Exciting Wiitails

The Liberal Elite

I've got into the habit of copying all my VC downloads onto my SD card immediately after buying them. I know that they're available to re-download, but for how long? I'm not convinced that Nintendo are going to keep these things available in perpetuity. It is a pain in the arse to do it though, and even more so when you decide you want to play one of your deleted games, and have to delete something else to make room and load it in again.

Well if they decided that at some date in the future, stuff couldn't be redownloaded, customers who'd bought stuff the week before would be complaining pretty loudly. Fair enough about the hassle factor though - not something that's really bothered me yet.

I wonder if Nintendo thought ahead and made the Wii compatable (at least in principle) with SDHC cards? Maybe it's got an SDHC-capable reader and they just haven't installed SDHC-capable firmware to avoid the licencing fee, then they could enable it later. 16GB Play.com branded cards are only £60, it'd be a reasonable way of providing expansion.

I've got into the habit of copying all my VC downloads onto my SD card immediately after buying them. I know that they're available to re-download, but for how long? I'm not convinced that Nintendo are going to keep these things available in perpetuity. It is a pain in the arse to do it though, and even more so when you decide you want to play one of your deleted games, and have to delete something else to make room and load it in again.

Well for me what I find best is that when i finish a game on VC then I will just move it onto SD card and free up some space to buy a new one. I havent filled my Wii's memory yet but it also gets me into the habit of actually playing and finishing my VC titles before getting any more and avoid just buying loads of titles for a quick blast and never actually finish them. To me its the same as finishing a game and sticking it on a shelf to gather dust, but obviously taking a lot less room :)

Seriously, though, a chess game coming out now suggests that Wii Ware is either a long way off for Europe or NoE haven't heard about it.

More likely they're using the Touch Generations branding to sell to the 'casuals' who perhaps won't use WiiWare.

As if casuals will ever use WiiWare. On Saturday I had to explain to my Dad, who isn't completely rubbish when it comes to technology but just needs a a bit of help now and again, how to set a Wii up with his wireless network. Holy shit.

You should tell him not to use it whenever the microwave's on, or the Wii will explode.

As if casuals will ever use WiiWare. On Saturday I had to explain to my Dad, who isn't completely rubbish when it comes to technology but just needs a a bit of help now and again, how to set a Wii up with his wireless network. Holy shit.

Yeah exactly, that's what I was saying - it's why Wii Chess has been released on disc.

If I was doing the advertising for that, I'd rather use that headline than 'Comes with 10 difficulty levels, on one disc!'

Sure, but not much use to all the people who haven't got their Wii setup over Wi-Fi, which is why Wii Chess is on disc no?

I reckon on a tiny %age of Wii owners actually have it hooked up to tinternet. I think it's the oppositte for the 360.

They better make a really big thing of WiiWare to make these new gamers aware of what's available. It's not like they really do a lot of selling of the VC.

Sure, but not much use to all the people who haven't got their Wii setup over Wi-Fi, which is why Wii Chess is on disc no?

I suspect the idea is that lots of the target market for chess would never even find the game via wiiware but they would see it in a shop. They may then be interested in playing online.

I suspect the idea is that lots of the target market for chess would never even find the game via wiiware but they would see it in a shop. They may then be interested in playing online.

Yeah, I hope you're right. I just thought Wii Chess would be an ideal candidate for Wii Ware. I hope it isn't only aimed at or used by the "traditional" gamer.

I reckon on a tiny %age of Wii owners actually have it hooked up to tinternet. I think it's the oppositte for the 360.

They better make a really big thing of WiiWare to make these new gamers aware of what's available. It's not like they really do a lot of selling of the VC.

None of the people I know personally who have wiis have it online, despite having wireless routers. They were surprised it was even possible when I explained it.

Odd.

Leaflets advertising these features in all future 1st party games would be a good idea.

Perhaps some of Nintendo's games could come with a free game download code or something? Sticker on the front of the box that it's included so that it's unavoidable. I'm sure those sort of things would at least get a *few* more people online.

Leaflets advertising these features in all future 1st party games would be a good idea.

Perhaps some of Nintendo's games could come with a free game download code or something? Sticker on the front of the box that it's included so that it's unavoidable. I'm sure those sort of things would at least get a *few* more people online.

I thought they were going to do that with some VC games. So when I buy Super Smash Bros. Brawl, I get a code to download Super Smash Bros. 64 for free.

I thought they were going to do that with some VC games. So when I buy Super Smash Bros. Brawl, I get a code to download Super Smash Bros. 64 for free.

Let's not go mad. This is Nintendo we are talking about. Free games? They can't even get points up on their site for us to convert our stars into to buy games.

The way they are doing it is fine for their market. Slowly interest people with details on it as more games become available that take advantage of it. The Chess game is a good example. Selling it via retail and pushing the online aspect will be about a 1000 times more effective than seliing it via download and including online play.

I don't even know how to play chess. I mean, I know the idea of the game, I've just never bothered learning the names of all the different pieces and how they move.

And I call myself a gamer. ^_^

Well, you've got the little ones at the front which are called Buttons.

Then at the back you've got:

Spanky

Michaels

Twitchy

Hartley

Jumper

Crow

Hassim

Stove Length

Turnstile

Daisy

Birthpipe

Shunt

The Rough Pudding

Fourteen Muskets

Hairy Balloons

Umm... Is that enough?

Rules:

You get a point for every piece with two syllables or less in the name if you can distract your opponent long enough to swipe them from the board. This must be accompanied by the sound effect 'Yoink' (or 'Poink' if you're playing Chinese rules.)

Twenty points if your opponent tries to touch your Hairy Balloons, at which time you may pat him on the head like Benny Hill does to his little bald fairy.

Thirty points for swallowing The Rough Pudding.

Daisy has a free go.

Shunt is wild.

No crossing the Jumpers.

If your Birthpipe jumps over their Stove Length then your Hartley becomes Twitchy.

The aim of the game is to clean up before Mum gets home.

Well, you've got the little ones at the front which are called Buttons.

Then at the back you've got:

Spanky

Michaels

Twitchy

Hartley

Jumper

Crow

Hassim

Stove Length

Turnstile

Daisy

Birthpipe

Shunt

The Rough Pudding

Fourteen Muskets

Hairy Balloons

Umm... Is that enough?

Rules:

You get a point for every piece with two syllables or less in the name if you can distract your opponent long enough to swipe them from the board. This must be accompanied by the sound effect 'Yoink' (or 'Poink' if you're playing Chinese rules.)

Twenty points if your opponent tries to touch your Hairy Balloons, at which time you may pat him on the head like Benny Hill does to his little bald fairy.

Thirty points for swallowing The Rough Pudding.

Daisy has a free go.

Shunt is wild.

No crossing the Jumpers.

If your Birthpipe jumps over their Stove Length then your Hartley becomes Twitchy.

The aim of the game is to clean up before Mum gets home.

You just invented Worms Chess ^_^