Neo Geo Pocket Color

Yeah, I know it's been discussed before, but I picked up my NGPC on the way into work this morning to play on the bus, and I'm damn glad I did. (Puzzle Bobble all the way).

It's flawed, badly in the screen sense, and especially next to modern machines, but oh my god the stick is great and SNK's arcadey feel seems to just ooze out of it.

Also being a complete geek I must appreciate the joy of obscure hardware. So when enjoying the inevitable ale of the evening, raise one for SNK and the NGPC. Maybe it didn't deserve to be handheld leader but there's a charm to it that seems absent from many systems today. Clamshells, microswitches, no licenses . . . ah.

Indeed, 'tis a great system (which has been said many times before). I was hoping to get hold of a frontlight soon, but the dude over at neogeo forums seems to be having trouble sourcing the components. Shame.

Another complete geek here (I'm sure there can't be many more on here, though...) so I've got most of the UK games for it. Also got a Gizmondo and an N-Gage to complete the unpopular/unappreciated handhelds collection.

I think the screen is great, much better than the original GBA. As for the games, you have to get the right ones - there was a definitive thread on this a few months back. Check out:

King of Fighters R-2***

Samurai Shodown 2

The Last Blade

Match of the Millennium

Gals Fighters

Faselei

Evolution (very expensive)***

Cardfighters Clash (so WIN it hurts)

Dark Arms Beast Buster 1999***

Shanghai Pocket

Sonic Pocket Adventure***

Neo Turf Masters

All of the above are either AAA or still at least merit purchase. Anything marked with the asterisks might not stand up to scrutiny however now we've been spoiled by good handheld games since.

I have one with Sonic Pocket Adventure, Card Fighters Clash, Pac Man and Puzzle Bobble. The games are difficult to find anywhere other than Ebay and as there's limited supply, demand is inevitably high for the software. The console itself is relatively inexpensive - I think they still sell units new in the Far East as there seems to be a never ending supply of sealed units (around £15).

Build quality is superb - the control stick is absolutely fantastic and the feel of the console (ergonomically) is better than a Gameboy (in all it's incarnations), a PSP, a Gamegear and a Nomad* and even the mighty DS. What lets the console down is the lack of a back light - conditions have to be perfect to actually appreciate the quality of the screen.

Sonic Pocket Adventure does get listed in top tens as "best game ever" (I think I recall reading that on Wikipedia) and it is a truly awesome title. It's one of the best Sonic games I have ever played.

Owning a Pocket Colour does give you kudos in gaming circles but if you want to be a real geek get a Wonderswan.

*watching anyone try and play these two consoles comfortably is like watching Jeremy Beadle holding a jelly.

:P Don't hate me.. o.k? ... But I really dislike the NGPC.

I bought one with 11 games ( brand new ) ... last xmas, and it really, seriously, disappointed me.

The screen is insanely dark. I thought it must be broken, but I managed to get a go on another, and realised that the ' dark dark screen ' is normal.

The games are amazingly simplistic. Not in a good way... in a Hong Kong key-ring game kind of way.

The machine feels really cheap, like something worth £10. I really hate the control stick, it just feels like cheap plastic.

Once I put it under my big lamp, and managed to see at least something, I found Sonic, Metal Slug and Fatal Fury to be the better games for the system.

My shocking disgust at the machine was also felt by my brother and friends. One said the ' Game Gear ' is better.. and others just laughed.

Now... this machine came-out in 99. It should have had a decent spec, and games of MD quality ( imo ) ... I didn't expect a ' DS ' .. quality screen, but at least something viewable in most lighting conditions.

I can imagine some people finding a degree of pleasure from it, but I personally couldn't wait to get rid of the thing.

It amazes me how hyped it has been over the past 3years. Retro Gamer and their big NGP article full of love, was the reason I finally bought one. :D

I feel sad for you Leon X, while not DS build quality, it sits so well in the hand (as previously stated) and the stick is the best control input on a handheld IMHO.

Pac Man, Crush Roller and Puzzle Bobble alone have given me hours of fun, and Neo Turf Masters kept me sane when my wife had her gall bladder out a few years back!

Needless to say I play outside mostly, even I can't defend the dark screen :)

A NGPC with all UK release games, everything fully boxed, sold for £550 on Ebay recently - I was watching it for days and my initial bid of £0.85 was sadly overtaken after about 16 seconds.

I played Sonic when I got home tonight and I agree with Asura to a degree but it is really great - it has the appeal of the Megadrive 2D originals and it's handheld - better than Sonic Rush :angry:

I don't think adorable charmer or Resident LEON X grasped the concept of "appreciation thread".

Yes, if you buy one in this day and age it's going to be nowhere near as bright as an SP, micro, DS/lite or PSP. but at the time the screen was waaaay better than a Gameboy Colour.

My must have game for the system is Cotton which did get a UK release but is quite difficult to source. Metal Slug 2 & Match of the Milennium were also ace (especially the minigames for the latter).

:ph34r: Sorry! I was tired and didn't notice the word ' Appreciation '

The machine isn't totally horrible, it's just the screen that really let it down for me.

Cheers!

Well yeah, as Dirk said, by today's standards it would be poor. However, I remember hating the GBC's screen - I just thought it was crap.

In fact I remember very few GBC games of note that weren't just sequels or remakes of earlier titles.

I really really love my NGPC... Been looking for the afterburner kit for quite a while now but without any luck. Can somebody tell me where to get one of these kits? The non-backlit screen is the only thing keeping me from playing it every day to eternity. I know you can use the afterburner kit for the original GBA, but it borders some of the screen :/

Best thing to do is to head over to Neo-Geo forums. I think the guy you want to speak to is called Xian Xi (or something similar). If you can send him a GBA SP (the earlier, less powerful frontlit ones are better) he can mod your NGPC for a relatively small fee.

