IGNORED

If you could design a games console to be released within a year...

Rayn

With all the flaming going on between format fanboys and all the dissing Sony seems to be getting I was wondering what us mukers would look upon as a sensible games console to be released for the up and coming X360/PS3/Wii gen.

Would it have HD res as standard? Why/why not?

Would it have a hard drive or memcard or maybe even both?

Would it have A DVD drive? UMD? HD-DVD? Blueray? Something else?

Would it use a unique controller as a standard or a refined 'classic' one?

Would it be small and slick or big and cool?

Would it use an internal or external PSU?

Would you add something not seen as standard yet (eg keyboard/mouse, wireless router, I dunno, something new)

Personally I'm most excited about the Wii but I will admit that I am a bit worried about some aspects of it. While I'm not a HD res whore I'd still like to know if the Wii could output to 720p, this would be a great addition to the kinds of games possible on the console (you could have a RTS with small icons instead of them taking up 30% of the screen and you get clearer text for your stats screens and RPGs).

I'm also a bit worried that 95% of the games announced for the console so far seems to use the Wiimote as it's only way of controlling the game eventhough (as I understand it) you'll get a classic joypad with the console and you have the opertunity to use your old GC pads as well) there are tons of ppl disliking the idea of playing all games waving their arms around.

I think the 'perfect' console (imo) at the moment would be something like the Wii but with slightly more powerful hardware and not as strong focus on the Wiimote. I'm all for Nintendos idea behind the Wii and I'm glad they dare to do something as drastic to reach new usergroups.

I think the X360 is excellent and is only slightly overkill for the current marked regarding the HD focus but most games can be enjoyed on an old 4:3 telly but at reduced quality (something that may cause slight problems in some games).

The PS3 is, as I currently see it, too much too early with their innovation focused on areas I would'nt call a major leap for a games console. I may, of course, be proven wrong when it's released sometime later this year (or even next year if it goes really bad for Sony).

It would have five disc drives: one for DVD, one for HD-DVD, one for BluRay discs, one for Gamecube-sized discs and one for UMDs. It would be backwards compatible with every console ever released and have original cartridge slots for all of them hidden under a flap at the front. The flap would also reveal a 3D projection system that eliminates the need for a TV (although it will also display TV images up to 2160p).

It would support every memory card ever released an also feature three 1 TeraByte hard drives. The PSU would be internal and external - because it would have two, as two is better than one. To cool it down, a liquid nitrogen cooling system will circulate around a system of pipes inside it. It will need two plug sockets to power it.

The controller would be made of cheese.

It would cost £85 from Dixons and be called the 'Smegmeister'.

The launch title would be Croc 3.

The end.

EDIT: I missed the word "sensible" when I read the original post... So what I've just posted is just some fevered dream-console bollocks instead...

Relatively low-tech 32bit console with shit hot dedicated 2D sprite hardware (scaling, rotation, transparencies, multiple scroll layers). Basically like a specced up Neo-geo with a DVD drive that would (entirely fail to...) sell for around 100 quid. With a library of 2D shooters, beat-em-ups, RPGs, Strategy / tactics games.

Nope. Haven't seen many 2D games that even push 640x480 res yet (SF3, Guilty Gear, that's it really...). Would output progressive scan though.

Memory cards, optional hard drive (see below).

DVD drive for cost reasons.

Rip off of the Megadrive 6-button / Saturn pad only with a d-pad and analogue stick. Actually fuck it, while I'm at it it can have one of those NGPC microswitched mini joysticks instead of a d-pad... click, click, click, click...

Something like that tiny SNES they put out in Japan around 1998 which was the coolest looking console ever.

I... don't know. Not being amazingly techy... Maybe it would have one of those Megadrive style power leads with the big joint plug/transformer.

Would you add something not seen as standard yet (eg keyboard/mouse, wireless router, I dunno, something new)

Open source, like a home console version of the GPX2. Optional hard-drive kit like the PS2 Linux kit, with a C++ compiler and dedicated graphics and sound libraries (something similar to Allegro although hardware specific). USB slot for a keyboard?

EDIT: I missed the word "sensible" when I read the original post... So what I've just posted is just some fevered dream-console bollocks instead...

