rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
The Liberal Elite

Exciting Wiitails

Christ, the moaning in this forum is amazing. If you don't want to pay £179 then DON'T FUCKING BUY ONE. Vote with your wallets.

I'm not going to buy one, but I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to say why I'm not buying one on here.

but, hey, at least we know that it will be profitable right from the start!

I'd rather they take a hit.

£44 for a complete extra controller?

That's disgusting.

The US price will be pre sales tax, which will add a percentage to the price. Granted it won't be as much as the price here (about 6% in most states I think).

The US$ is also incredibly weak. If the Wii was priced at $300 (around the same minus tax) then nobody would buy it.

Except these people, the DS market if you will, are not going to pay £180 for a games console.

I don't agree. At Christmas time £179 isn't a lot for an online ready games console with a game.

Good luck to Sony selling a £500 console with no games in March though. :(

Still, I was hoping for £150 or below, and cheaper games would have been nice too. :(

Me to, but the second pricing was announced elsewhere, I knew it was going to be £180 for the hardware and £40 for most games.

Did I miss anything regarding the Virtual Console pricing in Europe?

I've been skimming whilst at work so I haven't been able to read every word of every post! :(

The US price is quoted *without* sales tax, the UK price is quoted *with* VAT, so that £130 would be closer to £152.75 (ie add imaginary VAT to the US price) for a fairer comparison.

Or do it the other way and remove the VAT from the UK price (180 / 1.175), you get £153 again, so we're paying £27 more, not £50 more.

Do UK retailers take bigger margins than those in the US (ie, could this be actually the same wholesale price resulting in a higher retail price?).

The dollar is weak against the pound at the moment, are they expecting it to strengthen, or the pound to weaken? That would maybe even the relative prices up.

Still, I was hoping for £150 or below, and cheaper games would have been nice too. :(

Suprised it took so long for someone to post some sense like this.

ed: I was hoping for £169.99 tops though (this won't stop me getting one though). Ah well, I think it might be the right move. Perhaps Nintendo don't want to be seen purely as the budget second or third console and rather something entirely different.

Which is exactly why they needed to launch at a mass-market, impulse buy price. Something they've failed pathetically to do, because Nintendo - more than Sony or Microsoft - want to fleece you for all you've got.

So...£150 is perfect but £180 is wildly off target!?

Are you that hard-up!?

Right, I think I'm going to leave this one to fate.

I'll go for a PAL one, but I won't pre-order, if I can stroll into a shop at Christmas time and pick one off the shelf I'll have it.

Are you that hard-up!?

Its perception, £180 'sounds' much more than £149.99.

Really, though?

£179.99 doesn't sound much more than £150.

Also with short supplies and just weeks before Christmas, parents aren't going to be worrying about £30.

My one concern is the release date. It really is JUST before Christmas. That's the mistake. It should be November.

If the Wii had the same chipset and the same price as the 360 it would still have the cutesy line-up of Warios, Marios and Cluedo characters playing basic sport demos & Zelda.

Just saying.

Which is exactly why Nintendo went in the direction they did with the Wii. Now I'd have liked to see it put clear technical ground between itself and the GC, but they didn't. However, that wouldn't be an issue if they had launched it at a price appealing to the sort of people who made the DS such a success. But they haven't. So they may as well have offered us a more powerful system - one which could play host to quality (not perfect - but not too far behind) ports of games from 360 & PS3 - for £250. That way they could have held some appeal to those beyond Nintendo fans, if someone saw an excellent looking sports game and this interesting new controller, perhaps they'd have taken a chance.

At £180, all they've served to do is alienate the sort of audience they captured with the DS and offer a unit completely and utterly lacking in the sort of games those who'll be buying 360s this year want to play.

I agree, for some odd reason I look at something like £169.99 as a lot less than £170, I know it's stupid but I am sure you know what I mean.

I really can't see Nintendo Wii's just sitting on the shelves, not being bought. I'm sure that they will sell out immediately and will be quite hard to come by. Has Nintendo mentioned any shipment figures yet? Just how many will be available for purchase before Christmas? I can't see it being enough.

That and it being 20% more.

I don't much care about the actual console price, but the controllers are expensive.

Really, though?

£179.99 doesn't sound much more than £150.

Also with short supplies and just weeks before Christmas, parents aren't going to be worrying about £30.

My one concern is the release date. It really is JUST before Christmas. That's the mistake. It should be November.

It's closer to a magic £200 mark, I think it is almost the difference between an impulse buy or not..

Have done a calculation based on today's exchange rates:

Wii (bundled Wiimote, nunchuck, Wii Sports, Wii Starter [duckhunt etc.!]), Classic Controller (for Virtual Console), Zelda, Excite Truck and Monkey Ball...