It's probably gonna cost you a few bob though, with the postage and the SP. He's trying to source the parts to form a kit, that he was planning on selling for less than £20. Might never happen though.

The ones he does are very good, and probably only result in 5% screen masking (lower than using an afterburner kit).

I collect NGPC titles but the only one that I've really been hooked on is Cardfighter's Clash. The problem I find is that the other titles have been outdone on other consoles. If the only thing I owned was an NGPC then I would absolutely adore it because it has excellent representations of a whole host of genres. Unfortunately when I play something like Turf Masters or any of the fighting games on the system I always end up switching off after 20 minutes and booting up a Neo Geo Home Cart version.

• 2 years later...

It's ten years since the NGPC came out in the US/UK, which I've used as an excuse to go back to the machine and look over some of its notable games from a modern perspective:-

http://citystate.co.uk/archives/neogeo-poc...th-anniversary/

MOTM and Card Fighters Clash should be played by any handheld game developer who thinks that they're justified in offering a "cutdown" version of a home console game. I wonder if the unfinished MOTM2 will ever come to light?

MOTM and Card Fighters Clash should be played by any handheld game developer who thinks that they're justified in offering a "cutdown" version of a home console game. I wonder if the unfinished MOTM2 will ever come to light?

You're right - those two games are definitely among the best handheld games that have ever been made. Despite everything on newer machines, MotM is still one of the best fighters - if not THE best.

I think the thing with NGPC is that there is a consistency and "personaliy" to it's software library. As the library is small and most games were from SNK there is a consistency to the software. There are no lazy licenced titles, the fighters all have a consistent "look" i.e. there isn't a terrible version of Mortal Kombat forced or squeezed onto it. Also the games are clearly specificaly designed for the format rather than being badly ported and cut down versions of home console games. you can notice this in the exagerrated animation of the fighters.

I think this is why I like the system so much. It is basically a means to play great SNK handheld games. So many machines have a lot of shovelware but this wasn't the case on NGPC.

clicky clicky clicky.

Ah that lovely stick :)

I love my pocket colour, it only it wasn't for the insanely priced hard to get and rare games...

I made a (poor) attempt at completing the UK clam collection. Stopped at 24 games :o

I still have the odd eBay search for a cheap console to I can attempt to front light it...

Chris

Had a NGPC for quite a few years, in terms of how much I loved it... well, I had a GBC Color at the time, and i'm not one for favouritism!

Is it true that all the cartridges are flashable? I guess you have to make a linker or something.

When and if my Pandora ever turns up, i'm seriously looking forward to emulating this thing. Rather annoyingly I haven't found anything out there for the PSP, DS etc. that emulates it at full speed.

When and if my Pandora ever turns up, i'm seriously looking forward to emulating this thing. Rather annoyingly I haven't found anything out there for the PSP, DS etc. that emulates it at full speed.

I had Metal Slug, Card Fighters Clash and King of Fighters running on 'RacePSP' at full speed, but sadly compared to my proper NGPC, it looks like crap. The bright sharp screen shows the games in the poorest of lights and it just isn't as suited in terms of the crap stick on the PSP either. :facepalm:

• 3 weeks later...

I dug mine out of my mum's loft today! Along with Sonic, Picture Puzzle, Cardfighters Clash and Metal Slug ;) The backup battery thing is dead though, so I'll have to buy a new one tomorrow.

I absolutely adore the little dpad/stick. Why the PSP doesn't have something like it, I really don't know.

• 7 months later...

It has been done but I reckon most just use a GBA SP front light (that's what I did) as afterburner kits are particularly hard to come by now, and are pretty expensive, whilst GBA SPs can be had for a few quid at your local boot sale really. There is a tutorial hanging around online somewhere. It's not too difficult and doesn't require too much extra stuff.

Chris

Had one a few years back and enjoyed it, I remember liking Cardfighters, Sonic and the two Metal Slug games but there was nothing there that I thought was absolutely amazing, Sonic was my favourite but in the end it got sold on like a lot of my stuff. Like others here I would like to point out the stick was a thing of beauty!

Had one a few years back and enjoyed it, I remember liking Cardfighters, Sonic and the two Metal Slug games but there was nothing there that I thought was absolutely amazing, Sonic was my favourite but in the end it got sold on like a lot of my stuff. Like others here I would like to point out the stick was a thing of beauty!

That's playing it now, though - post-GBA. Remember the NGPC was doing the rounds concurrently with the Game Boy Color.

Just re-read a post I made in 2006, and it's surprisingly still quite aligned with what I think of the machine:

Samurai Shodown 2

The Last Blade

Match of the Millennium

Gals Fighters

Faselei

Cardfighters Clash

Neo Turf Masters

These games are still worth a go, with the two highlighted games as probably being the stars on the system. The problem with the likes of Sonic and Metal Slug is that they've been superceded by the likes of Sonic Advance and Rush, as well as Metal Slug Advance; though Pocket Adventure was certainly the best portable Sonic released up until that time. The great thing about NGPC fighting games is that due to the stick, as well as their portable-friendly minigames (this is a big factor for Match of the Millennium) there has yet to be a fighting game on a handheld that has come close - even the PSP ones like SF Alpha 3 and Guilty Gear, with their brilliant arcade conversions, lack the stylised combat and portability of the NGPC titles.

That's playing it now, though - post-GBA. Remember the NGPC was doing the rounds concurrently with the Game Boy Color.

The death end of the GBC though, right? I remember seeing NGPC's in Curry's alongside the GBA or is my memory failing me?

Anyway it would definitely have been excellent back in those days and I wouldnt be surprised if I add one to my collection if/when it becomes reborn!