rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
The Liberal Elite

Exciting Wiitails

Companies the size of Nintendo deal with additional currencies all the time. It's probably more to do with making up a round figure.

Now, the £50 difference between the UK and the US is a bit harder to explain away, but I'm sure there are a number of Nintendo Fanboys working on an explanation while we speak.

To be fair, £25 is wiped straight off when you add VAT

And unless you want the price of a Wii to change day by day, they're not going to give us the exchange rate you could get on the street because they change all the time.

I'm far more pissed off by the fact that we're being screwed relative to Europe by a good tenner or so.

And they're total spazzes given that they are really going to hurt their sales. £150 and they would probably have owned Christmas. Now they will do well over Christmas, but only to the Nintendo faithful. Whom they'll piss off when they drop it to £150 later.

I'll still buy one mind.

So how solid is this release date? Sure they just announced it, but the PS3 was also announced as coming out in Europe this year too... :(

While £180 isn't that expensive, it is too much more than every other territory (including the rest of Europe) will pay. Do they not have 17.5% VAT in mainland europe? Or is it that shipping it over here to Treasure Island is really more expensive than driving them up into the f***ing Andorran mountains, or some other European backwater?

Think I'll wait awhile.

I was expecting a price closer to the GC's launch. They've lost a sale now. I'm sure nobody will care, and it will sell, but £180 isn't impulse buy affordable. Anyone who thinks the price is good is nuts, even after tax and all that, we are still being screwed over, compared with the US and especially Japan.

I'll wait and see how it does.

The worst thing about this for me is not the price. It's the fact that I'm going to be walking out of a shop with it on December 8th but not able to get my dirty mitts on it until my son has unwrapped it on Christmas Day. :(

That's not the point tho - my mum cant tell the difference between a 360 game and a PS2 game, so why do you assume that Nintnedo's target audience (ie. NOT 'average person looking to buy a console') will even give a shit that it contains 'dated innards'?

Except these people, the DS market if you will, are not going to pay £180 for a games console. It's a daft, middle-ground price that doesn't really satisfy anybody. Ill be expecting price-cuts next year.

The worst thing about this for me is not the price. It's the fact that I'm going to be walking out of a shop with it on December 8th but not able to get my dirty mitts on it until my son has unwrapped it on Christmas Day. :(

That's not the worst thing, it's just the lamest thing.

You massively, massively, massively overestimate the intelligence of the "average person on the street".

Alright then, when said person sees the 360 with Pro Evo, Gears Of War, FIFA 2007 up against the Wii with its cutesy line-up of Warios, Marios, Cluedo characters playing basic sport demos & Zelda, they're not going to opt for the latter. And the sort of people who got hooked with the DS aren't going to hand over the minimum £215 it will set you back to make a Wii purchase worthwhile.

I feel a little deflated as that price has pushed it out of the impulse buy categogry for me personally, £160 would've meant Id get another controller and still be the right side of 200 but now it means a decent setup is not going to be sub £200 and will therefore need justifying.

A few years back as a young free singleton they coulda said £250 and I wouldnt have batted an eyelid but financial priorities for myself and Im sure many others amongst Nintendos aging UK fanbase have changed.

Early bedtimes for your son from 8th of Dec - or Santa won't come threats should help - he'll never notice the difference if you reseal the box :(

More worrying than the price for me is the fact that Zelda is the only title that looks appealing to me. I'm not sure if that's enough to buy one at launch.

Ah, who am I kidding?

And they're total spazzes given that they are really going to hurt their sales. £150 and they would probably have owned Christmas. Now they will do well over Christmas, but only to the Nintendo faithful. Whom they'll piss off when they drop it to £150 later.

I'll still buy one mind.

It'll be interesting to see if Nintendo show the decency of Microsoft (and indeed they did when the N64 dropped in price very quickly) and offer a free game to early adopters when the inevitable quick-fire price slash comes about.

I love all the price conversions that happen with these threads. The pound is really strong just now, that's why there seems to such a large difference in price when importing.

Maybe to stop all the bitching they should do a Wii core. You know just fling in the classic controller and no game for £120 and then everybody can be cored out their nut. For all the talk of the 360 core price all I can remember at the 360 launch period and beyond was forumites moaning about there only being cores available and who wants that? :(

Anyway most interesting thing to view on this forum is that the so called old skool hardcare place a budget priced graphics box, over a machine that is supposed to be offering new ways to play games with roughly current-gen graphics due to the similiar retail price. If this it true all over then it's sad to say the Wii is fucked, as gamers only care about the graphics.

it's not as cheap as it could be, but £180 is fine. the only reason most people are pissed off is because everyone was making wild and stupid predictions ("£99 OMG OMG!") that, by a process of endless repetition, eventually seemed much closer to fact.

the only serious mis-step is the one controller. that's just plain daft.

And the sort of people who got hooked with the DS aren't going to hand over the minimum £215 it will set you back to make a Wii purchase worthwhile.

My point exactly, at the same price as the GC's launch price, or even £10 more it would have been a no-brainer, but at getting close to £200, its not so tempting.

