Exciting Wiitails

The gamecube launched at 139.99 in 2002, right? Without a game.

Assuming inflation of around 3%, that puts us at about £160 in todays money.

The wii, with a far more innovative controller and a game, is £179.

How can you possibly complain about that?

Plus, would people stop saying that it is barely a step up from the Gamecube, because that's nonsense. It's just based around the same architecture. You might as well say a Pentium 4 3.2 is only a bit better than a P4 1.6.

When parents go into their local dixons and ask about consoles, the sales assistant is going to say this:

'We've got a brand new Nintendo Wii console, which comes with a game, the ability to save games, and online connectivity, plus a wireless controller, all for £180. It's easy to connect to the internet, and if you want to make your spending a round number, you can buy a £20 Points card, which you can use to download older Nintendo games like Mario and Zelda as soon as you get home. If you want to buy games, they're brand new just out, and start at £35."

"Wow" Mommy and Daddy smith will say, "that's good value for money. But what about this Xbox 360 we've been hearing about?"

"Well", will say the sales assistant, "if you want the same with that, you're looking at £200 for the machine, then another £20 for a memory card on top of that. The pad has a wire. If you want to play online, that will be another £40, but if you want to download games, you're going to have to buy a 2100 Points Card and a hard drive, or just buy the £270 console that comes with a hard drive - although the pad for that IS wireless. Games start at £30 for the year-old ones, and you're looking at £40 or so for the newer ones.

"Oh", Mommy and Daddy will say, "we just wanted something for little Jimmy for Xmas, not a huge investment. We'll go for that Nintendo thingy."

This.

All the arguments being put forward to justify the price are fine (it looks really fun, the controller is high-tech, and so on), and I'd normally be swayed by them, but the point is that there's a significant difference between what they're charging in Europe and what they're charging elsewhere. Is the controller more high-tech here? Is having Wii Sports packed it somehow worth loads more here than in the US?

They chose this whole Wii strategy based on being accessible and mass-market friendly, and then the price in Europe is well above what they're charging elsewhere. And I don't think any of the arguments yet put forward justify (or engage with) that at all. Reggie's already said they're making moeny on the Wii hardware from day one (talking about the US), so it's not even as if Nintendo thinks they have to charge this much for it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still really looking forward to the console, but a 25%+ price hike for Europe is cheeky at the very least.

Has it occurred to you that other people have less disposable income than yourself?

I hate this 'I'm happy so no one else is allowed to discuss things properly' attitude.

But people aren't 'discussing things properly' Panda. That's my point.

If calling Nintendo 'cunts' every 10 posts constitutes to sensible discussion then I'll happily stand corrected.

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't like playing Mario Kart with the GameCube's d-pad. :angry: The classic controller is only £14 though, so not too bad.

The arse is that's x2... when I already have two perfectly serviceable wavebirds.

£28 seems a bit steep

When parents go into their local dixons and ask about consoles, the sales assistant is going to say this:

'We've got a brand new Nintendo Wii console, which comes with a game, the ability to save games, and online connectivity, plus a wireless controller, all for £180. It's easy to connect to the internet, and if you want to make your spending a round number, you can buy a £20 Points card, which you can use to download older Nintendo games like Mario and Zelda as soon as you get home. If you want to buy games, they're brand new just out, and start at £35."

"Wow" Mommy and Daddy smith will say, "that's good value for money. But what about this Xbox 360 we've been hearing about?"

"Well", will say the sales assistant, "if you want the same with that, you're looking at £200 for the machine, then another £20 for a memory card on top of that. The pad has a wire. If you want to play online, that will be another £40, but if you want to download games, you're going to have to buy a 2100 Points Card and a hard drive, or just buy the £270 console that comes with a hard drive - although the pad for that IS wireless. Games start at £30 for the year-old ones, and you're looking at £40 or so for the newer ones.

"Oh", Mommy and Daddy will say, "we just wanted something for little Jimmy for Xmas, not a huge investment. We'll go for that Nintendo thingy."

Yes. Obviously parents decide what console their child wants, if the child wants a 360 he'll be perfectly happy with a Wii.

I can see me waiting till Argos are selling them for £100 . :angry:
Next April then.

According to some bloke in Gamestation today, the Wii will be £190 (without a game).

Well, he was only a tenner off, and the announcement of Wii Sports as a pack-in was only in the last few days.

£180 for a five-year-old console in a new casing with a gimmicky controller? No thanks.

.::: Well, the controllers are the deal-breaker for me. I'll just hold out with one and a Nunchuk. If anyone comes over, bring your own. As for the Classic Controller, I'll get that UNLESS Virtual Console works with GC pads. In which case my Hori SNES pads will be heavenly.

