell me it's not over £40 for a fully functioning controller. £35 MAXIMUM for remote and nunchuk, surely?

Looks like it -> £14.99 for nunchuk + £29.99 for remote

No mention of an RGB scart accessory :(

Yeah, that's a concern. If it's a choice of composite or component then I might have to wait, because I'm still using a SD set and I don't really want to go any lower than RGB, that's the snobbery line for me. Still, fingers crossed.

£180 is a joke!

You're thinking of £911.

So... £180. Sounds about right, given it's got a lot of bespoke technology in it.

The controller price seems a joke IMO given half the interesting games need the nunchuck, but it's not like every Wii owner will buy four of them. And I'll be more inclined to take my own Miitroller over to someone's house given it stores all my gaming fun on it. Heck, I might not even get a Wii and I'll get a Miitroller for playing at the inevitable meets, etc.

Not the best price in the world, but the launch should give Microsoft the kick up the arse they so clearly need this Christmas.

I didn't say that sales tax was 17.5% in the US, I just meant that you would have to add that to the sales-tax-free US price to get a valid comparison to the UK price, becuase sales tax is 17.5% here.

And I didn't accuse you of that, I added the US sales tax on to illustrate what the average US customer will be paying in comparison.

Be interesting to compare the street price with the rest of europe and list the sales tax rates there.

Actually it wouldn't, I suspect people either want the machine or not , so for the first few million they might as well cash in, £180's a decent price as it stands, it's only in comparison to other countries and other machines that you can start picking holes.

Shocking.

(I'll probably still get one though. Nintendo, you are complete bastards.)

That is shocking, actually. I suppose the thinking is that not many people will be needing both a second Remote AND a second nunchuk with the machine - most multiplayer modes in the first gen software will use just the one or the other, I'd guess- with the Wiimote/Nunchuk combo being more of an in-depth singleplayer thing.

I'd have preferred the American price to translate here, if I'm honest - £20 for a Remote, £10 for a Nunchuk would have brought the complete control setup out at a very respectable near £30 price point. Then again, this is the console release, and all prices are slightly hiked so they can eventually fall to an acceptable, more affordable price when the machine gets established.

Also, Nintendo hates us. :(

Well come on, it certainly doesn't cost anywhere near that to make and Nintendo themselves have even said they're making profit on consoles sold from day one.

It's only a what, 800mhz ish CPU? And 512mb RAM or whatever. Not even any DVD playback.

Bastards!

My thoughts.

I'm really looking forward to Wii Sports. This is because here's a bunch of games I can play with other people/family members who wouldn't normally be interested. Yes it's a cliche but playing with others is always more fun than on your tod.

As for the price, a bit more than I was expecting, but it's not too bad. Controllers are expensive, but it's a nice touch bundling that WiiPlay in with the remotes.

Can't wait to see if the Message Board/calendar, Weather and News channel stuff really does encourage other family members to switch the thing on, although it most certainly will in our house, as it appears to be much more user friendly and snappy than Interactive TV. Also, I wonder who will supply the weather and News content?

Oh, and I can't wait for Zelda.

Roll on December.

Looks like it -> £14.99 for nunchuk + £29.99 for remote

Fuck off!

Furthermore, to those who're adding £40 automatically to the 360 price for Live - Surely you must add a minimum of £30 to Wii, in that case, as Wii Sports clearly isn't going to be the sort of thing you'll be getting much out of in single-player. If you're going to add £40 to the 360 for Live, I'll give the option of adding between £30 & £40 for Wii (for a proper single-player game or an additional controller) before it could possibly be considered a playable console.

i'm praying they do an rgb scart lead, or we can use the same one the Cube uses. i don't have an hd telly and i just can't put up with composite.

i'm surprised by lack of DVD support. the games come on DVD don't they, how hard can it be?

It's only a what, 800mhz ish CPU? And 512mb RAM or whatever. Not even any DVD playback.

AMAZING logic. It should obviously cost 30 quid less in that case.

:(