Except these people, the DS market is you will, are not going to pay £180 for a games console. It's a daft, middle-ground price that doesn't really satisfy anybody. Ill be expecting price-cuts next year.

Oh, I agree! But, I think people may be willing to spend that little bit more at Christmas time; think about it, the DS has been flying off the shelves, as an impulse buy only.

If Nintendo have Wii demo pods in lots of shops on the run up to Christmas, they can easily persuade people to try and buy.

I don't think the Nintendogs/Brain Training/Animal Crossing crowd Nintendo's gonna be pushing for gives a toss about so-called 'last gen graphics' tbh. :(

Very true. The woman who enjoys Nintendogs isn't gonna say "OMG, where's the fur shading? Not enough polygons!" Funny how it's the "hardcore" gamers are the ones who care the most about that crap. If you look at the most popular consoles for each generation, it's never been the ones with the best graphics.

Alright then, when said person sees the 360 with Pro Evo, Gears Of War, FIFA 2007 up against the Wii with its cutesy line-up of Warios, Marios, Cluedo characters playing basic sport demos & Zelda, they're not going to opt for the latter. And the sort of people who got hooked with the DS aren't going to hand over the minimum £215 it will set you back to make a Wii purchase worthwhile.

If the Wii had the same chipset and the same price as the 360 it would still have the cutesy line-up of Warios, Marios and Cluedo characters playing basic sport demos & Zelda.

Just saying.

Early bedtimes for your son from 8th of Dec - or Santa won't come threats should help - he'll never notice the difference if you reseal the box :(

Now that sounds like a plan. :(

So how solid is this release date? Sure they just announced it, but the PS3 was also announced as coming out in Europe this year too... :(

While £180 isn't that expensive, it is too much more than every other territory (including the rest of Europe) will pay. Do they not have 17.5% VAT in mainland europe? Or is it that shipping it over here to Treasure Island is really more expensive than driving them up into the f***ing Andorran mountains, or some other European backwater?

Think I'll wait awhile.

Hmm, Andorra.... now theres an idea....

You know, Pas De le Cassa has some pretty good stores, and is only 90 mins drive from Tolouse...

Add in the fact Andorra is duty free.. might be worth a quick trip there to pick up a few Wii's....

Very true. The woman who enjoys Nintendogs isn't gonna say "OMG, where's the fur shading? Not enough polygons!" Funny how it's the "hardcore" gamers are the ones who care the most about that crap. If you look at the most popular consoles for each generation, it's never been the ones with the best graphics.

Frankly, most of the time I can't tell the 360 stuff from the Xbox stuff either.

Companies the size of Nintendo deal with additional currencies all the time. It's probably more to do with making up a round figure.

Now, the £50 difference between the UK and the US is a bit harder to explain away, but I'm sure there are a number of Nintendo Fanboys working on an explanation while we speak.

The US price will be pre sales tax, which will add a percentage to the price. Granted it won't be as much as the price here (about 6% in most states I think).

Christ, the moaning in this forum is amazing. If you don't want to pay £179 then DON'T FUCKING BUY ONE. Vote with your wallets.

Nintendo have stated they won't take a loss on hardware, whereas MS/Sony blatantly subsidise the hell out of their hardware. Hence the (relatively) high price of th Wii. I probably won't buy one straight away - you're still looking at close to £300 once you factor in an extra controller and couple of games.

Maybe they chose this slightly higher than anticipated pricepoint to avoid the drop in perceived value the Gamecube experienced as its price was slashed.

Some have mentioned price cuts next year, I reduction to coincide with the PS3 launch will do far more harm than good people will see it as another Nintendo console failing in the face of the Sony onslaught. If that genuinely is their plan they would have been far better off giving us the bargain price now and sticking to it for the whole of the first year, than keeping it in reserve for when the PS3 arrives.

Which is exactly why they needed to launch at a mass-market, impulse buy price. Something they've failed pathetically to do, because Nintendo - more than Sony or Microsoft - want to fleece you for all you've got.

Let me reiterate the point for those complaining about the moaners.

The Wii is coming out in the US for $250. That's £130.

So we are paying £50 more.

The US price is quoted *without* sales tax, the UK price is quoted *with* VAT, so that £130 would be closer to £152.75 (ie add imaginary VAT to the US price) for a fairer comparison.

Or do it the other way and remove the VAT from the UK price (180 / 1.175), you get £153 again, so we're paying £27 more, not £50 more.

Do UK retailers take bigger margins than those in the US (ie, could this be actually the same wholesale price resulting in a higher retail price?).

The dollar is weak against the pound at the moment, are they expecting it to strengthen, or the pound to weaken? That would maybe even the relative prices up.

Still, I was hoping for £150 or below, and cheaper games would have been nice too. :(

Christ, the moaning in this forum is amazing. If you don't want to pay £179 then DON'T FUCKING BUY ONE. Vote with your wallets.

I'm not going to buy one, but I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to say why I'm not buying one on here.