rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
The Liberal Elite

Exciting Wiitails

£179 with a game is quite a mass market price I think, especially as Wii sports is kind of 5 games in 1.

Yes, I would've prefered £150, but Nintendo's not our friend - they're a business. Remember Microsoft and Sony can afford to take a loss, because they have tons of other divisions they can fall back on. :(

Do you have any idea how much Nintendo have sitting in the bank, as gold reserves, etc?

Nintendo could drop $100 million on hardware losses and shrug it off. Hell, double it and it's not even close to being in financial trouble. Not financially prudent, obviously, but the company is minted.

My point exactly, at the same price as the GC's launch price [...]

That would be the Gamecube that didn't come with a game, though, and required a memory card. The Wii price would disappoint me if I wasn't interested in Wii sports, admittedly. But I am, so hurrah.

I agree, for some odd reason I look at something like £169.99 as a lot less than £170, I know it's stupid but I am sure you know what I mean.

Yes, funnily enough, advertising execs have been using that little trick for about 40 years.

Seriously guys, when everyone was saying £150 would be a really good price, we all thought there would be two controllers and possibly a game packed in.

We did? :(

So was the original Playstation half a console?

It never came with a hard drive or a wireless controller.

Bizarre logic you guys.

The original PlayStation didn't have a better package with a hard drive and a wireless controller.

The US price is quoted *without* sales tax, the UK price is quoted *with* VAT, so that £130 would be closer to £152.75 (ie add imaginary VAT to the US price) for a fairer comparison.

Depends where you are, some places it's 5%, some it's 8.25 and some it's 15% (California I think but can't be sure).

Even assuming an average of 10% the US are paying £143 and the Uk's £179, that said the exchange rate is liable to twist the differences out of proportion.

£180 and for once it will be literally plug n play. graphics? oh fuck off, who wasn't impressed by RE4 or Metroid prime 2, or Wind Waker, or thye forthcoming Twilight Princess. and wii has slightly better graphics than the Cube. no, it's all about the controller. that's why the DS beat the PSP ultimately. people are bored of better graphics that no one without a hd telly can even notice anway.

or in other words, it's a good price. if you don't want one then good all the more for the rest of us.

So...£150 is perfect but £180 is wildly off target!?

Are you that hard-up!?

It's more about the extra controller/game pushing the total cost beyond that £200 price point.

The original PlayStation didn't have a better package with a hard drive and a wireless controller.

and a headset and a HDTV connector :(

Depends where you are, some places it's 5%, some it's 8.25 and some it's 15% (California I think but can't be sure).

Even assuming an average of 10% the US are paying £143 and the Uk's £179, that said the exchange rate is liable to twist the differences out of proportion.

I didn't say that sales tax was 17.5% in the US, I just meant that you would have to add that to the sales-tax-free US price to get a valid comparison to the UK price, becuase sales tax is 17.5% here.

Re: the price - the pound is currently absurdly strong - it is unlikely to remain this strong for much longer. When it weakens it will eat into Nintendo's profits. Nintendo have doubtless factored this in to their pricing here in blighty. IMO £179 is just peachy.

While not unexpected after yesterday's announcements I'm still kinda disappointed with the PAL price. The 10 quid price hike between Euro and Pound can not be justified I have no idea why they're doing it.

I was one of those expecting it to launch for £149 with 2 controllers packed in, which kinda makes sense if you remember that the Gamecube launched for £129. Anyway, it's clear now that Nintendo has a lot of confidence in the Wii and they expect to sell out even at that higher price (which is still a good price, don't get me wrong).

At the end of the day, Nintendo will always sell for as much as they think they can get away with. So take it as a sign of confidence and it also gives them lots of room for price cuts for next christmas (or even sooner, if necessary).

I'll still import a US Wii though. :(

All I need to know is will it run GC games of all regions (or will freeloader work), if it does then I'll trade in the GC at the time of purchase as well.

Oh and when can we expect demo pods to start appearing in the shops.

Well I do have a child on the way, so I'm not exactly able to splash out how I might otherwise like....

But that's not relevant. As a matter of principle, I don't think the product offers good value, certainly not comparitively to the GameCube which launched with very similar tech at a much lower price in 2002. And it will be easily defeated by the 360 this Christmas as a result. I don't see many consumers, including kids (other than the very young), favouring Wii. They'll want their football games, their racing games and while they might like to play Wario Ware, leaving the Wii as a nice second choice, the price difference isn't such that many parents will go "aww...we simply cannot afford this Xbox so...." whereas if it had launched at a more reasonable £140-£150 that may just have been the case

Fair enough. If you can't afford the extra £30 don't buy it. I'm sure the price will fall eventually and you can pick one up then.

Personally, I'd like it to be £150 but I'm not too bothered about £180.

Thankfully, I'm not massively over concerned with 'tech', unlike yourself. To me the Wii looks like it will be great fun to play and I am desperate for something different. The 360, to me, looks like more, more, more of the same.

Maybe the Wii will be a letdown, I won't know until I try it. However, I'm hoping that it will feel like a new experience.

Parents couldn't care less which one it is, they just know little Johnny can play it on Christmas day. In fact, little Johnny has an online console which he can play out of the box on Christmas day,

I hate that little Johnny he gets all the cool stuff spoilt cunt!

Re: the price - the pound is currently absurdly strong - it is unlikely to remain this strong for much longer. When it weakens it will eat into Nintendo's profits. Nintendo have doubtless factored this in to their pricing here in blighty. IMO £179 is just peachy.

