Exciting Wiitails

The Liberal Elite

Anyone have any clue as to why neither of my Wiis (US and Japanese) don't fill up my screen (32" w/s LCD) over component? The Wii menu seems to, but there's about a one inch black bar running down both sides of the screen, and I've just been back to finish Corruption and there was black above and below the picture too. It's really quite distressing.

I'm seem to remember something on the Metroid IGN review that said that there was a small black bar all the way around the screen while playing.

Well, mines gone back to fading in and out. No flashing. It's much easier on the eye.

I wish mine would go back to the smooth fading in and out. I hate getting messages due to that bloody flashing light, it looks as if the light is fucked.

I'm seem to remember something on the Metroid IGN review that said that there was a small black bar all the way around the screen while playing.

Hmm, it is odd, can't see why it does it. At least it's not just my setup broken then.

mine's gone back to fading out too. HOW QUEER.
I wish mine would go back to the smooth fading in and out. I hate getting messages due to that bloody flashing light, it looks as if the light is fucked.

Would you believe it, I've just got another message and mine's gone back to flashing again. Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

So has anybody had any luck turning the Wii in to a media machine?

I've tried both http://corp.orb.com/gamers/wii.htm and http://weezo.net/index.php?lang=en (Orb was better - faster and has Wii-specific interface) but have to say I'm ultimately unsatisfied. Okay, so albums can be streamed from the PC, but forget any decent quality of video.

Anybody else?

I've heard the 'playground rumour' (but from a grown adult in her thirties - how isn't a teacher) that the Wii will get a firmware update pretty soon to get the Wii playin' DVDs. :wub: If I had the technical knowledge and patience I'd disassemble a Wii myself to debunk that.

afaik - it's going to be available to purchase DVD support via the Wii shop, but currently planned for Japan only. DVD playback was cut out to save money as there's a license fee to pay or something like that... afaik again.
Wouldn't the license fee be taken care of by the cost of the DVD update?

I can't say I'd be interested in it now. The 360 does a nice job of upscaling and the noise of my system is bearable with the speakers up.

Apart from waiting to connect to the shop, waiting for each page to load as you navigate, waiting for it to download... it takes longer than copying it to the SD card... but only just. It's such a farce for old games that I generally want to pick up and play for 10 minutes.

re-downloading a game via the wii shop is a pest - with WiiWare coming, Nintendo really have to offer a storage solution. I don't get it... this is people who *want* to download lots of games and spend money and, if Perrin Kaplan's recent response is anything to go by, where she told us just to delete them and then re-download, then they just don't care.

they're worried about rampant piracy if they introduce a hard drive - but things like that didn't harm the PS2 or xbox.

re-downloading a game via the wii shop is a pest - with WiiWare coming, Nintendo really have to offer a storage solution. I don't get it... this is people who *want* to download lots of games and spend money and, if Perrin Kaplan's recent response is anything to go by, where she told us just to delete them and then re-download, then they just don't care.

they're worried about rampant piracy if they introduce a hard drive - but things like that didn't harm the PS2 or xbox.

It has nothing to do with piracy.

if it's not piracy, what is it then? AFAIK - it was revealed that the WiiWare limit is 40Mb. Even at that limit, along with channels and VC games - you're not going to squeeze very much onto your Wii.

I can't see how it can be piracy. You can already copy executables from your SD Card to the Wii and run them from there. They've got DRM in place to make sure that it can only run on the Wii where it was downloaded from.

They probably believe that most folk play games and then forget about them, which would make their fridge analogy valid. The problem is, it takes me about a minute to swap discs. It takes much longer to download or copy from the SD Card.

Why hoard all your downloads onto SD card? I don't understand why this is needed, since we can download everything again anyway, and it doesn't take long.

I've got into the habit of copying all my VC downloads onto my SD card immediately after buying them. I know that they're available to re-download, but for how long? I'm not convinced that Nintendo are going to keep these things available in perpetuity. It is a pain in the arse to do it though, and even more so when you decide you want to play one of your deleted games, and have to delete something else to make room and load it in again.