IGNORED

Exciting Wiitails

The Liberal Elite

I think if the remote's close enough to you, you'll hear it anyway.

I've just had a fantastic idea, have one of those games where you've got an annoying sidekick commenting the whole time, only the sidekick is the Wiimote. It starts slagging you off if you're doing badly, and if you're wafting it about brutally it says something like "I'm gunna hurl!".

Or make it Eternal Darkess and have the controller scream unexpectedly and scare the living shit out of you.

Are you lot still going on about cables? I thought the situation was made clear several pages ago. I want to know more about that Domino game, it looked very Katamari-ish.

EDIT: Apparently it's called "Mr D. Goes to Town". Huzzah!

Mr. D?

mrdominoeurope.jpg

Hopefully they'll add an option to turn the remote speaker off, that way it'll use less battery power too.

Let's hope - it would be common sense to include it.. But I worry :(

Apparently the speaker in the remote is shit and crackly and detracts from Mario and Zelda by having crappy quality sounds instead of them just coming from the tv.

Exactly, I think that was posted earlier today. I mean, the idea is great; I'd just like the option of ignoring it as well. I'm sure some really inventive uses of the speaker will be made; its just I don't really see how having coin collecting or sword swinging sound effects coming from the controller is more 'immersive' - I can only see it being distracting.

EDIT: Yes Alex, those ideas are cool! :( But is it really necessary in Mario, for example? Just seems like a gimmick tbh.

All I'm saying is that the whole ethos of the machine is to reject the kind of opinions and priorities that hard core gamers have built up over thirty years of playing. It's about inclusivity, so it doesn't surprise me that they may not be putting a premium on the AV requirements of the hard core. Instead they are putting in a lead which allows everyone to play straight out of the box.

I don't really understand your reply about the 360. If I buy a HD console I'd absolutely expect it to have a HD cable with it.

That's not true, is it? All I'm saying is Nintendo's priorities are different to the other two. They are pushing the graphical envelope whilst Nintendo look to different things.

Right, let me stop you there. The reasoning behind not including RGB would have NOTHING to do with the ethos of the machine. The fact they have said graphics aren't the way forward is fine, but this has nothing to do with graphics and everything to do with the clarity of those graphics. RGB is a way of viewing what's already there. As someone pointed out, the bloody Megadrive had it 14 years ago. It's not a premium connection, every piece of video equipment in the last 10 years or so seems to support it. It's about as "premium" as having colour instead of black and white. By supporting component, Nintendo themselves ackwnoledge the importance of a clear picture. It would be completely stupid not to include RGB

As for Nintendo's market, don't get confused here. They're trying to attract new people, but that doesn't mean they want to do it at the expense of losing their current fan base. Old grandmas couldn't care less about Mario and Zelda

Look, I'm sorry if I haven't made myself clear. But my sneaking suspicion is that a lot of people in this discussion find it impossible to understand that most people outside of this forum don't care about leads and cables. I'm not saying it's good that Nintendo may not be supporting RGB at all, or that composite cables aren't inferior (Dude Ranch above was spot on with what he said). All I'm saying is that there's probably a middle ground. Describing it as a crime to play Metroid Prime via composite is pretty extreme, for example.

And the answer to the quote above is simply because a lot of people don't care.

But a lot of gamers do care. The new crown Nintendo will be trying to attract will be in the minority.

Exciting Wii News!

Just got off the blower with NoE, and they said that the PAL Wii is shipping with an RF cable and only supports 50hz. Apparently some pensioners (who are a new focus for them now) only have RF sockets on their old TVs and 60hz would probably cause them to explode. (the TVs not the pensioners)

:(

Really? no Wii play for the States? Weird. I wonder what the reasoning behind that is.. :(

Hmm the little speaker in the remote is going to be a bit of a gimmick as well, isn't it? Now, I'm sure its going to have a volume control, but what if I want to play a game very loud, and then not be able to hear the remote anymore? I'm not bothered about the sound quality so much, I just think the speaker in remote is a massive gimmick.

And its going to be fucking annoying to have coin sounds continuously coming out of it in Mario.

Yeah, it's an ok feature but it sounds like a gimmick more than anything. I think it'll be used for menu sounds or just ignored in most games.

Exactly, I think that was posted earlier today. I mean, the idea is great; I'd just like the option of ignoring it as well. I'm sure some really inventive uses of the speaker will be made; its just I don't really see how having coin collecting or sword swinging sound effects coming from the controller is more 'immersive' - I can only see it being distracting.

But...but...it MUST be more immersive as you're holding the remote like a sword and therefore the sound corresponds to the way you're waving it! No aspect of Wii is remotely questionable and it's an absolute given that it will prove the most intuitive and immersive console EVER in every single way!

I'd be staggered if the Euro Wii doesn't support RGB. But I won't lose any sleep over it.

FWIW, I often hook up my iPod to the telly via composite to show photos to the kids. They look fine. I don't see why photos on a Wii via composite would look any worse.

(And I do understand and appreciate the quality difference between composite and RGB, all my existing stuff is on RGB except the N64.)

What is Wii Play, anyway? Anyone got any details?

Its a collection of little games, kinda like Wii sports - I think it features pool, table tennis, etc.

Someone will link in a minute, I'm quite sure :( I have work to do (I mean a cig break to take! :( )

But...but...it MUST be more immersive as you're holding the remote like a sword and therefore the sound corresponds to the way you're waving it! No aspect of Wii is remotely questionable and it's an absolute given that it will prove the most intuitive and immersive console EVER in every single way!

Quiet you sarky bast :(

icon11.gifpiss.gif

so are we assuming it does? or is their evidence of it.

i can't seem to find anything that refers to it on the web..

wii.nintendo.com says it supports rumble:

In addition to its pointing and motion-sensing abilities, the Wii Remote controller also includes a speaker, rumble feature and expansion port for additional input devices, such as the Nunchuk controller.

But not in situations where I like to play my games LOUD, and the poor little speaker gets completely drowned out. And then I cant hear the coin collecting noises anymore.

It's just a bit of a weird idea.

And plus; I want REAL lightsabre noises - not piddly, tinny, crackly shit sounding ones.

Im leaning towards a US wii. Im more bothered about the online stuff working as normal rather than my gamecube compatibility (worst comes to worst, i still have my cube). I think its a bad decision for the gamers that can tell the difference between composite and rgb (Majority on here), to leave rgb out. My rear projection tv has component i think but doesnt do prog scan, but is crap for games anyway, i want to play on my 28inch widescreen crt. :(

Unbelievably, I managed to do what I told myself I should be careful not to do, and that is to confuse composite and component.

What I meant to say was: can you get component to SCART connectors?

Google Image says yes, of sorts:

rgbs-scart_th.jpg

No idea what the final signal would come out as, nor where the red stereo input would go though...

This may have been asked/amswered before but, can it use the GC psu or will i need a stepdown until the uk version is out ?

What is in the US box - do you get a component lead or is that seperate ?

You can't use the GC power supply.

Apparently the US Wii will come with a combined component/composite like the 360, but i'm not 100% sure.

Google Image says yes, of sorts:

rgbs-scart_th.jpg

No idea what the final signal would come out as, nor where the red stereo input would go though...

There are two types of component video signal, though, there's RGB and Y-Pb-Pr, although confusingly they both use red, green, and blue plugs. If the Wii component cable is the latter, will it work with that sort of SCART adaptor?