IGNORED

Exciting Wiitails

The Liberal Elite

Links sword works just like if you pushed the A button, except you are swinging it. So when you swing the remote it wont swing in game the same way you are doing it. Its not like Red Steel.

That's true, but there's also the special spinning sword move, which is done by shaking the nunchuck, not the remote.

Having had the weekend to get over the hype, I've got a few major concerns right now:

1) Advertising. With the non-gaming functions, they're not quite as dependent on using demo pods to bring in customers, but they're going to have to get this "channels" idea across properly. They've got to make the heads of the households decide that they want to give the kids one, and they want to watch the news, mess with their photos, and get the weather forecast on it. Position it as an easy way to get into photo editing. All of this is a leap above what Nintendo are used to doing.

2) The price of the controllers. This "for everyone" approach isn't going to work as well if people can only buy one spare controller, or worse, don't buy an extra controller at all. It won't matter if the Wii has fantastic success and everyone can just bring their own controller, but it's still going to put people off a bit.

It's also (to reinforce this) 50% more expensive than the US controller, at £45 for the nunchuk + pointer, compared to £30 for the same in the US. That's an absurd markup, tax or not tax.

3) David Yarnton. If Reggie is Nintendo's bullish new public face, Yarnton is a symbol of the disconnected, uninformed Nintendo PR of old.

Edit- There's no excuse, in the internet age, for the region confusion. They should've been able to sort out, across the different regions, what they were going to say in response to that question. This isn't Yarnton's fault exactly, but it's worrying really.

Edit- There's no excuse, in the internet age, for the region confusion. They should've been able to sort out, across the different regions, what they were going to say in response to that question. This isn't Yarnton's fault exactly, but it's worrying really.

The mistake was actually on the US side, for once Yarnton was completely right. Apparently US reps are now confirming that the console and all first party games are region locked.

3) David Yarnton. If Reggie is Nintendo's bullish new public face, Yarnton is a symbol of the disconnected, uninformed Nintendo PR of old.

They just need to be more professional, more connected. I think a lot of the blame in that respect lies with the higher ups at Nintendo than it does with Yarnton...he'll say what he's been told.

I wouldn't like to see a 'British Reggie' take control and become a public face - One Reggie is embarassing enough....he's the Graham Poll of the videogame world.

I wouldn't like to see a 'British Reggie' take control and become a public face - One Reggie is embarassing enough....he's the Graham Poll of the videogame world.

I don't know about that. Personally I think Reggie is one of the best things that happened to Nintendo in a long, long time. He gives a face to the company, and I think Nintendo needed that.

I don't know about that. Personally I think Reggie is one of the best things that happened to Nintendo in a long, long time. He gives a face to the company, and I think Nintendo needed that.

I'm sure he's good at what he does. I just think he's a bit cringeworthy, but perhaps that's the point. He's very brash, very...American. I don't think one of his ilk would work so well here.

This is actually rubbish:

pxp417Arcade3format.jpg

But if the stick was a quality analogue item, all you'd need is a mounted mouse on the right, attached to a short pivoting rod.

Some handily located buttons and you're away.

:wacko:

If that's your idea of controller innovation, I can see why you're sceptical of the wii.

I hope Nintendo 'forgot' to patch the leak called Freeloader. If Freeloader works on the Wii AND with both Cube and Wii-games it would make life a whole lot easier.

The Freeloader is based on the disk image of a particular GameCube game, so I'm not sure they'd want to block it. It's hard to imagine it working with Wii games as well, though.

The Freeloader is based on the disk image of a particular GameCube game, so I'm not sure they'd want to block it. It's hard to imagine it working with Wii games as well, though.

Are you sure? I'm not doubting, as the early ps2 action replay was based on the crazy taxi disc image allegedly, I'm just curious.

Partly because Datel's gamecube discs (freeloader, AR and max drive pro) are all region free discs

The mistake was actually on the US side, for once Yarnton was completely right. Apparently US reps are now confirming that the console and all first party games are region locked.

That's good to hear. Maybe it means Kaplan was wrong about the support for USB storage (earlier it implied that USB mass storage would be usable).

Well it's not good to hear really is it, if all the games are to be region-locked. :wacko:

Would the difference in mechanism not come into it? The GC lid being opened and the wii disc being ejected are quite different, no? I imagine eject = reset on the wii.