rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
The Liberal Elite

Exciting Wiitails

The resources being used to keep those things which only a tiny number of people were probably actively using can now be used on Wii U stuff. Obviously.

So used towards another tiny number of people?

EDIT- Fuck sake camel

• Upvote 2

How long did OG Xbox Live hang around after 360 launched?

A quick google suggests four and a half years.

360 launch: Nov 2005

Original XBL switch-off: April 2010

Well, they aren't turning off online for any actual games, in their defence. Just those fluff channels. Mind you, arguably they don't have any actual infrastructure for games to even turn off ;-)

It's actually pretty annoying because a couple of those channels were neat. Why is there a need to switch them off, if anything they should be bringing these features to the Wii U. I know they're not killer apps but they're just nice things that come with the machine. Nintendo games are praised for their polish but their console OS seem to lack the same sort of finesse.

Sort it out, Nintendo.

Inevitable I suppose, but you would have thought they would have waited until there was a stronger take up of the Wii U. I bet mario karts online stuff is also switched off as soon as the new one is released.

Edit: my kids will be annoyed. They love the weather channel, and it was good for when my daughter was doing some round the world stuff at school.

Wii now dead

At the start of October, a message on the Wii product page on Nintendo's official Japanese website read "manufacturing is scheduled to end soon". Now that message has changed to simply "manufacturing has ended", confirming that once the remaining Wii consoles out in the wild sell out, there'll be no more on the way.

The last official sales total for the Wii was released by Nintendo in June 2013, in which it confirmed the console had sold 100.04 million units worldwide.

This made the Wii Nintendo's best selling console ever and its third-best selling device overall behind the Game Boy and the DS.

Weeep

Although I actually saw one of those abominable Wii minis in tescos the other day. 85 pound with no games.

This death is a mercy