They can hardly complain if we all also take stock of the global picture and import the machines from cheaper regions, then.

Yeah I was just going to say, I'm sure the people who get paid to decide how much Nintendo's products cost do so with good reason.

Otherwise, you lot, get applying for a job at Nintendo's marketing dept!

"Dear Nintendo,

You have STUPIDLY overpirced the Wii. No one is going to buy it at that price. You should have priced it like this:

[...]

God, don't your marketing guys know ANYTHING? Give me a job,

Rllmuker"

Well I do have a child on the way, so I'm not exactly able to splash out how I might otherwise like....

But that's not relevant. As a matter of principle, I don't think the product offers good value, certainly not comparitively to the GameCube which launched with very similar tech at a much lower price in 2002. And it will be easily defeated by the 360 this Christmas as a result. I don't see many consumers, including kids (other than the very young), favouring Wii. They'll want their football games, their racing games and while they might like to play Wario Ware, leaving the Wii as a nice second choice, the price difference isn't such that many parents will go "aww...we simply cannot afford this Xbox so...." whereas if it had launched at a more reasonable £140-£150 that may just have been the case

Sorry, but you're completely overlooking the fact that the Xbox 360 core pack is artificially priced - to actually get any use out of the machine you're looking at another £20 or so for a memory unit, and then £40 on top of that for a Live subscription, plus another (at least) £25 for one of the older games.

That's the basics of what the 360 offers for the smallest amount of outlay, and that's £285, give or take a few pence. The Wii offers game saves, online connectivity and a game all at one hassle-free £179 price point - over £100 less than a 360. Add to that another £10 or £20 for a Wii Points card, and you've got a number of classics like Zelda: LTTP, Super Mario World and Mario 64 waiting to be downloaded too, bringing the total outlay for your average consumer on launch to a penny under £200.

That's not bad at all.

£180 and for once it will be literally plug n play. graphics? oh fuck off, who wasn't impressed by RE4 or Metroid prime 2, or Wind Waker, or thye forthcoming Twilight Princess. and wii has slightly better graphics than the Cube. no, it's all about the controller. that's why the DS beat the PSP ultimately. people are bored of better graphics that no one without a hd telly can even notice anway.

or in other words, it's a good price. if you don't want one then good all the more for the rest of us.

Well said. Spot on.

At £180, all they've served to do is alienate the sort of audience they captured with the DS and offer a unit completely and utterly lacking in the sort of games those who'll be buying 360s this year want to play.

This is my fear also

That isn't any kind of argument. So if there was a better package that would make the standard Playstation which was a massive worldwide success, a shit console?

I'm buying a games machine, not a computer and I don't care for online gaming. I don't need a headset or a HD connector.

Just because there is a version with more features doesn't make the core redundant as it still plays the same games.

Anyway, I thought of another pun:

It's goodnight from wii, and it's goodnight from him!

Sorry, but you're completely overlooking the fact that the Xbox 360 core pack is artificially priced - to actually get any use out of the machine you're looking at another £20 or so for a memory unit, and then £40 on top of that for a Live subscription, plus another (at least) £25 for one of the older games.

That's the basics of what the 360 offers for the smallest amount of outlay, and that's £285, give or take a few pence. The Wii offers game saves, online connectivity and a game all at one hassle-free £179 price point - over £100 less than a 360. Add to that another £10 or £20 for a Wii Points card, and you've got a number of classics like Zelda: LTTP, Super Mario World and Mario 64 waiting to be downloaded too, bringing the total outlay for your average consumer on launch to a penny under £200.

That's not bad at all.

No! How could you say that.

Wii Sports is...is...is a bloody tech demo! I don't give two hoots if it's a game that looks great fun! It's a filthy tech demo.

Unless it's got a perfectly Roger Federer it's no good for me.

£179 is a bit on the steep side considering the Wii is just a jazzed up Gamecube, but the real shocker here is that it's almost £45 for the remote & nunchuck!! :(

Shocking.

(I'll probably still get one though. Nintendo, you are complete bastards.)

Personally, I'd like it to be £150 but I'm not too bothered about £180.

But are you not slightly pissed that you're having to pay more for the Wii, than any other country in the world.

Christ in Belgium the VAT rate is 21 percent, and I'm still going to be paying less for it than you. How anyone in the UK can be chuffed with this price is beyond me.

That isn't any kind of argument. So if there was a better package that would make the standard Playstation which was a massive worldwide success, a shit console?

I'm buying a games machine, not a computer and I don't care for online gaming. I don't need a headset or a HD connector.

Just because there is a version with more features doesn't make the core redundant as it still plays the same games.

Ummmmmm...The Wii is perfect because I don't want an extra controller. I just want one. Plus the only game I will ever want is Wii Sports.

Yay! :(

That's the basics of what the 360 offers for the smallest amount of outlay, and that's £285, give or take a few pence.

Bullshit, I can walk into Tesco and walk out with a Core pack and Test Drive for £220.

Plus there are other offers doing the rounds.

I could pick up mem card online for £10-15

So that's £235.

It's more about the extra controller/game pushing the total cost beyond that £200 price point.

The bundle is perfect for Christmas, though, IMO.

Parents get the console, a controller and a game out of the box.

The kids can then use their Christmas money for extras afterwards. I think it would do very nicely...were it not for the late release.