Relatively low-tech 32bit console with shit hot dedicated 2D sprite hardware (scaling, rotation, transparencies, multiple scroll layers). Basically like a specced up Neo-geo with a DVD drive that would (entirely fail to...) sell for around 100 quid. With a library of 2D shooters, beat-em-ups, RPGs, Strategy / tactics games.

Nope. Haven't seen many 2D games that even push 640x480 res yet (SF3, Guilty Gear, that's it really...). Would output progressive scan though.

Memory cards, optional hard drive (see below).

DVD drive for cost reasons.

Rip off of the Megadrive 6-button / Saturn pad only with a d-pad and analogue stick. Actually fuck it, while I'm at it it can have one of those NGPC microswitched mini joysticks instead of a d-pad... click, click, click, click...

Something like that tiny SNES they put out in Japan around 1998 which was the coolest looking console ever.

I... don't know. Not being amazingly techy... Maybe it would have one of those Megadrive style power leads with the big joint plug/transformer.

Open source, like a home console version of the GPX2. Optional hard-drive kit like the PS2 Linux kit, with a C++ compiler and dedicated graphics and sound libraries (something similar to Allegro although hardware specific). USB slot for a keyboard?

Call me nostalgic/geeky but I really like the sound of that. SOLD.

I'd like something along the lines of the 360 or PS3 in terms of power, but with a much larger HD - which could also work as a HD recorder/DVD writer and stream/copy stuff to and from the PC simply.

I wouldn't mind them doing a version that looked like a DVD Recorder either - it would sit neatly under your cable box then (as it'd be the only thing you needed there).

it'd be a 64 bit console that can only produce 2D games. All of which are japanese beat em ups, japanese shoot em ups, and maybe some scrolling beat em ups/shoot em ups. maybe even a puzzle game or two if somebody's daring. it will cost £300 and the controller is a fleshlight.

Why not just have a Neo Geo and be done with it. Or a new quiet small cute saturn with joysticks as standard instead of pad controllers.

It would have five disc drives: one for DVD, one for HD-DVD, one for BluRay discs, one for Gamecube-sized discs and one for UMDs. It would be backwards compatible with every console ever released and have original cartridge slots for all of them hidden under a flap at the front. The flap would also reveal a 3D projection system that eliminates the need for a TV (although it will also display TV images up to 2160p).

It would support every memory card ever released an also feature three 1 TeraByte hard drives. The PSU would be internal and external - because it would have two, as two is better than one. To cool it down, a liquid nitrogen cooling system will circulate around a system of pipes inside it. It will need two plug sockets to power it.

The controller would be made of cheese.

It would cost £85 from Dixons and be called the 'Smegmeister'.

The launch title would be Croc 3.

The end.

100_0050.JPG

No optical drive, HD only, so online distribution of titles only through the consoles own online network (controlled by me, the platform holder).

Open publishing/development platform with two tiers of approval:

Basic - whereby I as platform holder take 40% royalty and only do basic TRC check, no concept approval required. Anything published if it passes TRC.

Full - I take 20% royalty and have full QA, concept approval etc. This would be for full big publisher titles like what you see at retail now.

Development would be via a free reasonably high-level C/C++ SDK. Developed stuff could only be shared with other SDK owners until either Basic or Full approval had taken place and it would then be added to the online network.

CPU and Graphics hardware would be modest rather than bleeding edge. LOTS of unified RAM though. All titles 720p widescreen (modes enforced through SDK, other outputs possible but console OS handles conversion, all devs work to 720p wide).

Regular wireless console controllers (x360/ps2 style).

Multiple retail packages with different size HDs. The case would be a smooth rounded edge plastic box with an LED and a logo.

Combination of all three next gen. machines. The Wii's controller (though I'd want the 360 pad as well) plus the power of the PS3 / 360. No HD drive built in, I'd go down the route of having it as an addon like Microsoft are doing. External powersupply, I'd rather having a small machine and hide the brick. Definately ship with a built in hard drive, DVD drive for the games. Wireless internet out the box would also be nice.

Between the three next gen. machines, they've covered most the bases to be honest, just not in one complete package.