Exciting Wiitails

No, you've misunderstood me. My ''shit'' comment was in response to the thing about PS3 being an ''expensive toy''. If the PS3 is a ''toy'' all consoles are ''toys''.

As for the Wii, I don't think it's expensive. It's a wodge (bearing in mind you can buy a game with £35) higher than I was expecting but hey.

They are all toys, though, aren't they?

They certainly are in my eyes and, I expect, the eyes of the majority of people.

£180 is £50 too much for me. Certainly won't be getting one, which is a shame. There really is no reason the price couldn't be £160 even after VAT.

A 360 Core pack is only £20 more, and that's assuming they won't price cut it soon enough (and they probably will). I mean, as a contrast, a Gamecube was only £130 at launch, and I'd argue that at the time it was a much more impressive kit than the Wii is now.

I was convinced, I'm not convinced anymore. It's just too expensive, as are the purchasable back catalogue games (most of which I already own anyhow).

Edit: Also, apparently the Wii isn't region free. Nintendo of Europe are still absolute cunts, no way in hell am I buying one anytime soon.

£180 is £50 too much for me. Certainly won't be getting one, which is a shame. There really is no reason the price couldn't be £160 even after VAT.

A 360 Core pack is only £20 more, and that's assuming they won't price cut it soon enough (and they probably will). I mean, as a contrast, a Gamecube was only £130 at launch, and I'd argue that at the time it was a much more impressive kit than the Wii is now.

I was convinced, I'm not convinced anymore. It's just too expensive, as are the purchasable back catalogue games (most of which I already own anyhow).

As already stated, you would then need to buy extras for the 360 to make it playable (at least a memory card).

The Gamecube was listed as £150 before it was reduced £20 at the last second, which technically only makes it £30 cheaper than the wii and it didn't come with a game or the best controller ever (well, I suppose at the time it did)

I'm definately buying one. In fact, I may get two

Has it been posted that it isn't region free anymore? Nintendo are doomed!

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=67653

I think all these price comparisons aren't particularly valid to be honest. A Gamecube + memory card + game was more than the Wii bundle. And a 360 Core pack needs a memory card, a game, and a 50 fucking pound adaptor if you want to get online, not to mention Xbox Live costs. Wii is wifi out of the box, has a game, and doesn't need a memory card.

It really isn't that bad a price, it's just people worked themselves up into a frenzy with unrealistic expectations.

What the fuk is with that font size? You have issues.

And it's not wholly unplausible as scenarios go. If parents want to buy their kids the latest toy to keep them occupied this Christmas, and have a choice of two new consoles with a near £100 price difference, (that's Wii vs Core 360 with a game and memory card) it isn't unfeasible to see them going for the cheaper option.

£40 price difference if they go for one of the Core bundles doing the rounds in certain places. And you really need an additional controller to make the Wii Sports package worthwhile (or you need to buy a proper single player game) for more than a tiny amount of time, so the difference is immediately cancelled out.

Yeah, but I bought my GC at launch for £160 with a game I actually wanted to play (Super Monke Ball) and a memory card, and to be honest even then I felt a touch gyped. The Wii just feels a bit too expensive for not enough, innovative controller or not.

£50 cheaper and it would be a must buy. £20 cheaper and I certainly would have thought about it (and it least not felt ripped off). £180, for me, is just too much. And region free just makes me angry, frankly, as NOE treat us like crap.

Edit: Also, apparently the Wii isn't region free. Nintendo of Europe are still absolute cunts, no way in hell am I buying one anytime soon.

A 360 core pack isn't playable out of the box, though. You need to buy a game to go with it, and a memory card to save games onto. That's another £50 at LEAST before you've even gotten home. And if you want to get the most out of the system, you might as well upgrade from a £20 memory card to a £70 hard drive. All of a sudden you're looking at £300 for a 360, while a Wii is only £30 (the price of a dvd box set) over half that price.

That's just the way of the internet forum and Nintendo, isn't it?

Join us next time for another round of the The Nintendo Expectation Game!

How high can you push your expectations? How low can your price go? Build up your expectation points to ridiculous levels for a posting advantage our exciting finale: The Shattered Dreams Round!

Do you not think Nintendo have encouraged that with their repeated insistence that the Wii will be an affordable machine, at a 'price you'll like', and then launching at a price significantly in excess of their last console?

And did you really think for a second that if you want two controllers you'll have to stump up an extra £44?

What the fuk is with that font size? You have issues.

It was to make your name stand out EVEN MORE. I thought you'd like it. Sorry. :angry:

No not this. Or GameCube would have cleaned up last generation.

The GameCube didn't launch with a killer app, whereas Wii has Zelda.

The GameCube looked like a kid's toy, the Wii looks like a stylish piece of consumer electronics.

The GameCube was purely a games machine, the Wii has other functions.