"Alternatively, we got a £85 console here called 'PSTwo' which is the most popular machine in the world and has all the games you could ever want from £5 onwards! And it can even play DVD's!"

But people aren't 'discussing things properly' Panda. That's my point.

If calling Nintendo 'cunts' every 10 posts constitutes to sensible discussion then I'll happily stand corrected.

That's fair enough, but some people have legitimate points to make about the pricing structure, and are being met with 'if you don't like it, don't buy one', which is ridiculous. There's no point in discussion if people are only allowed to say positive things.

"Alternatively, we got a £85 console here called 'PSTwo' which is the most popular machine in the world and has all the games you could ever want from £5 onwards! And it can even play DVD's!"

.::: That was to be my second post you quick Imperial cunt! Still doesn't change the validity of the point though. :angry:

Its the extra controllers that are killing this for me it will need at least two controllers and preferrably four to get the best from it.

If the DS with its touchscreen and dual display can be sold profitably for £100 there is no good reason other than greedy stupidity for the Wii and a single controller to cost more than £150

Im sorry but Nintendo really have Wiid their pants with this one. :angry:

The DS wasn't £99 when it released though, was it. It launched at a higher price, enjoyed an impact period at that price when there was a novelty surrounding the machine, and then reduced down to a stable RRP when it became more established.

Nintendo will intend the Wii's price to stick for the first six months, and the £180 price point allows them some room for manouevre with reductions further down the line. Had the machine launched at £150 you'd be talking a £125 price point within a year, and as previously discussd, from there it's a slippery slope of consumer opinion seeing it as a cheap toy because it's TOO lowly priced.

I can see the sense in £179.99, and while I'm obviously disapointed for my wallet that it won't be £150, i won't cry about it. It means one less DVD box set bought that month, that's all.

All the arguments being put forward to justify the price are fine (it looks really fun, the controller is high-tech, and so on), and I'd normally be swayed by them, but the point is that there's a significant difference between what they're charging in Europe and what they're charging elsewhere. Is the controller more high-tech here? Is having Wii Sports packed it somehow worth loads more here than in the US?

They chose this whole Wii strategy based on being accessible and mass-market friendly, and then the price in Europe is well above what they're charging elsewhere. And I don't think any of the arguments yet put forward justify (or engage with) that at all. Reggie's already said they're making moeny on the Wii hardware from day one (talking about the US), so it's not even as if Nintendo thinks they have to charge this much for it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still really looking forward to the console, but a 25%+ price hike for Europe is cheeky at the very least.

The thing is that most items will come out at identical dollar and euro amounts, mostly because they (generally) track each other. At the moment, the dollar is lousy, which means that it looks like a massive gap. If the dollar suddenly rebounds, or changes (which it easily could do) to be more in line with the Euro, then the price will look pretty much the same.

That said, the UK/Euro rate does not average at making 250 euros into £180. Tossers. (Yes, I will buy one, but not happy about price etc etc)

Also, consider that for an American, $250 is still quite a bit, it only seems cheap to us because of their ridiculously poor exchange rate.

Anyway, lets get back to the important issue: I saw a vid on IGN yesterday, at one point they showed off Zelda. Turns out you can now wave the Wiimote to swing Link's sword.

GAY

.::: How was you holiday? Is sleeping under a rock really that comfortable? :angry::)

Said parent's will have children who already own PS2s and are bored of them. As an excercise in wanting to adopt to the next generation for the cheapest price possible at Christmas, they'll see the Wii as the way to go.

Said parent's will have children who already own PS2s and are bored of them. As an excercise in wanting to adopt to the next generation for the cheapest price possible at Christmas, they'll see the Wii as the way to go.

.::: Odd. Around here that usally means "different cheaper present alltogether".

So on their Wii points system of EUR 20 = GBP 14 = USD 20. , I calculate that Nintendo are fucking you over by approcimately 31% on exchange rate at current rates, before taking taxes into accounts.

.::: Just like Microsoft! And you can bet your arse Sony wants a slice as well! Welcome to teh futur3!

.::: How was you holiday? Is sleeping under a rock really that comfortable? :):D

:angry: You twat, quiet!

I've been trying to avoid Zelda spoilers like that

dragon they showed Link riding

the other day (GRRRR)

Anywayl its still rubbish! I'd best be able to use a button for my sword attacks still!

£50 less! I love how Nintendo say they want to aim for a wider audience yet price it higher than any of their previous consoles (and call it a Wii).

Accounting for inflation, the NES and SNES were both more expensive.

This. Unless poor Jimmy already has a PStwo and wants some new thrills. For some people, incuding me, £280 for a base console without any games is out of my budget. At just over £200, I'll keep myself going with a Wii and Twilight Princess.

Still, if I didn't have a PS2 already, I'd get that this Xmas above any next gen purchase.