Exciting Wiitails

could someone please explain the logic at NoE, i don't understand.

if the ds is region free, and has been successful for them, (with only the hardcore importing games from abroad) why region lock the console?

the average gamer will wait for games to appear in shops (just like they do with the ds) and shops won't sell imported Wii games anymore than than they do imported DS ones at the moment.

so what am i missing? the wii is a mainstream proposition - so why adopt different approach to the DS?

Just went for a pal unit classic pad, zelda,excite truck,red steel,wii play. I had tossed and turned over a import unit and a pal unit but weighing up the price that the import unit may out price the pal unit plus lack of 12 month i thought fuck it and went pal. If Noe decided to play funny games with release dates ill pick a import wii up down the line.

could someone please explain the logic at NoE, i don't understand.

if the ds is region free, and has been successful for them, (with only the hardcore importing games from abroad) why region lock the console?

the average gamer will wait for games to appear in shops (just like they do with the ds) and shops won't sell imported Wii games anymore than than they do imported DS ones at the moment.

so what am i missing? the wii is a mainstream proposition - so why adopt different approach to the DS?

One of the main reasons is due to publishing; games are published and distributed by territory. So when a game is sold to a publisher it is usually done as part of a European deal, or a US deal. To the big guns this might not make too much difference and they might just go for world wide; but there are many publishers that only work in a single territory, only receiving any money from a product if it is their version of a game sold. So having a system that can be locked to your region is a security level for the publisher, it allows them to guarantee that they can control each specific territory without the fear of imports spoiling their sales.

It does make sense really, although we as gamers would all love same time world wide releases and the like, it's not really feasible on a business level, not unless all publishers went global and only dealt in world wide sales rights.

Another, more historical reason is different formats: PAL and NTSC; these barriers still exist today, but maybe by the time the next set of consoles ship we'll all be looking at a more universal format, not requiring the developer to produce multiple versions of a title apart from language.

One of the main reasons is due to publishing; games are published and distributed by territory. So when a game is sold to a publisher it is usually done as part of a European deal, or a US deal. To the big guns this might not make too much difference and they might just go for world wide; but there are many publishers that only work in a single territory, only receiving any money from a product if it is their version of a game sold. So having a system that can be locked to your region is a security level for the publisher, it allows them to guarantee that they can control each specific territory without the fear of imports spoiling their sales.

It does make sense really, although we as gamers would all love same time world wide releases and the like, it's not really feasible on a business level, not unless all publishers went global and only dealt in world wide sales rights.

I think he wanted to know why the DS could be region-free and not the Wii...

I imagine they'd be under embargo until the magazines start hitting newsstands, however I expect Cyhwuhx and veloS to give us some scoopage.

.::: Well technically it's just the same as with other consoles. So some early some not. Depends on the developer. I do expect they'll want to ride the launch wave, so unless a game can get big early exposure they'll probably will start to allow them with a Wii-launch issue of a mag. I expect Red Steel to pop-up early somewhere.

Just went for a pal unit classic pad, zelda,excite truck,red steel,wii play. I had tossed and turned over a import unit and a pal unit but weighing up the price that the import unit may out price the pal unit plus lack of 12 month i thought fuck it and went pal. If Noe decided to play funny games with release dates ill pick a import wii up down the line.

I might import one when new colours start being offered. Then I'd be able to tell my Wiis apart!

In other news, I've cancelled my Play order and have ordered from GAME. I've changed my order from Wii, Zelda and classic controller to Wii, Zelda and Red Steel.

.::: Well technically it's just the same as with other consoles. So some early some not. Depends on the developer. I do expect they'll want to ride the launch wave, so unless a game can get big early exposure they'll probably will start to allow them with a Wii-launch issue of a mag. I expect Red Steel to pop-up early somewhere.

Do the mags have consoles yet?

27 Sep 2006 - Nintendo's Satoru Iwata and company discuss the Wii Message Board in-depth and reveal a new feature of the console.

In the latest part of a series of interviews, members of the Wii development team at Nintendo in Japan have discussed the birthing of the Wii's Message Board - a unique element that they envision members of the whole family becoming attached to - and they've revealed an interesting statistical feature, called the Play History.

Unlike the Wii Channels, the Message Board is a console-wide feature, which is aimed at collecting "Memories over time, recording what different family members have done," said Nintendo President Satoru Iwata. Tamaki, who was heavily involved with its creation, said, "I envision the Message Board helping everyone in the family communicate with each other. These days, because everyone is so busy, it is becoming more and more difficult for people to take the time to sit around the table and chat."

Combined with date sorting and calendar integration, the Message Board will enable interaction with games, and, for example, "If you're playing Animal Crossing, a message like “Concert next Saturday in town” will automatically be posted on the Message Board," said Tamaki.

Continuing, Tamaki said that once connected to the internet, friends could become involved in the Message Board experience, provided that both parties register one another - just as with the Nintendo DS friends code system. Details that could be shared could relate to recent purchases, explained Tamaki. "Let's say someone buys a new game. When they switch on their console, a question could appear on the screen: "Do you want to let your friends know you have bought this game?" If you select "Yes", the message "X has bought the game Y!" will pop up on your friends' Message Boards." He added that such elements are still to be finalised.

Aoyama, another team member, insisted that the Wii Message Board is more simplistic than email. "We hope it will allow a relaxed style of interaction, allowing the user to feel that there are other people out there, connected to the net." He added, however, "Users can exchange game data or screenshots. E-mail messages can also be exchanged between mobile phones and Wii."

http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/image...annel_menu.jpg

The Play History is another new feature offered by the Wii, and refers to the console's ability to keep track of, obviously, what games have been played and for how long. Originally, Iwata himself pitched the "Outlandish suggestion" of offering parents the option of setting the console to automatically turn off after a set amount of time, but technically, the idea was not feasible.

Instead, the Play History was birthed, and the data collected is unable to be deleted and can be viewed by parents. More excitingly, "It's just really fun for users to be able to see the record of how long they played," said Iwata. "In the future, we could make it possible to plot on a graph how much you've played. Also, with users' cooperation, we could compile data on which game was the most played that year."

Iwata concluded the discussion by revealing his personal surprise at the result of the Wii. "I would say that in all honesty I did not expect to see the hopes that I had for Wii in the beginning so fully realised in the finished product," he said. "I can hardly wait to see how people respond to the console. I don't mean whether they like it or not; I mean it in the sense of wondering what uses people are going to find for Wii. I think we've really come up with something pretty special."

Sweet.

That's more or less confirming that there won't be friend codes for each game.

http://ms.nintendo-europe.com/wii/?site=v3_03.html&l=enGB

That isn't to say, however, that all of your information is available to other people. I should just stress the point, in case anyone gets the wrong idea, that this network basically works in the same way as the one for Animal Crossing on DS. That is, connection is not possible unless both users register each other. That means there won't be any unwanted communication from strangers, like harassment or suspicious spam messages.

Yeah, so basically it'll be like a Gamertag then.