The GameCube lacked online functionality from the get-go, Wii doesn't.

etc etc.

Despite remaining on the unconventional path, I don't think Nintendo are making the same mistakes with the Wii that they did with The Cube and N64.

A 360 core pack isn't playable out of the box, though. You need to buy a game to go with it, and a memory card to save games onto. That's another £50 at LEAST before you've even gotten home. And if you want to get the most out of the system, you might as well upgrade from a £20 memory card to a £70 hard drive. All of a sudden you're looking at £300 for a 360, while a Wii is only £30 (the price of a dvd box set) over half that price.

I don't want to play Wii sports, doesn't really interest me at all, so the Wii would be another £40 before I got home anyway. The true difference is probably about £30 overall. The 360 is more powerful, has more titles I want to play than the Wii and seems like a better bet in general - particularly considering you wouldn't have to deal with NOE. And that's assuming there isn't a 360 pricecut soon, which I'd bet money on.

Not that I'll be buying either anytime soon. To me £180 is too much. Simple as that.

Do I care for your opinion? Making the above post makes you appear a cunt, so we've conspired to create a double negative.

Stop being a cunt. No-one cares about your posts any more than the next so why add the shitty arrow?

You're not special you know

Yes, it's launching with a killer Game Cube app!!

The GameCube looked like a kid's toy, the Wii looks like a stylish piece of consumer electronics.

Agreed

Yes, it plays DVD's...erm

The GameCube lacked online functionality from the get-go, Wii doesn't

Agreed.

etc etc.

Despite remaining on the unconventional path, I don't think Nintendo are making the same mistakes with the Wii that they did with The Cube and N64.

etc etc.

Funny, the last generation all the Nintendo fans said those were the GameCubes STRONG points.

Also, the Wii doesn't play DVD's anymore:

""Because the price of DVD players has dropped so much and they have become so commonplace, Nintendo saw no need to create extra hardware options that would drive up the cost for consumers," a representative for the company told GameSpot."

Translate as: Nintendo saw no need to create extra hardware options that would decrease our margin."

Doesn't this really all depend on how good the wiimote is?

Because if it does was it says it does, then £180 really is a fair enough deal as far as I'm concerned.

I think Nintendo want to avoid being perceived as too cheap after the GC launch price failed to spark interest and are also taking advantage of the PS3's absence.

Still it should've been cheaper. But hey, at least we're getting it before christmas, folks!

I tell you what would've been a good bet - offering either Wii Sports or a genuine single-player game. The console with Wii Sports is pretty worthless without an extra controller, so if you don't have the extra outlay and/or someone else to play with, you'd still have a viable option at the same price point.

Do you not think Nintendo have encouraged that with their repeated insistence that the Wii will be an affordable machine, at a 'price you'll like', and then launching at a price significantly in excess of their last console?

And did you really think for a second that if you want two controllers you'll have to stump up an extra £44?

It was to make your name stand out EVEN MORE. I thought you'd like it. Sorry. :angry:

Dissing forum name's? Really? Is that the height of wit these days? I've used this name, presented in all caps, for as long as I can remember. It's nothing to do with wanting to stand out. Maybe originally when i started using it at the age of 14 or something, but now it's just habitual.

Writing it the way you did just made you sound snide and childish. Like a nine-year-olds attempt at sarcasm.

Stop being a cunt. No-one cares about your posts any more than the next so why add the shitty arrow?

You're not special you know

Clearly you think I'm special (whether that's wonderfully special or cuntishley special, there's really no difference) to have taken the time to become riled by it and to then point it out to me.

Edit:

It's habitual, something I have done for years ala ICECOLD's forum name. I cannot even begin to care about what faceless denizens of this forum think about something so utterly irrelevant.

I'm eagerly awaiting the part where Nintendo tell us how US Wii's won't work online over here so we've no choice but to suffer their comical exchange rate. Actually I suppose there still is a choice, if that happens there's no chance I'll be buying one.

etc etc.

Zelda is barely a killer app, however much Nintendo fans love playing it. Halo, GTA, etc... these are the killer apps of today.

Wii is purely a games machine. What's that? I can check the weather on it? YAY progress!

Wii's online functionality appears limited.

etc etc.

I will give you the Wii looks nicer. But so what? You're arguing about what parents will get their children at the moment. The GC was still a nice looking box.

The argument isn't going to float that a parent is going to buy a Wii over a 360 if a kid has a choice in the matter and wants a 360. Of course, the kid may want a Wii anyway, so all's groovy.

Dissing forum name's? Really? Is that the height of wit these days? I've used this name, presented in all caps, for as long as I can remember. It's nothing to do with wanting to stand out, it's just habitual.

Writing it the way you did just made it sound snide and childish.

Jesus man, calm down. If you want an ALL CAPS name, that's your prerogative. Why so defensive?