£225 at RRP from USA

(probably £265 after 17.5% UK tax) (+£10 charge?! can't remember)

Consider me sold!

I really can't see Nintendo Wii's just sitting on the shelves, not being bought. I'm sure that they will sell out immediately and will be quite hard to come by. Has Nintendo mentioned any shipment figures yet? Just how many will be available for purchase before Christmas? I can't see it being enough.

With the number of people here that have changed their minds since the announcement :(

I don't much care about the actual console price, but the controllers are expensive.

That's my other concern. £45 is a lot.

It just seems like such a rip off to me since I got a brand new premium 360 + Kameo and PD: Zero for £210 off this very forum. If the games are £30 (online) a pop it might soften the blow.

Brand new from a shop or second hand of a forumite?

I don't agree. At Christmas time £179 isn't a lot for an online ready games console with a game.

It's not online ready. And no, Virtual Console and weather forecasts don't count.

Seriously guys, when everyone was saying £150 would be a really good price, we all thought there would be two controllers and possibly a game packed in.

And £44 for a second controller is an utter joke. Do any of our resident fanboys want to take a stab at justifying that?

£179 with a game is quite a mass market price I think, especially as Wii sports is kind of 5 games in 1.

Yes, I would've prefered £150, but Nintendo's not our friend - they're a business. Remember Microsoft and Sony can afford to take a loss, because they have tons of other divisions they can fall back on. :(

You could get a Core with a couple of games from certain retailers for under £200. It immediately looks like much less of a joke when one considers that it's a far more impressive piece of hardware, controller debate aside.

Microsoft couldn't have asked for any more luck this Christmas. First of all Sony fuck their most loyal customers off and then Nintendo, a company who many thought would be a competitor by making their console available at a "mass market price" become arrogant in the way only they can and decided to launch at a price which will have Average Bloke On The Street running for a console which can boast games that actually look better than those he's been playing for the last few years for only a little bit more. When you add to that the - perfectly just - stigma Nintendo have with regards to their consoles not playing host to the sort of games Average Bloke would like to play (Pro Evo, GTA, any 'realistic' racing games) you have a big problem for a company whose greatest chance of success would have come from tapping kids & "non-gamers".

Hold your horses there. The UK is the only country getting this "dodgy" price you speak of, and suddenly Nintendo has "fucked up" and Microsoft are laughing? You're takling bollocks mate. You want to see fucked up? The 360 is a complete joke in Japan for a start, and I doubt the Wii will do anywhere near as badly here. Sony aren't even releasing the console in Europe until next year, and in the territories they are releasing in it's at a price which is far[ from mass market. Now there's a fuck up.

£180 isn't as great as £150 would have been, granted, but to keep going on about "a 5 year machine" is nonsense, and controller aside it has an amazing interface and is still cheaper than the rest. Also, since it's christmas, the fact is comes with a game IS relevant. The people buying it as a gift don't care whether Wii Sports is as good as Zelda or not, the fact is it's a game. Parents couldn't care less which one it is, they just know little Johnny can play it on Christmas day. In fact, little Johnny has an online console which he can play out of the box on Christmas day, unlike the 360 which requires a £40 subscription to Live and another £40 for a game. Add £80 if you buy the core pack and you're well away from £180.

I have a 360 too, and I'm currently enjoying a load of games on it. I don't think it's comparable to a Wii personally, they're two different machines. I was nowhere near as excited about the 360 as I am about the Wii, simply because I'd exprienced everything on the 360 before it came out, it just didn't look as pretty.

Are you that hard-up!?

Well I do have a child on the way, so I'm not exactly able to splash out how I might otherwise like....

But that's not relevant. As a matter of principle, I don't think the product offers good value, certainly not comparitively to the GameCube which launched with very similar tech at a much lower price in 2002. And it will be easily defeated by the 360 this Christmas as a result. I don't see many consumers, including kids (other than the very young), favouring Wii. They'll want their football games, their racing games and while they might like to play Wario Ware, leaving the Wii as a nice second choice, the price difference isn't such that many parents will go "aww...we simply cannot afford this Xbox so...." whereas if it had launched at a more reasonable £140-£150 that may just have been the case

Well nowt is stopping me from getting it at that price I see it as the same price as a GC but with a bundled game I would be getting anyway, just like Rowan. I am a bit upset at the price for another controller though, now that is steep.

So I'm looking at £300 for me with some launch titles and another pad.

Not as bad as last Xmas's hit on the wallett with the 360 for the boy.

£450 that was. And I bought a HDTV as well as that.

This xmas is going to be a lot cheaper and its my pressie :(

84 days to go :(

Imported controllers FTW, definitely. Didnt work out at just under 30 quid for a Wiimote+Nunchuk on the Jap prices?